• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's done. The Spirit of Sam Walton has left me. No turning back. I realized if the only audience I ever have is myself then that would be quite alright.

MG310

Is Ramos, Land and Bagley the worst lineup of artists the X-Men ever had? Like, good golly, Uncanny's pitch sounds way cool -it's basically Gillen's Extinction Team Part Deux- but it's Greg Goddamn Land, and man, I don't like that one bit.

Could be....though I'm happy to see Ramos do something besides Spidey.
Even though it gives him another number 1 issue to charge 15 dollars to grace with a signature.

I'm trying to remember the last time Chris Bachalo wasn't on one of the X books...feels like it has to be a decade or so?

Imma go out on a leg and guess that that's most likely because that archetype is generally written as borderline devoid of a sense of humor.

Something like that.

It's like they're just the right blend of every personality type ever created, but it creates such a non-personality type. They're just scrappy enough. Just cocky enough. Just loyal enough. Just stubborn enough. Just a good enough soldier. It's like "let's blend all the colors and make something brand n-oh wait. We just made white."

That's the best way I can describe it.

They don't stand out enough. For every archetype blended into them, there's a character I would rather pick who stands out. Granted, the whole "home town country boy" thing that Barry Allen has going on isn't much better. And yes, I know Clark is technically the progenitor of that, but Clark is Superman. He's a whole different ball game. And in Hal's case, it doesn't help at all that Hal is just the best GL ever forevers. So, now not only is he boring, but he's a god tier Lantern. Great.

This is why I need an editor haha

Thanks for reading! I've mentioned it before but you can keep reading it at rageagainstthejackal.com it just won't be in glorious HD and guided view

Niice..
Also pretty sweet motorcycle ED (cover?)

Oh man that view from
inside the mouth
is badasssss

Foofaraw

I have fallen off the bandwagon, lately. After reading Gotham Central, nothing I read really compares. I'm working through the Star Wars: Republic stuff on Marvel Unlimited right now. It's OK. Maybe I just need to read more Rucka.

I also have Dredd Apocalypse War to read. That should actually be really good!

Zombine

Banned
I have fallen off the bandwagon, lately. After reading Gotham Central, nothing I read really compares. I'm working through the Star Wars: Republic stuff on Marvel Unlimited right now. It's OK. Maybe I just need to read more Rucka.

I also have Dredd Apocalypse War to read. That should actually be really good!

I would ignore the old Star Wars EU and just move on to the new EU titles.

Is my Fiona Staples Rat Queens #1 variant worth money now that it's getting a cartoon?

Fiona did a velvet variant? Woah

C121320.jpg
I don't love this.. its aight

-------------------

Aww yisss,, whens this coming out??

I gotta say, I am not a fan of they way that artist draws Batman. He's like 100% bulge free.

The turtles look great tho

Lol.. well now that you point that out...
this is awkward ha

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 HD Final Chapter Prologue trailer

Yeah... that's what it's called.

All I know is, I ain't playing DDD again.

I'll never understand why they try to make those games as if anyone played them for the all the terribly written heartless/ friendship nonsense.

Nothing says "hey, steal pity me, there's a $200+ action figure in here" like the boxes Sideshow sends out. Not even double boxed.

Fix'd.
i kid, i kid
Always fascinated by how your mailmen just leave packages at the door. I assume that double boxed pertains to bagging the whole box?

Niice..
Also pretty sweet motorcycle ED (cover?)

Oh man that view from
inside the mouth
is badasssss
Thanks! Yes that bike illustration is a cover to chapter 2 although Im probably not gonna bother printing chapter 2 by itself. I've been printing up chapter 1 and 2 together and will print 3 and 4 together and 5 by itself to save on printing costs.

They'll each be released on comixology tho

Man you have the third highest amount of posts in here

I'd be all in for the Astro City sale but I can't keep dumping money like I have been on these. I bought a bunch from Fantagraphics and the Remender sales. Shame too, cause I really liked the one issue I did read of it.

Yesh, but I post a bunch at a certain time of day then disappear for the rest of it.

I've also been dumping a lot of money on these sales. Figure I'll just get the first 6 issues of AC tho

Thanks! Yes that bike illustration is a cover to chapter 2 although Im probably not gonna bother printing chapter 2 by itself. I've been printing up chapter 1 and 2 together and will print 3 and 4 together and 5 by itself to save on printing costs.

They'll each be released on comixology tho

Awesome,, yeah id like to get physical copies at some point too.. get the local Gaf artist to sign em,, maybe even a sketch :)
some time in the future

But yeah I do enjoy it,, thought issue #2 was very strong.

Tizoc

I'll never understand why they try to make those games as if anyone played them for the all the terribly written heartless/ friendship nonsense.

It's Japan man, don't even think about it or ask about it.
Will keep you saner.
Besides it's Disney+FF, that's the main appeal of it.

Dat new DanganRonpa doe
T5s569W.gif

It's Japan man, don't even think about it or ask about it.
Will keep you saner.
Besides it's Disney+FF, that's the main appeal of it.

Dat new DanganRonpa doe

What's the appeal of danganronpa? Good writing? I could probably get the psp version and emulate it or whatevs.

Mindwipe

Been away with work for a few days. Decided to re-read 52 on the plane.

Shit that book was good. I am still upset about what DC has done with The Question post Nu-52.

Awesome,, yeah id like to get physical copies at some point too.. get the local Gaf artist to sign em,, maybe even a sketch :)
some time in the future

But yeah I do enjoy it,, thought issue #2 was very strong.
Thanks! I'm probably biased but I think the book gets significantly stronger as it goes. Chapter 4, which I'm finishing up now, is many times better than chapter one. I think part of it is that as I go I become more comfortable with the way 120 pg comic stories are told.

In writing I went from writing 3-7 panel comic strips, to a 140ish panel story to one that is told in 800 panels or so. It's a big shift and it took some getting used to. I'm still probably best at writing comic strips given I've done like 150+ of those vs a handful of other types of comic stories.

I'll probably do a series of Kickstarters given the first one is successful. Mostly just to help me with printing costs and to pay a flatter. I found a pretty cheap printer recently so I'm excited about that. It reduces my current printing cost by like 32 percent

Tizoc

What's the appeal of danganronpa? Good writing? I could probably get the psp version and emulate it or whatevs.

iT'S A visual novel series about a psychotic, sadistic and adorable monochrome mechanical teddy bear, tormenting and mentally torturing high school kids into killing each other.
Succeeds in making the color pink terrifying also.
Better to play the Official Vita releases since their translations are better.

iT'S A visual novel series about a psychotic, sadistic and adorable monochrome mechanical teddy bear, tormenting and mentally torturing high school kids into killing each other.

That sounds super awful and totally unappealing to... um, anybody.

Ah. I see. Youtube it is then. Thanks o/

Donatello was my favorite.
Hells yeah me too
I was watching some of the newer TMNT movie ... First of all, fuck i couldnt make it through much., second.. I was genuinely annoyed Donatello looked like an idiot with those stupid ass glasses. God that annoyed me lol

----------

Thanks! I'm probably biased but I think the book gets significantly stronger as it goes. Chapter 4, which I'm finishing up now, is many times better than chapter one. I think part of it is that as I go I become more comfortable with the way 120 pg comic stories are told.

In writing I went from writing 3-7 panel comic strips, to a 140ish panel story to one that is told in 800 panels or so. It's a big shift and it took some getting used to. I'm still probably best at writing comic strips given I've done like 150+ of those vs a handful of other types of comic stories.

I'll probably do a series of Kickstarters given the first one is successful. Mostly just to help me with printing costs and to pay a flatter. I found a pretty cheap printer recently so I'm excited about that. It reduces my current printing cost by like 32 percent
I'll support the hell outa your projects man.. Just keep me updated .

---------
Also... Aaron Kuders art is on point in Action Comics #44!. Coloring is great as well .

I would ignore the old Star Wars EU and just move on to the new EU titles.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. Knights of the Old Republic, X-Wing, Purge. Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison are all worth reading. There's definitely some good stuff in the old EU. If he's got MU, might as well take advantage of reading some of those good stories.

Hey guys, I need some advice. I'm I think 9 issues into Punisher MAX. I don't really like it. Even when he's kicking ass I'm not really excited. I don't care for mob/mafia stuff and they get more screen time than the Punisher does. Does it get better or is the rest of it pretty much the same?

Tizoc

That sounds super awful and totally unappealing to... um, anybody.

Hey that's just the premise you play the games and you'll find out why the series is adored.
Ah. I see. Youtube it is then. Thanks o/

Vita TVs are pretty cheap now and the games're TV compatible.
You really want to actually play it so you can experience that delicious, heart ripping, soul crushing, mind blanking Despair
Ah that magnificent Despair <3
lAy19Hs.png

Astro City sale on CMX. What do I get?

Taking into account the fact that it is one of the best comics ever, buy everything.

If budget is a constraint, at least get these for now.

Astro City (1995-1996)

Astro City (1996-2000)

Astro City: Local Heroes

The reading order is exactly as the series are listed on the sale page.

I just saw the sale too, too many issues to get me to jump.

-_-

Tizoc

^Oh Astro City sale, nice, I prefer the 90s series more, nice nods to classic Superheroes and some good stories.

I realize that clearly, some people must be enjoying them, but that's the first time I've seen them described and wow it sounds awful.

here's the thing you're not told; the characters in the game, if not trapped by the crazy ass bear, are rather interesting characters in their own right and are quite bright and vigorous. Both games have a mode where you focus on creating friendly relationships with the other characters and learn more about their personalities, etc.

Hell one of the characters is a shout out to the band Nirvana; her name is Sonia Nevermind, from the Kingdom of Novoselic

^Oh Astro City sale, nice, I prefer the 90s series more, nice nods to classic Superheroes and some good stories.

here's the thing you're not told; the characters in the game, if not trapped by the crazy ass bear, are rather interesting characters in their own right and are quite bright and vigorous. Both games have a mode where you focus on creating friendly relationships with the other characters and learn more about their personalities, etc.

Hell one of the characters is a shout out to the band Nirvana; her name is Sonia Nevermind, from the Kingdom of Novoselic]

And then they all die?

And then they all die?

Light confirmation spoiler
No, they don't.

I'll second Tizoc's excitement. I was so enthralled with the two games, I beat each of them within like 3-4 days of their releases, which I can assure you is unheard of for me. Actually, I received the second one a few days early and beat it before it released lol

Anyway, yeah, fantastic writing, characterization, and piecing together how murders take place are the main draw of the games.

Tizoc

Light confirmation spoiler
No, they don't.

I'll second Tizoc's excitement. I was so enthralled with the two games, I beat each of them within like 3-4 days of their releases, which I can assure you is unheard of for me. Actually, I received the second one a few days early and beat it before it released lol

Anyway, yeah, fantastic writing, characterization, and piecing together how murders take place are the main draw of the games.

Don't forget the artstyle, it may have that japanese big eyes thing but the style and shade of coloring really make it stand out.

I actually think I'm going to hold off. I've bought a lot of comics lately, and have had barely any time to read them. I'll grab them when the sale comes around again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom