• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

TheFlow

Banned
I'll need to look into it. I don't even know if it's James Wan directing or anything. They did that Annabelle movie and I known that had a different director. If it's good though, I'll stick it on the Christmas list.

liked annabelle. when that
demon first popped up
I was screaming like a lil bitch.

Messi

Yea, as a kid, I really liked JRJR's work on spider-man, he put in a lot of memorable stuff, but that teaser they put out for this book when it was announced...it didn't fill me with confidence haha. At least the nature of the book is it'll change drastically in tone and art with each arc, there's always the next one man.

Yeah but Jock is next :/

I'm a big fan of The Black Mirror, so it's no issue for me. Big fan of that Bloom issue too actually, forgot about that for a moment.

Plus I'm gonna be honest, anything would be a step up for me from JRJR, and I've not even read the book yet lol

Good. Black Mirror was the shit. I hope it's better than this current arc. The road trip thing is cool but outside of the old batman tv series I'm not a big fan of this campy and colorful look they're throwing around. And the art is terrible too half the time.

Give me that gothic horror batman snyder/jock plz.

Hagi

MQopZp1.gif

This sums up everything wrong with Carol and how they have tried to push her. Sweet baby jesus I don't think I've read a worse solicit in my life. The Greatest? Yas Queen? Earth's mightiest and favourite hero? People have been joking about a Secret Invasion 2 but I think we have some solid evidence here that points in that direction. I find it hard to believe that after Civil War 2 this is how she ends up.

In happier news this cover is my everything

<3

Bucky and Natasha in 2017

<3

YES. I think I wrote it was cute earlier, it's so nice. It's going to make
the end of Bru's winter soldier run
all better. The way that all got abandoned after Bru & Latour's stuff while he went to the cosmos or w/e was annoying. Seems like they're getting things back on track here though.

I can't wait for this book! Only reservation on my end is JRJR's art, but plotwise, in Snyder I trust.

Yea, as a kid, I really liked JRJR's work on spider-man, he put in a lot of memorable stuff, but that teaser they put out for this book when it was announced...it didn't fill me with confidence haha. At least the nature of the book is it'll change drastically in tone and art with each arc, there's always the next one man.

I'd go in with reservations. To be honest, I think the art is a huge hit or miss. When it works, it's great but when it doesn't... it really doesn't. The action scenes in particular are the stuff that suffers the most from the art. They are just... not good.

Actual plotting wise, I like what's going on in the book. But the big problem is how the story is being told rather then the actual story itself.

Sandfox

This sums up everything wrong with Carol and how they have tried to push her. Sweet baby jesus I don't think I've read a worse solicit in my life. The Greatest? Yas Queen? Earth's mightiest and favourite hero? People have been joking about a Secret Invasion 2 but I think we have some solid evidence here that points in that direction. I find it hard to believe that after Civil War 2 this is how she ends up.

<3

Based on interviews with the writer it seems like she will in fact struggle after CW2, though this solicitation doesn't mention it.

Hagi

YES. I think I wrote it was cute earlier, it's so nice. It's going to make
the end of Bru's winter soldier run
all better. The way that all got abandoned after Bru & Latour's stuff while he went to the cosmos or w/e was annoying. Seems like they're getting things back on track here though.

Bucky has been in the shitter ever since Bru left. The Kot stuff wasn't very good and Thunderbolts isn't that decent even as a throwback to the nineties. He's one of my favourite characters along with Natasha so even if he's only in the book for two issues it should be great. Black Widow has been fantastic so far, Samnee is on a different level.

Based on interviews with the writer it seems like she will in fact struggle after CW2, though this solicitation doesn't mention it.

I'd hope so. I want to like her as a character but her books since taking the Captain Marvel mantle have mediocre at best.

Yeah, they definitely lost me at the Yas Queen.

God I hope Carol is a Skrull.

PsychBat!

Banned

yas queen was when I was definitely shaking my head

I'd go in with reservations. To be honest, I think the art is a huge hit or miss. When it works, it's great but when it doesn't... it really doesn't. The action scenes in particular are the stuff that suffers the most from the art. They are just... not good.

Actual plotting wise, I like what's going on in the book. But the big problem is how the story is being told rather then the actual story itself.

Hahah I don't really know what they were thinking. I mean, I guess I do, the sale figures have been fantastic, JRJR is still a name for a lot of people, but just fucking eh with him now. I don't know if he got worse though, or if his style has just totally went out or whatever. I'm not sure what I liked as a kid, I just know I did like him.

Bucky has been in the shitter ever since Bru left. The Kot stuff wasn't very good and Thunderbolts isn't that decent even as a throwback to the nineties. He's one of my favourite characters along with Natasha so even if he's only in the book for two issues it should be great. Black Widow has been fantastic so far, Samnee is on a different level.

So true man. Did you read the Latour volume? That's basically his depression afterwards, I really liked that arc. But yea, what the fuck, especially when he's such a star in the movies. Really excited for the book to hit trade, I think it'll be a real marvel highlight for me alongside Vision & Aaron's books. I hope he's in it for longer though, I'd like to hope Black Widow's book basically becomes his home as a support character until they want to do a formal duo book or give him his own or whatever. Thunderbolts is a no though.

Hagi

Yeah, they definitely lost me at the Yas Queen.

God I hope Carol is a Skrull.

yas queen was when I was definitely shaking my head

haha glad I'm not the only one. I thought we'd be getting something similar to what happened to Tony after the first Civil War when Fraction basically built him back from the ground up after being such a shit stain but no such luck. She'll be President of America before her next Captain Marvel relaunch.

Sandfox

haha glad I'm not the only one. I thought we'd be getting something similar to what happened to Tony after the first Civil War when Fraction basically built him back from the ground up after being such a shit stain but no such luck. She'll be President of America before her next Captain Marvel relaunch.
Wasn't Tony sitting pretty after CW? What they are doing is having the civilians love Carol while the heroes hate her.

<3

What "solid evidence"? What are you all talking about?

Hagi

So true man. Did you read the Latour volume? That's basically his depression afterwards, I really liked that arc. But yea, what the fuck, especially when he's such a star in the movies. Really excited for the book to hit trade, I think it'll be a real marvel highlight for me alongside Vision & Aaron's books. I hope he's in it for longer though, I'd like to hope Black Widow's book basically becomes his home as a support character until they want to do a formal duo book or give him his own or whatever. Thunderbolts is a no though.

I actually haven't read the last arc, I stopped when Brubaker left. I do have it though so if you say it's good I'll have to give it a read. Might be a good time to go through the whole run actually. It would be cool if he was in it for a bit longer but on the flip side I don't really mind because they are doing such a great job with Natasha I'm happy just going along with her. I think you'll enjoy it, the book is a visual treat.

What "solid evidence"? What are you all talking about?

Damn talking spoilers here but
sorry it was a joke

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
The Black Monday Murders #3: God-tier stuff here. And the Frontier tease was nice, too.

Caught up on last week's books before this week's drop. Feels good, man.

Owzers

The Black Monday Murders #3: God-tier stuff here. And the Frontier tease was nice, too.

Caught up on last week's books before this week's drop. Feels good, man.
I don't have time for Hickman, I have to get through all these civil war 2 tie-ins.

Remember, the in-universe sentiment is pre-crime is good and Hawkeye killing Banner was great. Both of those ideas are laid at Carol's feet.

The solicits seem to point to a Carol who is publicly loved, but privately and personally in shambles.

Also this relationship
between Miles and Spider-Gwen
teased in the solicits is odd.

Messi

Remember, the in-universe sentiment is pre-crime is good and Hawkeye killing Banner was great. Both of those ideas are laid at Carol's feet.

The solicits seem to point to a Carol who is publicly loved, but privately and personally in shambles.

Also this relationship
between Miles and Spider-Gwen
teased in the solicits is odd.

You hating on my boy Miles??

Zombine

Banned
I keep getting this weird feeling that everything Marvel has done since ANAD is just setting up plot points for shows and movies.

The only stuff that doesn't feel that way are the X-Men books, and some things like Howard and Squirrel Girl.

mreddie

I keep getting this weird feeling that everything Marvel has done since ANAD is just setting up plot points for shows and movies.

Not a weird feeling, it is something they are thinking these plots will become. Joe Q admitted that back when CW2 was announced.

Zombine

Banned
Not a weird feeling, it is something they are thinking these plots will become. Joe Q admitted that back when CW2 was announced.

It's a shame, because it makes me feel like the well has run dry. There isn't a whole lot that excites me anymore.

Stories by committee, heavy editorial presence, it's really kinda lame.

mreddie

It's a shame, because it makes me feel like the well has run dry. There isn't a whole lot that excites me anymore.

Stories by committee, heavy editorial presence, it's really kinda lame.

Admittingly, what else do they have? Secret Wars 1? Secret Invasion? Siege? Assualt on Avengers Mansion?

Problem is while I can buy Monsters Unleashed. the recent events are...meh. And no one is gonna do Nova so Annihilation is out of the window.

Sandfox

Admittingly, what else do they have? Secret Wars 1? Secret Invasion? Siege? Assualt on Avengers Mansion?

Problem is while I can buy Monsters Unleashed. the recent events are...meh. And no one is gonna do Nova so Annihilation is out of the window.

Standoff would be cool.

TheFlow

Banned
I am looking forward to finally being able to discuss Thor, Sam wilson, and others on the day of release instead of months after.

I wonder if Doom will spoil much of CW2.

The things I enjoy most from Marvel are the self-contained books that don't tie into whatever event Marvel is pushing this quarter. It's not just about needing to read five books to keep up with an event. The Marvel Universe is constantly in peril. It's okay to have a big event once every year or two, but they've just been jumping from one to the next for some time now.

Ross61

On the low that Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #15 solicit kinda suspect too. Like it feel like their pandering to black people, it just doesn't feel genuine.

Zombine

Banned
The things I enjoy most from Marvel are the self-contained books that don't tie into whatever event Marvel is pushing this quarter. It's not just about needing to read five books to keep up with an event. The Marvel Universe is constantly in peril. It's okay to have a big event once every year or two, but they've just been jumping from one to the next for some time now.

I read and enjoy the self contained titles. The others are legit hard passes.

With the 4 villains they have in the MCU?

Yeah...it would be pretty damn hard to pull that off as written, though to be fair they don't stick too close to the books for any of the adapted stories. You'd really only need a couple super villains in a mix of normal criminals deemed too dangerous, really.

Top Bottom