• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Owzers

Is there even talk of a reboot from marvel? They should all be younger and get rid of all the marriages.

The many marriages.

The argument being made, if I understand it, is that Marvel sort of already low-key did a New 52 sorta thing. A half-boot, where some continuity changed but not all, and the strings connecting everything got a lot weaker. I agree that Marvel doing a full blown reboot would be a mistake, part of what people love is that history, but the half measure isn't really any better, and is arguably worse.

I just believe it is rather specious to say that a "half-boot" happened at all. One More Day/Brand New Day was more of a half-boot than Secret Wars. Okay, things happened a little differently in Spidey (a book I confess I don't pay any attention to). Origins shifting and being modernized isn't a new thing, it had zero effect on ASM, and it's a super low impact title anyway. Miles? What about him being in 616 implies a reboot of any sort?

What other evidence is there? I don't find either of those bits too compelling.

Owzers

Power Man and Iron Fist #6 was enjoyable, but it does feel weird reading a book where Danny and Luke talk about being tired with heroes fighting heroes while being a tie-in to a book about heroes fighting heroes.

man ya'll fuckin suck

like this community is tragic

I see you, Viewtiful. But don't blame me, I've been at work all day. This shit always centers on one poster, and it's not me.

I'm just going with the flow.

Power Man and Iron Fist #6 was enjoyable, but it does feel weird reading a book where Danny and Luke talk about being tired with heroes fighting heroes while being a tie-in to a book about heroes fighting heroes.

It's comics Inception, only way more stupid. I blame Bendis.

Mine was only posted on at the weekend, so I'm still waiting on it. Hopefully in the next few days. Carrying on my reread while I wait. Finished up Hellboy, up to the fury, and reading hell on earth: gods and monsters this evening. So happy to hear you loved it though. Not that I lack confidence, but it's a difficult thing to stick, a finale 22ish years in the making!

Volume 2 comes out this week if I'm not mistaken, I'll grab it as soon as it's on CMX.
I'm all but caught up on BPRD, just waiting for the library to get in vol 14 of Hell on Earth. You're in for one hell of a ride friend.
Oh you guys are gonna love it for sure. Really excited to see what you think.

I have BPRD up to issue 142, so I'm a good 70 issues behind right now. Maybe this will motivate me to pick it back up. I'm so behind on all my comics :'(

Unrelated, but I just finished Gwenpool up to issue #4. I posted a little about it on Twitter but I'm not really feeling this. The writing just feels like a worse Squirrel Girl mixed with some Deadpool-esque humor and it just feels off. The art is cute, at least when Gurihiru does it, but that's pretty much all I liked here. I'm actually really disappointed considering how much praise I've read for this series in this community. It just feels kind of disjointed and ho-hum I guess. Feel like I should've just gone for something else instead.

I have BPRD up to issue 142, so I'm a good 70 issues behind right now. Maybe this will motivate me to pick it back up. I'm so behind on all my comics :'(

Unrelated, but I just finished Gwenpool up to issue #4. I posted a little about it on Twitter but I'm not really feeling this. The writing just feels like a worse Squirrel Girl mixed with some Deadpool-esque humor and it just feels off. The art is cute, at least when Gurihiru does it, but that's pretty much all I liked here. I'm actually really disappointed considering how much praise I've read for this series in this community. It just feels kind of disjointed and ho-hum I guess. Feel like I should've just gone for something else instead.

Do you have MU? I'm not about to recommend you sink eight more dollars on a series you aren't enjoying, but if you have some other way to check them out? Give it two more issues. Gwenpool 6 is one of my favorite issues of the year. I was enjoying it up to that point, yeah, but that one knocked my socks off.

So i just finished Ultimate Spider-Man on MU.. the Peter Parker version anyway. Overall I loved it, but it did have some filler and crap along the way. It left a lot of stories unfinished, lots of loose ends. But.. I feel like i missed an issue or five at the end.
New Yorks underwater and then the comic just like.. ends with Kitty holding the mask. You dont even see him die, it was just Kitty and Jessica Drew rescuing people and then "Fin". Is there something I should have read instead?

Not sure if Spoiler tags are needed but you never know with some people.

Sandfox

So i just finished Ultimate Spider-Man on MU.. the Peter Parker version anyway. Overall I loved it, but it did have some filler and crap along the way. It left a lot of stories unfinished, lots of loose ends. But.. I feel like i missed an issue or five at the end.
New Yorks underwater and then the comic just like.. ends with Kitty holding the mask. You dont even see him die, it was just Kitty and Jessica Drew rescuing people and then "Fin". Is there something I should have read instead?

Not sure if Spoiler tags are needed but you never know with some people.

An event called Ultimatum was happening at that time. The story you read continues in Ultimatum: Spider-Man Requiem and then a new ongoing titled Ultimate Comics Spider-Man.

ElNarez

Banned
Oh man next All-Star Batman storyline is Snyder and Jock doing Mister Freeze and as the one guy who likes Snyder's take on him from the Annual I could not be more excited.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
An event called Ultimatum was happening at that time. The story you read continues in Ultimatum: Spider-Man Requiem and then a new ongoing titled Ultimate Comics Spider-Man.

Their Post Ultimatum Naming scheme was the biggest mess ever and they couldnt figure it out until the Ultimate Universe ended

It would be interesting to see how they would approach Taskmaster in his own book. That character has been all over the place, though I vastly prefer him with a generous helping of humor and more than a little "IDGAF" 'tude.

I do wish they would announce books like the merc titles as minis. If they're hits, great, keep going. You don't even have to start a new volume. But plan for minis, please, so those of us who end up enjoying the six-or-so issues all of those books will probably get have something that feels complete and worth revisiting instead of a failure to launch.

I'm not assuming those books will turn out to be good by the way, merely allowing for the possibility. I AM assuming that none of them will be around in a year.

Sandfox

It would be interesting to see how they would approach Taskmaster in his own book. That character has been all over the place, though I vastly prefer him with a generous helping of humor and more than a little "IDGAF" 'tude.

I do wish they would announce books like the merc titles as minis. If they're hits, great, keep going. You don't even have to start a new volume. But plan for minis, please, so those of us who end up enjoying the six-or-so issues all of those books will probably get have something that feels complete and worth revisiting instead of a failure to launch.

I'm not assuming those books will turn out to be good by the way, merely allowing for the possibility. I AM assuming that none of them will be around in a year.

Marvel realized decades ago that ongoings perform better than minis and sometimes books are greenlit to either keep writers busy in between other projects or as a sort of gift to them.

Worst idea I've heard all year.
I really don't understand why people want the comics, that came first, to be exactly like the movies. I don't get it.
I don't get why people want reboots.
So they can easily jump in at the cost of everything else people like about the universe.
The only way I'd want to read this thing is if it were no longer this thing.
Boom
The argument being made, if I understand it, is that Marvel sort of already low-key did a New 52 sorta thing. A half-boot, where some continuity changed but not all, and the strings connecting everything got a lot weaker. I agree that Marvel doing a full blown reboot would be a mistake, part of what people love is that history, but the half measure isn't really any better, and is arguably worse.
I genuinely do not see how Secret Wars rebooted anything. All it did was eliminate some of the alternate timelines, and bring some remnants of those to the main Earth. Did it alter any backstories? Did it cause retcons? Because that's what everything DC did accomplished.
Oh man next All-Star Batman storyline is Snyder and Jock doing Mister Freeze and as the one guy who likes Snyder's take on him from the Annual I could not be more excited.
Ooooooooo I may have to check that out.

It's funny to me that anyone would even suggest that when we already have at least two major examples of characters being reduced, some might say ruined, by efforts to make them more like their movie counterparts: Nick Fury and Peter Quill. Not a lot of happy sentiment around here for the MCU-ification of Star-Lord.

It's funny to me that anyone would even suggest that when we already have at least two major examples of characters being reduced, some might say ruined, by efforts to make them more like their movie counterparts: Nick Fury and Peter Quill. Not a lot of happy sentiment around here for the MCU-ification of Star-Lord.

I'd say something snarky about all the great stories told with Nick Jr., but then I'd be lying about how awesome Kot's Secret Avengers was. Because it was super awesome.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

The only things that changed are that Miles is now in the Main Universe and Doom looks good but that will change about the time his Iron Man book ends.
Everything else is continuing like in the 50 years before.

PsychBat!

Banned
I like Nick Jr. well enough. Peter is the glaring example for me.

Old_Nick_Jr_logo.png

I watched Blues Clues, Little Bear and Muppet Babies. It was pretty cool.

Detective Comics #942
So, I think this issue cements the big problem with Night of the Monster Men. I couldn't figure it out before, but I finally did. I thought it was because it was a bit boring, because I did find that to be the case. At least the first half was. But the big problem? It's all about Batman. The entire plot line is all about Batman and concluding and continuing his book's story. I look back at Messiah Complex as a top tier crossover event. Part of that is because while it focuses on a singular plot thread, it also introduces and concludes various plots from the other books it includes. Not just one. And then it sets up for future stories.

NotMM does not do that. It's all about Batman and everyone else is just there. Sure, Nightwing's book does connect to it in the most barebones way possible --
the Kobra formula was hinted at to have been used for this
-- and sure they talk about Tim being gone, but that's it. As far as the other characters, they're just there. No conclusion to their arcs or set up for future arcs. I didn't pick this up just for Batman, but apparently that's all I got.

Squadron Supreme #12
This is one of those books that I forget I'm reading, but get excited when I see it in my box and enjoy reading. This issue makes those feelings justified. Starts with a bang (that two page spread) and while it does wind down, it does keep some engagement before winding up to the next plot point. Definitely looking forward to the next issue. Multiversal Justice League is so cool

I just checked the Hellboy wiki and he is a Byrne creation:

I don't read Rumble, but after seeing the creative team I probably should.

haha I can't believe I didn't know that. I'm not very well versed with John Byrne tbh though, that Hellboy book is the only thing I've read that he worked on. And dude, yes, it's basically Arcudi spinning off with Harren to start a new thing with it's own unique story and mythos behind it. It has a lot more humour to it as well. Really great book. It's funny, you see a lot of teams that are successful at DC or Marvel jump off and go do their own book, but the hellboy teams have been so very few and ingrained in the franchise over the years, there's been very little of that. Would love to see what Scott Allie & the Fiumara's would do given a blank canvas. Not that the mignola books hold these guys back, there's a lot of round in there to tell different stories, but y'know. Rumble shows Arcudi flexing some different muscles very quickly, despite having some very obvious qualities in common with his BPRD work.

Got a nice DC haul today. Superman American Alien is a beautiful book.

Oh nice man. I've bought almost everything Batman since the new 52 era started but I gave Eternal & B&R Eternal a miss purely because $ so I'd love to hear what you think once you read through it! I like these "DC Universe by" books they're doing too, super cool.

Where does that place you again, near the beginning-ish of Hell On Earth? It only gets better from here man. Especially when Abe's ongoing spins out, I love everything going on in the two books concurrently. Do you read physically or digital?

Sad day to day. My Dark Horse/Mignola shelf has reached absolute capacity. Have had to split off the Baltimore/Joe Golem books off on their own shelf to make room haha. On one hand it's satisfying to have so many books & to be up to date with the trades, but I kinda liked having all on this one epic shelf haha.

Also, I woke up staaaarving

Read this this morning over breakfast: Click. It's about Charlie Adlard being awarded a spokesperson position, and one of his first bones of contention is the use of the term "Graphic Novel":

“If there’s one phrase I loathe, it’s the graphic novel. It is somebody sticking a label on something and saying they can’t call it comics as that’s for children … it is a label saying ‘this is for mature people’ – giving it another title to make it for grownups. [But] comics are literally for everyone, and there should be no labelling.”

I thought it was quite interesting. Is this a thing? I can't say I've ever came across anyone who had these pre-conceived notions because of the term. It comes out of left field for me. I don't know if anyone else has any thoughts about it though? My own thoughts are really, does graphic novel mean anything anymore? Creators, readers etc all use it and all use it to mean different things at different times. Some times to denote a more serious work sure, sometimes to mean it's an original work like an OGN, sometimes people use it to simply described a collected trade paperback of a series. I don't know. It feels like the meaning is too broad and too much to different people to say it has this one negative connotation. I don't know. To tie it back in, if it doesn't mean much anymore, does it really matter what people call em?

I would give up Foolkiller, Solo and Hellcat for a Taskmaster series.

MY MAN YES.

My Taskmaster obsession knows no bounds. His shitstomp of Evil Deadpool was the best part of Mercs for Money, and he totally foresaw Wade fucking over the others. I must reread every comic Tony has ever been in at least twice a year.

Mindwipe

I just believe it is rather specious to say that a "half-boot" happened at all. One More Day/Brand New Day was more of a half-boot than Secret Wars. Okay, things happened a little differently in Spidey (a book I confess I don't pay any attention to). Origins shifting and being modernized isn't a new thing, it had zero effect on ASM, and it's a super low impact title anyway. Miles? What about him being in 616 implies a reboot of any sort?

What other evidence is there? I don't find either of those bits too compelling.

Yeah, OMD is way more of a reboot than Secret Wars was. Though I expect Secret Wars is the excuse of why nobody will ever mention that Tony was able to build an armada destroying solar orbital weapons platform ever again.

Secret Wars is probably the canonical explanation for the latest bunch of sliding timeline events, but it's not like Marvel haven't always quietly done those without an explicit reboot.

Having said that, I'm sure that Marvel are looking at Rebirth and wondering if they could do a similar undoing of some of their less popular continuity changes for the sake of a quick sales bump.

And there's pretty much one idea that would do that... Reed Richards, with Sue and the kids, returns to take the Marvel Universe on a war against hell to restore his friend Peter Parker's marriage...

Mindwipe

Read this this morning over breakfast: Click. It's about Charlie Adlard being awarded a spokesperson position, and one of his first bones of contention is the use of the term "Graphic Novel":

I thought it was quite interesting. Is this a thing? I can't say I've ever came across anyone who had these pre-conceived notions because of the term. It comes out of left field for me. I don't know if anyone else has any thoughts about it though? My own thoughts are really, does graphic novel mean anything anymore? Creators, readers etc all use it and all use it to mean different things at different times. Some times to denote a more serious work sure, sometimes to mean it's an original work like an OGN, sometimes people use it to simply described a collected trade paperback of a series. I don't know. It feels like the meaning is too broad and too much to different people to say it has this one negative connotation. I don't know. To tie it back in, if it doesn't mean much anymore, does it really matter what people call em?

I think it was more of an issue five years ago tbh. Lots of trades were rechristened "graphic novels" to get mainstream press legitimacy. But after all the biggest films in Hollywood started being based on comics I think this problem has kinda gone away to be honest.

Ross61

@ DC January Solicitations

That Chicago gun violence issue of Deathstroke definitely interest me. I know Priest will give a nuanced tale that get at's the heart of the problem. Plus art by Denys Cowan and Bill Sienkiewicz ?! And I don't think I've read anything with The Creeper in it tho.

And it sure is going to be packed JL vs SS and JLA related stuff. And I'm most likely getting all of it smh. Lmao @ them kicking Hitch of Justice League for Seeley for the event. They want to make sure he won't fuck this up. I know sure people won't be pleased with all the art being frequently rotated, but I'm fine with it as I'm fond of each individual's artwork listed. But god-damn did they pull from a multitude of them, some I've never seen before on JL and SS.One thing for sure is DC is working these artist during Rebirth.

Ivan Reis and Andy MacDonald are the artist of JLA, though I'm sure Reis will be off after a while.

Definitely excited for that Flash Rogues Reloaded arc.

There are some others that I'm excited for but I'm gonna end this post here.

I think it was more of an issue five years ago tbh. Lots of trades were rechristened "graphic novels" to get mainstream press legitimacy. But after all the biggest films in Hollywood started being based on comics I think this problem has kinda gone away to be honest.

Yea, I don't disagree man. I think I understand the thought more about there maybe being a stigma about the term comic book, more than a specific problem with the term graphic novel. He does mention in relation there having to be more comics for kids and all ages which I definitely like to hear, I have struggled to find stuff for my kid, or at very least I have trouble finding that stuff. So I suppose maybe it was just a converse thought of his but I just found it a tad off point.

Also spotted this write up on cbr about rebirth so far in terms of winners and losers. The writer made more of an effort than a pure list so maybe worth a read: http://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-rebirth-the-winners-losers-thus-far/

Zombine

Banned

Certain books have a huge identity crisis in regards to this. The Walking Dead is first and foremost a monthly comic book, but there are tons of people (including people working on the show) that call it a "graphic novel" due to the general public believing that the yearly "Book" or graphic novel releases are the only way to read it, and that it somehow legitimizes the franchise by calling it anything other than what it is

A comic.

What's interesting is that during that Walking Dead retrospective which was on Sunday evening, Charlie kept calling it a comic book, and Greg Nicatero kept calling it a "graphic novel." My mind instantly identifies this as someone who understands what the material is, and the other as someone who doesn't and is trying to identify with this invisible general public.

Ross61

I need some recommendations crime/noir/detective type comics. The only experience I've had so far is Incognito by Brubaker.

I need some recommendations crime/noir/detective type comics. The only experience I've had so far is Incognito by Brubaker.

If that's all you've checked out by him, bru really is still your best bet. Criminal is fantastic, fatale, velvet and the fade out are all very noirey but vary from crime. Some horror, some spy stuff etc. He really is.incredible for this stuff, and. I found all that better than incognito. You might really like Scalped by Aaron. 100 bullets by Azzarello.

His older superhero stuff is pretty awesome too, daredevil, Gotham central is a cool angle on it. Some of Bendis' old stuff too.

Criminal I give the biggest nod for though, as being exactly what you're after.

Top Bottom