• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychBat!

Banned
Is the book good?

Yes.

CANCELLED
EdgeAnimated.gif

ElNarez

Banned
I doubt the only numbers or factors DC consider are diamond numbers.

It's a general thing. We're all guilty of it. DC, Marvel, Diamond, anyone who reports on the numbers, anyone who reads the numbers and tries pulling meaningful conclusions from them, we've all built those charts as the be-all end-all of a comic's shelf life, to the point where we've got a death watch for lower-selling books. And it's all based on mostly bullshit.

Boogiepop

I think you'll like Ranma. :p

Inuyasha is pretty good up until is drags and repeats although I've only watched the anime. I'ma also throw in One Piece cuz One Piece.

OK, while I admit I recall mostly enjoying what of Ranma I read back over a decade ago and it certainly has broad appeal in its audience (I know nothing of the details of Inuyasha or One Piece manga), I do need to say that the direction of your suggestions is, shall we say, interesting given your question and my response. :p

It's really fantastic stuff.

Now see, this reminds me that it's super lame that Urusei Yatsura's manga just plain isn't available in the US (though the anime was and is a cool adaptation with some actually really awesome examples of what "filler" can be), and Maison Ikkoku is terribly out of print over here. And I'm guessing the path I took of importing the Japanese versions wouldn't really work for most anyone here. Now THOSE are Rumiko Takahashi when she was great! Ranma I love but it's more of a guilty pleasure and also has a lot of crap, and I feel like Inuyasha was just a poor choice of genre for the way she gets caught in loops. And then Rin-ne... Rin-ne just plain sucks. I guess Ranma's at least kind of relevant by being a big old love dodecahedron, though it's not Shoujo, yeah.

As for legit shoujo stuff, for the most part a lot of it definitely is extra super formulaic. The easy recommendation for me is Ouran High School Host Club, which is just plain amazing. For another popular one that I actually recall legitimately liking (though it's been a while), Fruits Basket. Kare Kano is another one I haven't read in a while but it's an easy recommendation. I also recall liking A Devil and Her Love Song quite a bit.

Shoujo's a bit harder for me as it's not my personal favorite category, mostly due to the aforementioned tropeyness (so, soooo many books have a love triangle with two guys and the main girl, wherein there's a black haired serious "cool" guy, and a light haired guy who is either a little goofy (if this is his personality he loses out) or "rough" (in which case he gets the girl)). But there's still certainly some good stuff there.

tim1138

The comics industry will keep itself fucked if it can't see that kneejerk reactions to Diamond numbers is cutting your nose to spite your face, because those numbers are pretty much based on pre-orders and you can't expect an audience that's new to comics and the purchasing of them to go to that level of commitment.

You can't even expect them to go to comic shops, which is why you make it worse by not having timely TPB releases. Look at how well Squirrel Girl is doing collected and tell me seriously that couldn't be Prez or Omega Men.

And since we never get to see sales numbers from CMX, we'll never know how the book was performing digitally. Not that digital sales figure in on these decisions for any book not named Ms Marvel.

Now see, this reminds me that it's super lame that Urusei Yatsura's manga just plain isn't available in the US (though the anime was and is a cool adaptation with some actually really awesome examples of what "filler" can be), and Maison Ikkoku is terribly out of print over here. And I'm guessing the path I took of importing the Japanese versions wouldn't really work for most anyone here. Now THOSE are Rumiko Takahashi when she was great! Ranma I love but it's more of a guilty pleasure and also has a lot of crap, and I feel like Inuyasha was just a poor choice of genre for the way she gets caught in loops. And then Rin-ne... Rin-ne just plain sucks. I guess Ranma's at least kind of relevant by being a big old love dodecahedron, though it's not Shoujo, yeah.

As for legit shoujo stuff, for the most part a lot of it definitely is extra super formulaic. The easy recommendation for me is Ouran High School Host Club, which is just plain amazing. For another popular one that I actually recall legitimately liking (though it's been a while), Fruits Basket. Kare Kano is another one I haven't read in a while but it's an easy recommendation. I also recall liking A Devil and Her Love Song quite a bit.

Shoujo's a bit harder for me as it's not my personal favorite category, mostly due to the aforementioned tropeyness (so, soooo many books have a love triangle with two guys and the main girl, wherein there's a black haired serious "cool" guy, and a light haired guy who is either a little goofy (if this is his personality he loses out) or "rough" (in which case he gets the girl)). But there's still certainly some good stuff there.

Yeah, that's part of why my initial response to the question was a bit teasing about sticking me into one of two categories that tend to be, by definition, aimed at teenagers with a tilt of some degree towards either boys or girls. In the end, I mostly just want things with interesting, developed characters and situations with likely some sort of angle that's more slice of life and/or romantic. Which is, I know, the most totally specific and detailed concept ever, right?

OK, while I admit I recall mostly enjoying what of Ranma I read back over a decade ago and it certainly has broad appeal in its audience (I know nothing of the details of Inuyasha or One Piece manga), I do need to say that the direction of your suggestions is, shall we say, interesting given your question and my response. :p
I probably should have specified if you were into both. I tried to pick bookd that were a mix of both. I don't know much about shoujo books since I don't read them.

Edit: I didn't mean to put you on the spot or judge you it was just to see what stories your into.

Yeah, that's part of why my initial response to the question was a bit teasing about sticking me into one of two categories that tend to be, by definition, aimed at teenagers with a tilt of some degree towards either boys or girls. In the end, I mostly just want things with interesting, developed characters and situations with likely some sort of angle that's more slice of life and/or romantic. Which is, I know, the most totally specific and detailed concept ever, right?

It doesn't really have a "romance" component, per se (it crops up in one or two places, but it's a sports manga, so), but I always recommend Eyeshield 21 to anybody looking for Manga recs, because it's amazing. Great characters, solid drama. Incredible art, too.

Boogiepop

It doesn't really have a "romance" component, per se (it crops up in one or two places, but it's a sports manga, so), but I always recommend Eyeshield 21 to anybody looking for Manga recs, because it's amazing. Great characters, solid drama. Incredible art, too.
Eyeshield 21 is indeed goddamn amazing. I totally wrote off sports manga in general because I'm really not a sports guy, but I happened to give it a chance, and it ended up as one of my favorite series in general.

Also, another recommendation for something a little slower though not strictly shoujo/romance: Twin Spica. Absolutely beautiful and touching series, would really recommend giving it a look.

Messi

Some one explain this to me. Those Harley's little black book variants. They are open to order meaning stores can freely order them. They are in black bags so you can't see the covers. But if you buy one you are getting a variant cover or are some just regular covers?

All of those artists are amazing. Variants by:

Bruce Timm
Alex Ross
Lee Bermejo
Amanda Conner
Tim Sale
Terry Dodson
Joe Mad
Jim Lee
J Scott Cambell

Edit: OOOOH Grayson is gonna be in Starfire.

I'll look into some off the things brought up. This reminds me of one of the drawbacks manga can have, which is that it's a continuous story that can go on forever. x_X

I probably should have specified if you were into both. I tried to pick bookd that were a mix of both. I don't know much about shoujo books since I don't read them.

Edit: I didn't mean to put you on the spot or judge you it was just to see what stories your into.

Haha, it's OK. I'm just teasing a bit.

You probably want seinen and josei mangoes, then. Dorohedoro and Teppuu most certainly fill the criteria you've established with ease, as does Blame!, which is like, a freaking exercise on minimalism in regards to characterization.

But really, read Akira. Then reread Akira, because the second pass will reveal a whole other layer to the book. It should be available at comixo... what? 30 bux? what. the. fuck.

I mean, it remains one of the Great Books, but 30 dolla per trade? dear god.

Fair warning on dorohedoro: 2000 pages in, you'll most likely only have a very vague idea of what's happening.

Bii

Some one explain this to me. Those Harley's little black book variants. They are open to order meaning stores can freely order them. They are in black bags so you can't see the covers. But if you buy one you are getting a variant cover or are some just regular covers?

All of those artists are amazing. Variants by:

Bruce Timm
Alex Ross
Lee Bermejo
Amanda Conner
Tim Sale
Terry Dodson
Joe Mad
Jim Lee
J Scott Cambell

Edit: OOOOH Grayson is gonna be in Starfire.

I'm intrigued by these covers. Are they just cover price because I'd buy a dozen or so just to see what I would get.

So the only way to get Captain America: White #1 is to buy #0 again?

Fuck off, Marvel. I'll wait for the 99¢ sale.

That reminds me, remember when Marvel tried to make Inhumans a thing? They even included Inhuman #1 within the #1 issue (renumbering) of Amazing Spider-Man.

I'm excited for today; I get shipment of my first Hot Toys. :D

Hey y'all. Long time no see. Fell off into some other hobbies. Starting to chip away at my backlog now. Good to be back.

Anybody have thoughts on Rat Queens #11? Man, I thought Sejic had me sad about losing Upchurch, but Fowler damn near broke my heart. Good to have the Queens back, but the art is sad. I was getting more used to it as the issue went on, though. Hope that I can get over it.

Sad.

Basically, the Diamond numbers are based on pre-orders and guesstimates, which stop three weeks (or however long the final cut-off date is at right now, it's been a while) before the books actually hit the shelves and get into people's hands. Then, you lop off a bit at the top to get returns into account and you have data that's about as accurate a picture of the comic book industry as looking into animal innards.
That's...vivid...
Doesn't exist. Sorry.

Red Hood and the Outlaws says it does!

EDIT: Damn you neogaffer1!

That reminds me, remember when Marvel tried to make Inhumans a thing? They even included Inhuman #1 within the #1 issue (renumbering) of Amazing Spider-Man.
I have two copies of that (the regular issue and ASM #1) and I still haven't bothered to even look to see what it is.

Messi

Hey y'all. Long time no see. Fell off into some other hobbies. Starting to chip away at my backlog now. Good to be back.

Anybody have thoughts on Rat Queens #11? Man, I thought Sejic had me sad about losing Upchurch, but Fowler damn near broke my heart. Good to have the Queens back, but the art is sad. I was getting more used to it as the issue went on, though. Hope that I can get over it.

Sad.

OMG You came back!

tumblr_msohl4o1vP1sgl0ajo1_500.gif

I have been asking where you were for what feels like 2 years.

Roc was great, Sejic was even better imo (this is hardly suprising lol). Sejic couldnt stay long enough to show what he is really great at which is monster design and character faces/expressions. I feel the same about Tess, it was kind of like ewww starting out but it grew on me. She seems to be really into it and not likely to leave any time soon. She said she would only leave when there was no book left.

Kyle & Yost? I only read like six issues of it, but yes, it seemed pretty solid.

I'll check it out at some point soon. I have a lot of books stacked up, so that's holding me back a bit. Earth 2, finishing up Whedon's Astonishing, Secret Six, Moon Knight (Bendis and Maleev), some more Geoff Johns GL, and oh so much more.

Zombine

Banned

Sad.

Best avatar, best Moore book.

Ew that Catwoman cover is horrible.

What the hell is with all the delays at Marvel? even the Star Wars books are getting affected by this bullshit. Lando, Star Wars, Darth Vader and even Shattered Empire all shipping up to a month later. Shattered Empire just started!
Whaaaat? Well that sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom