• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should probably expand on the point then

comics = comics no matter where theyre from

only reason a combined thread would be messy is because manga has *such* a strong following on Neogaf. one catch all thread for comics would be a total mess that would move way to fast for anybody to discuss in.

To me, its like saying we cant discuss Hawkeye because there is a Hawkeye thread. This is a comics thread, not a western culture comics only thread. We just happen to have a specialized manga thread that people more interested in a subsection of comics can participate it.

Yeah, I agree with pretty much everything you've said. Comics are comics are comics. Left to right, right to left. Colour, monochrome. Floppies, TPBs, OHCs. Dust jacket or n-what? Fine, I'll stop.

Hagi

I mean when people start posting up to date reviews of monster musume then yeah we might have a problem but otherwise manga talk is pretty rare in here and in no way should it be discouraged it's not like we're 100% comics all day every day in here

This destiny 2.0 shit is pretty cool

IMO, it's really not that unreasonable that manga would have its own thread. particularly here in Community. Music gets separated out, TV gets separated out, etc etc. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if that's what the moderation here would prefer, if the rest of the forum is any indication. I don't think you have to 'hate' manga (which I don't) to see the reasoning behind it.

There is a manga thread. But, like AnimeGAF, it moves pretty fast, and the focus is more on individual "as they're released" chapters than collected volumes that finally get released in America several months after the Japanese version.

VanWinkle

I'm reading volume one of Nightwing from the mid 90's, and it's quite good, but the character design for Dick Grayson is so insanely 90's that it's kind of taking me out of the experience. Absolutely MASSIVE mullet, baggy button up shirt tucked into his baggy pants that are well above his belly button, etc.

Edit: Just finished the first story arc in it (the first four issues of the series). Man, it honestly is extremely good. I'm still having trouble getting into his character design (particularly his hair), but it's fantastic other than that.

Aizo

Banned
True.

Poor form Aibo, poor form.
Hahaa. Missed a letter there.

I'm sorry that I called people lazy for not wanting to read something from the opposite side of the page. That was rude of me. I just sometimes get annoyed by this kind of sentiment in music, film, literature, art, etc. To completely single out a whole medium seems really unfortunate, and the argument against wanting to try a something new because it's different or doesn't seem to be what you usually like, without trying something when another person goes out of their way to give a recommendation in that genre/medium that you might like is a bit too reactionary of a response for me.

It happens all the time with people saying things like "I hate Horror," "I hate Romance," or "I hate Action"—there is surely something that you would enjoy from each of those, if you allowed yourself to try. For example, personally, I really don't like contemporary Country music, but I would be open to someone trying to find something I'd enjoy like, "Oh, you play guitar and you tend to listen to very technical players like Paul Gilbert? Have you listened to Brad Paisley's instrumental songs? You might like them."

I didn't mean to come off as mean earlier. I'd just like people to find things that they never would have found on their own. One may find a series that becomes a favorite. I know the same has happened to me in the past. I really do have the best intentions, but I'll be less argumentative in the future.

Ponn

Banned
So I finished Wytches vol. 1 today. Art was fantastic and stylish, you either like Jock art or you don't. Loved the stories take on witches mythology and it was a good little horror book. I wish there was more in this genre and I think there is plenty of room. I haven't heard any updates on future issues and while i'll read them if he makes them I would be ok with it just ending where it did. I would kind of like to see Snyder write different takes on horror mythologies making it sort of like a series. Anyways just my quick take on this book and its a perfect read with Halloween coming up.

Vyer

There is a manga thread. But, like AnimeGAF, it moves pretty fast, and the focus is more on individual "as they're released" chapters than collected volumes that finally get released in America several months after the Japanese version.

Ah. Well, there you go! Lol. So many communities

^ 👌
So many nods to other series and books they've both done. Lots of cock as well lol

Fitting to the theme of the thread tonight, it kinda reminded me of one of my mangas.

The world that Remender and Murphy created is really cool and stylish.

Messi

I have friends that absolutely adore Nana. Messi would probably like it. In fact, we might just lose Messi to the manga thread if he finds enough manga that he likes

Is that a threat? I'll go there you know. You will never see me again.

How do I get to that thread?

Is that a threat? I'll go there you know. You will never see me again.

How do I get to that thread?

I've seen the Nana anime. Been considering the manga.

Nana Komatsu is a young woman who's endured an unending string of boyfriend problems. Moving to Tokyo, she's hoping to take control of her life and put all those messy misadventures behind her. She's looking for love and she's hoping to find it in the big city. Nana Osaki, on the other hand, is cool, confident and focused. She swaggers into town and proceeds to kick down the doors to Tokyo's underground punk scene. She's got a dream and won't give up until she becomes Japan's No. 1 rock'n'roll superstar. This is the story of two 20-year-old women who share the same name. Even though they come from completely different backgrounds, they somehow meet and become best friends. The world of Nana is a world exploding with sex, music, fashion, gossip and all-night parties.

Definitely sounds like some Messi-worthy girly hijinks.

Thanks for sharing

Luther Strode is priced a little higher than most other image tpbs but creators gotta get their money. I really dont mind paying more for creator owned books. Pages/$ are really just one factor when deciding between what books to buy.

Judging from this, you only probably have a few Image series that help themselves with a $10 trade. Millar, Fraction, Brubaker, Remender, and Hickman books all likely sell well enough to profit from the $10 trades but that $5 difference can be huge to a creator. Assuming the artist sees like $1 from that difference, thats huge relief even if the book only sells 1k copies.

You were giving me a bit of crap earlier, in good sport of course, when talking about including $/pg as a factor in buying comics. I think we as comics consumers get hung up on price because single issues eat up so much money. $4 or $5 are pretty common now. $15 trades for 4 or 5 issues is way better for the consumer and likely the creator considering printing costs

Im gonna talk a little about my own stuff for a hot minute. I really only make money off commissions and posters

When I got most of my posters printed up, I was working at a print shop and got an absurd price for them. Essentially at cost. Which means if I sell my posters even at $5 thats a 84% profit. Now why have I been selling my prints at 5? Well, I've under priced them. I figured that at this time in my career, getting my art into the homes of other people is really important. What I learned is that I didnt have way more people buying my posters when they are priced at $5 instead of $10. If people liked the poster, they were gonna buy it either way as long as the price was reasonable. Given how much posters make me in relation to cost, I should just bump them up to 10 again which is still very very reasonable.

With original art, at conventions, I have more success selling original art the more expensive I price it. Im not gonna price my original pieces of art all that high still but people dont want to think theyre getting cheap original art.

On the spot commissions, I see these as on the spot showcases of my talent. To make them worthwhile for me, I need to price out a piece in a way that Im making about 20/hr.

Actual printed comics: I make absolutely no money on these. Any money I make on it goes to offset the cost it took to either print them or pay my colorist. I didnt try selling physical copies for some time and recently only started printing them up again.

Right now my physical copies are 48 pages of sequential pages, 4 pages of intro pages, chapter covers and extras. The last batch cost me 6.50 to print each one. I've been selling them at 7 bucks. That means I am literally making 50 cents per copy

Which, like I've stated goes to offset the cost of getting the thing colored which set me back 1800. So in order to 'recoup' the cost of coloring I'd have to sell 3600 copies. Thankfully I found a better printer that will lower my printing cost to approx 4.55/copy increasing my profit to 2.45! Only 735 copies to recoup that initial coloring cost.

Printing is much cheaper per copy if I could sell thousands b/c then I could get them at offset printing costs, but I can't sell that many unless Im actually being published. This is why I will likely have to do a series of kickstarters if I want to lower costs and find a bigger audience.

TLDR: Economies of scale are a thing. I make way more money doing original art than I do comics

Yes but then you end up with a lot of Image vol 1s. Which isnt bad but then you realize rather than continue a series you liked, you start a new series you may like

A little late to reply (long day), but I really value the amount of insight you've given in one post here.

See, I understand the two perspectives very well, or so I'd like to think, and can see the negatives and positives of pricing your items differently. Reading how you price things is actually very reasonable. I don't think there's anything wrong with pricing things higher, because it does give them that higher value (and let's be honest, your art is good, you should definitely value it). And, yeah, there's the obvious point of losing as little money as possible or actually making some. Still, as a person who's up and coming, I'm actually happy to hear that you have confidence in your work. As I've learned, being a comic creator is a tough gig, so I'm hoping that that confidence takes you far.

There are a lot of those $9.99 trades floating around over at Image, but this has certainly given me a new-found appreciation for them. A lot of creators over there do this, but when you see a guy like Jordan - someone comparatively less well-known - bust out one of those, we don't really think twice about it because it's Image, Image has those $9.99 first trade, oh man Image is great. But, really, there's another side to that that people aren't taking into consideration. Again, though, that comes back to how each creator values their work, so I guess I can't fault the creators. I'll gladly pay $10 for Deadly Class or The Fade Out or X-O Manowar or something I like, but I'll also pay $15 or $20.

VanWinkle

Thanks for sharing

Luther Strode is priced a little higher than most other image tpbs but creators gotta get their money. I really dont mind paying more for creator owned books. Pages/$ are really just one factor when deciding between what books to buy.

Judging from this, you only probably have a few Image series that help themselves with a $10 trade. Millar, Fraction, Brubaker, Remender, and Hickman books all likely sell well enough to profit from the $10 trades but that $5 difference can be huge to a creator. Assuming the artist sees like $1 from that difference, thats huge relief even if the book only sells 1k copies.

You were giving me a bit of crap earlier, in good sport of course, when talking about including $/pg as a factor in buying comics. I think we as comics consumers get hung up on price because single issues eat up so much money. $4 or $5 are pretty common now. $15 trades for 4 or 5 issues is way better for the consumer and likely the creator considering printing costs

Im gonna talk a little about my own stuff for a hot minute. I really only make money off commissions and posters

When I got most of my posters printed up, I was working at a print shop and got an absurd price for them. Essentially at cost. Which means if I sell my posters even at $5 thats a 84% profit. Now why have I been selling my prints at 5? Well, I've under priced them. I figured that at this time in my career, getting my art into the homes of other people is really important. What I learned is that I didnt have way more people buying my posters when they are priced at $5 instead of $10. If people liked the poster, they were gonna buy it either way as long as the price was reasonable. Given how much posters make me in relation to cost, I should just bump them up to 10 again which is still very very reasonable.

With original art, at conventions, I have more success selling original art the more expensive I price it. Im not gonna price my original pieces of art all that high still but people dont want to think theyre getting cheap original art.

On the spot commissions, I see these as on the spot showcases of my talent. To make them worthwhile for me, I need to price out a piece in a way that Im making about 20/hr.

Actual printed comics: I make absolutely no money on these. Any money I make on it goes to offset the cost it took to either print them or pay my colorist. I didnt try selling physical copies for some time and recently only started printing them up again.

Right now my physical copies are 48 pages of sequential pages, 4 pages of intro pages, chapter covers and extras. The last batch cost me 6.50 to print each one. I've been selling them at 7 bucks. That means I am literally making 50 cents per copy

Which, like I've stated goes to offset the cost of getting the thing colored which set me back 1800. So in order to 'recoup' the cost of coloring I'd have to sell 3600 copies. Thankfully I found a better printer that will lower my printing cost to approx 4.55/copy increasing my profit to 2.45! Only 735 copies to recoup that initial coloring cost.

Printing is much cheaper per copy if I could sell thousands b/c then I could get them at offset printing costs, but I can't sell that many unless Im actually being published. This is why I will likely have to do a series of kickstarters if I want to lower costs and find a bigger audience.

TLDR: Economies of scale are a thing. I make way more money doing original art than I do comics

Yes but then you end up with a lot of Image vol 1s. Which isnt bad but then you realize rather than continue a series you liked, you start a new series you may like

Didn't see this post until Launchpad quoted it, but it was very interesting and I enjoyed reading it a lot. I love to see insights into this sort of thing.

Aizo

Banned
Hello friend. Have you read any books by Junji Ito?

I'm sure you have.
I've read I think every volume that he has worked on by himself, including Japan-only releases, except maybe 1 super old one that I'll track down some day. I'm a big fan. Haha.

That's a pretty good sexcrim variant. Love the thing with the names.

Mad Max done.

Think the last game i played that had an ending as grim as this was the original Stalker, but even then, at least there the tragedy was confined just to your character. (and checking, i've been avoiding playing call of pripyat for 5 years. yeeesh).

Sure tied up all the random folk telling max about the lovely image he was building.

Manga is a great deal IMO, you get 300 pages of story and when you're done it's a coloring book.

tumblr_m5klrfJJFp1ql1tbw.gif

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I was so happy, that I am now old and relaxed enough to not worry about some republican asshole winning POTUS race and starting WWIII. Then Trump happen. WTF is wrong with him, he is a fucking asshole.

Do many of you actually dislike manga? I'm sure every person that likes Western comics could find Japanese comics that they like, just as the inverse is also true. It's not all crap like Bleach and Naruto—there are really great comics, like Otoyomegatari, Sanctuary, Parasyte, Homunculus, Vinland Saga, Eden: It's an Endless World, Me and the Devil Blues, Berserk, Vagabond, and Solanin.

If anyone wants to find a manga that they might like, they can PM me about what they usually like. Seems that some people think that if they like one kind of comic, they can't like the other. Just like Western comics, there are series ranging from Action and Adventure to Sports, Law, Politics, History, and just about anything you might want.
I dont have anything against manga, my interest to them is between I dont care and very interested in a couple of books like Akira or the stuff Edge of Tommorow is based on.
Manga fans seems far more intolerant on neogaf tbh, and thats why I wouldnt participate in a mixed comicthread. But maybe thats only a OT phenomen.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I found that Sex Criminals variant on Tumblr.

NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW
NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW
http://imgur.com/sn7Kc1h
NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW
NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW
lol

Yeah. It's kinda out of order.

It's not even out of order, it's like...okay there are 40 issues digitally, but have been bunched together when released in print. One would ASSUME all of them with the similar cover would count as one print issue, but maybe not? And so when you look online, whether on Comixology or on DC's own site, you don't know if they're talking about digital issues or print issues. With Volume 2, it doesn't make it clear but it apparently includes print issues 9-12 of Batman Beyond 2.0 AND Justlce League Beyond 2.0. And now with Volume 3 out, it says it includes issues 13-16 (which would be 25-32 digitally), but says it's the finale, despite the fact that BB 2.0 goes up to issue 40 digitally...

IT'S ALL SO FUCKED UP

Squire

Banned
Alright, so Tokyo Ghost #1.

The art had me like:

JLijS.gif

But the writing?

giphy.gif

I get the feeling that perhaps
only people that actually play games
will be sensitive to it, but goddamn everything out of Davey Trauma's mouth is cringe as fuck. And I got halfway through the book that was part of the intent, but that doesn't really excuse it. In general it sort of has that problem of being very blatant commentary on the part of an author. Hoping Rick shakes that off.

Debbie Decay is great though. That patented Remender narration is in full-effect.

He wants to really shift the tone with each issue and like I said it really is gorgeous, so I'll stick with it for at least a bit.

Agreed

But this intro and song from the original anime is the best of them all.

READY STEADY CAN'T HOLD ME BACK
READY STEADY GIVE ME GOOD LUCK
READY STEADY NEVER LOOK BACK
LET'S GET STARTED READY STEADY GO

Back in high school, I used to attempt to sing this song not knowing a lick of Japanese. I almost got it.
I believe it's French and not Japanese. Or that's the second one. One of FMA's openings is French. Or by a French band.

FMA:B blows FMA out of the water in almost every aspect for me. Like, FMA has so many writing issues that I just can't handle it anymore.

arkon

I believe it's French and not Japanese. Or that's the second one. One of FMA's openings is French. Or by a French band.

FMA:B blows FMA out of the water in almost every aspect for me. Like, FMA has so many writing issues that I just can't handle it anymore.
They're called L'Arc~en~Ciel but are a Japanese band.

Squire

Banned
Ugh. More Planet X conspiracy garbage.

I'm looking forward the Inhuman/Mutant War. Could be a decent event if Lemire and Soule gel (I'm assuming they'd co-write it) with some decent tie-ins from the other guys on mutant books and maybe Warren Ellis.

Lady Killer is fucking amazing. Holy shit.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's not a conspiracy if it's REAL.

If its real. You say it.

Nothing indicates that there will be a Planet X. They quoting shittalker Nr. 1 Alonso to get a proof. Dude said Secet Wars will be a reboot. We know it wont.
And those proofs they get from the solicitations are so vague, they cant even be counted as proofs.

It will be just the every decade returning X-Men are almost extinct storyline spinning over a couple of years, which will be told in 15 differen mutant books. So few, a clear sign that Marvel is killing of X-Men.

Clickbait at its best.

Zombine

Banned
Monster Musume vol1

So yeah, this is the story about some dude named Kimihito who reluctantly has to take part in this thing called the "Monster Exchange Act." Some monster girl with boobs shows up at his door and he's like "man, she's a monster but she got boobs tho." And he decides to take her in. Soon after he takes a bunch of other monster girls in and like every other manga harem story, all the girl monsters dig his simp ass and he's like "do I really have sex with a horse? She got boobs tho...but I did see that mister hands video. Whoops I got a boner! Hahaha." And then they take showers and stuff. And there's some Jello monster who probably crawled out of Bill Cosby's pudding cup.

10/10
+Incredibly well written
+They're monsters so it's ok
+Monster girls
+harems
+it's a manga and a show
+it's on crunchy roll
+IGN GOTY

iYhfgAhpsIdEJ.gif

If its real. You say it.

Nothing indicates that there will be a Planet X. They quoting shittalker Nr. 1 Alonso to get a proof. Dude said Secet Wars will be a reboot. We know it wont.
And those proofs they get from the solicitations are so vague, they cant even be counted as proofs.

It will be just the every decade returning X-Men are almost extinct storyline spinning over a couple of years, which will be told in 15 differen mutant books. So few, a clear sign that Marvel is killing of X-Men.

Clickbait at its best.

15hkcpt.gif

Alright, so Tokyo Ghost #1.

The art had me like:

But the writing?

I get the feeling that perhaps
only people that actually play games
will be sensitive to it, but goddamn everything out of Davey Trauma's mouth is cringe as fuck. And I got halfway through the book that was part of the intent, but that doesn't really excuse it. In general it sort of has that problem of being very blatant commentary on the part of an author. Hoping Rick shakes that off.

Debbie Decay is great though. That patented Remender narration is in full-effect.

He wants to really shift the tone with each issue and like I said it really is gorgeous, so I'll stick with it for at least a bit.
Had a feeling Davey would be the focus for some. His dialogue was pretty bad but I don't think that will be a persistent thing throughout the series at least, so I'm pretty optimistic. I really dug the setting, Debbie and Led, and the art of course, so I have a lot of hope for the future.

Glad you're enjoying Lady Killer too! Seems up your alley. :)

Neol

Had a feeling Davey would be the focus for some. His dialogue was pretty bad but I don't think that will be a persistent thing throughout the series at least, so I'm pretty optimistic. I really dug the setting, Debbie and Led, and the art of course, so I have a lot of hope for the future.

Glad you're enjoying Lady Killer too! Seems up your alley. :)

Felt like Davey was written in a way that the reader would instantly hate him. Doesn't excuse for the extremely jarring and cringey dialogue but I guess it served its purpose.

Diggin' Debbie and Led. Didn't really feel the emotional bits between them though but I'm sure that will be better as it fleshes out a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom