• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

With Brubaker being one of the writers for Westworld and Epting drawing Batwoman I don't expect to see the next volume of Velvet for quite a while.

I do wonder what impact westworld had. I agree it'll probably be awhile although imagine he's done with his westworld season 1 by a decent amount of time now. Didn't seem to put back his other books either. I think you have a point too though. He has some other tv stuff going on that he's hinted before is velvet related.

His newsletter is great for keeping up with him btw!

Vic_Viper

my bad, didnt notice which thread I was in lol.

do we know the release date yet for the DAREDEVIL BY ED BRUBAKER & MICHAEL LARK OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC (NEW PRINTING)

Let me preface this by saying, generally speaking, I am happy with what Marvel is doing with many of their characters. That said, here are my wishes for the Marvel genie.

Civil War II has been a disaster. Far too many tie-ins for an idea that was too simple and frankly lazy. It wasn't that long ago that literally every single 616 book got sucked into Secret Wars for months, and many of those tie-ins were mediocre or bad. Less than a year later, once again, almost all their books get sucked into yet another huge event, and, worse, the event isn't good enough to support the massive number of tie-ins.

I like events. I have read every Marvel event since Disassembled. The tie-ins have gotten out of hand. My understanding is tie-ins are voluntary in many cases. Why put that choice before a creative team? Struggling titles are going to get on board regardless of whether or not they have a solid, original idea for the tie-in or not. And most if not all of those books will not get enough of a sales bump to survive much longer anyway. Editorial mandates are needed to preserve the integrity of these titles and to prevent the absurd glut of tie-ins we see on shelves now. So that's one.

Furthermore, events have been coming too quickly. We are about to watch some books in the Spider family move directly from CWII to Clone Conspiracy without taking a breath. I'm not familiar with the list of Death of X tie-ins, but I suspect there won't be much of a break for some of these titles between DoX, Ivx, and whatever Resurrexion is. That's just insane. That is not the way to restore the X-books to greatness. That is mangling a corpse with a weedwacker. So my second wish would be, if a book must do tie-ins, let's keep it to one per book per year at the most.

Three. Core books in their major families are frequently not central enough to the shared universe, and while some are enjoyable enough, they just aren't as good as they should be for the pillars of the universe. In particular, the X-Men family of books is in terrible shape. These books need bold creative choices and teams. I appreciate the risks Marvel is taking with many of their characters...yes, even Foolkiller. But their conservative strategy with, for the most part, mid-tier talent on their big team books is a drastic and unflattering contrast to the days when Hickman was on Avengers, or when Remender and Aaron were writing X-books. For my third and final wish, I want to see them taking some chances on those books. The talent doesn't need to be an all-star cast, but those books need all-star concepts and approaches. And when a creative team really clicks with a book, make more of an effort to keep them at the House of Ideas.

That's my two cents for the "what would you have them do" question.

Malyse

I like the fall out of CW2. Like, I like how ruinous it's been for Sam, Miles, and Kamala, how it's fucking with Luke and Sam, stuff like that.

Sandfox

Let me preface this by saying, generally speaking, I am happy with what Marvel is doing with many of their characters. That said, here are my wishes for the Marvel genie.

Civil War II has been a disaster. Far too many tie-ins for an idea that was too simple and frankly lazy. It wasn't that long ago that literally every single 616 book got sucked into Secret Wars for months, and many of those tie-ins were mediocre or bad. Less than a year later, once again, almost all their books get sucked into yet another huge event, and, worse, the event isn't good enough to support the massive number of tie-ins.

I like events. I have read every Marvel event since Disassembled. The tie-ins have gotten out of hand. My understanding is tie-ins are voluntary in many cases. Why put that choice before a creative team? Struggling titles are going to get on board regardless of whether or not they have a solid, original idea for the tie-in or not. And most if not all of those books will not get enough of a sales bump to survive much longer anyway. Editorial mandates are needed to preserve the integrity of these titles and to prevent the absurd glut of tie-ins we see on shelves now. So that's one.

Furthermore, events have been coming too quickly. We are about to watch some books in the Spider family move directly from CWII to Clone Conspiracy without taking a breath. I'm not familiar with the list of Death of X tie-ins, but I suspect there won't be much of a break for some of these titles between DoX, Ivx, and whatever Resurrexion is. That's just insane. That is not the way to restore the X-books to greatness. That is mangling a corpse with a weedwacker. So my second wish would be, if a book must do tie-ins, let's keep it to one per book per year at the most.

Three. Core books in their major families are frequently not central enough to the shared universe, and while some are enjoyable enough, they just aren't as good as they should be for the pillars of the universe. In particular, the X-Men family of books is in terrible shape. These books need bold creative choices and teams. I appreciate the risks Marvel is taking with many of their characters...yes, even Foolkiller. But their conservative strategy with, for the most part, mid-tier talent on their big team books is a drastic and unflattering contrast to the days when Hickman was on Avengers, or when Remender and Aaron were writing X-books. For my third and final wish, I want to see them taking some chances on those books. The talent doesn't need to be an all-star cast, but those books need all-star concepts and approaches. And when a creative team really clicks with a book, make more of an effort to keep them at the House of Ideas.

That's my two cents for the "what would you have them do" question.

While I agree with your opinion in CW2:
-The books tying into Clone Conspiracy actually didn't tie into CW2. In fact, the reason given for Miles' book not tying in is that his book had to deal with CW2.
- ResurrXion is looking like Regenesis to me rather than an event and I would argue that's something the X books need.

Sou Da

All I know I know is that I really hope to not see the reaction end up causing Marvel to dump all the legacy characters and then sales still don't tick up, and then they're stuck with a white boy club again.

Messi

The-Clone-Conspiracy-Event-Checklist.jpg

Let's be fair here. Clone Conspiracy is only tying into ASM, Prowler and Silk.

tim1138

Comics is like sports y'all, right now Marvel is in the rebuild phase that DC was in up until Rebirth. They've got a core of new talent, they just need the patience to let them do their thing and establish themselves.

ElNarez

Banned
This solicitation is so bad

I don't know which part I hate the most.

The fact it's an Inhumans vs. X-Men tie-in, the fact that THIS is gonna be the first story in which Iceman is gonna show attraction towards a man, the fact that they picked ROMEO for this, the fact that Romeo & Juliet riffs are still being done in tyool 2016.

It's the fucking Tom King comic of bad solicits, every time I look at it I notice something new, a nuance I didn't see before, and that changes my understanding of how much I hate it.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Splurged on comics theory:

Understanding Comics; Making Comics- McCloud
The System of Comics; Comics and Narration- Groensteen
Teaching The Graphic Novel- Tabachnick
The French Comics Theory Reader- Miller
The Comics Studies Reader- Heer
The Graphic Novel: An Introduction- Baetens

And one graphic novel:

Jimmy Corrigan- Ware

PsychBat!

Banned
I think they were better than Flashpoint's overall but equally forgettable.

Sure (for the most part I agree with your evaluation), I mean, 98% of them didn't tie in to the main plot directly but they were fun well made stories. Not all of them (looking at you Ultimate End and Armor Wars) but I think it is very disingenuous to say most of them were mediocre or outright bad.

Sandfox

The fact it's an Inhumans vs. X-Men tie-in, the fact that THIS is gonna be the first story in which Iceman is gonna show attraction towards a man, the fact that they picked ROMEO for this, the fact that Romeo & Juliet riffs are still being done in tyool 2016.

It's the fucking Tom King comic of bad solicits, every time I look at it I notice something new, a nuance I didn't see before, and that changes my understanding of how much I hate it.

Technically this isn't the first story, but a continuation of it lol.

It's the fucking Tom King comic of bad solicits, every time I look at it I notice something new, a nuance I didn't see before, and that changes my understanding of how much I hate it

Lol

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Comics is like sports y'all, right now Marvel is in the rebuild phase that DC was in up until Rebirth. They've got a core of new talent, they just need the patience to let them do their thing and establish themselves.

And just like sports teams, Marvel is known for patience, right?

ElNarez

Banned
With Brubaker being one of the writers for Westworld and Epting drawing Batwoman I don't expect to see the next volume of Velvet for quite a while.

Hickman wrote for Da Vinci's Demons while doing his Marvel work, Manhattan Projects and East of West. The real obstacle's gonna be Epting on Batwoman.

Hey if I was a single issue reader this is a pretty good week! Some exciting stuff. I'd be buying a ton.

Sat and watched the conjuring this evening, trying to channel the Halloween spirit. I like it. That's only the second time i've watched it since getting the bluray a few years back but I do like the movie a lot. I couldn't tell you any of the characters names nor would I claim the plot to be very original or surprising. I guess it's just a really well executed work in atmosphere, pacing, great cinematography. The plot being fairly cliche isn't really a bad thing when you're in the mood, it pretty has all the hallmarks of an American horror story, specifically possession/exorcism stories, it just pushes the button.

Yea it's not a comic but there you go. I'd recommend it. It's not got the strong character conflicts of a King story nor the period enchantment of a Del Toro movie but it's just a good pure classic scary movie with no gore or handy cams.

TheFlow

Banned
Hey if I was a single issue reader this is a pretty good week! Some exciting stuff. I'd be buying a ton.

Sat and watched the conjuring this evening, trying to channel the Halloween spirit. I like it. That's only the second time i've watched it since getting the bluray a few years back but I do like the movie a lot. I couldn't tell you any of the characters names nor would I claim the plot to be very original or surprising. I guess it's just a really well executed work in atmosphere, pacing, great cinematography. The plot being fairly cliche isn't really a bad thing when you're in the mood, it pretty has all the hallmarks of an American horror story, specifically possession/exorcism stories, it just pushes the button.

Yea it's not a comic but there you go. I'd recommend it. It's not got the strong character conflicts of a King story nor the period enchantment of a Del Toro movie but it's just a good pure classic scary movie with no gore or handy cams.
watxhed conjuring 2 last week. couldn't fiinish it

TheFlow

Banned
As in it was creepy or as in it was pure shit? I haven't heard anything about it. I don't really keep up on movies til they get a home release. Also context, did you like the first?

both. the children were annoying, but the scares got me to turn it off. gf watched it and liked it though.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Dropping All-Star Batman. The Harvey/Wayne as kids bit was nice, and the final page was good, but the rest is stupid as hell.

Splurged on comics theory:

Understanding Comics; Making Comics- McCloud
The System of Comics; Comics and Narration- Groensteen
Teaching The Graphic Novel- Tabachnick
The French Comics Theory Reader- Miller
The Comics Studies Reader- Heer
The Graphic Novel: An Introduction- Baetens

And one graphic novel:

Jimmy Corrigan- Ware
You should check out Framed Ink

Wonderful book on composition. Its only half about comics but worth it

shingi70

Banned
How come Medusa isn't costumed like this all the time. She wears something similar a few times in inhuman and its much better than the onsey jump suit she wears most of the time.

IVX2016002_cov.jpg

This cover is everything

MGDINOD2015015.jpg

The art fucking sucks. And I'm pretty forgiving.

Yea, as a kid, I really liked JRJR's work on spider-man, he put in a lot of memorable stuff, but that teaser they put out for this book when it was announced...it didn't fill me with confidence haha. At least the nature of the book is it'll change drastically in tone and art with each arc, there's always the next one man.

Top Bottom