• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
I got some stuff back from the framers that I forgot to post.

Some of the stuff Bii got me at SDCC (that I will never be able to thank him enough for)

Allycat sketch (my pride and joy)

Sunstone 5 covers print

Sunstone Dragon fantasy

Revival by Jenny Frison

Olivia :) it's huge

That's some great stuff dude. I wish I had some comic art.

I got some stuff back from the framers that I forgot to post.

Some of the stuff Bii got me at SDCC (that I will never be able to thank him enough for)

Allycat sketch (my pride and joy)

Sunstone 5 covers print

Sunstone Dragon fantasy

Revival by Jenny Frison

Olivia :) it's huge
That Man With the Iron Fists poster...
Edit: Ah too late. RZA is pretty cool guy. Wu tang is for the children etc.

Messi

I knew I should have retaken the photo to hide that fucking poster lol. I need to take it down. Its not even the worst poster on my walls.

rShrByW.jpeg

I've never seen Savages either loooool

Wanna know something funny? I have never seen that movie. I bought the poster because I was excited for it. Never watched it.

I wont lie, I am a big RZA fan.
I heard it's a fun cheesy movie. It looked like the RZA finally gets to live his dream of being a kung fu master. I think it was the first movie Batista was in before GotG.

Edit: Batista was in other straight-to-DVD movies but this was his first movie that went to theaters and then did Riddick before GotG.

I hope Wada is as fabulous as I imagine he is.
he's a sweetheart
Wanna know something funny? I have never seen that movie. I bought the poster because I was excited for it. Never watched it.

I wont lie, I am a big RZA fan.
he's never good when he appears in things, but for some reason i like seeing him in things and will watch anything he's in. can't explain it

Zombine

Banned
And since he hasn't seen the pre-SE version he won't be bothered to hell and back by some of the "additions".

Lol those fucking rocks in a New Hope though...that was just lazy. After seeing that it was absolutely time for Lucas to call it quits.

PHKesK7dl79eMT_1_l.jpg

That rock they added is the one on the right blown up. Lol....and how is R2 supposed to get out of there? SMH.

Lol those fucking rocks in a New Hope though...that was just lazy. After seeing that it was absolutely time for Lucas to call it quits.

Even the stuff that wasn't awful inherently suffers from the fact that it looks like shiny CGI when basically any location that isn't an Imperial instillation should look worn and vaguely grimy. If they offered a non-butchered version I'd be all over the Blu-rays, but I can't justify buying them as they are.

So I went to the Cincy Comic Con today. I usually go on Saturdays but this year I had to work so Sunday it was. I really wanted a sketch from Phil Noto and Ming Doyle so those were going to be my first targets.

Get there right at opening and head straight to Phil Noto and the very first thing I see is a big sign at his table that says "Sketch List Full." Bummer. Last Year we bought a limited print that he did so my wife kept with tradition and bought this years limited print.

So then next I goto Ming Doyles table and she is not there. Waited around for like 10 min in her area and she didnt show up. There goes my artist plans so my only other plan was I really have been wanting the Darth Vader Black Series figure but not willing to pay the $40-60 price that it has been going for. So I found a vendor that had it and had it marked for $40. I talked him down to $30 and now I have my Vader on the shelf.

We looked in the Vendor area some more and I decided to walk back towards Ming again and she was there! But she was booked also :( My wife and I both agreed that she was super cute though. She signed my Constantine book and I asked her how her and James split up the writing duties and she said that they split it 50/50.

So, my plans were done in the first hour but had money to blow so I improvised. Stopped by Cameron Stewart and Brenden Fletcher and got some stuff signed and bought the Batgirl print.

Cameron and Brendon were so very nice and a pleasure to talk to.

Next I found and artist who had some time to do a sketch for me. I asked him for a Jared Leto Joker and he told me it wouldn't be exact, otherwise, I might as well just print a pic of the internet. I agreed and left him to do his thing. This was the end result which I was initially disappointed in but it has grown on me to wear I love it. Its creepy.

Then I went to Mike Norton of Revival and gave him the option of doing Margot Robbie Harley or Kylo Ren. He picked Kylo Ren and this is the actual piece that im kinda "meh" on. Just not very good IMO.

Some other small stuff that my wife and I got.

Jeff Parker is amazing and one of the nicest comic creators I have ever met. He told me JLU was getting cancelled before the announcement tonight.

Ok, so walking around somewhat disappointed with the commissions that I got so far, I had one last shot with only limited money left. I saw Ryan Browne all by himself and asked him if her had any slots available and he said one more. I took it. He asked me what I wanted and I said I wanted something with my cat in it. So I showed him a picture of my cat on my phone here.

He had me send the pic to his email. He asked me what I would like my cat to be doing and I said I would like my cat to visit the imagination of Ryan Browne. He smiled and said thank you and I walked away. I came back to something that made me smile, laugh, and really just lifted my spirits.

Amazing!

Thats my con experience in a nut shell.

Messi

PHKesK7dl79eMT_1_l.jpg

That rock they added is the one on the right blown up. Lol....and how is R2 supposed to get out of there? SMH.

What am I even looking at? Why is this a big deal?

7 issues for Omega Men?!? wtf thats all they give it? I do not understand some business decisions of the Big 2

It's just DC at this point. It seems like they're killing all their good books in favor of more Superman, more Justice League, more event books. Which is the exact opposite of what interests me.

What am I even looking at? Why is this a big deal?

They're just little cosmetic changes that were made to the "Special Edition" versions of the original trilogy. Purists despise these changes. I do not know if I am a purist.

Ok, so walking around somewhat disappointed with the commissions that I got so far, I had one last shot with only limited money left. I saw Ryan Browne all by himself and asked him if her had any slots available and he said one more. I took it. He asked me what I wanted and I said I wanted something with my cat in it. So I showed him a picture of my cat on my phone here.

He had me send the pic to his email. He asked me what I would like my cat to be doing and I said I would like my cat to visit the imagination of Ryan Browne. He smiled and said thank you and I walked away. I came back to something that made me smile, laugh, and really just lifted my spirits.

Amazing!

Thats my con experience in a nut shell.

Damn. Sorry you didn't have more luck, but that cat sketch is incredible.

It's just DC at this point. It seems like they're killing all their good books in favor of more Superman, more Justice League, more event books. Which is the exact opposite of what interests me.

Well, and when they do have an interesting book that's selling well they try to kill it with head in ass editorial choices. *looks at Batwoman* *looks at how they fired Gail Simone off Batgirl early in the run for 5 minutes before they rehired her*

I should say that I met all the amazing creators they had like Rick Remender, Jeff Parker, Ming Doyle, Cameron Stewart, Brendon Fletcher, Ray Fawkes, Tony Moore, Ryan Browne, Phil Noto, etc and I got to talk to them one on one and they were all very nice and that was an experience in itself that was worth it. Im coming off as a spoiled brat I guess with that other post.

Well, and when they do have an interesting book that's selling well they try to kill it with head in ass editorial choices. *looks at Batwoman* *looks at how they fired Gail Simone off Batgirl early in the run for 5 minutes before they rehired her*

Batwoman would have still ended on a high note had they just ended it after Blackman and Williams left the book. As for the Simone thing, it worked out the way it did because DC was completely unprepared for backlash. I think they put her back on Batgirl immediately only because they had no plan to explain the reasoning or otherwise stem the tides of twitter rage.

In hindsight, it was probably not the right move because Simone's heart hadn't been in the book for some time. And I'd say again that editorial was the reason behind this. Buncha fucking editors thinking they're writers now.

Messi

Batwoman would have still ended on a high note had they just ended it after Blackman and Williams left the book. As for the Simone thing, it worked out the way it did because DC was completely unprepared for backlash. I think they put her back on Batgirl immediately only because they had no plan to explain the reasoning or otherwise stem the tides of twitter rage.

In hindsight, it was probably not the right move because Simone's heart hadn't been in the book for some time. And I'd say again that editorial was the reason behind this. Buncha fucking editors thinking they're writers now.

She has said this. She was told she needed to write a book that fit with the rest of the house style batbooks when she repeatedly asked to write a fun Batgirl.

Sandfox

Notice how when Simone finally left the book it was allowed to got in a new direction that helped it immensely. I don't really blame them for rehiring her because IIRC the editor was new and she basically blackmailed him.

Well, yeah, I sorta meant everything with the Simone situation was badly handled. And yeah, they can't just let any creator actually be, uh, creative unless it meets their narrow concept of creative. It's pretty telling when you look at the more recent history of badly received DC story points and are told how many of them were directed from above.

Notice how when Simone finally left the book it was allowed to got in a new direction that helped it immensely. I don't really blame them for rehiring her because IIRC the editor was new and she basically blackmailed him.

Oh, I still enjoyed most of Simone's run. Not her best work, but she's a talented writer when she's given a chance to actually write. There's also the fact that the rumours on the reasoning for terminating her in the first place were potentially pretty questionable, but I have no idea how true any of them are.

She has said this. She was told she needed to write a book that fit with the rest of the house style batbooks when she repeatedly asked to write a fun Batgirl.

She's pretty phenomenal when she's just left alone to do her thing. Secret Six (volume 1) and Red Sonja are evidence of this. But ever since the DC reboot, DC has had some master plan that no one is clued into. But I don't think fun is part of the plan.

She's pretty phenomenal when she's just left alone to do her thing. Secret Six (volume 1) and Red Sonja are evidence of this. But ever since the DC reboot, DC has had some master plan that no one is clued into. But I don't think fun is part of the plan.

The secret plan is that all characters must be boring and alone.

Catwoman, Justice League 3001, and Midnighter are all doing worse than Gotham Academy.
Martian Manhunter, Doctor Fate, Red Hood Arsenal, and Black Canary will probably fall below it too.

Gotham Academy will survive the next round.

Red Hood needs to die a fiery death. It's just so fucking bad.

Messi

She wanted to write a fun Batgirl from the start of the run but wasn't allowed.

so i went to Long Beach Comic-Con these past two days and surprisingly spent way more on books than i did sketches (even though i got 5 of those - oddly not that expensive at this show?). Like jesus guys, i bought sooooooo many books from people

I didn't really have a game plan this year, and just winged it. I tend to hit up artist alley first thing so i can get on lists and such, but i didn't get there on Saturday until like 1. So i had assumed that most artists' commission lists were full, but that wasn't ever really the case, except with Kris Anka on Sunday (who i didn't hit up then because he suggested getting there early, which didn't end up happening). That's the cool thing about a show like this. I ended up seeing Chuck BB's table, where he didn't look particularly busy, so he was first up. I had him draw Blackheart (though he offered Shuma, but i already had one of those - i'd love to see his take on that though), 'cause that's kinda metal, yeah? I also bought a copy of his book Black Metal.
Next, I hit up Dennis Culver and bought a copy of an OGN he drew, Odd Schnozz and the Odd Squad and got on his list for a sketch, where he picked Thanos to draw.
I also met Justin Greenwood, bought a Fuse TP, got on his list and talked to him for a bit (rad dude). I was really curious as to how he has like 3 comics coming out all at once, since he's doing The Fuse and Stumptown at the same time, but the latter isn't regular, and The Stringers was mostly done for a while. I didn't have a reference for him though so I just brought that (and a character list, super handy) and the book to him first thing on Sunday. I like how he draws people with guns, so Jill was the natural next choice since Cable is taken.
On saturday i also:
-met Janelle Asselin and the people of Rosy Press - all great ppl
-bought like almost every book Danny Djelsolvic was selling because it all looked like my kinda shit (millenials!). I read Panic Kids (super dope) that night and then went back to buy the remaining book on Sunday.
-chatted up Josh Fialkov a bit, fun dude and bought an issue of his weird-ass Punks comic, and he threw in a free copy of his new book King, with Bernard Chang, as well.
-bought two issues of a Zenescope Robyn Hood comic from Tony Brescini because the uncolored pages looked cool ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Devastator, a funnybook digest mag of sorts (fine folks as well), held basically a small press area section for cartoonists and such. It was cool because I bought a book from probably 80% of the people there. I talked to a dude (Michael Aushenker) about 80s LA punk and comic conventions for like a half an hour, very cool dude. I also saw Jasey Crowl, an artist who i met at Wondercon earlier in the year and we caught up and talked cons. Rad dude, bought his sketchbook.

I hit up Garry Brown right after I got the sketchbook back from Justin Greenwood - they were literally back to back - since JG told me that Garry was gonna be drawing a viking-type book, which is cool to me. I asked GB about it, he said it was coming out next year due to Image's "3-issue" policy. It's going to be written by Brian Wood (ayyy lmao) but fuck, I think Garry sold me on it by saying it was gonna be a 70s-Punisher vibe and also a Viking murder mystery. Despite there only being two hours left, he had time for a sketch, to my surprise. He and his wife were real awesome
So this artist, Evan Spears, wasn't someone i'd heard of before but we talked for a bit after he told me he was from Riverside (where i've lived literally forever).
I like all of them, but i'm gonna have to start forcing Capcom characters on people because it's starting to get hella uneven in here

tl;dr everyone at LBCC was nice and i had one of the best all-in-all con experiences this time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom