• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I was going to post the 3 books from Marvel's solicits that I was planning on reading. Then I realized my sub will be long expired by the time they hit MU.

TheFlow

Banned
So down with Miles x Gwen

us right now
giphy.gif

Haha. Him. I love it, I can imagine you speaking of him in hushed tones during dark rituals to the darkness behind the stars - this being in your library, which is apparently a fully stocked comic store. I do agree though, less is more, and it's better to leave it with the ambiguous ending. I really do find that whole end sequence gut wrenching though, and Harren destroys it.

Well, damn. I'll see you on the other side brother. I fully expect a post teasing the shit out of me, maybe a lengthy veiled discussion with Tyrant & Birdie where I try and grasp at the straws of what I'm reading. I was really hoping it would arrive today but no dice. I'm not sure my postie even bothered coming out today, the rain was that bad.

Wait who's Him?

TheFlow

Banned
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #6
[2/5]: This chapter felt like a whole bunch of nothing. I don't think it'll conclude in a way that I'll be satisfied with and probably won't have anything to do with why I've enjoyed some of it so far. Will probably drop it after this arc ends.

Power Man & Iron Fist #9

[1/5]: Wow, this entire arc fell apart so quickly. This entire issue is like everything wrong with CWII (I say this every week tbh). The conflict and the characters are so dumb. Let's fight because everyone is an idiot, yay! It's issues like these that make me so glad DC is moping the floor with Marvel in sales right now.

Moon Knight #7
[5/5]: I loved how I sort of knew what was going on early on only for the entire script to get flipped on it's head for me by the end. The art was some of the best in the series and I wouldn't mind another comic in this manga-esque style. Just a
fantastic read and it went by so quick that the "to be continued" caught me off guard.
Old Man Logan #12 [4/5]: I think the overall arc continues to feel a bit forced in having that flashback setup continue on but this one still worked due to the flashbacks being largely character focused and it finally feels like the arc is coming on to it's own. Art is top notch as always.

Wonder Woman #8
[3/5]: Like the first issue, this context less issue doesn't work for me in it's entirety. You can tell it's building up to something but a bit more context before dropping an origin story on a secondary character would go a long way in making me interested.

All-Star Batman #3
[3/5]: I feel like this is so close to being great but it's falling short because of the way Snyder's set it up. The first issue's setup really dampens the enjoyment even here and I think a more straightforward approach to storytelling would benefit this series much more, because what's here isn't working out as well as it should.

--

How the hell can Marvel put out that Captain Marvel solicit with a straight face?

Why the fuck is this character even alive post-CWII? This is Tony after CWI all over again. They're gonna have her get mind-wiped so she's less abhorrent.

We have the exact same thoughts.

PM&IF turned into a hot mess for the ending of the arc. I honestly blame CW2. The serious tone for the arc was awesome, and the topics were right on the nose, but it ended being just a giant brawl.

moon knight is the biggest mind fuck in the game. we should all take bets on what we really think is happening

tim1138

We figured it out Donnie:

“In ‘Hellboy: Seed of Destruction,’ readers were given a brief glimpse of a crew of strange looking aliens monitoring the supernatural doings on Earth from way out in space. We later learned that one of those aliens had been sent to Earth to kill him in 1944, but chose to spare him at the last moment,” Chris Roberson said in an official statement. “In THE VISITOR, we explore who those aliens are, why that assassin was sent to kill Hellboy, and just what he was doing in all of the years in between.”

http://www.cbr.com/mignola-returns-...al-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-TW&view=list

We figured it out Donnie:

Hahah so we did! Damn. Gonna be so cool

This looks so fire.

It's interesting that the Mignolaverse is expanding to fast for Dave Stewart to keep up. Another colorist is also doing Witchfinder (very well I might add).

Who is doing Witchfinder? I like Crabtree a lot, his stuff on sixth gun was awesome. I did note no Stewart though, kinda crazy.

Also, I love this quote form Grist:
I remember when I first read Hellboy: The Conqueror Worm,” said Grist. “Halfway through Mike Mignola throws in this character who has been tracking Hellboy ever since he arrived on Earth, who then
promptly dies
and is dismissed by Hellboy in a single sentence.

Manages to sum up a lot of the way things go in these books haha

We have the exact same thoughts.

PM&IF turned into a hot mess for the ending of the arc. I honestly blame CW2. The serious tone for the arc was awesome, and the topics were right on the nose, but it ended being just a giant brawl.

moon knight is the biggest mind fuck in the game. we should all take bets on what we really think is happening

What really threw me for a loop in Moon Knight was:

The attack on the Moon Base and the Cafe seemed to be the one and the same but then it looks like Marc saw the past (as opposed to an event in progress) cause he walks in on it as opposed to waking up in the cafe. Or maybe I misread that?

This definitely feels like all his memories are colliding all at once and his mind is trying to make it work by putting it in a logical linear progression. Because the timeline stuff seems whack to me.

TheFlow

Banned
What really threw me for a loop in Moon Knight was:

The attack on the Moon Base and the Cafe seemed to be the one and the same but then it looks like Marc saw the past (as opposed to an event in progress) cause he walks in on it as opposed to waking up in the cafe. Or maybe I misread that?

This definitely feels like all his memories are colliding all at once and his mind is trying to make it work by putting it in a logical linear progression. Because the timeline stuff seems whack to me.

damn I didn't think of it like that. but it definitely looked like him trying to piece it all together.

Michelle Madsen. It's gorgeous though.

Brilliant, can't wait to check that one out. I'd say witchfinder has been an interesting series, the creative team hasn't been nearly as consistent as other books in the line, so it's ended up with each volume feeling quite distinct. Really liked the unland story, as different as it was.

Saw this little thing about the final HB volume shipping, includes some comments from other creators including Frank Miller! Also it interestingly mentions rumblings of a Hellboy tv show? I don't think I've seen that anywhere, I'd love to know the source on that.

http://www.creativebloq.com/news/closing-the-door-on-hell-artists-pay-tribute-to-hellboy?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CreativeBloq+%28Creative+Bloq%29

Sandfox

Like what?
-We already know about the X-Men and Inhumans thing
-We know that something else is coming in the spring
-We know that
regular Cap
is coming back in 2017
-
The Red Skull stuff that Remender set up is ending

There's more, but I don't have the time to write it out atm.

TheFlow

Banned
-We already know about the X-Men and Inhumans thing
-We know that something else is coming in the spring
-We know that
regular Cap
is coming back in 2017
-
The Red Skull stuff that Remender set up is ending

There's more, but I don't have the time to write it out atm.
Sounds good. X men will bring in some mula

Boogiepop

Just out of curiosity, do my fellow Mignolaverse readers have The Amazing Screw-on Head and Others in their collections? It's non-cannon for fairly obvious reasons from what I remember, but it's a great little collection of crazy off the walls stuff that doesn't really seem to get mentioned ever.

Just out of curiosity, do my fellow Mignolaverse readers have The Amazing Screw-on Head and Others in their collections? It's non-cannon for fairly obvious reasons from what I remember, but it's a great little collection of crazy off the walls stuff that doesn't really seem to get mentioned ever.

Hahah, no actually! It's one of the very very few books I don't have that he's put out at dark horse. There's a bit of a silly story behind why lol one year my partner was going to get me it for christmas ( I guess 2010), and I saw it in her amazon basket by accident, and she declared she would never buy me it because I ruined the surprise haha. Several years later and I still don't have it, but I put it on my christmas list every year. It's jsut ended up this funny in joke we have with each other, but you never know, this might be the year...or I'll just buy it at some point haha. It's great though?

The Black Widow #10 cover is so cute

Owzers

I'm dropping Power Man and Iron Fist having read issue 7 and 8 today. I get trying to make the best of being an event tie-in so close to the start of your run but it's not accomplishing that either. They should make Luke Cage an inhuman and have him fight x-men next arc.

Here's what remains of my pull list:

Black Panther
Black Science
Doom Patrol
Gwenpool
Invincible
East of West
Frontier
Paper Girls
Saga
Walking Dead
Wonder Woman.

I'm getting caught up on Black Panther and Wonder Woman next.

The Greatest. That’s what they call her. Carol Danvers has been to the depths of outer space and back, but that still hasn’t prepared her for her newfound status of biggest super hero ever. Yaas, Queen! Danvers may not like the crown she’s wearing, but boy does it look good on her. Just watch out for the thorns it comes with—forces trying to take down everything Carol has built. Carol Danvers makes her triumphant return as the Mighty Captain Marvel! Written by celebrity writer Margaret Stohl (Beautiful Creatures, Black Widow: Forever Red) and drawn by the artfully talented Ramon Rosanas (Ant-Man), this bold new take on Earth’s mightiest and favorite hero!

MQopZp1.gif

TheFlow

Banned
I'm dropping Power Man and Iron Fist having read issue 7 and 8 today. I get trying to make the best of being an event tie-in so close to the start of your run but it's not accomplishing that either. They should make Luke Cage an inhuman and have him fight x-men next arc.

Here's what remains of my pull list:

Black Panther
Black Science
Doom Patrol
Gwenpool
Invincible
East of West
Frontier
Paper Girls
Saga
Walking Dead
Wonder Woman.

I'm getting caught up on Black Panther and Wonder Woman next.
:/

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Was Whirl this batshit crazy in the wreckers mini?

Owzers

The end of Power Man and Iron Fist #8 is so cringey. This hero fighting hero stuff is so stupid, Luke talks about how stupid the whole thing is, but it still IS. It's like the Bard's Tale joking about fetch quests while making the player go on a fetch quest. You can't talk about how dumb something is while you're in the middle of it, involved in it.

TheFlow

Banned

L_O_L.

bruh this gif was perfect

The end of Power Man and Iron Fist #8 is so cringey. This hero fighting hero stuff is so stupid, Luke talks about how stupid the whole thing is, but it still IS. It's like the Bard's Tale joking about fetch quests while making the player go on a fetch quest. You can't talk about how dumb something is while you're in the middle of it, involved in it.
luke was trying to avoid that fight. Carol is the blame.

Owzers

luke was trying to avoid that fight. Carol is the blame.

Carol isn't real. I blame Marvel for recycling a shitty event and then Walker for not avoiding it or writing a strong story to counter it, though I know it's hard to avoid an event that you know can lift your sales by being a tie-in.

Comics were a mistake.

Boogiepop

Hahah, no actually! It's one of the very very few books I don't have that he's put out at dark horse. There's a bit of a silly story behind why lol one year my partner was going to get me it for christmas ( I guess 2010), and I saw it in her amazon basket by accident, and she declared she would never buy me it because I ruined the surprise haha. Several years later and I still don't have it, but I put it on my christmas list every year. It's jsut ended up this funny in joke we have with each other, but you never know, this might be the year...or I'll just buy it at some point haha. It's great though?

The Black Widow #10 cover is so cute
I recall really enjoying it, though it's been a good while since I read it at this point. Just remember it being really fun to see Mignola just go nuts because there was no worries about it needing to fit in with anything.

Messi

What do people actually want from Marvel? Everyone seems to know what they are doing wrong but I haven't seen anyone mention any solutions.

Feel free to keep the...its not my job to come up with a solution posts.

What do people actually want from Marvel? Everyone seems to know what they are doing wrong but I haven't seen anyone mention any solutions.

Feel free to keep the...its not my job to come up with a solution posts.

See also: PoliGAF

This idea that decision makers haven't considered and then rejected dozens of potential solutions is always as amusing as it is wrong.

Messi

See also: PoliGAF

This idea that decision makers haven't considered and then rejected dozens of potential solutions is always as amusing as it is wrong.

Like... Coming soon America and Kate have ongoings. These are things people begged for. I will be stunned if either makes it to 12 issues. People are all about the idea of a book but never follow through.

DC's big idea was to reset everything back to the way it was before and have a bunch of super safe books. Great books, but safe books. Marvel would not get away with this. I don't think.

Newsarama on A-Force getting the axe.

Could there still be future for the title, however? In May 2015, series writer Kelly Thompson told Newsarama at that time that there were more A-Force issues planned after #10 - beginning with the introduction of an unspecified "A-Lister."

"And the arc following Civil War II has a truly exciting A-lister joining the team temporarily. Someone I’ve wanted to write for a long long time," said Thompson. "That super cool A-Lister will be showing up for what I hope will be sort of an unexpected adventure for our team."

According to North American direct market sales figures (as extrapolated by ICv2 from Diamond's released numbers), May 2015's A-Force #1 earned roughly 114,528 single issue sales while September 2016's A-Force #9 had 23,484 - roughly a 79% drop in initial comic book sales. The book went through several creative changes in its 17-month and two-volume run, with three writers and four artists in the 14 issues released so far.

Originally announced in February 2015 for Marvel's Secret Wars line of titles, A-Force was considered the flagship of the company's broader initiative to have female characters at the forefront of its book. Six volumes of a companion A-Force Presents graphic novel anthology was released, collecting previous stories from solo titles such as Captain Marvel, Black Widow, Ms. Marvel and The Mighty Thor.

This week's final issue of A-Force comes just two weeks after the launch of Marvel's newest marque title, Champions.

Top Bottom