• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

I mainly want an actually good Avengers book, with a decent cast, mainly made up of core members. I also want less or no line-wide events, and characters who have no business getting books to stop getting them and then Marvel going "oh well we tried" when it gets cancelled 8-12 issues later. The Mercs for Money books and anything with a Squadron Supreme character are high on this list. It would also be nice if they stopped using "wrote an episode of Agents of SHIELD" or some other US show as a selling point for anything, ever.

Would this be a sales success? IDFK, "that's not my job". But a focus on the core characters, and expanding the line through other books and imprints, seems to be doing okay for the Distinguished Competition.

Most of these new teen characters are probably going to end up in Avengers Arena II or an equivalent at some stage anyway once Marvel has decided the whole thing has failed.

What do people actually want from Marvel? Everyone seems to know what they are doing wrong but I haven't seen anyone mention any solutions.

Feel free to keep the...its not my job to come up with a solution posts.

Less tie-ins/cross overs and less formulaic cycling. I think they were doing great with ANAD and it only lost steam with me when it got closer to Civil War.

Like... Coming soon America and Kate have ongoings. These are things people begged for. I will be stunned if either makes it to 12 issues. People are all about the idea of a book but never follow through.

DC's big idea was to reset everything back to the way it was before and have a bunch of super safe books. Great books, but safe books. Marvel would not get away with this. I don't think.

I wouldn't really say DC reset everything and went to the way it was. They set forward on an initiative and a promise to get DC back to where people wanted it and they did it by putting great stories through. DC could still end up shooting itself in the foot with how Monster Men seems to have come off and if that's their plan with a lot of their cross-overs.

Messi

I mainly want an actually good Avengers book, with a decent cast, mainly made up of core members. I also want less or no line-wide events, and characters who have no business getting books to stop getting them and then Marvel going "oh well we tried" when it gets cancelled 8-12 issues later. The Mercs for Money books and anything with a Squadron Supreme character are high on this list. It would also be nice if they stopped using "wrote an episode of Agents of SHIELD" or some other US show as a selling point for anything, ever.

Would this be a sales success? IDFK, "that's not my job". But a focus on the core characters, and expanding the line through other books and imprints, seems to be doing okay for the Distinguished Competition.

Most of these new teen characters are probably going to end up in Avengers Arena II or an equivalent at some stage anyway once Marvel has decided the whole thing has failed.

But why would marvel stop event books when that shit still sells huge.

Aren't Marvel doing a core Avengers book?

I recall really enjoying it, though it's been a good while since I read it at this point. Just remember it being really fun to see Mignola just go nuts because there was no worries about it needing to fit in with anything.

Nice man, I definitely need to check it out one of these days.

Also...Lol. Microsoft just sent me another set.of gear 1-3 and j codes. They must of heard i finally got rid of the last set.

What do people actually want from Marvel? Everyone seems to know what they are doing wrong but I haven't seen anyone mention any solutions.

Marvel needs strong A-list featured books to support the universe. Right now they're betting a lot on C-listers to Steer the ship.

It's not just the fact that they're event books. It's that they are recycled and planned out at such a repetitive rate. Civil War felt like it mostly came out of nowhere. Leading up to it I thought it was going to come about from all the fallout of Standoff, but no it had nothing to do with anything and ruins big character all for the sake of an event book with a recycled name.

It's just shit. It's going for the lowest possible effort in an idea and hoping putting a lot of effort and work behind it will make it work. It sells but it sucks.

Aren't Marvel doing a core Avengers book?

I literally said in my post I didn't know if it would be a sales success. I am not a marketing executive, and none of us are even working with complete numbers because we know dick about digital. Anything we do know is just guesswork because we have no numbers and no SteamSpy equivalent for CMX exists.

RepairmanJack brings up a good point. When this event cycle started in 2004, there was one event per year, and generally one or a few books coming out of it. Like Avengers Disassembled lead to the first New Avengers series. Now Marvel is already promoting Monsters Unleashed, the Inhuman/X-Men trilogy and A House Divided before Civil War II has even finished, and they're launching close to 60 books in a matter of months, every year. And it's been cripplingly delayed! This would not stand in any other medium.

Messi

I literally said in my post I didn't know if it would be a sales success. I am not a marketing executive, and none of us are even working with complete numbers because we know dick about digital. Anything we do know is just guesswork because we have no numbers and no SteamSpy equivalent for CMX exists.

Fair enough. Not much point in the conversation then lol.

ElNarez

Banned
ALL-NEW X-MEN #17

Dennis Hopeless (W), Mark Bagley (A/C)

* Inhumans vs. X-Men tie-in!

* The X-Men have waged war on the Inhumans!

* But caught in the crossfire are Iceman and his new crush, Romeo...who unfortunately happens to be an Inhuman.

* In the end, will Iceman stand with his species...or with his first love?

32 pages, $3.99.

i'm gonna fucking barf, holy fuck, that's the story you wanna tell? That's how you're gonna go and eat Rebirth's lunch? With this shit?

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, all these main books by DC have to be strong so others below them have a greater chance at staying afloat. These books are your introduction to the DC universe and if they weren't good then no one is gonna care about the other books. Marvel is severely lacking when it comes to that.

frye

MQopZp1.gif

i'm gonna fucking barf, holy fuck, that's the story you wanna tell? That's how you're gonna go and eat Rebirth's lunch? With this shit?

ahahahahahaha

Like... Coming soon America and Kate have ongoings. These are things people begged for. I will be stunned if either makes it to 12 issues. People are all about the idea of a book but never follow through.

DC's big idea was to reset everything back to the way it was before and have a bunch of super safe books. Great books, but safe books. Marvel would not get away with this. I don't think.

Yeah, that's not really what people like out of Marvel.

I think more than DC, Marvel lives and dies by its creators. Hickman's Avengers. Morrison's X-Men. Aaron's Thor. They need those kinds of creators again.

If they were really smart they'd make big plays to get Remender and Hickman back. Remender taking his rightful place on X-Men would be the biggest story of 2017.

Less tie-ins and forced company wide status quo's.

I wouldn't even complain that much if CWII didn't stick it's nose into good books and ruin them too (Ms. Marvel, PM&IF etc).

Carol is legitimately an awful character and Marvel pushing her is just such a dumb thing. Having her face in every damn Marvel book putting out the same spiel over and over again is so tiring.

I said this about PM & IF too a couple of issues back. Some of the stuff seems so tone deaf as well, especially with how they execute it. It seems they know some of the stuff is borderline problematic so they just work around it and hope no one minds. If Carol didn't have Ororo and a few other black characters alongside her when she showed up to arrest Luke, that shit would have looked super bad. I still think it's bad but it shows the the entire event was a terribly thought out idea, the motivations were idiotic and Marvel seems to be putting their effort behind the wrong damn character.

So shit event that just infests every other book, some that are great and ruins those characters too.

And yes, I'm super salty that they turned Ms. Marvel into such an idiot. As a fellow Pakistani, I'm dissociating the shit out of her, Marvel can have her back. She's a moron.

I wouldn't even complain that much if CWII didn't stick it's nose into good books and ruin them too (Ms. Marvel, PM&IF etc).

Carol is legitimately an awful character and Marvel pushing her is just such a dumb thing. Having her face in every damn Marvel book putting out the same spiel over and over again is so tiring.

I said this about PM & IF too a couple of issues back. Some of the stuff seems so tone deaf as well, especially with how they execute it. It seems they know some of the stuff is borderline problematic so they just work around it and hope no one minds. If Carol didn't have Ororo and a few other black characters alongside her when she showed up to arrest Luke, that shit would have looked super bad. I still think it's bad but it shows the the entire event was a terribly thought out idea, the motivations were idiotic and Marvel seems to be putting their effort behind the wrong damn character.

So shit event that just infests every other book, some that are great and ruins those characters too.

And yes, I'm super salty that they turned Ms. Marvel into such an idiot. As a fellow Pakistani, I'm dissociating the shit out of her, Marvel can have her back. She's a moron.

The worst part about all the tie-ins is that it basically comes down to the entire event being stupid. Nobody can make an actual damn argument for Carol being a monster. She just is and every tie-in basically just ends up being a shoulder shrug because what the fuck else are they going to do?

There's a little girl cosmic cube running around, a Hydra Captain America, just had shield get all kinds of shit for hiding villains, Red Skull running around with Xavier's brain and the best they could come up with is Carol deciding to imprison every friend she's had by force because some brand new inhuman says so?

The tie-ins make it all worse because they can't do anything but continue to show how dumb the entire event is and it screws the books over because they have no real choice but to do it because it boosts their numbers.

TheFlow

Banned
I have a "Magneto Was Right" shirt. I wonder if that makes me a fascist.

mag was also right in his own way.

yea the end of #8 and #9 was PM&IF at its worse. I am so tired of heroes fighting heroes when there are so many great villains.

Red skull/Hydra Cap/ cosmic cube girl could of made one hell of an event.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Image solicits are boring. I was hoping that Ales Kot/ André Lima Araújo thing would be revealed, or something from Kot at least.

Trade for house of penance is looking good, tomasi shared it on teittrr
I'll definitely be getting that.

Also it interestingly mentions rumblings of a Hellboy tv show? I don't think I've seen that anywhere, I'd love to know the source on that.

http://www.creativebloq.com/news/closing-the-door-on-hell-artists-pay-tribute-to-hellboy?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CreativeBloq+%28Creative+Bloq%29
Frankly, that looks like the same rumblings that were present right after Hellboy II came out. There was vague talk of moving to TV in some way while Hellboy III was backburnered. There's nothing going on.

The worst part about all the tie-ins is that it basically comes down to the entire event being stupid. Nobody can make an actual damn argument for Carol being a monster. She just is and every tie-in basically just ends up being a shoulder shrug because what the fuck else are they going to do?

There's a little girl cosmic cube running around, a Hydra Captain America, just had shield get all kinds of shit for hiding villains, Red Skull running around with Xavier's brain and the best they could come up with is Carol deciding to imprison every friend she's had by force because some brand new inhuman says so?

The tie-ins make it all worse because they can't do anything but continue to show how dumb the entire event is and it screws the books over because they have no real choice but to do it because it boosts their numbers.

The worst thing about the tie ins is that instead interesting philosophy they're just All New All Different Ulysses Predictions.

So fucking stupid.

TheFlow

Banned
Image solicits are boring. I was hoping that Ales Kot/ André Lima Araújo thing would be revealed, or something from Kot at least.

I'll definitely be getting that.

Frankly, that looks like the same rumblings that were present right after Hellboy II came out. There was vague talk of moving to TV in some way while Hellboy III was backburnered. There's nothing going on.

bruh a B.R.P.D show would be perfect. They hardly have to show Hellboy to even make it work.

Hell even if they still want to go with the Ulysses future stuff they could have somehow had Cosmic Cube girl making these things a reality and just fucking with the heroes the whole time.

Sandfox

I don't really think anyone expects that book to do anything to rebirth lol.
Yeah, that's not really what people like out of Marvel.

I think more than DC, Marvel lives and dies by its creators. Hickman's Avengers. Morrison's X-Men. Aaron's Thor. They need those kinds of creators again.

If they were really smart they'd make big plays to get Remender and Hickman back. Remender taking his rightful place on X-Men would be the biggest story of 2017.
Remender can stay gone. I'd rather see Marvel go after newer names.

I haven't seen many people complain about the direction Ms. Marvel is going.

I didn't enjoy Secret Invasion but I really liked the Dark Reign setup. Dark Avengers in particular was pretty cool for me. Then it ended in a kind of a lame way with Siege.

Sandfox

RepairmanJack brings up a good point. When this event cycle started in 2004, there was one event per year, and generally one or a few books coming out of it. Like Avengers Disassembled lead to the first New Avengers series. Now Marvel is already promoting Monsters Unleashed, the Inhuman/X-Men trilogy and A House Divided before Civil War II has even finished, and they're launching close to 60 books in a matter of months, every year. And it's been cripplingly delayed! This would not stand in any other medium.
The problem here is that Marvel has to start promoting those books because now is the time for retailers to order them. Also, the House divided thing hasn't been announced yet lol. I do think Marvel is releasing too many books though.

I haven't seen many people complain about the direction Ms. Marvel is going.

I'm gonna complain =P

A Pakistani immigrant that blindly followed Carol (like, what the fuck), fucked up doing so but you know the comic won't touch on any of the stuff that requires depth and will just sort of gloss over it.

It goes against the origin they've been portraying and there's been no justification for the character going against what would be the expected norm (like... being anti-"predictive" justice in current America as a Muslim minority?) other then her being a Carol fan girl, which seems like poor and incredibly simplistic reasoning.

Sandfox

I'm gonna complain =P

A Pakistani immigrant that blindly followed Carol (like, what the fuck), fucked up doing so but you know the comic won't touch on any of the stuff that requires depth and will just sort of gloss over it.

It goes against the origin they've been portraying and there's been no justification for the character going against what would be the expected norm (like... being anti-"predictive" justice in current America as a Muslim minority?) other then her being a Carol fan girl, which seems like poor and incredibly simplistic reasoning.
I think it's more that she believed and looked up to Carol than her being a fan girl. Carol fed into that by giving Kamala power and trust which made her momentarily waver. This and what's coming next kinda gives me Peter Parker vibes. I understand why you wouldn't like it though.

bruh a B.R.P.D show would be perfect. They hardly have to show Hellboy to even make it work.

Yea okay ,I was confused by the mention, I never even heard about the tv thing back then and definitely nothing lately. I think I might agree with flow though. BPRD might convert quite nicely to TV, since there's a lot more of a team dynamic/relationships focus, that might work okay episode to episode. Honestly though, I find it hard to imagine a good tv or movie adaptation of the mignola mythos simply because of the sheer size and weight of it all, and of course the effects that would be requires. It's nice to imagine though. I actually thought the animated movies were along the right lines, I could see it more with those, even though they have the kid friendly element to them.

What's Night of the Monster Men been like? I'm a few weeks behind and was wondering if it's worth buying the Detective Comics and Batman issues I missed or skipping ahead tomorrow.

Top Bottom