• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Handwringing over page count is truly the "(insert game) must be so many hours long or it's a ripoff" of comics.

The only pages needed are the ones necessary to tell the story.

Okay, but seriously - a game needs to be longer than The Order 1886 to warrant a $60 purchase.

VanWinkle

Handwringing over page count is truly the "(insert game) must be so many hours long or it's a ripoff" of comics.

I think it mostly comes down to how much income you're able to spend on those things. For me, $60 is a lot to spend on a game, so I kind of DO have to consider how much playtime I'll get it out it. And it's similar with trades/comics. I obviously want to make sure first and foremost that it's quality, but I have to consider value, too.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your line of thinking, though. I just think it has to do most with how much disposable income you have. If you don't have much, you have to make sure you're getting a good value (at least I do). If you have a good amount of it, then the amount of pages in a comic or hours in a game aren't really a factor.

I just get a little frustrated when people can't seem to understand my viewpoint on it. You don't have to feel the same way, but at least understand why those seemingly unimportant things are important to some.

On the topic of Valiant, I am probably the only one who liked Shadowman. I totally thought it was the character from that Sam Raimi movie, Darkman. It wasnt. But I actually really liked it and it is commonly thought as the worst of Valiant's offerings.

I liked Shadowman. I was into the dark voodoo magic and the southern bayou setting. Then it got a new writer and I fell off.

Ponn

Banned
I think it mostly comes down to how much income you're able to spend on those things. For me, $60 is a lot to spend on a game, so I kind of DO have to consider how much playtime I'll get it out it. And it's similar with trades/comics. I obviously want to make sure first and foremost that it's quality, but I have to consider value, too.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your line of thinking, though. I just think it has to do most with how much disposable income you have. If you don't have much, you have to make sure you're getting a good value (at least I do). If you have a good amount of it, then the amount of pages in a comic or hours in a game aren't really a factor.

I just get a little frustrated when people can't seem to understand my viewpoint on it. You don't have to feel the same way, but at least understand why those seemingly unimportant things are important to some.

Don't buy Absolute Green Lantern Rebirth.

VanWinkle

Don't buy Absolute Green Lantern Rebirth.

Haha, yeah, that's pretty short. I would waaaaaaayyy rather get the >1200 page Green Lantern Vol. 1 omnibus than a 224 page Absolute GL Rebirth.

That being said, I'd love to buy Absolute editions of some stuff, but they're just way too expensive for me.

Ponn

Banned
Haha, yeah, that's pretty short. I'd love to buy Absolute editions of some stuff, but they're just way too expensive for me.

They are totally worth the money. They are something special from the moment you open the box they come in and start sniffing the outer case. Then you gently slide the book out of the slipcase and caress the outside cover feeling the texture of it. ungghhh.

Just get a couple through In Stock Trades, best price, especially right now they are all about $55. If you haven't gotten All Star Superman yet I would suggest that one. The Absolute Sandmans I just got look freaking gorgeous too but I can't comment otherwise because I haven't read them yet. Absolute Long Halloween was also a beauty. It's a shame Absolute Kingdom Come is oop now.

VanWinkle

They are totally worth the money. They are something special from the moment you open the box they come in and start sniffing the outer case. Then you gently slide the book out of the slipcase and caress the outside cover feeling the texture of it. ungghhh.

Just get a couple through In Stock Trades, best price, especially right now they are all about $55. If you haven't gotten All Star Superman yet I would suggest that one. The Absolute Sandmans I just got look freaking gorgeous too but I can't comment otherwise because I haven't read them yet. Absolute Long Halloween was also a beauty. It's a shame Absolute Kingdom Come is oop now.

I bought DC Comics: A Visual History a few days ago, and it feels like what I imagine an Absolute edition does. Really thick for the page count, nice hard slip cover, great sewn binding, etc. It's normally $50 but for some reason Books-A-Million had it half off so I paid $25.

I just...I don't know if I can pay $55+ on one book. I have absolutely NOTHING against people who do. I just don't know if I could do it with the amount of disposable income I have. I have had the $45 Planetary Omnibus in my Amazon wish list for months now and it's just hard for me to bite the bullet and get even that.

I liked Shadowman. I was into the dark voodoo magic and the southern bayou setting. Then it got a new writer and I fell off.

My understanding is everything after Jordan leaves is a disaster, though conceptually the End Times mini had an interesting ending. That's where Operation Deadside is going to pick up the Shadowman story.

In case you want it spoiled,
the Loa basically conquers Jack's body, so he no longer has full control of his actions.

Squire

Banned
Okay, but seriously - a game needs to be longer than The Order 1886 to warrant a $60 purchase.

Launchpad took my joke!

I get your viewpoint, I just think it's kind of a shame, honestly. Cliche as it is, quality >>> quantity. You're missing out on some great stuff, in comics in particular, I'm sure. Games are juggling so many things it's a little different. Comics are a lot closer to TV, I've found. A lot of the best stuff (probably most of it, to be honest) is fairly truncated. Someone just buying the most decently interesting bulk collections isn't going to see much of that.

Squire

Banned
You guys should really check out Gravity Rush when they remaster it on PS4. The mechanics need some work, but it has this amazing comic aesthetic. It's like a French indie, cape comic with a hint of Ghibli. Been playing the Vita version again tonight, since I never beat it. Thrilled about the sequel.

You guys should really check out Gravity Rush when they remaster it on PS4. The mechanics need some work, but it has this amazing comic aesthetic. It's like a French indie, cape comic with a hint of Ghibli. Been playing the Vita version again tonight, since I never beat it. Thrilled about the sequel.

it's been on my radar since there was a 5 second snippet of it in a Vita E3 hype montage like 3 years ago. i'm definitely gonna check it out

Owzers

Controls felt too floaty.

Squire

Banned
it's been on my radar since there was a 5 second snippet of it in a Vita E3 hype montage like 3 years ago. i'm definitely gonna check it out

Awesome. I hope you dig it. It has such a spirit and personality to it. I was pulling for it to get a second chance in a sequel, so it's great to see Somy getting behind it and doing just that.

Controls felt too floaty.

36227-Thats-good-Thats-damn-good-8Lce.gif

Vibranium

Banned

Yeah, it looks awesome, I'll be playing Gravity Rush for the first time ever on PS4. A lot of cool Japanese stuff on the way.

Yousefb

Infinity Gauntlet #4, shit got intense in this issue, man. The story, art, sequences all continue to impress in this book. It's too bad it won't continue post SW, I'm enjoying it immensely.

Zombine

Banned

Kat is one of my favorite protagonists of all time.

Page two. Page two.

Fuck is wrong with all of you?

Chumbucket kinda looking like a sex gimp now that i've upgraded his wrench. Should get the v8 today. Costs on that thing are such a bs scrap sink it aint even funny.

Anyone read The Infinite Loop? I picked up the first ish in the last IDW sale. Fantastic concept, simple yet great art, very interested in reading more - though I'm not sure if soon enough to not wait for another sale. Strange fascination with social injustice, but it looks like the main character is gay, so it might have been laying the groundwork for that.

Vanish

Does anyone know what Steve McNiven has been up to lately? I absolutely love his art style, probably my favorite comic book artist ever but it doesn't seem like he does much work, especially lately. Wish he would work on a lot more comics.

Sad thing is that if he had jettisoned absolutely everything else but the "hey, lets not be huge dicks on the internet. Also do be careful with vigilante justice" parts, he could've made his point and be done with it.

like, it'd fit in a tweet.

But no, crossfit, schadenfreude, i know who the real monsters are, so on, so forth.
---

been trying to get back into TWD, stopped at ish 88 or whatever, so decided to reread everything.

even though i remember nearly nothing, i don't seem to recall it being this... boring.

ElNarez

Banned
Sad thing is that if he had jettisoned absolutely everything else but the "hey, lets not be huge dicks on the internet. Also do be careful with vigilante justice" parts, he could've made his point and be done with it.

nah

His right to deliver hot takes on accusations of sexual harassment from women has been waived permanently.

That's not the case for all of them. Cover price will 9/10 times be less expensive that Marvel or DC, but the IST discount is less, so that comes out to be about $10.

Best deal are the deluxe hardcovers.

Also, what the hell, quality over quantity :/ fucking page counting, that's a cheapness level too low

Yeah, ok. Valiant does pretty well with jamming a bunch of issues into their hardcovers, and they only make up 1% of the comics market. I'm not going to cry over 68 pages when this company puts out higher quality content and actually pays their creators good money for their work while allowing them creative freedom to take these stories wherever they please.

I'm not saying don't buy DC, but at least be cognizant of what's going into that price besides fucking "pages".

You guys were more polite than I was going to be if I saw this again. Pagecounts, SMDH.

And actually be a game

I would agree with this, but Life is Strange is probably going to be my GOTY so I don't have a leg to stand on.

Also, I read comics last night. Valiant comics! Got through two volumes of Quantum and Woody, as well as The Goat special. So fucking good. Like Superior Foes but even more crazy.

"Mommy, you were right! The President's come to take our guns!" It was like 2AM and I laughed so hard.

Also, the Goat is their father? What in the world?

Tizoc

I find it fascinating that Garth Ennis predicted Marvel killing off Mutants and the X-men this way and for such a particular reason.

I count pages in books before I buy them

That's right mutherfuckas

I'm a page counter *and* I've created sheets that show how many pages per dollar I'm getting for each book I'm interested in

Going full Kipp on this shit

But then again I bought the first 3 Hell boy Library Editions despite grading out on the lower end of my scale

Mignola stays winning

Although I did use that table to decide between the old Mad Love edition and the deluxe one.

Stop trying so hard Ed, we know you're a creator

You guys were more polite than I was going to be if I saw this again. Pagecounts, SMDH.

I don't come here to fight. :/

I would agree with this, but Life is Strange is probably going to be my GOTY so I don't have a leg to stand on.

Also, I read comics last night. Valiant comics! Got through two volumes of Quantum and Woody, as well as The Goat special. So fucking good. Like Superior Foes but even more crazy.

"Mommy, you were right! The President's come to take our guns!" It was like 2AM and I laughed so hard.

Also, the Goat is their father? What in the world?

To the spoiler, they explain it better in the third volume. It's one of the major plot points. It's actually hilarious. lol

I love Q&W and I'm glad you're enjoying it. I have yet to read The Delinquents or Must Die, but it's actually because I'm saving them for a rainy day when I need a good pick me up. Funny story about Q&W, I saw this page from there before I even knew what Valiant was; I think it was posted here and I saw it while lurking. It's this one.

And it made me well up instantly, no context needed. I'll always remember that because it was my first true exposure to Valiant and I didn't even know it at the time. But, more to the point, it's a testament to how great Asmus is at characterization, past just writing hilarious plots and a laugh a minute stories.

I count pages. I check how long games are. I check movie length. I care about food weight per dollar. I calculate distance to petrol station vs difference in price vs difference in mileage.

None of these are hard factors when deciding a purchase, but they're all soft factors constantly going on in my mind whenever i reach for my wallet.

It's enjoyable.

I find it fascinating that Garth Ennis predicted Marvel killing off Mutants and the X-men this way and for such a particular reason.

Sauce.

nah

His right to deliver hot takes on accusations of sexual harassment from women has been waived permanently.

Not really. All that netted him is the right to be ignored, ridiculed and/or called a hypocrite. Can still say whatever he wants.
I'm a big fan of giving people rope.

This is exactly why I started reading Quantum & Woody!

That page is great too, the flashbacks in general are really well done IMO.

My only gripe with Valiant at the moment is that they have a stable of series that were excellent from the first part of the reboot - Harbinger, A&A, Q&W - and you know they're coming back, but the wait is torture. Meanwhile, they've put out these new series that by the time they're over, you'll feel the same way about them. So that's basically where I'm at. Asmus already teased Q&W returning next year, and accidentally killing Ninjak or something lol, so when they start up again, it'll be safe to read my Q&W stash.

The simple solution here is Valiant just needs to make more books lol seriously though, I think Book of Death, Ninjak, and Bloodshot Reborn sales have proven that Valiant is growing very quickly. New series seem to sell extremely well. Just double their series output and I'll be good :p

Tizoc

What's supposed to be so hot about this Tokyo Ghost book?

It's in The Boys by Garth Ennis.

My only gripe with Valiant at the moment is that they have a stable of series that were excellent from the first part of the reboot - Harbinger, A&A, Q&W - and you know they're coming back, but the wait is torture. Meanwhile, they've put out these new series that by the time they're over, you'll feel the same way about them. So that's basically where I'm at. Asmus already teased Q&W returning next year, and accidentally killing Ninjak or something lol, so when they start up again, it'll be safe to read my Q&W stash.

The simple solution here is Valiant just needs to make more books lol seriously though, I think Book of Death, Ninjak, and Bloodshot Reborn sales have proven that Valiant is growing very quickly. New series seem to sell extremely well. Just double their series output and I'll be good :p

Valiant series are among my 'to read list' I'll get to them in due time :X Been wanting to read Q&W for ages...

What's supposed to be so hot about this Tokyo Ghost book?

Remender and Sean Murphy

Valiant series are among my 'to read list' I'll get to them in due time :X Been wanting to read Q&W for ages...

For some reason, in the back of my mind I thought it was you who had posted that page above lol guess I was mistaken. I need to read the original Q&W series, which I know you've read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom