• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Donnie. Mah dude. I can't fucking wait to hear what you think of House of Penance. That book swims through my thoughts CONSTANTLY.

Weapon X could turn out to be really cool but they better be putting talent on that book; as much as I love the muties I'm not getting into any more X-books with shit teams.

Weapon X
- Charles Soule, Ray Fawkes. weekly.
hahaaa

I really don't like the teasing the book characters/property first and not the talent first. Get folk hyped on the team first Marvel!

Speaking of that, here's the Deadpool the Duck team:

Written by STUART MOORE

Art by JACOPO CAMAGNI

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Is that more Greg Land work? Wowie zowie, all new.

Does that mean the name of the other book actually is X-ICEMAN???

Please tell me you guys are just making all this shit up about Weapon X and we don't actually know anything yet

If they go to all the trouble to revamp the X-line and keep Land I will weep for days

The Greatest. That's what they call her. Carol Danvers has been to the depths of outer space and back, but that still hasn't prepared her for her newfound status of biggest super hero ever. Yaas, Queen!

Oh god.

Sandfox

IvX being $4 an issue is good and honestly unexpected lol.

Please tell me you guys are just making all this shit up about Weapon X and we don't actually know anything yet

If they go to all the trouble to revamp the X-line and keep Land I will weep for days

We don't know anything other than the title of two books.

Donnie. Mah dude. I can't fucking wait to hear what you think of House of Penance. That book swims through my thoughts CONSTANTLY.

Super amped for it man. I think that's out about the same time as the Dept. H trade actually, January time. Will make good xmas $ spending!

Is that more Greg Land work? Wowie zowie, all new.

Does that mean the name of the other book actually is X-ICEMAN???

Catchy ain't it! Look forward to xcyclop pls

lol greg land writing AND drawing. He just traces other peoples scripts for *inspiration*

I can't think of much worse than another Charles Soule weekly, but him writing Deadpool? Oh lord, no.

jacknicholsonnodding.gif

That All-New X-Men #17 solicit sounds terrible

Hopeless probably thought he was a real genius trying to do his own spin on Romeo and Juliet but with Inhumans and Mutants. The fact that the Inhuman has to be named Romeo is just hilarious.

mreddie

In. So fucking in.

gwenpool10.jpg

The fact that the Inhuman has to be named Romeo is just hilarious.

hahahah oh dear

If you go back a couple pages, Donnie and I worked through what we think it's gonna be about

:D:D offft btw went through the long death....honestly, I need to read end of days, finish rereading but that feels like Arcudi's masterpiece to me. SO SO fucking sad.
Daimio's breakdown at the end capped off with him saying "it's all gone, there's nothing left" is just heartbreaking.
I would love them to come back to that and not at all, in equal measures. So perfectly done.

You're right. Better stick to those "Graphic Novels" I've heard so much about from now on.

Hey now, Charlie Adlard wants to have a word with you and your words!

mreddie

The fact it's the 5th Captain Marvel relaunch(counting Carol Corps) and like the 5th or 6th creative team with most of them happening the past year is something I can't get over.

Trying to catch that KSD magic, the TV writers were too busy anyway, felt temporary.

In for Wasp, Thanos and the usuals.

TheFlow

Banned
Marvel and DC are killing my wallet. You know something is going right when you wanna try most of the #1.

Cap books are being double shipped? is this true because it would make my day.

Sandfox

So it look like
Polaris
will be showing up in Mercs for Money. I don't think she has appeared since Secret Wars.

Dear Marvel, when we said "The Jackal is one of Spider-Man's worst villains" we didn't mean it in that way.
Dan Slott writes a decent Jackal.

The fact it's the 5th Captain Marvel relaunch/renumbering(counting Carol Corps) and like the 5th or 6th creative team with most of them happening the past year is something I can't get over.

Like 2008 Iron Man all over again. Marvel needs to launch their character for movies going forward, everyone hates their guts in-universe and there's been about 20 books in the last few years (anyone remember Hypervelocity Iron Man? No? Okay).

Iron Man got the Fraction run out of that. We'll see what happens here.

Hey now, Charlie Adlard wants to have a word with you and your words!

He already hates my guts after I met him and my friend asked for a Daryl sketch.

Man, today's back issues on CMX from Marvel are mostly Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Son of Satan/Daimon Hellstrom. Wonder why he's getting focus now?

Like 2008 Iron Man all over again. Marvel needs to launch their character for movies going forward, everyone hates their guts in-universe and there's been about 20 books in the last few years (anyone remember Hypervelocity Iron Man? No? Okay).

Iron Man got the Fraction run out of that. We'll see what happens here.

He already hates my guts after I met him and my friend asked for a Daryl sketch.

LOL

Charlie Adlard's list of things to be fixed about comics:

- The use of the term "Graphic Novel"
- Tetrax & friend.

That's it. He's making enough bank, he don't care about anything else.

LOL

Charlie Adlard's list of things to be fixed about comics:

- The use of the term "Graphic Novel"
- Tetrax & friend.

That's it. He's making enough bank, he don't care about anything else.

I mentioned maybe going to a con in the next year to him over the weekend and he said "FFS, NEVER DOING THAT EVER AGAIN!"

So it look like
Polaris
will be showing up in Mercs for Money. I don't think she has appeared since Secret Wars.

Dan Slott writes a decent Jackal.

Well shit the Mercs are finally getting my Money then. That settles it.

His Jackal has been fiiiine but he's still a fundamentally weak character who always runs the same damn plan over and over. He has one of the most specific and narrow MOs of any of the major Spidey villains. This story is already overloaded with clones and it's barely started.

Mindwipe

For a second I thought they were literally changing Carol into a hundred foot giant who couldn't communicate with the tiny ant people.

Which, y'know at least might be interesting.

(I really do hope that they actually write a good Carol book. I'm not holding my breath.)

I mentioned maybe going to a con in the next year to him over the weekend and he said "FFS, NEVER DOING THAT EVER AGAIN!"

hahah brilliant. Adlard had probably just finally agreed to plans that very morning to introduce Dixon into the comics, but then you guys had to overegg the cake. "Fuck this, he's not even in the book yet and people are asking for him. I'm applying to advocate for comics too, get rid of these tv fan graphic novel fucks!"

tim1138

:D:D offft btw went through the long death....honestly, I need to read end of days, finish rereading but that feels like Arcudi's masterpiece to me. SO SO fucking sad.
Daimio's breakdown at the end capped off with him saying "it's all gone, there's nothing left" is just heartbreaking.
I would love them to come back to that and not at all, in equal measures. So perfectly done.

The Long Death was really good, even if he was in it. It was a fitting end to both of those arcs, I think.

I have HiH vol 2 loaded up on my tablet and ready to go for my lunch break in about 30 minutes

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #6
[2/5]: This chapter felt like a whole bunch of nothing. I don't think it'll conclude in a way that I'll be satisfied with and probably won't have anything to do with why I've enjoyed some of it so far. Will probably drop it after this arc ends.

Power Man & Iron Fist #9

[1/5]: Wow, this entire arc fell apart so quickly. This entire issue is like everything wrong with CWII (I say this every week tbh). The conflict and the characters are so dumb. Let's fight because everyone is an idiot, yay! It's issues like these that make me so glad DC is moping the floor with Marvel in sales right now.

Moon Knight #7
[5/5]: I loved how I sort of knew what was going on early on only for the entire script to get flipped on it's head for me by the end. The art was some of the best in the series and I wouldn't mind another comic in this manga-esque style. Just a
fantastic read and it went by so quick that the "to be continued" caught me off guard.

Old Man Logan #12
[4/5]: I think the overall arc continues to feel a bit forced in having that flashback setup continue on but this one still worked due to the flashbacks being largely character focused and it finally feels like the arc is coming on to it's own. Art is top notch as always.

Wonder Woman #8
[3/5]: Like the first issue, this context less issue doesn't work for me in it's entirety. You can tell it's building up to something but a bit more context before dropping an origin story on a secondary character would go a long way in making me interested.

All-Star Batman #3
[3/5]: I feel like this is so close to being great but it's falling short because of the way Snyder's set it up. The first issue's setup really dampens the enjoyment even here and I think a more straightforward approach to storytelling would benefit this series much more, because what's here isn't working out as well as it should.

--

How the hell can Marvel put out that Captain Marvel solicit with a straight face?

Why the fuck is this character even alive post-CWII? This is Tony after CWI all over again. They're gonna have her get mind-wiped so she's less abhorrent.

kmfdmpig

Reading Gwenpool? It's surprisingly really good.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Batgirl by Bryan Q. Miller seems like a perfect choice if you haven't read it already

I actually own this, but haven't read it yet. I'd been working through the Cain Batgirl and was planning to read this soon. I'm sure I'll like it.

Squirrel Girl might possibly be too funny, but that and Howard The Duck are masterpieces.

Thanks, I'll give them a shot.

-Doctor Strange often employs a dry, dark humor that I love. Some issues are grim so it is a mixed bag for humor.
-Sounds like Great Lakes Avengers might be worth trying. I haven't gotten to it yet my daughter RAVED about it.
-Gwenpool Gwenpool Gwenpool
-Mockingbird, though it is on its last legs
-Believe it or not, New Avengers is often funny and tonally similar to New Super-Man
-Power Man and Iron Fist
-Silver Surfer
-The tie-in issues of Spider-Man have been an emotional rollercoaster but in general the book can be very funny
-Spider-Woman
-I'm sure you already have an opinion on Squirrel Girl

Lots of suggestions here. Thanks! I picked up PM + IF recently, but haven't read it yet. I'll try some of these.

Thanks everyone.

Owzers

There just aren't enough comics that i want to buy monthly. Digital needs a pre-order discount and i'd give up on the flop. None of the new Marvel or DC books, none of the new Image #1s in the november solicits because i'm not a big Soule fan to get me to buy into Curse Words. I equate Soule with random Marvel books right now.

The Long Death was really good, even if he was on it. It was a fitting end to both of those arcs, I think.

I have HiH vol 2 loaded up on my tablet and ready to go for my lunch break in about 30 minutes

Haha. Him. I love it, I can imagine you speaking of him in hushed tones during dark rituals to the darkness behind the stars - this being in your library, which is apparently a fully stocked comic store. I do agree though, less is more, and it's better to leave it with the ambiguous ending. I really do find that whole end sequence gut wrenching though, and Harren destroys it.

Well, damn. I'll see you on the other side brother. I fully expect a post teasing the shit out of me, maybe a lengthy veiled discussion with Tyrant & Birdie where I try and grasp at the straws of what I'm reading. I was really hoping it would arrive today but no dice. I'm not sure my postie even bothered coming out today, the rain was that bad.

Top Bottom