• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDW's trade pricing is the worst. One TMNT TPB is like four issues for $17.99 or something :(
Just buy the OHC's. That's what I did.
Sad thing is that if he had jettisoned absolutely everything else but the "hey, lets not be huge dicks on the internet. Also do be careful with vigilante justice" parts, he could've made his point and be done with it.

like, it'd fit in a tweet.

But no, crossfit, schadenfreude, i know who the real monsters are, so on, so forth.
So who are the real monsters?
I find it fascinating that Garth Ennis predicted Marvel killing off Mutants and the X-men this way and for such a particular reason.
Marvel isn't gonna get rid of mutants and the X-Men.

So I'm still trying to figure out what this publisher is about, but I've seen them around before.

Double Take has put out a bunch of #1's for free.

Haven't read any of them, but they look interesting.

Quoted for new page.

Apparently, they're a publisher that's pushing a new universe and they have some... interesting philosophies.

The interesting bit is how they packed all their #1's into a super pack at retail to push their universe-wide stories. I suppose they're worth checking out.

That's not the case for all of them. Cover price will 9/10 times be less expensive that Marvel or DC, but the IST discount is less, so that comes out to be about $10.

Best deal are the deluxe hardcovers.

Also, what the hell, quality over quantity :/ fucking page counting, that's a cheapness level too low

Yeah, ok. Valiant does pretty well with jamming a bunch of issues into their hardcovers, and they only make up 1% of the comics market. I'm not going to cry over 68 pages when this company puts out higher quality content and actually pays their creators good money for their work while allowing them creative freedom to take these stories wherever they please.

I'm not saying don't buy DC, but at least be cognizant of what's going into that price besides fucking "pages".

Yeah ok, gloss over everything else I said.

why even bother reading comics, then? It's possibly the worst return of time on money.

And you call him rude.

You are talking to someone relatively new to comics and new to this thread. How bloody difficult is to to say "ok, so you want great comics and also want to stretch your dollar. here's some recommendations" and just move on instead of going on some judgmental debate over quality vs quantity.

And you call him rude.

You are talking to someone relatively new to comics and new to this thread. How bloody difficult is to to say "ok, so you want great comics and also want to stretch your dollar. here's some recommendations" and just move on instead of going on some judgmental debate over quality vs quantity.

I said what I perceived as condescension set me off. The second quote you took is where that started. The first quote, you'll have to take my word for it that I didn't mean anything by it.

Why do you have to dredge something up that's already over lol

Tizoc

What. If memory serves, the "muties" there were basically fodder for a pedophile, and got taken out because the dude was just too creepy and wouldnt play ball.

Been a long time since I read the series but those superhumans were the equivalent of the X-men and in one issue they were all wiped out.

Even if Marvel isn't gonna get rid of mutants, the way they're acting and doing it reminds me of The Boys, because of similar themes; the company does what it wants to the characters.

Anyone read The Infinite Loop? I picked up the first ish in the last IDW sale. Fantastic concept, simple yet great art, very interested in reading more - though I'm not sure if soon enough to not wait for another sale. Strange fascination with social injustice, but it looks like the main character is gay, so it might have been laying the groundwork for that.

I've read like 3 of them and I like it so far

I said what I perceived as condescension set me off. The second quote you took is where that started. The first quote, you'll have to take my word for it that I didn't mean anything by it.

Why do you have to dredge something up that's already over lol

It's just that Comics GAF was very welcoming to me when I started posting and is very welcoming in general. But discussions like this are what give communities a reputation of being "unwelcoming" or "insular". I've seen it in figure-gaf and a few other communities and just wanted to clear things before we set the discussion aside.

I buy Absolute editions. I am already in the mark camp.

I've read like 3 of them and I like it so far

Sounds a bit lukewarm.

It's just that Comics GAF was very welcoming to me when I started posting and is very welcoming in general. But discussions like this are what give communities a reputation of being "unwelcoming" or "insular". I've seen it in figure-gaf and a few other communities and just wanted to clear things before we set the discussion aside.

That was not my intent, obviously. I don't come here to exert superiority or argue; I come to share my love of comics. There was a miscommunication here and that led to some frustration on my end, which I apologized for.

I buy Absolute editions. I am already in the mark camp.

It seems we've made a mistake...

While it's a bit late, I want to chime in that I see nothing wrong with evaluating cost per page. I certainly do so even if it's certainly not the only thing I consider. Dismissing it out of hand isn't very helpful. And yes, I know there's more to what happened here than that, but it was certainly a vibe that could be picked up.

Quoted for new page.

Apparently, they're a publisher that's pushing a new universe and they have some... interesting philosophies.

The interesting bit is how they packed all their #1's into a super pack at retail to push their universe-wide stories. I suppose they're worth checking out.

Interesting. The fact that they're basically handing out a collection of vol 1 trades for free is a bit concerning in regards to what I may mean about their future prospects, though. Worth looking at, I guess.

I'd buy it over Secret Wars tie ins?

Uhh Zombine likes it?

I don't know. im behind because that's what I do not because it blows. Like Ninja Turtles sorta..But I'm behind on that because I buy the trades and they're expensive,

tumblr_lzbce83or31qe0oboo1_250.gif

Interesting. The fact that they're basically handing out a collection of vol 1 trades for free is a bit concerning in regards to what I may mean about their future prospects, though. Worth looking at, I guess.

I'm not so sure. They're still incredibly new. Also, Valiant did give out a bunch of #1's around when they first launched on CMX. Hell, a lot of publishers do this.

Mindwipe

I said goddamn. And cheap too? I hope I can buy this from Amazon UK, being in Ireland and all. Might be time to retire the Nook HD+.

If Amazon have any common sense at all they'll give you a $15 Comixology voucher with this device and pre-install CMX. Seriously.

I don't know think anyone knows the price of this yet, but apparently the entire Fire range is going super budget this year and the 6.7 inch one is like $50.

okay, what are y'alls PSN IDs again?

i'm KidInsomnia

I had to search a little (December '14)

Not sure if this was my updated list but he is a bunch of PSN names

KoruptData = KoruptData
Messi = RemyWilde
Freezasaurus = Freezasaurus
Cheska = Cheska19
GrandHarrier = GrandHarrier
Tyrant Rave = PR1M3R1B
Bii = Socheata
Gketter = DarkKnight77
Slightconfuse = THESLIGHTCONFUSE
Espi = SirRobes
Sca2511 = sca2511
Gipsy Danger = fenix1989uk
Shin Johnpv = ShinJohnpv or Shin Johnpv
CorporateClown = CorporateClown
Supermanisdead = Supermanizdead
ThyMusicMan = TruKill420
Sillymonkey321 = Owzers
WadiumArcadium = WadiumArcadium
Tizoc = tizoc789
Jedeye Sniv = JedeyeSniv
MG310 = MG310
Voror = MrDresden
Face It Tiger.. = Biggz124
ViktVaughn = VikVaughn
Tim1138 = tim1138
Kikarian = Kikarian
Indigo_cyclops = Indigo_cyclops
Serpentine = SerpentineZero

Feel free to keep adding to it

http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com/post/129157371002/any-further-reaction-to-uncanny-600-getting

Q:Any further reaction to Uncanny 600 getting delayed another month? A page reduction, but the same price? Absolutely ridiculous.

first of all, i am not the publisher or the editor. i am the writer. i do not dictate shipping. i wish the book was out last june. thats the truth.

and there is no page reduction on our end. not sure what everyone is talking about. not one word or page has changed. nothing about ice man is causing this, which i see is a big point of conspiracy.

i wish secret wars shipped on time and i wish all the books that i have connected to it shipped on time as well. out of my hands.

old man logan- written and drawn. done.

ultimate end- written and drawn. done.

uncanny x-men 600- written and drawn. done.

spider-man 1- written and drawn

powers 5 at the printed and coming VERY soon.

and everyone else who q’d me about this, please consider this your answer as well.

Wonder what the delays are about.

Any of y'all pick up that Street Fighter Charlie Nash book? Hoping it's good but I've never read much of the SF comics so I have no idea if they are usually good? Just can't get off that SFV hype train.

Tizoc

Any of y'all pick up that Street Fighter Charlie Nash book? Hoping it's good but I've never read much of the SF comics so I have no idea if they are usually good? Just can't get off that SFV hype train.

I hear it's OK, though I've not read it myself.
It's generally considered canon to SF5's story, though we won't know that til a few months from now.
I do believe the art would be good though :3

I had to search a little (December '14)

Not sure if this was my updated list but he is a bunch of PSN names

Feel free to keep adding to it
EdgarUVM for me ( I think)
Probably added a prologue thats an issue long laying out all new all different. Hickman said he sent in his last script a while back so if Secret Wars is getting delayed it's likely Ribic just can't keep up. He *is* drawing it like a lunatic. Mad mad good art

Also 9/10 times a book is late it's because of the artists. The other 1/10 is Warren Ellis computer busted

Are there any new collections of Astro City coming out? I'm looking for maximum page count.

The latest series is available in hardcovers (In bold below). The fourth one comes out soon. They are not oversized though, so you might need to further optimise based on art surface area. (And volume, if you care about page quality).

The old ones are slowly being reprinted too. Volume 1 is available. Volume 2 comes out later this year.

Astro City Volume 1: Life in the Big City (ISBN 1-56389-551-X, collects Astro City Vol. 1 #1–6)
Astro City Volume 2: Confession (ISBN 1-56389-550-1, collects Astro City Vol. 2 #1/2, 4–9)
Astro City Volume 3: Family Album (ISBN 1-56389-552-8, collects Astro City Vol. 2 #1–3, 10–13)
Astro City Volume 4: Tarnished Angel (ISBN 1-56389-663-X, collects Astro City Vol. 2 #14–20)
Astro City Volume 5: Local Heroes (ISBN 1401202845, collects Astro City Vol. 2 #21–22, Astro City: Local Heroes #1–5, Astro City Special: Supersonic, "Since the Fire")
Astro City Volume 6: The Dark Age Book One: Brothers and Other Strangers (ISBN 9781401220778, collects Astro City: The Dark Age Vol. 1 #1–4, Vol. 2 #1–4)
Astro City Volume 7: The Dark Age Book Two: Brothers in Arms (ISBN 1401228437, collects Astro City: The Dark Age Vol. 3 #1–4, Vol. 4 #1–4)
Astro City Volume 8: Shining Stars (ISBN 978-1401229849, collects Astro City: Samaritan Special, Astro City: Astra #1–2, Astro City: Silver Agent #1–2 and Astro City: Beautie #1)
Astro City Volume 9: Through Open Doors (ISBN 978-1401247522, collects Astro City Vol. 3 #1–6)
Astro City Volume 10: Victory (ISBN 978-1401250577, collects Astro City Vol. 3 #7-10 and Astro City Visitor's Guide #1)
Astro City Volume 11: Private Lives (ISBN 978-1401254599, collects Astro City Vol. 3 #11-17)

Astro City Volume 12: Lovers Quarrel (ISBN , collects Astro City Vol. 3 #18-21, Vol. 3 23-24)

Owzers

I find it odd that there isn't a deluxe edition for Astro City yet, seems like a fairly popular book and it's all basic editions. If i buy some of these digital issues an omnibus will be announced tomorrow.

Whenever I read a new issue of Star Wars or Darth Vader I go from thinking "I really have to suspend my disbelief in regards to them not mentioning any of these events in Empire due to it all happening 2.5+ years ago" to "Holy shit that was fucking awesome, give me more!"

Infinity Gauntlet was so good this week. I wonder if they'll find an elegant way to tie this to
Siege. This does seem to be 616 Thanos and on the cover of Siege 4 he has the completed gauntlet, presumably acquired here in New Xandar.

I still haven't read Tokyo Ghost. Trying to let my hype quiet down a bit before I tackle it.

VanWinkle

Astro city #1 felt very hearty, reminds me of the tone in Kingdom Come.

Nice! I actually ordered a trade called "Astro City: Family Album" last night from Amazon. I've never read anything from it before, but it looks pretty interesting, and the book was like 225 pages for $10, so it was hard to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom