• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

She has heard of Killing Joke before so thats why I was thinking to get it to her. It's of course the most reviewed/recommend American comic here in Japan as well. (Not too big a fan of it myself personally)

And Gotham city sirens is what I was forgetting. Never read mad love, might do that just so I can read it too haha.

But thanks for all the mentions, I'll get to looking at some of the things mentioned (more importantly their availability on this side of the planet.) Another reason for wanting Harley nonsense is my actual students (around ages 13-15) have started seeing Suicide Squad as well, so they are all a buzz about her and Deadshot. Can't name a single avenger but know every member of SS lol.

Not a massive fan of her but shes the trend at the moment. Though I really enjoyed her pairings with Poison Ivy in particular (my favorite Batman villain) and sometimes Catwoman.

Her English level is pretty high (two years abroad America and Australia) and she likes more action manga here in Japan, Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Jojo's ect. So something that is more action than plot would not end the world for her, but the opposite would not be bad either obviously.

Off-topic, hows the American comic scene over there? Are there dedicated shops that sell American comics?

I really like his Moon Knight. It's one of my favorite books to discuss on here and break down issue to issue. Aside from, oddly enough, Civil War 2.

But yeah, if you're current on Extraordinary X-Men run, then you're aware of
Moon Knight the Horseman.
I have a theory about who he is, as it's a major plot point in Lemire's Moon Knight.

Haha, well, I am as caught up as volume 1, that was the only trade out a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure I want to read whats under that tag unless it's something widely publicised. I'm definitely filing that away for reference later!

Anyway. I'm giving him a lot of time to find his path with DD because while I did fall in love with Waid's run as you did...I missed Darkdevil, man. And he brought back Darkdevil!!

Glad you enjoyed the review. :) I usually don't get too heavy with the spoilers in reviews unless there's some big deal going on that everyone is talking about.

Haha, darkdevil, that's a good way to put it. While Waid literally proved that sometimes you don't know what you want until the team gives it to you (and thus I am really amped for black Widow), I do like Darkdevil as it were, so I'll grant you that, with a book that's historically been so well done, it is tempting to give him more rope than normal. Tbh, I was kind of waiting for Soule to do an independent book, that's normally how I get into a new writer that has popped up, since it's usually best foot forward. His only thing I've seen though is letter 44 at Oni, and the premise really wasn't something that caught my imagination. Dude does get around, and so quickly too, DC were willing to give him the keys to Superman/WW remember which was a high profile thing at the time.

Haha, this is a real thing that I think about during the great spoiler debate of the last few days. Not what part of the sentence should be spoiled out, or whether we should share what the emotion we felt was, but the fact you can really write paragraphs about a good OR a bad book around it's writing style, characterisation, dialogue, thematic approach, how effective the art was in conveying thr mood or action, and how all these things coalesced and made you feel without going near what the literal plot was. The two can be separated, and as you say, in cases where the thing really was significant in your assessment, spoil tagged.
or to spare people rants XD

e009cca225851157ba26d891c2c86296.jpg

Haha, this is a real thing that I think about during the great spoiler debate of the last few days. Not what part of the sentence should be spoiled out, or whether we should share what the emotion we felt was, but the fact you can really write paragraphs about a good OR a bad book around it's writing style, characterisation, dialogue, thematic approach, how effective the art was in conveying thr mood or action, and how all these things coalesced and made you feel without going near what the literal plot was. The two can be separated, and as you say, in cases where the thing really was significant in your assessment, spoil tagged.
or to spare people rants XD

I think...it's complicated? I've been thinking about it a lot. I think that a very valid complaint has been expressed with regards to Saga, which is crafted to provide a singular emotional experience with every issue. Unpacking that is part of what makes Saga fun to read. And there are other comics like that.

I don't want to go too far down this rabbit hole so that's all I'll say for now, I think. It's definitely something I will be trying to pay attention to.

(and looking back, technically I didn't express despair. Technically.)
though, if I did not evoke despair, then I failed

DJKhaled

I hate how inconsistent Sex Criminals releases are, they take so long I forget what has even happened by the time the next issue has released. Anyone know the date of the next release?

I don't want to go too far down this rabbit hole so that's all I'll say for now, I think. It's definitely something I will be trying to pay attention to.

For sure man. Wasn't attempting to put you on the spot there btw, it was just a natural thought that came.up because I think that daredevil review is a good example. I still have no real horse in this race. It would be rude to preach stuff when I don't actually read weekly, so just take it as a compliment haha.

Nope. Zdarsky and Fraction just keep saying "Soon".

I think I do remember recently that Fraction made a comment about how new stuff was in the process of happening now whereas it wasn't before, but you're right, it was still quite "soonish.

Valkerion, Wonder Woman by Azzarello run? A nice, detached run with no tie-ins or any madness like that, it had a proper finished, consistent throughout. Could be good. It's 6 volumes, I'm not sure that length is a good or a bad thing though, for your needs?

OH, lol, you mentioned you lost interest in that run haha >_<

Batwoman might be a good shout, the Greg Rucka volume, Elegy, since we seem to be looking for DC female stuff. The recent batgirl run by Fletcher & Stewart was three volumes and wrapped up. Gotham Academy is about to start again, but that is reaaaally good, my favourite DC in fact.

It's more that I was not feeling the artwork to be honest, the story wasn't that bad imo but I was hoping for a more... something. I finished her stint in Hades and stopped there. That said I don't think it would be a bad intro to the character for someone who is interested in her for the first time.

I personally like more action WW stories with crazy artwork but of course that does not equate to a good story, and I'm not new to WW lol.

I love me some Ms. Marvel as well, Carol pre name change and Cammy, but I'm hesitant to recommend the newer Ms. Marvel simply because a lot of the points made about being a muslim american would go over her head, personally were my favorite parts of it. But could be interesting I guess. Going to pick her brain some more to see what she would be interested in.

Off-topic, hows the American comic scene over there? Are there dedicated shops that sell American comics?

I've never seen or heard of a completely dedicated American comic shop here in Japan. I live in a smallish city so it's hard to find them here without ordering online. The bigger cities tend to have some of the completed ark omni's in their manga specialized stories but never single issues that ive seen. Usually in their own section/shelf. Size of which depends on the shop/city.

Though I've definitely seen some Japanese youtubers and what not show off their comic collections, including single issues so they exist somewhere or are available online ect. So there is a small niche for it, but so few of the comics are translated into Japanese it's hard for them to gain traction here. Only people who get them are ones who have a pretty solid understanding of English, which is rare here. But things like the figures and what not do ok.

I've never seen or heard of a completely dedicated American comic shop here in Japan. I live in a smallish city so it's hard to find them here without ordering online. The bigger cities tend to have some of the completed ark omni's in their manga specialized stories but never single issues that ive seen. Usually in their own section/shelf. Size of which depends on the shop/city.

Though I've definitely seen some Japanese youtubers and what not show off their comic collections, including single issues so they exist somewhere or are available online ect. So there is a small niche for it, but so few of the comics are translated into Japanese it's hard for them to gain traction here. Only people who get them are ones who have a pretty solid understanding of English, which is rare here. But things like the figures and what not do ok.

Interesting, this is cool to know. Listening the the 8-4 podcast, even as americans living in japan (some for a long time now tbf) they consistently come across EXTREMELY uninterested in both superhero movies & games, despite how they've blossomed in the west, so I'm not surprised to hear that the comics themselves are very niche.

Messi

I hate how inconsistent Sex Criminals releases are, they take so long I forget what has even happened by the time the next issue has released. Anyone know the date of the next release?

Zdarsky said there is no solid date but likely March 2017.

Batgirl

I'm out. I don't care about this story, it's just boring.

Saga

I feel like we get some kind of time skip just about every issue at this point.

Essex County

Grabbed the complete collection and so far I read the first two books. Really glad I picked this up, the first two stories really hit me.

Am I crazy in thinking there was an intention of making the first two stories seem connected while not really being connected? The house and farm looks the same, the bridge where the kids play looks the same, the two brothers look a lot like the uncle and Jimmy the gas station guy. They both go to a funeral in the spring. The whole second story I felt like it was deja vu from a different perspective.

Essex County

Grabbed the complete collection and so far I read the first two books. Really glad I picked this up, the first two stories really hit me.

Am I crazy in thinking there was an intention of making the first two stories seem connected while not really being connected? The house and farm looks the same, the bridge where the kids play looks the same, the two brothers look a lot like the uncle and Jimmy the gas station guy. They both go to a funeral in the spring. The whole second story I felt like it was deja vu from a different perspective.

God damn I'm jealous ha I really need to get this. I think I put it on my Christmas list a few years in a row and never got it and that's how I ended up missing it. I don't think you're crazy at all though, from what I've heard about the book and what he explores with it, sounds a bit right. Really desperate to read myself though. If you like it you should consider checking out the underwater welder next. His next ogn, Roughneck is q return to a similar kind of book too.

Interesting, this is cool to know. Listening the the 8-4 podcast, even as americans living in japan (some for a long time now tbf) they consistently come across EXTREMELY uninterested in both superhero movies & games, despite how they've blossomed in the west, so I'm not surprised to hear that the comics themselves are very niche.

Definitely depends on their age I'd think and whatever their general interest in western heroes is or was before going to Japan. Despite their popularity, if you are not interested you just arn't lol.

But it's also where I think Marvel really dropped the ball, translating these comics more consistently for the newer markets that have interest in these now. Even if DC's movies are kinda crap, people do go see them, especially here in Asia. When something is a trend here, like Suicide Squad is at the moment with the 15-35 year old crowd, it's time to strike while the iron is hot. Everyone is talking about Harley and Joker ect, and their merch will be selling well. Time to get the books out here too in the native language. But I doubt that will happen... since it hasn't yet -eyeroll-

Granted they are more popular in places like Korea and China than Japan but still people are into it. Halloween will be every girl dressed as Harley guaranteed.

Definitely depends on their age I'd think and whatever their general interest in western heroes is or was before going to Japan. Despite their popularity, if you are not interested you just arn't lol.
-

Granted they are more popular in places like Korea and China than Japan but still people are into it. Halloween will be every girl dressed as Harley guaranteed.

Oh, for sure, I do appreciate the example I noted is just one (quite) specific example, I did try and caveat that but your right of course, it could just be their group style oppose to a japan thing. They are of the 35-45 age group.

I hope to see some sort of babymetal x harley quinn thing coming halloween ha I can wish at least

kmfdmpig

She has heard of Killing Joke before so thats why I was thinking to get it to her. It's of course the most reviewed/recommend American comic here in Japan as well. (Not too big a fan of it myself personally)

And Gotham city sirens is what I was forgetting. Never read mad love, might do that just so I can read it too haha.

But thanks for all the mentions, I'll get to looking at some of the things mentioned (more importantly their availability on this side of the planet.) Another reason for wanting Harley nonsense is my actual students (around ages 13-15) have started seeing Suicide Squad as well, so they are all a buzz about her and Deadshot. Can't name a single avenger but know every member of SS lol.

Not a massive fan of her but shes the trend at the moment. Though I really enjoyed her pairings with Poison Ivy in particular (my favorite Batman villain) and sometimes Catwoman.

Her English level is pretty high (two years abroad America and Australia) and she likes more action manga here in Japan, Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Jojo's ect. So something that is more action than plot would not end the world for her, but the opposite would not be bad either obviously.

They're not linked to Suicide Squad at all, but the female led DC series I'd recommend would be:
Power Girl (pre Nu52 version).
Zatanna
and
the Starfire series that ended a few months ago.

Mad Love and Gotham Sirens, which were recommended earlier are good suggestions. The current Harley Quinn is something I'd avoid. Killing Joke, while a classic, is not really a story I'd recommend to a Batgirl fan.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Cap America Steve Rogers is so fucking good

I almost feel bad for the dweebs who were outraged and never read it

Killing Joke, while a classic, is not really a story I'd recommend to a Batgirl fan.

Haha, I thought about this too.
I also expect at least one person to respond with "&#8220;it was just sex for God's sake"

Cap America Steve Rogers is so fucking good

I almost feel bad for the dweebs who were outraged and never read it

But only almost, right?? I really enjoyed Bruabker's cap run, but I'm quickly beginning to think it may end up being the only run of Cap I ever enjoy. And I really do want a hydra fueled espionage book. Remender's run I really activately disliked as being all encompassing of his various flaws, and I'm just not read to trust Spencer again ha. I'll try the fix first and see how I get along with him this time. I also am struggling to get behind Saiz's art and I'm not sure why, I believe I've enjoyed him in the past. The previews are a real turnoff for me for some reason though. EDIT: That's right, the Soule Swamp Thing I mentioned wanting to read earlier, I believe that was Saiz, and I thought all of that looked fantastic.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
But only almost, right?? I really enjoyed Bruabker's cap run, but I'm quickly beginning to think it may end up being the only run of Cap I ever enjoy. And I really do want a hydra fueled espionage book. Remender's run I really activately disliked as being all encompassing of his various flaws, and I'm just not read to trust Spencer again ha. I'll try the fix first and see how I get along with him this time. I also am struggling to get behind Saiz's art and I'm not sure why, I believe I've enjoyed him in the past. The previews are a real turnoff for me for some reason though. EDIT: That's right, the Soule Swamp Thing I mentioned wanting to read earlier, I believe that was Saiz, and I thought all of that looked fantastic.
Only almost.

If you have MU, I'd definitely check it out. Sam Wilson is decent too.

Only almost.

If you have MU, I'd definitely check it out. Sam Wilson is decent too.

You know, I don't. I have had it in the past, last time I think was when they were putting up the first six issues of all the original Marvel Now, but I'm thinking maybe I should pay whatever the cost is when the first of a new wave of marvel arrives to trial stuff and figure out what trades I want to get.

TheFlow

Banned
Thor God of Thunder #1-11

two great arcs, that actually had an compelling villain. That final battle was amazing.

5/5

Boogiepop

Anyway. I'm giving him a lot of time to find his path with DD because while I did fall in love with Waid's run as you did...I missed Darkdevil, man. And he brought back Darkdevil!! How could I not give him...like...at least 25 issues to make it a great book. I do think it has come a long way in eleven issues. I have high hopes despite not having much to base them on. Glad you enjoyed the review. :) I usually don't get too heavy with the spoilers in reviews unless there's some big deal going on that everyone is talking about.

2407170-2404169_darkdevil___03___fathers_of_the_sin___23___bc.jpg

I thought this guy was being discussed for a second and was like "wait, what?"... but then I realized this just refers to Daredevil being dark, doesn't it?

Boogiepop

LOL. what even is this? Yea, we just meaning the more moody noirey crime book style DD. Is this a 2099 thing?

It's Darkdevil, the son of Ben Reilly possessed by both a demon and the ghost of Matt Murdock! And he's from the Spider-Girl universe, actually. (It's an incredibly stupid edgy idea, but I actually kind of liked the character...)

Not really a response to your movie news, but still a good jump off point: if I want to try Bloodshot Reborn, but almost nothing else that came before or concurrently...is it advisable to read the valient? Is that a set-up thing or a pay off for all the books that came out previously?

It's Darkdevil, the son of Ben Reilly possessed by both a demon and the ghost of Matt Murdock! And he's from the Spider-Girl universe, actually. (It's an incredibly stupid edgy idea, but I actually kind of liked the character...)

I now LOVE Darkdevil hahaha. That is incredible

Oh, for sure, I do appreciate the example I noted is just one (quite) specific example, I did try and caveat that but your right of course, it could just be their group style oppose to a japan thing. They are of the 35-45 age group.

I hope to see some sort of babymetal x harley quinn thing coming halloween ha I can wish at least

It's a start.

5ygnbpa8qtox.jpg

Yea Spidergirl was fun. Its also where i started going numb to the shyster crap about the cancelling book and if we care we'll do thier job to get people to buy it noise.

Top Bottom