• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Um, hi comicgaf.
*Nervous wave*

Long-time lurker, week old member and I was hoping for some recommendations. I'm a big liker of expansive/logical storylines and a cohesive lore. My all-time favorite comics are Fableshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fables_(comics), American Vampirehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Vampire, and Monstresshttp://www.avclub.com/article/monstress-captivates-its-fusion-western-comics-and-227787. I don't like stories where the characters meander off for no reason or the premise is just a thin veil for something else (looking at you Deadly Class and your stupid drug trips) or is riddled with logical inconsistencies.

Thank you for any help.

Welcome to the party :)

Lazarus
Rumble
Birthright
East of West
Manifest Destiny

Um, hi comicgaf.
*Nervous wave*

Long-time lurker, week old member and I was hoping for some recommendations. I'm a big liker of expansive/logical storylines and a cohesive lore. My all-time favorite comics are Fableshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fables_(comics), American Vampirehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Vampire, and Monstresshttp://www.avclub.com/article/monstress-captivates-its-fusion-western-comics-and-227787. I don't like stories where the characters meander off for no reason or the premise is just a thin veil for something else (looking at you Deadly Class and your stupid drug trips) or is riddled with logical inconsistencies.

Thank you for any help.
You should keep reading Deadly Class cuz the drug trips take a backseat to the over arching plot, which believe me really pays off. This currently wouldn't be my favorite indie book if it was just mindless drug trips, and even the drug trips have meaning.

Oh my god, I totally forgot about
the aliens!
There are so many ways this could go, especially with the
lillies and the Roger reference.

Not gonna lie, I watched the video twice to make sure I saw the date right and confirmed it couldn't be about that asshole Johann.

LOL Johann. Rereading hell on earth now, it's the first thing you notice, everyone has tensions between each and are at each others throats. Johann has gone full asshole for some time. The evolution of Arcudi's characterisation of everyone really suits the bleaker darker tone. Also there is some sick lovecraftian stuff in these stories haha.

and totally! Really excited by this one. The alien who died in the conqueror worm definitely said he was there at Hellboys birth as an assassin sent to kill him. I honestly never thought they would come back to that stuff

kinda sucks that only #1 issue of Rumble is up on CMX unlimited. I didn't know what to make of it

It's awesome but I know what you mean. I remember the previews for issue one and I honestly was a little wtf is this. Worth reading a few issues in to catch onto everything that's going on, it drops you in the deep end. Honestly think it's a fantastic book though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is Robots in Disguise and More than Meets The Eye concurrent or is one after the other?

It's a good job Starfleet doesn't have money anymore. The insurance premiums for a Constitution-class must be crazy.
More? Seriously? It was that popular?
So I just finished re-reading the "Faith in Monsters" first arc of the Warren Ellis run on Thunderbolts and goddamn. I love it.

Question is, I was trying to think of something to read as a follow up, that might have the same level of dialogue and action, and I'm kind of at a loss.

Any suggestions?
Gail Simone's Secret Six
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
Remender's Uncanny X-Force
Spurrier's X-Force
Hickman's Secret Warriors
Secret Identities
Death Vigil

Messi

Only 4 issues of Justice League vs Suicide Squad shipping in January. None have art by Jason Fabok. Weren't we told he was on art for this?.

We are also getting regular issues of JL, SS and JLA during that time.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
100% good luck quitting when you hit that last page BTW

That hardcover is stunning.

Yeah, I felt that way about so many Image comics that I am tradereading lately.

The end of Monster Men was so-so. The conceptual stuff from Strange to Batman was entertaining, but really short-lived. Probably off 'Tec now.

Sandfox

Only 4 issues of Justice League vs Suicide Squad shipping in January. None have art by Jason Fabok. Weren't we told he was on art for this?.

DC is putting out a lot more than I expected for that event in January lol.

tim1138

LOL Johann. Rereading hell on earth now, it's the first thing you notice, everyone has tensions between each and are at each others throats. Johann has gone full asshole for some time. The evolution of Arcudi's characterisation of everyone really suits the bleaker darker tone. Also there is some sick lovecraftian stuff in these stories haha.

and totally! Really excited by this one. The alien who died in the conqueror worm definitely said he was there at Hellboys birth as an assassin sent to kill him. I honestly never thought they would come back to that stuff

I'm just glad I wasn't the only one to notice Johann becoming a total shit heel.

Re: the Visitor

I went back and read the wiki for Conqueror Worm and I think you're right. I bet that the line dialog referencing Roger is actually from Conqueror Worm.

Lois_Lane

Welcome!

Have you tried Saga? Or The Wicked + The Divine? Y The Last Man? Ex Machina? East of West?

Also, as you're new, if you put the word you want between the {URL} and {/URL} boxes, it will show that word instead of the url itself. You can quote this post to see what I mean.

Cool!
I read and abandoned Saga because it kinda had the same problems Deadly Class did (
I wanted to see the MCs settle down and struggle through the culture clashes culturally dissimilar couples go through instead of a constant chase sequence so ended up bailing when their family got broken up again with Hazel getting kidnapped.
)

Also can you explain WTF is up with the wicked and the divine? I was already to read a story about Gods walking among us in form of celebrities, then got a face full of insanity.
Why did the New Gods appear? Why are they so prominent now when they have 'supposedly' existed since forever? Where the hell is the US Govt in all this or all the other world government's? Like what?

I will be checking out the last three though.

You should keep reading Deadly Class cuz the drug trips take a backseat to the over arching plot, which believe me really pays off. This currently wouldn't be my favorite indie book if it was just mindless drug trips, and even the drug trips have meaning.

I know the drug trips have meaning but they get so heavy-handed and he has made no headway in trying to kill Reagan. I've read up to the story part where
Saya and Willie are against Marcus for him out Willie as a simp and then Marcus failed to murder the weird russian jock but did kill his nice fighting instructor.
The fuck-ups got too much and I bailed. This doesn't mean I dislike flawed, I just dislike characters who only seem to have flaws. Alana and Marko(from Saga) have each got severe issues but their love for their family overcomes it. Marcus doesn't have that overcoming factor, at least for me.

Locke and Key. Hellboy. Sweet Tooth. The sixth gun in fact. These could all fit :) oh and I suppose it's worth mentioning the wake? If you like Snyder and American Vamp already. These are all a mix in length but all have an interesting lore and mythology and have good character arcs that are intelligently thought out. If we softened the lore part, y the last man is a fantastic character driven saga, and its pretty expansive!

Also hey!

Sup!

Will check out the Wake. I love historical fiction in all forms except 80's form and will check that one out.

Welcome to the party :)

Lazarus
Rumble
Birthright
East of West
Manifest Destiny

How bad is the violence in Rumble? Preacher level or Invincible level? I can't do Preacher level. Will check out the others.

I'm just glad I wasn't the only one to notice Johann becoming a total shit heel.

Re: the Visitor

I went back and read the wiki for Conqueror Worm and I think you're right. I bet that the line dialog referencing Roger is actually from Conqueror Worm.

Wait you nailed it, that's exactly what it is.

"Look Roger. It's a dead alien"
!!

I know the drug trips have meaning but they get so heavy-handed and he has made no headway in trying to kill Reagan. I've read up to the story part where
Saya and Willie are against Marcus for him out Willie as a simp and then Marcus failed to murder the weird russian jock but did kill his nice fighting instructor.
The fuck-ups got too much and I bailed. This doesn't mean I dislike flawed, I just dislike characters who only seem to have flaws. Alana and Marko(from Saga) have each got severe issues but their love for their family overcomes it. Marcus doesn't have that overcoming factor, at least for me.
Oooooooooooooh, again, you need to keep reading. You stopped at a very pivotal point in series.

Would it be possible for them to make a come back like bookstores have or is that just a no go for some reason?

Pffffft. Bookstores aren't a great example of things making a resurgence. B&N probably gonna be broke within 5 years.

The issue with comic shops are that they're usually small businesses, and thus can't really compete with the kind of discounts you get from Amazon or IST/DCBS, and are stuck charging list price for everything. There's very little incentive to shop at comic stores these days when you can get your weekly haul digitally in minutes without having to drive anywhere. Sure you still pay list price, but you save gas and you can't beat that convenience.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Cool!
I read and abandoned Saga because it kinda had the same problems Deadly Class did (
I wanted to see the MCs settle down and struggle through the culture clashes culturally dissimilar couples go through instead of a constant chase sequence so ended up bailing when their family got broken up again with Hazel getting kidnapped.
)

Also can you explain WTF is up with the wicked and the divine? I was already to read a story about Gods walking among us in form of celebrities, then got a face full of insanity.
Why did the New Gods appear? Why are they so prominent now when they have 'supposedly' existed since forever? Where the hell is the US Govt in all this or all the other world government's? Like what?

I will be checking out the last three though.

You know, after I said Saga, I thought that would be your response. I do sort of wonder where it's going sometimes, but the art is good enough to keep me around for basically ever.

As for WicDiv, I'd say
that they're more prominent now because the world is a very different place than it had been 90 years ago, or any time before that. The book talks about how in prior recurrences, the pantheon was mostly seen as a myth, because no one really got any proof of their existence outside of the people that say them face to face. But now we have the internet, so it's easy for the word to get around. Where it comes to government, though, they sort of brush past it a bit. They imply that the pantheon's caretaker has made a deal with the government to keep them out of their hair, but it hasn't come up in great detail.

Found that page and noticed something else

the dead alien looks a LOT like Abe...

http://i.imgur.com/uXMyasz.jpg

God damn. I've even more excited now. When Mignola said that Robersons books would mostly be filling continuity gaps I was thinking of the 1950s stuff but rise of the black flame and now this...gaaaah. One of the longest standing mysteries haha! Roberson did say these books would have a throughline too, that he was working towards something bigger. What's next, the torch of liberty haha!

I'm sure
the alien mentions visiting where Hellboy bled and the lilies sprouted too in the conqueror worm in fact

Ross61

He was only one of the artist slated for JL vs SS.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Well, let's be honest here. Comic shops aren't long for this world, anyway. Marvel is just hurrying things along.

Man, that will be a sad fucking day. Unless I'm a filthy tradewaiter at that point.

Off Batgirl and the Birds of Prey.

I second East of West for Lois_Lane. That shit is crazy.

What am I to expect by reading spider Gwen. Nobody mentions her anymore

I asked last month and everyone said it was SHIT.

tim1138

God damn. I've even more excited now. When Mignola said that Robersons books would mostly be filling continuity gaps I was thinking of the 1950s stuff but rise of the black flame and now this...gaaaah. One of the longest standing mysteries haha! Roberson did say these books would have a throughline too, that he was working towards something bigger. What's next, the torch of liberty haha!

I'm sure
the alien mentions visiting where Hellboy bled and the lilies sprouted too in the conqueror worm in fact

For some reason I don't think Mignola owns the rights to the Torch, wasn't he a John Byrne creation?

Re: your spoiler, you are absolutely right

What am I to expect by reading spider Gwen. Nobody mentions her anymore
Pre-Secret Wars a.k.a. Spider-Gwen was enjoyable. Post-SW a.k.a. Radioactive Spider-Gwen became a boring slog of wheel spinning yet going nowhere. When it finally did go somewhere, it fell flat. I dropped Radioactive after about six issues and read all of the pre-SW run.

Malyse

I dropped Superwoman. I just didn't care about the story.

I still like Spider Gwen. It's got some pacing issues but I like the concept of 65.

I dropped Superwoman. I just didn't care about the story.

I still like Spider Gwen. It's got some pacing issues but I like the concept of 65.
The concept is what kept me hanging on, but a concept can only take you so far. Constant world-building doesn't work for me unless I can be invested in that world, and that book couldn't drive me to keep following it.

If you're gonna build a world, then something has to happen in it.

Malyse

I dropped all DCU except Gotham Academy. I can't stand how often they're shipping this shit now. Still kinda tempted to grab Superwoman, though.

I'm still hanging on to a few books, but I actively dislike a lot of stuff.
Loove Wonder Woman. Looove Bombshells. Love Harley. Love All Star Batman. Really like Superman. Rather dislike New Superman. Like Suicide Squad. Bout to drop Batman and Titans. (I fucking hate that week by week crossover thing. Gimme a main book and tie ins). Like Supergirl sorta but it's on the bubble. I'm close to writing off all of Young Animal. I like Justice League? But it's kinda a weird book? Love Batgirl. Love Birds of Prey. Trinity is ok? Love Gotham Academy. Love Injustice (it's like I don't have to play the game!) Love Raven.

Anything not mentioned is not being read.

January DC solicits up at CBR if you can stand the formatting.

I'm still hanging on to a few books, but I actively dislike a lot of stuff.
Loove Wonder Woman. Looove Bombshells. Love Harley. Love All Star Batman. Really like Superman. Rather dislike New Superman. Like Suicide Squad. Bout to drop Batman and Titans. (I fucking hate that week by week crossover thing. Gimme a main book and tie ins). Like Supergirl sorta but it's on the bubble. I'm close to writing off all of Young Animal. I like Justice League? But it's kinda a weird book? Love Batgirl. Love Birds of Prey. Trinity is ok? Love Gotham Academy. Love Injustice (it's like I don't have to play the game!) Love Raven.

You know, I might jump back in on Wonder Woman. It's a solid book. I was just a little overwhelmed with DC last week.

Also, yes. Raven is great. Loved the first issue. Speaking of Raven, here's the cover for #5:

RAVEN-Cv5.jpg

People don't talk about it because that book is so damn boring. Such wasted potential.

Yep. It's really too bad.

I liked it when
Lois was the lead.
Lana is boring.

Also a shame.
I read some speculation here a few days ago that they might be returning to Lois52 eventually. I think that's certainly possible but it was a mistake to ditch her at all imho. Lost all interest.

For some reason I don't think Mignola owns the rights to the Torch, wasn't he a John Byrne creation?

Re: your spoiler, you are absolutely right

Huh. That makes so much more sense haha. I had no idea that was a Byrne character. I always figured (a little bit like
the aliens
) that it was, I don't know, something thrown in there maybe before Mig had exactly formed what he wanted the hellboy world to be, but then decided, okay, there's no caped heroes as such, so they never referenced it again. Mind being blown this evening haha.

The Visitor will be so rad. Do you read Rumble btw?

Damn btw, Mitch Gerads on Batman drawing Swamp Thing!

Unless I'm a filthy tradewaiter at that point. .

Ruthless!

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
There's very little incentive to shop at comic stores these days when you can get your weekly haul digitally in minutes without having to drive anywhere. Sure you still pay list price, but you save gas and you can't beat that convenience.

I don't think there will be a day when I prefer digital. I get the appeal, but the tactile experience is "comics" to me. I know, dumb, but whatever...

Kill or be Killed #3: Series staved off elimination for another month.

I want to read TBMM #3 but the Indians game starts in 20 and I'll never be done by then.

TheFlow

Banned
Great Lake Avengers #1

I was worried about this because the superheroes are basically C-D listers but man was it both funny and fascinating. Can't wait for the next issue

5/5

Owzers

Power Man and Iron Fist #5: We go from bad plot to no plot, this issue had less going on than an issue of Patsy Walker Hellcat. Random 5/10.

Top Bottom