• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

TheFlow

Banned
Mosaic

I don't normally type this word but as a Black man the dialog is full on Cringe. This book embraces all the typical stereotypes you see when it comes to a Black man and sports. good lord even the white trophy wife/gf. The issue picks up steam once he gains his powers but it is still a mess to read.

2/5

yea I can't see myself picking this back up

Mosaic

I don't normally type this word but as a Black man the dialog is full on Cringe. This book embraces all the typical stereotypes you see when it comes to a Black man and sports. good lord even the white trophy wife/gf. The issue picks up steam once he gains his powers but it is still a mess to read.

2/5

Oof. Sorry to hear that.

Still awhile out but Oni Press will be putting out a new edition of The Damned, by Cullen Bunn & Brian Hurtt, the creative team behind The Sixth Gun. I believe Bill Crabtree has recoloured it and maybe Hurtt has added some extra story or something, they're putting out a new book set in the world later in 2017 so this is now "volume 1". Extended preview at CBR: click

CvAf1mfUEAAiYKm.jpg

TheFlow

Banned
Power Man and Iron Fist.

listen before I begin let me say this is one of my favorite books period. That being said this issue was underwhelming coming off the amazing set up leading this this crazy prison fight.
The Prison being destroyed and a massive fight breaking out was cool to watch, but that was it. just a big mess.
I think this is the worst issue by far.

To sum it up Carol/Civil War 2 ruined this issue, but the new super villain coming looks cool.

3/5

Messi

Power Man and Iron Fist #5: We go from bad plot to no plot, this issue had less going on than an issue of Patsy Walker Hellcat. Random 5/10.

Why bother to continuing to read a series you clearly aren't enjoying? Why waste that time?

Samnee is on this week's off panel podcast

TheFlow

Banned
Moon Knight #7

Moon knight #6 was easily the best so far, so Lemire got it tough trying to out due his own genius.

Cover is amazing
portrait_incredible.jpg

Summary
The art and story takes a huge drastic turn, and I love it. It is basically a story within a story. Moon Knight went full on star wars. So you think we are just in a different world? nah, Lemire has intertwined two realities into one and the way the colorist/penciler does it is amazing.

So far this is the best issue I have read this month. The colorist did one hell of a job, and I am surprised the book didn't get delayed to make this issue happen.

5/5 I take back everything I said about this run.

Messi

Moon Knight #7

Moon knight #6 was easily the best so far, so Lemire got it tough trying to out due his own genius.

Cover is amazing
portrait_incredible.jpg

Summary
The art and story takes a huge drastic turn, and I love it. It is basically a story within a story. Moon Knight went full on star wars. So you think we are just in a different world? nah, Lemire has intertwined two realities into one and the way the colorist/penciler does it is amazing.

So far this is the best issue I have read this month. The colorist did one hell of a job, and I am surprised the book didn't get delayed to make this issue happen.

5/5 I take back everything I said about this run.

Stokoe and Francavilla? They can't be the regular artists .., you'd get one issue a year.

tim1138

Huh. That makes so much more sense haha. I had no idea that was a Byrne character. I always figured (a little bit like
the aliens
) that it was, I don't know, something thrown in there maybe before Mig had exactly formed what he wanted the hellboy world to be, but then decided, okay, there's no caped heroes as such, so they never referenced it again. Mind being blown this evening haha.

The Visitor will be so rad. Do you read Rumble btw?

Damn btw, Mitch Gerads on Batman drawing Swamp Thing!

Ruthless!

I just checked the Hellboy wiki and he is a Byrne creation:

Because the character is owned by John Byrne, it is extremely unlikely that he will ever show up in a Hellboy story again. In response to a fan letter, editor Scott Allie stated;

The Torch of Liberty is the property of John Byrne, not Mike or Dark Horse, so, in order to keep these books all owned by Mike, we use characters he made up. John's busy elsewhere, so the Torch is gone if not forgotten.

I don't read Rumble, but after seeing the creative team I probably should.

Messi

oh man the art was so damn good. They will be on working on the book at least till #9. which is awesome

I give them one issue before they have a fill in. Francavilla is the man solely responsible for the long ass delay for Afterlife with Archie. He was making posters instead.

Mosaic

2/5

Ah that's a bummer. Well, ya saved me the pickup.

Messi

Today I read :

Civil War : The Accused
Civil War : The Fallen
Civil War : Choosing Sides
Civil War : Kingpin
Civil War : X-Men
Civil War : Amazing Spider-Man

All trash apart from Kingpin. Fallen was an ok one shot showing how the other hulks are dealing with his death.

But I'm done. I keep falling into the trap of buying all in on this crap. Always trying to clear this backlog of crap to get to the good books. I end up never reading the good stuff. I love events. I'm loving Civil War. But after this I am only reading mainline events. No sideline tie ins. I'll keep buying the books I buy even if they tie in. But tie in series can fuck off.

mreddie

Mosaic

2/5

Yeah, the preview was garbage to me

Thanos preview

Messi

ah hell! fingers crossed

Seems they have been on a few issues bits and pieces. I wouldn't worry. He has sorted out the afterlife delays recently too.

I should read moon Knight I've bought it all but only read the first issue. I desperately wanted the whole thing to be fake. I really did.

TheFlow

Banned
Seems they have been on a few issues bits and pieces. I wouldn't worry. He has sorted out the afterlife delays recently too.

I should read moon Knight I've bought it all but only read the first issue. I desperately wanted the whole thing to be fake. I really did.

I can barely follow the book, but it is still entertaining.

Yeah, the preview was garbage to me

Thanos preview
your avy just reminded me to read ghost rider. brb

Today I read :

Civil War : The Accused
Civil War : The Fallen
Civil War : Choosing Sides
Civil War : Kingpin
Civil War : X-Men
Civil War : Amazing Spider-Man

All trash apart from Kingpin. Fallen was an ok one shot showing how the other hulks are dealing with his death.

But I'm done. I keep falling into the trap of buying all in on this crap. Always trying to clear this backlog of crap to get to the good books. I end up never reading the good stuff. I love events. I'm loving Civil War. But after this I am only reading mainline events. No sideline tie ins. I'll keep buying the books I buy even if they tie in. But tie in series can fuck off.

Messi, you are Marvel's favorite kind of customer.

Messi

Messi, you are Marvel's favorite kind of customer.

I know. I'm a fool :(

Oh. I read the two most recent issues of Totally Awesome Hulk. That book is great. The art was by Del Mundo and the second issue was by Asrar. Del Mundo absolutely killed it. I have no doubts about him on Avengers. His issue of hulk looked so good. Asrar also did great work. That book has been blessed with great art.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Marvel getting absolutely bodied in sales. Utterly deserved.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Because they don't know how to change direction. ANAD was the closest they've managed to come so far, but everything diverted back to the status quo way too soon.

The problem is they did change direction, and it clearly wasn't the right one. The mythical market that places like Twitter and Tumblr lead companies to believe exists doesn't, all while they tell the once loyal audience with 'vanilla' tastes to get thee behind thee.

That they didn't reboot into an MCU comicverse after Secret Wars and build something there is still astounding to me. There's this billion dollar generating insane extended audience, characters that couldn't be at higher recognitions and Marvel's like "hey, you want a Solo book? Prowler? Foolkiller? SLAPSTICK?" What even the fuck. Then they try to clumsily launch some stuff around the Netflix series and so forth that fizzles out.

Needs a total cleansing of the higher ups and a focus on art that isn't dogshit and building books and locked in teams for longer than 1 year and a half runs.

Ross61

The problem is they did change direction, and it clearly wasn't the right one. The mythical market that places like Twitter and Tumblr lead companies to believe exists doesn't, all while they tell the once loyal audience with 'vanilla' tastes to get thee behind thee.

That they didn't reboot into an MCU comicverse after Secret Wars and build something there is still astounding to me. There's this billion dollar generating insane extended audience, characters that couldn't be at higher recognitions and Marvel's like "hey, you want a Solo book? Prowler? Foolkiller? SLAPSTICK?" What even the fuck. Then they try to clumsily launch some stuff around the Netflix series and so forth that fizzles out.

Needs a total cleansing of the higher ups and a focus on art that isn't dogshit and building books and locked in teams for longer than 1 year and a half runs.

I'm not currently reading Marvel right now, but some of this seems hyperbolic.

JL vs SS + tie-ins + JLA one-shots are going to be a bitch on my wallet.

Hagi

Damn man Aaron stays killing it, give it to me now. Not a fan of short hair Thor it just doesn't feel right him not having amazing long flowing locks.

mreddie

Axel Alonso just needs to go

TheFlow

Banned

bold is what I agree with.

TheFlow

Banned
All-New Ghost Rider 1-5

what a fucking page turner. It is like the Luthor strode series in pure over the top action and killing but with the Ghost rider touch. Like damn the curse words might be censored, but don't let that fool you into thinking this isn't one violent book. I feel like I have stumbled unto yet another great series.
Capture6.png

The art is just a sight to behold digitally, the fire affects are done so well. The story is simple but awesome.
1397060544941_zps01e73369.jpg

hands down one of my favorite Knockouts to ever grace a Marvel comic. All of this in just the first 5 issues.

I am saving the rest for tomorrow, but if it maintains this quality consider me a fan

Owzers

Why bother to continuing to read a series you clearly aren't enjoying? Why waste that time?

Samnee is on this week's off panel podcast

I think it's like Howard the Duck where the potential for fun is so high and i like parts of it that i continue buying waiting for a great arc but i might just end up with a few good moments in a book i otherwise don't like.

Holy fuck at that last bit of Lazarus #25.

Okay, but seriously, that Slapstick book sounds fun.

I think it's like Howard the Duck where the potential for fun is so high and i like parts of it that i continue buying waiting for a great arc but i might just end up with a few good moments in a book i otherwise don't like.

So it's like Overwatch?

shingi70

Banned
All DC but here who only keeps up with marvel through MU at this point. ANAD has come and gone and now Marvel 2.0 is starting to get off the ground. The biggest mistake of Secert Wars was marvel not setting it as a full reboot or even Harley making it a Zero hour type of event. The fact is the landscape post Secert Wars has felt like such a half step and infinitely more confusing than what came before. This felels like Maevels new 52.

Honestly post Secert Wars we should have gotten the books divided into clear lines that could cross pollinate when needed.

The simple fact that marvel can't answer if Spidey is rewriting the original spider-man origin, or can't detail weather miles is from the ultimate universe still says alot.

All-New Ghost Rider 1-5

what a fucking page turner. It is like the Luthor strode series in pure over the top action and killing but with the Ghost rider touch. Like damn the curse words might be censored, but don't let that fool you into thinking this isn't one violent book. I feel like I have stumbled unto yet another great series.
Capture6.png

The art is just a sight to behold digitally, the fire affects are done so well. The story is simple but awesome.
1397060544941_zps01e73369.jpg

hands down one of my favorite Knockouts to ever grace a Marvel comic. All of this in just the first 5 issues.

I am saving the rest for tomorrow, but if it maintains this quality consider me a fan
I'ma tell you right now, the rest is not good.

I don't get why people want reboots.

Right? N52 pulled in some new eyes - at first, anyway - but it fucked the continuity and people were pissed. People still laugh about what a mess it was for Batman. And there was no way to do a full Bat reboot without wiping out a ton of beloved supporting characters. Even Crisis on Infinite Earths wasn't really a reboot...it was a realignment. It hasn't truly been done in a full, literal sense in the big 2 outside elseworlds stories and when big chunks of continuity get wiped out it makes fans of those characters unhappy more often than not.

I would hate it if Marvel attempted a full, REAL reboot. It would be a complete mess.

The only way I'd want to read this thing is if it were no longer this thing.

Bingo bango.

The argument being made, if I understand it, is that Marvel sort of already low-key did a New 52 sorta thing. A half-boot, where some continuity changed but not all, and the strings connecting everything got a lot weaker. I agree that Marvel doing a full blown reboot would be a mistake, part of what people love is that history, but the half measure isn't really any better, and is arguably worse.

Top Bottom