• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Foofaraw

Fourth member:
ct3alptuaaactp4xvse5.jpg

Dat DPI, tho. Can someone tell me why all the digital books I get have such super trash jaggy line work?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Hey that's what I was doing all day yesterday!

This probably won't help you at all, but what really elevated my NPC game in this campaign was reading Harry Potter aloud to my daughter. There are about a million characters in those books, you have to be able to recall old voices and make new ones constantly. I try to make every named character sound a little different. It has greatly improved my ability to just whip out a character voice. I never used to be able to speak in character as a woman convincingly at all but I do it every session now.

Another thing that helps is having a team of players who are into it and speak in character when the character is talking. My last group was by and large pretty terrible at that which made it really hard to speak in character as a bunch of npcs. If your players are as green as you are, I'm willing to bet they don't do that very much. It takes some getting used to. If they don't do it at all, try to help them invent voices for their characters. Give out little xp rewards (or even just inspiration if you're playing 5e. I give out inspiration like candy) or maybe some sort of advantage in the next session to whoever put in the best performance.

Or maybe they aren't into the rp so much which is fine too, you gotta adapt for your group and what they want out of the game. If they aren't playing in character at all, I wouldn't worry too much about just describing what npcs do in third person. The challenge is when you have both types of player in one group, which happens almost always ;)

That's all really helpful advice, and I really appreciate it. That you.

I do think that a big part of it is that I haven't done it enough to get comfortable with it, and that makes me drop my accent quick and sort of rush through it. I haven't really gotten my players to get into role playing much either, but given out inspiration for it does sound like a great little Pavlovian training technique.

For my next go 'round, I'm going to try my best to work on slowing down a bit, and reading more from my prepared materials, to make sure that I hit the points that I want to hit.

I've got a whole thing with an NPC that's the son of the fearsome pirate Captain Bloodstorm that rejected his dad's lifestyle, changed his name to Mark Johnson and sails around the world helping people.

*More JLA information will be revealed on the “DC ALL ACCESS” panel at New York Comic Con on Thursday, October 6 from 1:45-2:45PM Eastern time.

Guessing we'll get team leader(Martian Manhunter? Booster Gold?) and Stargirl.

VERY excited about Reis being the JLA artist, but that team lineup is as MEH as can be.

The lineup is meaningless, imo. It's whatever the writer makes of it. They benefit to having smaller, lesser known characters is that the writer can flesh them out in their own way.

Hmm, I wonder what Rucka is planning...

Edit:
Whether it comes from outer space, from the watery depths of the seven seas
So maybe J'onn/a GL(Kyle after being done with the Lantern Corps arc?) and Mera?

These four will be joined by more team members! DC isn't done stocking the JLA roster. More heroic DC leaders, more of the characters you love, and maybe a few out-of-this-world surprises will follow these four to the pages of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA in February. Stay tuned!
Yeah, bigger team.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
If I've got PDF comics I've gotten from humble bundle, is there anyway to read them through comiXology?

No long-winded hellboy musings tonight. I did read volume 3 through this evening, The Chained Coffin and Others, and it's still a fantastic set of stories. It's late though, and I want to squeeze westworld in before bed tonight. I'm sure you will all live. Quote of the book?

"Look out, that's boiling human fat!"

These crossovers are tearing this reality apart

Star Trek/Green Lantern: Spectrum War spoilers:
It still baffles me that Starfleet didn't even attempt to get Hal and the other Lanterns home, but also allowed them to keep their rings and basically let them fly around and cause god knows what trouble. They literally had Nekron show up and resurrect Vulcan with an army of evil Vulcan Black Lanterns, and nobody was like, "Shit, we should keep an eye on these ringslingers!" Nope, just let them do whatever.

A year later, Hal probably shows up "Sorry guys, I started a war with the Klingons!"

Star Trek/Green Lantern: Spectrum War spoilers:
It still baffles me that Starfleet didn't even attempt to get Hal and the other Lanterns home, but also allowed them to keep their rings and basically let them fly around and cause god knows what trouble. They literally had Nekron show up and resurrect Vulcan with an army of evil Vulcan Black Lanterns, and nobody was like, "Shit, we should keep an eye on these ringslingers!" Nope, just let them do whatever.

A year later, Hal probably shows up "Sorry guys, I started a war with the Klingons!"
That sounds terrible

Did some reading today!

Snotgirl #3
Ox3ClFf.png
Your review for Snotgirl is not well thought out. A tissue box is pretty vague since Snottie has allergies in every issue. It doesn't relate to what exactly happened in issue 3. Like a good teacher I encourage you to redo this review.

Not a comic, but really enjoyed westworld, found it not only an entertaining piece of fiction but the rare thought provoking big budget tv show. It feel a little like watching Lost again where you're taking in the premise and concept for the first time and just enjoying it for whats being put to you and the characters, but you're also trying to grab onto the undertones and mysteries as they flit by, you just know so many little things will mean something later. Definitely engaged me not only on a "I wonder what the bigger plot is going to be here" level but also wondering what they're trying to actually say with the fiction.

The writing in general was really great, I liked the use of repetition both in the obvious manner but the subtler repeats of dialogue in different circumstances to different effects, the fly motif as it progressed through the episode. I think I may have to read up on my Shakespeare haha maybe some thematic stuff went slightly over my head there. Overall a very well constructed pilot, it bodes well for the series.

Maybe my only dislike was the very on the nose scene
where they bring up management's purpose for the park and heavily hint at that being a plot line. It's conceivable of course, but just seemed a little crammed in and unneeded in this episode

Owzers

I expected American Horror Story to be better, gave season six a shot with the first episode and it's fairly mediocre. I skipped last season after seeing the first three, the shows mostly been a dud.

I expected American Horror Story to be better, gave season six a shot with the first episode and it's fairly mediocre. I skipped last season after seeing the first three, the shows mostly been a dud.

It's different, I'll give them that. But AHS hasn't really grabbed me since season three.

Also, I hit level 90 in Overwatch today. OW still a mistake.

I don't disagree. Watched up through the freakshow season because my partner watched it bur even she dropped off after that. Show is almost a full on piece of shit, not at all what I consider to be well written, compelling or anywhere near horror.

However, I will say, if you haven't you could check out scream queens. By the glee guy also, but this one is intentionally tongue in cheek and is kind of hilarious for it. I think it's supposed to be the non serious sister to AHS legit horror but yea.

I don't disagree. Watched up through the freakshow season because my partner watched it bur even she dropped off after that. Show is almost a full on piece of shit, not at all what I consider to be well written, compelling or anywhere near horror.

Freakshow was dog shit. That season drove everyone away.

I only ever watched Coven, which I enjoyed mainly because of the theme and setting. I never really got into the other seasons I tried watching.

I only ever watched Coven, which I enjoyed mainly because of the theme and setting. I never really got into the other seasons I tried watching.

Haha wait, I will say, I totally blanked on that, but I did like that one bit where Stevie Nicks showed up for seven wonders.

Vixen is so played out at this point. I really wanted Bloodwynd and Maxima back but I am happy that we are getting 90s Ray again I love that characters look. I'd prefer Ice over Killer a Frost but I guess they want to continue this whole villains joining the Justice league concept that Geoff started.

PsychBat!

Banned
It's different, I'll give them that. But AHS hasn't really grabbed me since season three.

Also, I hit level 90 in Overwatch today. OW still a mistake.

However, I will say, if you haven't you could check out scream queens. By the glee guy also, but this one is intentionally tongue in cheek and is kind of hilarious for it. I think it's supposed to be the non serious sister to AHS legit horror but yea.

Freakshow was dog shit. That season drove everyone away.

Haha wait, I will say, I totally blanked on that, but I did like that one bit where Stevie Nicks showed up for seven wonders.

This Overwatch talk is off the rails.

Top Bottom