• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Those look awesome. I am sure they are expensive.

Only like $20-$30 per volume if I'm reading the order form right.

And holy shit, this Ryan Browne Scud commission is amazing.

tumblr_nuq4ccun7x1qf0xcjo1_1280.jpg

Handegg, that's not content with taking over every network station I can get this time of year, oh no... now I can't even watch Adam West Batman and Lynda Carter Wonder Woman on Saturdays because, guess what, the local affiliate has decided to air some off-conference bullsh*t game of the week crap instead of their regularly scheduled programming.

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!! WE DEMAND OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING!

Hagi

That came from battlefield 2, mind. Was quite surprised when i borrowed a friend's acc and everybody kept walking around like convulsing dolphins during engagements.

don't even know if most cod titles still support dive to prone.

I think Advanced Warfare had the dolphin dive not sure about whatever one they are on now. I always thought it was pretty funny like they were diving onto invisible grenades.

Handegg, that's not content with taking over every network station I can get this time of year, oh no... now I can't even watch Adam West Batman and Lynda Carter Wonder Woman on Saturdays because, guess what, the local affiliate has decided to air some off-conference bullsh*t game of the week crap instead of their regularly scheduled programming.

oh that sucks luckily football here is strictly kept to sports channels for the most part. Handegg is only ever on at ridiculous times in the early hours when the only people who are up are watching babestation.

I hate to change the subject from the latest scintillating round of comics pro feuds, but have any of y'all used Houchen Bindery's custom comics binding service? I have a few full runs still laying around in floppy that I'm interested in binding.

http://www.houchenbindery.com/comicbooks.htm

Plan to send my first set in next month, waiting for an online order to arrive. Missing 2 single issues in the run. Will have to figure out GIMP and designing the cover.

Those look awesome. I am sure they are expensive.

Only like $20-$30 per volume if I'm reading the order form right.

And holy shit, this Ryan Browne Scud commission is amazing.

Yeah, the cost should be $30 or less but Messi's main expense will be shipping it back and forth. There are a couple of binderys that people in Europe generally use.

http://www.hollingworthmoss.co.uk/bookbinding.html

Owzers

they are really cutting back on MU annual deals it seems, used to be every few months i'd see a promotion but now that i want one they haven't for awhile :/

Owzers

Last Days of Ant Man #1: This series is just plain dull with the concessional fun sprinkled in keeping me from dropping it. Every conversation between Scott and his ex-wife is a page that sinks the book. Yes, Silkification of Scott teaming up with criminals for the relaunch has its appeal, in theory, i feel like this is the book people buy because they liked Superior Foes despite it being an Inferior story. Random 5/10

tim1138

Plan to send my first set in next month, waiting for an online order to arrive. Missing 2 single issues in the run. Will have to figure out GIMP and designing the cover.

Yeah, the cost should be $30 or less but Messi's main expense will be shipping it back and forth. There are a couple of binderys that people in Europe generally use.

http://www.hollingworthmoss.co.uk/bookbinding.html

Post your books when you get them back

anaron

...what strides has the industry made? It remains grotesquely toxic to women, nearly almost the same as ever.

I'm talking about women readership and how many of the characters + costumes have been designed to be female friendly and given a spotlight that didn't previously exist. There's a shitload of female solos compared to just five years ago and almost none of them look cheesecake.

What you wrote is not much better than writing "40 years old and still interested in comics? lewlz", mind.

uh, what? that's not comparable to what I said at all. How are you equating someone's aggressive immaturity in releasing lame attacks at perceived censorship and internet outrage through terrible covers, to being a comics fan at 40?

Brandon Graham is delightful. I met him at a little book store where his cartoonist buddy Farel Dalrymple (who worked on Prophet) was having a book signing. Graham chatted with me for a while about comics and shit and offered to draw a sketch for no charge. He also showed me his notebook (Fiona Staples had sketched in it!) and talked about Island. He has opinions on things and is generally pretty indie-minded, sure. But he's not a big meanie.

VanWinkle

Has anybody read "DC Comics: Zero Year"? I have it, and I'm wondering if I can read it before reading the two Batman Zero Year volumes. I'm going to read those, but I don't know when I'll get around to buying them. I want to read the issues within this trade without feeling utterly lost.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Has anybody read "DC Comics: Zero Year"? I have it, and I'm wondering if I can read it before reading the two Batman Zero Year volumes. I'm going to read those, but I don't know when I'll get around to buying them. I want to read the issues within this trade without feeling utterly lost.

The only issues that matter to the event are the same as the Batman trades. Everything else is "What was this person doing, what was this person doing, etc." Just isolated glimpses into the lives of all these proto-heroes.

VanWinkle

The only issues that matter to the event are the same as the Batman trades. Everything else is "What was this person doing, what was this person doing, etc." Just isolated glimpses into the lives of all these proto-heroes.

Do they make sense without reading the full Batman zero year volumes, though? Like, the idea of origins/early days of these characters was interesting to me, but I'll be kind of disappointed if they don't work as standalones without having to read Batman.

frye

Brandon Graham is delightful. I met him at a little book store where his cartoonist buddy Farel Dalrymple (who worked on Prophet) was having a book signing. Graham chatted with me for a while about comics and shit and offered to draw a sketch for no charge. He also showed me his notebook (Fiona Staples had sketched in it!) and talked about Island. He has opinions on things and is generally pretty indie-minded, sure. But he's not a big meanie.

he drew a thing for me when i bought the King City collection from RX whenever that came out despite me being a giant weirdo so yeah, seconding that he is a v nice man

Shaanyboi

Banned
Do they make sense without reading the full Batman zero year volumes, though? Like, the idea of origins/early days of these characters was interesting to me, but I'll be kind of disappointed if they don't work as standalones without having to read Batman.

Most are designed to work on their own. Haven't read them all, personally.

besada

Banned
I read the first five issues of Invisible Republic from Image. I really enjoyed it. A deep story, interesting characters, and some really gorgeous art. And interesting science fiction. One of the lovely touches was the strength of the Apiary Guild (bee tenders) who are incredibly important to colonies that need terrestrial crops to grow. And now I want more...

Started 100% and it's really great so far. Pope's art in black and white is pretty damn amazing.

I do think it's funny how boobs are A-OK but not f-bombs

Shaanyboi

Banned
yup. he's fucking 40+ years old and making fun of SJW through comic covers? k

Cho is being annoying because he knows people are finding his shtick annoying. He's coming off like a child as opposed to a contributor to a larger discussion about representation. By this point, it's just coming off as vindictive, especially when he's consistently using Spider-Gwen as some stand-in for "SJWs".

Got the first volume of Descender as well, couldn't wait for the Deluxe Hardcover. Jeff Lemire can write one story but he can write it pretty well.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Got the first volume of Descender as well, couldn't wait for the Deluxe Hardcover. Jeff Lemire can write one story but he can write it pretty well.

As long as Jeff Lemire can make Family a core principle behind the overall story, it's going to be good.

That, or Robot Anime. He'll do both great.

But if I could be serious for a moment, I've passed the capitalist desires of Sam Walton to the next generation of Walmarters. I've decided to dive full force into comics superstardom. I realized I really didn't care what Dan Didio thinks, what Axel Alonso thinks, what Ann Noccenti thinks, if I am my only audience I can accept that and find comfort in it.

A poet once said;

Life can be a challenge
Life can seem impossible
But it's never easy when there's so much on the line
But you and I can make a difference
There's a mission just for you and me
Just look inside and you will find just what you can do

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Mad Love looks good. Gonna hopefully get it. Thank you :)

Hows the 52 Harley stuff? Any of it worth it at all?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Mad Love looks good. Gonna hopefully get it. Thank you :)

Hows the 52 Harley stuff? Any of it worth it at all?
It's silly fun. Nothing you need to stick to, but enjoyable when you need something light. Breaking Harley away from being a relentlessly battered girlfriend for the Joker has let them just have fun with her.

Sandfox

I realized not too long ago that Harley is DC's Deadpool.

Cho is being annoying because he knows people are finding his shtick annoying. He's coming off like a child as opposed to a contributor to a larger discussion about representation. By this point, it's just coming off as vindictive, especially when he's consistently using Spider-Gwen as some stand-in for "SJWs".

At this point I'm sure its about the money he gets from selling those covers in between his other work.

Decided to start reading N52 Nightwing. May be a bad choice, may be a good choice. Also, still reading Earth 2. Just got introduced to Val. Lookin good.
New run has been good fun so far too.
I've heard, but it also seems a bit inconsistent and/or spread apart a bit. I'll trade wait.
My favourite DC series of all time.
Respect
Oh shit yes.

I'd trade the last four years of DC's output if I got Catman, Deadshot, Bane, Ragdoll, Jeanette and Scandal together again.
F'rreal.
Best thing ever done with Bane since Knightfall.

Fight me.

Also, some Ragdoll for a bonus:
Love him
Fucking garbage. They done my boy wrong.

uh, what? that's not comparable to what I said at all. How are you equating someone's aggressive immaturity in releasing lame attacks at perceived censorship and internet outrage through terrible covers, to being a comics fan at 40?

You are criticizing behaviour due to age. Who cares what age he has? Trolling is trolling. You need not target age to make your point, so why do it? Focus on the behaviour.

Tizoc

Simone's Secret Six run is officially one of my favorite comics from the Big 2. I have one more collection to read, but it's godlike so far.

Bane is pure gold

Cosign, I read way more DC books before the nu52, and Secret Six was among my favourite. Such a fantastic run and all the character chemistry was superb.
Bane was indeed the GOAT in that run and I don't think any other series has had him as well written as that series.

PsychBat!

Banned
So these past few days, I've been binge watching Young Justice and I just finished S1. And I finished watching the first episode of S2. Why the fuck did the the show time skip for 5 years? Everything threw me for a loop. Zatanna and Rocket being in the League and Megan and Superboy not being together? I was like holy shit, what the fuck is she doing with Lagoon Boy? I mean... what the hell happened?

Obviously, this is gonna take some time to get used to. Just a bit. Feels weird, man.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So these past few days, I've been binge watching Young Justice and I just finished S1. And I finished watching the first episode of S2. Why the fuck did the the show time skip for 5 years? Everything threw me for a loop. Zatanna and Rocket being in the League and Megan and Superboy not being together? I was like holy shit, what the fuck is she doing with Lagoon Boy? I mean... what the hell happened?

Obviously, this is gonna take some time to get used to. Just a bit. Feels weird, man.
Time skip allows them to allow the main cast to grow into mentor roles of their own within the team, they get to imply years of practice and experience without every case one after the next being this big world'threatening ordeal, we get to see characters have come/gone/grown up, and it gives them a chance to go for those shock reveals. Me'gan running to Lagoon Boy and Superboy walking past is a pretty deliberate shot to fuck with the audience. Plus they can spend some time playing with "what happened to this person, where did this person go, etc." I remember that airing and people being pissy to the notion that they weren't getting a full update up front, as if pacing out their reveals and leaving the audience in the dark for a bit was some fucking crime. Or as if the writers somehow forgot the other characters.

PsychBat!

Banned
Time skip allows them to allow the main cast to grow into mentor roles of their own within the team, they get to imply years of practice and experience without every case one after the next being this big world'threatening ordeal, we get to see characters have come/gone/grown up, and it gives them a chance to go for those shock reveals. Me'gan running to Lagoon Boy and Superboy walking past is a pretty deliberate shot to fuck with the audience. Plus they can spend some time playing with "what happened to this person, where did this person go, etc." I remember that airing and people being pissy to the notion that they weren't getting a full update up front, as if pacing out their reveals and leaving the audience in the dark for a bit was some fucking crime. Or as if the writers somehow forgot the other characters.

I was never a fan of speculation. It usually ends in disappointment.

And from what I have gathered, the season 2 premiere was only a week after the season 1 finale, so it's understandable why people would be perplexed at a time skip of 5 long years.

Zombine

Banned
Captain America: White is just a gorgeous and beautifully written book. I've read it 3 times since I picked it up Wednesday.

Also, I bought all of Prez so #notpartoftheproblem

Seeing Dudebro Superman and Wonder-ine in the Martian Manhunter book just makes me want their real costumes back, lol. They look so weird next to the other leaguers. It's like the Superman Red/Blue of our day. We'll look back on it and go, "That was so mid two thousand teens".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom