• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It teaches you great morals like monster girls are people too.

latest

Tizoc

Persona 5 got delayed til 2016
Ja84ktP.gif

Not surprised myself, tyt Atlus, it's def. gonna deliver, dat style, dat music, dem characters.

Lissen, i can tolerate mango talk, but talk of jrpgs that aren't part of the smt umbrella can fuck rite off.

Kinda like that thing mangaf does where they do a paragraph bolding what they've read with a short description of feels/comment on what happened. like so:

Doom Patrol #20
eh, overrated.

Messi

How about we are all a little bit more welcoming than we have been in the past few days? It's been borderline toxic at times this week.

How about we are all a little bit more welcoming than we have been in the past few days? It's been borderline toxic at times this week.

Yeah. I'm honestly wondering if I would have joined in if this had been the kind of stuff I saw in the short lurking period I had. I get that people generally mean no harm, but it's pretty unsettling regardless.

Hagi

Lissen, i can tolerate mango talk, but talk of jrpgs that aren't part of the smt umbrella can fuck rite off.

Kinda like that thing mangaf does where they do a paragraph bolding what they've read with a short description of feels/comment on what happened. like so:

Doom Patrol #20
eh, overrated.

I'll gladly talk about SMT when it gets a new console iteration that isn't some weird Fire Emblem mix up with idols exclusive to the WiiU.

hear, hear

Squire

Banned
Had a feeling Davey would be the focus for some. His dialogue was pretty bad but I don't think that will be a persistent thing throughout the series at least, so I'm pretty optimistic. I really dug the setting, Debbie and Led, and the art of course, so I have a lot of hope for the future.

Glad you're enjoying Lady Killer too! Seems up your alley. :)

Pretty much how I feel. It's not likely Davey is coming back, so I don't think it'll be an issue going forward.

Lady Killer is legit the best book I've read in a minute. I read the first two chapters, but I could've killed the whole trade in a single sitting, easy. The book just flows. So gorgeous, too.

I'll gladly talk about SMT when it gets a new console iteration that isn't some weird Fire Emblem mix up with idols exclusive to the WiiU.

SMT umbrella. Includes persona because reasons.
To be fair, that... thing they doing on the wiiu looks pretty rad, provided one is willing to swallow his pride and give it a go.

Worst comes to worst, could be a xenosaga 1 deal, where it was all "dude, i don't care how interesting this story might eventually become
it didnt
, don't make a big budget rpg that i cant play in front of other people because 10 year old pantsu shots". Momo was some real creepy stuff.

I know most of yall to an extent. I weigh the recommendations or praise yall give according to how much my taste align with yours. I *could* get manga recommendations from Manga Gaf but some people have suspect taste

Hey, zweizer is good peoples. never led me astray.

Hagi

SMT umbrella. Includes persona because reasons.
To be fair, that... thing they doing on the wiiu looks pretty rad, provided one is willing to swallow his pride and give it a go.

Worst comes to worst, could be a xenosaga 1 deal, where it was all "dude, i don't care how interesting this story might eventually become
it didnt
, don't make a big budget rpg that i cant play in front of other people because 10 year old pantsu shots". Momo was some real creepy stuff.

I'm going to buy it regardless it's just not near what I was expecting from a mashup of those two properties. It'll be better than Xenoblade probably. I just want something like Nocturne on the PS4.

I'll take whatever SMT I can get. 4 was rad as fuck.

I liked 4 but getting Toku artists to do the demon designs was whack as fuck.

Josh Fialkov going on Twitter, talking about the abuse he went through at DC is some depressing shit man.
Yeah I saw that. Pretty interesting.

I've heard in real life from very talented artists that shitty editors is what drove them out of comics

Which I mean... it's not terribly surprising?

There are a lot of bad editors. Editors who wish could write or draw and micromanage creatives and ask for abrupt changes before deadline. Some who contribute or uphold toxic environments.

Even good editors can make bad decisions or judgements.

A young David Marquez was told by Nick Lowe when he got his portfolio reviewed that he didn't have the talent it took to make it in mainstream comics. Lowe would eventually end up being his editor on All New X Men with Bendis.

Actually, I felt the need to return to this statement. Falcom should get a pass for actually having some of the best gameplay across any genre in their games. The Ys series is what every action rpg should aspire to.

RE: Josh Fialkov, and people wonder why I don't buy more DC books.

Yeah I saw that. Pretty interesting.

I've heard in real life from very talented artists that shitty editors is what drove them out of comics

Which I mean... it's not terribly surprising?

There are a lot of bad editors. Editors who wish could write or draw and micromanage creatives and ask for abrupt changes before deadline. Some who contribute or uphold toxic environments.

Even good editors can make bad decisions or judgements.

A young David Marquez was told by Nick Lowe when he got his portfolio reviewed that he didn't have the talent it took to make it in mainstream comics. Lowe would eventually end up being his editor on All New X Men with Bendis.

Is there a lot of editorial input on the art side of things? I had always assumed editorial was more concerned with writing and continuity and story pacing. (And trying to spot mistakes, of course).

Actually, I felt the need to return to this statement. Falcom should get a pass for actually having some of the best gameplay across any genre in their games. The Ys series is what every action rpg should aspire to.

RE: Josh Fialkov, and people wonder why I don't buy more DC books.

i'll readily admit that i've never got the hang of that "hitting slightly misaligned enemies to avoid damage" thing.

And i dunno, i feel that mgs and far cry are good directions for rpgs to go. Then again, ive always despised diablo-likes. Excited about grim dawn tho.

i'll readily admit that i've never got the hang of that "hitting slightly misaligned enemies to avoid damage" thing.

And i dunno, i feel that mgs and far cry are good directions for rpgs to go. Then again, ive always despised diablo-likes. Excited about grim dawn tho.

They also make fantastic turn based games, which is why Cold Steel, despite having a fluffier exterior, is worth a mention.

I like MGS for what it is, but it has plenty of shortcomings outside of its excellent gameplay. I'm actually relatively new to isometric dungeon crawlers; Diablo 3 was my first, and honestly it's still the best one I've played since the recent updates.

Is there a lot of editorial input on the art side of things? I had always assumed editorial was more concerned with writing and continuity and story pacing. (And trying to spot mistakes, of course).
Always depends on the editor and your relationship with the editor

I'd say standard process is:

Approved script is sent out to artist
Artist makes rough mock up of pages
Editor OKs rough mock ups
Artist draws.
Editor either oks the pages or asks for some changes to be made such as fixing visual inconsistencies (character was holding a fork in their right hand, now it's in the left hand) costume changes if the artists drew the wrong one, and other bits like that.

Finished pencils go over to inks if it's not digitally done artwork. As far as I know, inkers don't get much editorial interference

Then the colorist comes in. Colors are mostly completed and passed to editor who can ask for some changes or okay it.

Then the book goes to the letterer who asks the editor why the hell the artist drew the characters out of speaking order in the panels.

Then tada! A comic is born

Bleh. I don't even know what to add to this, just bleh. I wonder if the comics business will ever not be super problematic given all the issues it has had since the very start.
If it makes you feel better, the American comics industry isn't so big that issues in its culture can't be changed.

It also much easier for these issues to be explored now. I cannot fathom any of this being covered 10 years ago.

Which kind of makes me wonder. Who was covering the industry 10 years ago?

I think CBR and Newsarama were around. Wizard was still in publication. Hmm ain't it cool was a thing back then and covered comics every once in a while...

The comics journal would have been the only one that maybe would have covered this exact kind of thing 10 years ago

Always depends on the editor and your relationship with the editor

I'd say standard process is:

Approved script is sent out to artist
Artist makes rough mock up of pages
Editor OKs rough mock ups
Artist draws.
Editor either oks the pages or asks for some changes to be made such as fixing visual inconsistencies (character was holding a fork in their right hand, now it's in the left hand) costume changes if the artists drew the wrong one, and other bits like that.

Finished pencils go over to inks if it's not digitally done artwork. As far as I know, inkers don't get much editorial interference

Then the colorist comes in. Colors are mostly completed and passed to editor who can ask for some changes or okay it.

Then the book goes to the letterer who asks the editor why the hell the artist drew the characters out of speaking order in the panels.

Then tada! A comic is born

That's very interesting, thanks.

I assume there is a lot more back and forth between the writer and the editor before the script is approved.

Owzers

WOW, I read the first issue of Astro City, and it was fantastic. I love the feel of the comic. Just really cool.

i bought the next 5 issues of that very first series to give it a chance after liking the first issue. I feel a random review score forming already.

Messi

I feel sorry for 90% of the characters in Rachel Rising at all times. The other 10% don't deserve pity.

Wonderful book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom