• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about buying some Valiant trades to get into their stuff, but holy poop, their trades are only 112 pages long!! That's crazy short. They're not really much cheaper than DC's, either.

That's not the case for all of them. Cover price will 9/10 times be less expensive that Marvel or DC, but the IST discount is less, so that comes out to be about $10.

Best deal are the deluxe hardcovers.

Also, what the hell, quality over quantity :/ fucking page counting, that's a cheapness level too low

Also, what the hell, quality over quantity :/ fucking page counting, that's a cheapness level too low

When working on a budget, of course people are going to look at how much time and value they will get out of their purchases. Just like how people look at length and replay-ability of games. This is an expensive hobby if you are buying comics.

And it's not like high page count equates to low quality. You can aim for high page count and high quality.

Probably the impending elections make now a good time to make a political statement. Which Prez is definitely doing.
If they didn't have their heads up their asses, they would finish getting the singles out, do a big trade that's priced a little more reasonably than normal fare, then try to get Mark Russell on something like The Daily Show to promote that trade.

DC Comics and Dan Didio can go fuck themselves. Doomed' story needed to be told. Now he's just going to be some character Geoff John's pulls out for his event series in 2025.

When working on a budget, of course people are going to look at how much time and value they will get out of their purchases. Just like how people look at length and replay-ability of games. This is an expensive hobby if you are buying comics.

And it's not like high page count equates to low quality. You can aim for high page count and high quality.

Valiant trades collect 4-7 issues. It's $10 or $15 list price. It's a good value. I'm not going to look at the page count, that's ridiculous, budget or no.

VanWinkle

That's not the case for all of them. Cover price will 9/10 times be less expensive that Marvel or DC, but the IST discount is less, so that comes out to be about $10.

Best deal are the deluxe hardcovers.

Of course quality is greater than quantity, but all the publishers have great stuff, so why wouldn't I look at the value I get?

If I can get a great ~180 page DC trade for $10, or a great ~112 page Valiant trade for $10, I'm sorry, but I'm going to go with the DC.

I'm not proud to be a fan of Robert Kirkman. I prefer to be more contrary and indie than that. But I will admit to liking TWD and Invincible. I've just caught up on Kirkman and Azaceta's Outcast 1-12 and I dig it. It's a slow build but it manages genuine creep- factor, drama and suspense.

Neoxon

STARLORD2015002_Johnson.jpg

Looks like Movie Yondu is now canon to Earth-616. I guess this works seeing as OG Yondu wasn't of Earth-616 to begin with.

I have posted in one of these topics about how theres some unsavory shit about edmondson relating to a good friend of mine, and I'm glad theres at least some digging going on

anaron

DC Comics and Dan Didio can go fuck themselves. Doomed' story needed to be told. Now he's just going to be some character Geoff John's pulls out for his event series in 2025.

fuck that guy

I have posted in one of these topics about how theres some unsavory shit about edmondson relating to a good friend of mine, and I'm glad theres at least some digging going on
oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that about your friend. I'm even more glad shit is finally hitting the fan

is it alright inquire about what happened?

Of course quality is greater than quantity, but all the publishers have great stuff, so why wouldn't I look at the value I get?

If I can get a great ~180 page DC trade for $10, or a great ~112 page Valiant trade for $10, I'm sorry, but I'm going to go with the DC.

Yeah, ok. Valiant does pretty well with jamming a bunch of issues into their hardcovers, and they only make up 1% of the comics market. I'm not going to cry over 68 pages when this company puts out higher quality content and actually pays their creators good money for their work while allowing them creative freedom to take these stories wherever they please.

I'm not saying don't buy DC, but at least be cognizant of what's going into that price besides fucking "pages".

Must have missed that. I don't recall you posting about it. Shame to hear about your friend's experience witht the creep

VanWinkle

Yeah, ok. Valiant does pretty well with jamming a bunch of issues into their hardcovers, and they only make up 1% of the comics market. I'm not going to cry over 68 pages when this company puts out higher quality content and actually pays their creators good money for their work while allowing them creative freedom to take these stories wherever they please.

I'm not saying don't buy DC, but at least be cognizant of what's going into that price besides fucking "pages".

I did see some of their hardcovers, but they seemed to be from older series or older versions of series.

Look, the price to page ratio isn't enough to make me not ever buy any Valiant, and I definitely don't put page count higher in importance than quality. I'm just being realistic in saying that they have a lot less pages in their trades, and they aren't the only publisher putting out quality content. All of them are. I'm happy they exist, and I'm happy they give their writers creative control. That's great.

It's cool that you don't care about the amount of pages, but a lot of people do. If I'm on a budget (and I am), price to page count ratio is something I feel is important and I put it in consideration. I can get more out of a great 180 page book than a great 112 page book. That's just fact.

I did see some of their hardcovers, but they seemed to be from older series or older versions of series.

Look, the price to page ratio isn't enough to make me not ever buy any Valiant, and I definitely don't put page count higher in importance than quality. I'm just being realistic in saying that they have a lot less pages in their trades, and they aren't the only publisher putting out quality content. All of them are. I'm happy they exist, and I'm happy they give their writers creative control. That's great.

It's cool that you don't care about the amount of pages, but a lot of people do. If I'm on a budget (and I am), price to page count ratio is something I feel is important and I put it in consideration. I can get more out of a great 180 page book than a great 112 page book. That's just fact.

Yeah ok, gloss over everything else I said.

why even bother reading comics, then? It's possibly the worst return of time on money.

Messi

1602 Angela Witch Hunter #3: oh god. It's gotten real dusty in here. Didn't think it would actually go the way that it did.

giphy.gif

what is Rogues real name?

Amazing use of Cloak and Dagger

My favorite Secret Wars tie in. Just amazing and different.

Here's one of the new hardcovers. Avoid anything Valiant Masters.

Also, most first trades are $10, $7 with discount

I'd recommend getting The Valiant

dat Paolo Rivera art for just 9.99

also, looking on Amazon on the reviews for The Valiant I think I found a review by our very own Launchpad ;P

probably Launchpad said:
The Valiant represents story telling in its finest form. With this mini series, Valiant shows why they ARE the company to watch these days. This epic tale tells of the the constant struggle between good and evil in for forms of Gilad, the Eternal Warrior and the Immortal Enemy. The Geomancers who are charged by Mother Earth to work with and protect her figure prominently in this story since through the centuries they have always worked with Gilad. Throughout history, Gilad has failed three times to protect the Geomancer from the Immortal Enemy, resulting in three distinctive facial scars to remind everyone of his failures. Each time Gilad has lost a Geomancer to his foe, there has followed a period of darkness for the earth. Today, there is a new Geomancer, Kay McHenry and the Immortal Enemy comes to claim his fourth victim. Can Gilad succeed where he has failed three times before? In marshalling the forces of the entire Valiant Universe can he finally defeat the Immortal Enemy? There are many twists throughout this series which will FOREVER change the Valiant universe as we know it. A masterful script married to edgy artwork makes this the most compelling series yet to come out of Valiant. To put it simply, you HAVE to pick this up and read it. Then, you will see what more and more people are learning: Valiant is producing the finest stories today within the comics industry.

I'd say Valiant's prices are pretty much in line with the standard

What am I supposed to get out of that Brian Wood letter? Felt like it was several paragraphs of nothing
He thinks he's talking about public shaming and thinks people want Edmondson out of the industry for his conservative politics.

Crossfit.

He doesn't understand what the fuck he's talking about.

Also, Crossfit.

VanWinkle

Yeah ok, gloss over everything else I said.

why even bother reading comics, then? It's possibly the worst return of time on money.

I read comics because they're fun and provide me a great source of entertainment. They cost less than a movie but take longer to read and I like to read more than I like to watch. I'm sorry if I don't give what you feel is enough consideration to creative freedom or how much they pay the writers. That's just not as important to me as the value I get as a reader.

You gloss over page count like it means absolutely nothing, but we all have priorities in what we feel is important to consider for our own budget. You seem to look at this as two completely separate ideals: you can either care about the quality of what's in the book and not give a second thought to how many pages you're getting, or you can care purely about how many pages you get to read and nothing about quality. I want both when possible and both are important factors to me.

That's not a bad price. It's really hard for me to spend that much on one book, but the deal itself is not too bad at all.

And $7 is a good price. I'm looking at IST and see that they're that price. I was looking at Amazon earlier since I still buy there unless I'm planning on picking up over $50 worth of stuff at one time. I'll add the couple of them that my friend recommended to me to my wish list on IST so I can pick them up when I have some more to buy.

He thinks he's talking about public shaming and thinks people want Edmondson out of the industry for his conservative politics.

Crossfit.

He doesn't understand what the fuck he's talking about.

Also, Crossfit.

Wood considers sexual harassment awkward politics. Basically the gist of the newsletter

I read comics because they're fun and provide me a great source of entertainment. They cost less than a movie but take longer to read and I like to read more than I like to watch. I'm sorry if I don't give what you feel is enough consideration to creative freedom or how much they pay the writers. That's just not as important to me as the value I get as a reader.

You gloss over page count like it means absolutely nothing, but we all have priorities in what we feel is important to consider for our own budget. You seem to look at this as two completely separate ideals: you can either care about the quality of what's in the book and not give a second thought to how many pages you're getting, or you can care purely about how many pages you get to read and nothing about quality. I want both when possible and both are important factors to me.

OK I'm going to stop talking. Look at the posts above this one.

Also, you're kind of rude, but I'm sure most of what I've said could have been construed that way as well, so let's just walk away.

VanWinkle

OK I'm going to stop talking. Look at the posts above this one.

Also, you're kind of rude, but I'm sure most of what I've said could have been construed that way as well, so let's just walk away.

I'm rude? That's completely ridiculous since I'm saying nothing mean whatsoever, but okay.

VanWinkle

you know what, I'm not going to argue English. Carry on.

I don't want to leave the conversation thinking you mistook me for being condescending when that wasn't the way I was writing it. Sorry (honestly) that you saw it that way. I was just saying that I was sorry I disagreed with you since you seemed really passionate about your viewpoint.

On the topic of Valiant, I am probably the only one who liked Shadowman. I totally thought it was the character from that Sam Raimi movie, Darkman. It wasnt. But I actually really liked it and it is commonly thought as the worst of Valiant's offerings.

Boogiepop

...I do not understand how to get figma Lucina's sword into the hands that it it's blatantly supposed to go into. I wish figureGAF didn't implode, for moments like this. Like, the hands don't have enough space to slide it in from the side, and the sword doesn't seem to come apart in any way, and the instructions tell me nothing! Bleh! And I'm sure this will all end in me feeling stupid, probably.

I don't want to leave the conversation thinking you mistook me for being condescending when that wasn't the way I was writing it. Sorry (honestly) that you saw it that way. I was just saying that I was sorry I disagreed with you since you seemed really passionate about your viewpoint.

Ok, I apologize as well. That was what set me off, really, but I'm glad it was a miscommunication.

On the topic of Valiant, I am probably the only one who liked Shadowman. I totally thought it was the character from that Sam Raimi movie, Darkman. It wasnt. But I actually really liked it and it is commonly thought as the worst of Valiant's offerings.

Shadowman's not all that bad, actually. Maybe unmemorable in certain parts, but the Jordan issues are really good. He seems poised to make a comeback soon, maybe with Kindt at the helm.

...I do not understand how to get figma Lucina's sword into the hands that it it's blatantly supposed to go into. I wish figureGAF didn't implode, for moments like this. Like, the hands don't have enough space to slide it in from the side, and the sword doesn't seem to come apart in any way, and the instructions tell me nothing! Bleh! And I'm sure this will all end in me feeling stupid, probably.

What happened with figuregaf anyway?

Ok, I apologize as well. That was what set me off, really, but I'm glad it was a miscommunication.

Shadowman's not all that bad, actually. Maybe unmemorable in certain parts, but the Jordan issues are really good. He seems poised to make a comeback soon, maybe with Kindt at the helm.

Yeah I saw they were hyping up his return a bit. I honestly liked Jordan's writing on the title and Zircher did a great job on the art imo. I only have the first two volumes but they were damn enjoyable. Which is kind of funny because I can barely tolerate Jordan's writing on Luther Strode

Yeah I saw they were hyping up his return a bit. I honestly liked Jordan's writing on the title and Zircher did a great job on the art imo. I only have the first two volumes but they were damn enjoyable. Which is kind of funny because I can barely tolerate Jordan's writing on Luther Strode

I have no base of comparison for Jordans work. There is a really masterful pair of issues in the third(?) Volume, #0 and #10, so look forward to that. I haven't read Milligan's stuff, but apparently that's the real bad stuff

fuck that guy

oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that about your friend. I'm even more glad shit is finally hitting the fan

is it alright inquire about what happened?

it's been 5 years since it happened and I'd have to re-ask to get all the details right, which i'd rather not.

It didn't go as far as he wanted it, but that didn't stop him from trying is what I'll say.

What happened with figuregaf anyway?

it got.. gross

Squire

Banned
Handwringing over page count is truly the "(insert game) must be so many hours long or it's a ripoff" of comics.

The only pages needed are the ones necessary to tell the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom