• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! I actually ordered a trade called "Astro City: Family Album" last night from Amazon. I've never read anything from it before, but it looks pretty interesting, and the book was like 225 pages for $10, so it was hard to pass up.

You should also check out issue number 1, it is free on comixology. You don't really need to read anything else before the trade you got, but do try the #1 if you can. It sets the tone for the whole series.

Finished Mission 45 on MGSV. Not a fan of the mission but the little bit after was nice.

I don't think this has been posted - Kieron Gillen's writing the first Star Wars and Darth Vader annuals. The Star Wars annual's about a new character called Haarkon Dak. A Star Wars name if ever I've seen one.

In Star Wars Annual #1 (40 pages, $4.99), by writer Kieron Gillen and artist Angel Unzueta, Rebel spy Haarkon Dak has been undercover in the Imperial bureaucracy for years — and may be the only chance that Rebel-sympathetic senators have to survive. Darth Vader Annual #1 (40 pages, $4.99), by series writer Kieron Gillen and artist Lenil Yu, finds Darth Vader heading to the planet Shu-Torin, where the Sith Lord seeks to destroy an uprising against the Empire.

STWANN2015001_DC11-675x1024.jpg

Finished Mission 45 on MGSV. Not a fan of the mission but the little bit after was nice.

Mission was easy.
I just spammed rockets everywhere from hiding places inside the house. Called in ammo resupply when I got halfway through my ammo and ran outside to pick it up. Then back inside.

And yeah, the ending was really moving, even though it was bittersweet. Quiet's theme is so good. Wish my MGS V soundtrack would get here already.

image.php

Mission was easy.
I just spammed rockets everywhere from hiding places inside the house. Called in ammo resupply when I got halfway through my ammo and ran outside to pick it up. Then back inside.

And yeah, the ending was really moving, even though it was bittersweet. Quiet's theme is so good. Wish my MGS V soundtrack would get here already.

image.php

Yeah, same strategy I used. I just found it a bit repetitive really.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So am I stupid or does outpost no stay cleared on Phantom Pain? I am talking about the small checkpoints with 2-4 soldiers, not the big villages.

Messi

I am joking BTW. Use whatever metric you like to decide what is worth your time and money. Great comics at all prices. Hell my favorite comic was free.
Sunstone

So am I stupid or does outpost no stay cleared on Phantom Pain? I am talking about the small checkpoints with 2-4 soldiers, not the big villages.

The game is filled with stupid design decisions like that.

Like, you got a security team. At least let me assign people to specific locations to keep them clear, ffs.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The game is filled with stupid design decisions like that.

Like, you got a security team. At least let me assign people to specific locations to keep them clear, ffs.
I know that you really dislike the game but beside small anoyances like the outposts or the point that I am not able to fly between Sidemissions with my helicarrier I dont think its that bad as you make it.

I usually just avoid them if I can't be arsed to clear them.
Most the time its ok, there is always place off the road to get across them undetected, but when you are in hurry and want to take the best way its annoying.

I know that you really dislike the game but beside small anoyances like the outposts or the point that I am not able to fly between Sidemissions with my helicarrier I dont think its that bad as you make it.

What? No. It's quite the contrary. What MGS5 does well, it does so well that it is at the top of the industry. Absolutely no other game does open world stealth as well as it, and the mostly completely organic approach to scouting => inserting => extracting outclasses everything else. Mother Base was also the best take on player housing i've ever seen, especially how they incorporate side-ops and leave diamonds and npcs scattered, allowing for the development of a sense of place that far surpasses, say, walking around the Normandy. All companion npc's i've unlocked considerably change the way the player behaves in a hostile environment.

I just *intensely* dislike some design choices.

Or to put it in a more concise form. MGS5 is the very rare game that seems to have started with a grade of 100 and then kept on adding horrible stuff until it settled at 85.

Y'all don't do Wednesday lists anymore? Awe. And what's with all the video game talk? That's even worse than the econo dollars for pages discussions.

Have I made any new friends yet?

So no one reads Outcast? Now I'm fixin' to blow through my Southern Bastards issues after I catch up on my Saga trades. Weeeee!

Zombine

Banned
Y'all don't do Wednesday lists anymore? Awe. And what's with all the video game talk? That's even worse than the econo dollars for pages discussions.

So no one reads Outcast? Now I'm fixin' to blow through my Southern Bastards issues after I catch up on my Saga trades. Weeeee!

Love Outcast. They stealth released the first hardcover on the Skybound website as an exclusive.

I'll be your friend

I'm at work so no comics till I get off tonight

Messi

We are a community now. We do still post lists BTW. Do you like waffles or pancakes, you need to be filed in one of my lists.

But Tim Sale will make it worth for the art alone.

It's Tim Sale, who cares if Jeph Loeb is the writer or not. Tim Sale alone makes the book good and worth reading.

I know Sale is good, but I can tolerate bad art a lot more than bad writing. ("But why are you reading comics then hurr durrr?"). Art is only a problem to me if it is Land-tier bad, but I do agree that great art, or at least art that suits the book, makes a book much better. In general though, as long as I can tell what's going on, I'm good. It's why I struggled when I tried manga, because the visual language (there's probably a better word for that) feels so different. That and I kept trying to read it left-to-right.

Read two books over the last few hours, Paybacks #1 and Voltron: From the Ashes #1. Paybacks was a first issue done right, they established a lot in a short time and developed an interesting take on a superhero world. I'm curious enough to try the next issue. Voltron was very meh. I enjoyed all the Voltron comics at Dynamite so far, even the Robotech crossover despite knowing nothing about Robotech, but this was....not good. It was a giant infodump, basically, but didn't seem to explain that much. I enjoyed seeing the big fight between Voltron and an army of Ro-Beasts, but I'm not digging the cadet pilots. Reminds me too much of that Voltron Force cartoon. Wait for a bundle for the remainder, I think.

Tizoc

I know Sale is good, but I can tolerate bad art a lot more than bad writing. ("But why are you reading comics then hurr durrr?"). Art is only a problem to me if it is Land-tier bad, but I do agree that great art, or at least art that suits the book, makes a book much better. In general though, as long as I can tell what's going on, I'm good. It's why I struggled when I tried manga, because the visual language (there's probably a better word for that) feels so different. That and I kept trying to read it left-to-right.
Let me tell you in on something some people do when it comes to comics Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb worked on together; some just treat it as a Tim Sale book and deny Jeph Loeb ever worked on it.
It's by Tim Sale, it'll be good; get it~
You'll thank us later :3

Speaking of which Spiderman Blue is due for a re-read, Marvel should do an omnibus/hc of Sale's color-titled books if they haven't already.

Interesting read from Justin Jordan on the factors of a $9.99 trade. Somewhat relevant to my discussion with VanWinkle yesterday, not directly related to Valiant for those people filter my links based on that
you know who you are

Thanks for sharing

Luther Strode is priced a little higher than most other image tpbs but creators gotta get their money. I really dont mind paying more for creator owned books. Pages/$ are really just one factor when deciding between what books to buy.

Judging from this, you only probably have a few Image series that help themselves with a $10 trade. Millar, Fraction, Brubaker, Remender, and Hickman books all likely sell well enough to profit from the $10 trades but that $5 difference can be huge to a creator. Assuming the artist sees like $1 from that difference, thats huge relief even if the book only sells 1k copies.

You were giving me a bit of crap earlier, in good sport of course, when talking about including $/pg as a factor in buying comics. I think we as comics consumers get hung up on price because single issues eat up so much money. $4 or $5 are pretty common now. $15 trades for 4 or 5 issues is way better for the consumer and likely the creator considering printing costs

Im gonna talk a little about my own stuff for a hot minute. I really only make money off commissions and posters

When I got most of my posters printed up, I was working at a print shop and got an absurd price for them. Essentially at cost. Which means if I sell my posters even at $5 thats a 84% profit. Now why have I been selling my prints at 5? Well, I've under priced them. I figured that at this time in my career, getting my art into the homes of other people is really important. What I learned is that I didnt have way more people buying my posters when they are priced at $5 instead of $10. If people liked the poster, they were gonna buy it either way as long as the price was reasonable. Given how much posters make me in relation to cost, I should just bump them up to 10 again which is still very very reasonable.

With original art, at conventions, I have more success selling original art the more expensive I price it. Im not gonna price my original pieces of art all that high still but people dont want to think theyre getting cheap original art.

On the spot commissions, I see these as on the spot showcases of my talent. To make them worthwhile for me, I need to price out a piece in a way that Im making about 20/hr.

Actual printed comics: I make absolutely no money on these. Any money I make on it goes to offset the cost it took to either print them or pay my colorist. I didnt try selling physical copies for some time and recently only started printing them up again.

Right now my physical copies are 48 pages of sequential pages, 4 pages of intro pages, chapter covers and extras. The last batch cost me 6.50 to print each one. I've been selling them at 7 bucks. That means I am literally making 50 cents per copy

Which, like I've stated goes to offset the cost of getting the thing colored which set me back 1800. So in order to 'recoup' the cost of coloring I'd have to sell 3600 copies. Thankfully I found a better printer that will lower my printing cost to approx 4.55/copy increasing my profit to 2.45! Only 735 copies to recoup that initial coloring cost.

Printing is much cheaper per copy if I could sell thousands b/c then I could get them at offset printing costs, but I can't sell that many unless Im actually being published. This is why I will likely have to do a series of kickstarters if I want to lower costs and find a bigger audience.

TLDR: Economies of scale are a thing. I make way more money doing original art than I do comics

The only reason i like 9.99 trades is that dcbs has them for 4.99 often....
Yes but then you end up with a lot of Image vol 1s. Which isnt bad but then you realize rather than continue a series you liked, you start a new series you may like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom