• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Boogiepop

In my mind, as long as Marvel's running a full X-line as they have been, realistically I'd want to see three team books as a minimum, one covering primarily the old classics (because there's a lot of them that people love, of course), one focused on a more quirky cast of picks (since there have been a LOT of X-men, and playing around and trying to revitalize some older characters that may not be super popular seems to work quite well when it's done properly), and one focused primarily on new characters/students/whatever (since in my mind that's always been the lifeblood of the series, IE focusing on new characters who are out of their element and thrust into this world, and then maybe throw in some older cast as teachers/mentors). I'm not familiar if the current books cover these topics (because people say all of them but Extraordinary and the Wolverine books are super crap), but I'm guessing that last one (which is probably what I'd most want to read) is definitely not happening because of the stupid Terrigen Mists plot.

But yeah, at least in my mind, solo spin-offs for X-men is probably the least interesting thing I can think of from that line conceptually, so I'm not exactly excited for those new books. I mean, X-men work best as a team concept, and there's already too many of them to fit in a few books without people going "why isn't character X on a team right now?!", so it just kind of feels like a waste. Of course they can still be good like pretty much anything else if they get decent teams (hell, I LOVE Old Man Logan right now), but just in terms of concept, I'm super unexcited.

Edit: Also, people were talking how some fire Inhuman was power overlap, but if you wanna talk power overlap, look at how goddamn many telepaths there are in the Marvel Universe. Largely because it's the dumbest freaking power in that it only really works with other psychics to battle with crazy imagery, since otherwise it's straight up insta-win or insta-lose (IE "oh no, they have a mental block that's stopping me!") otherwise. Hence why when I went through to look at the powers of the 200 mutants or whatever when that happened, I feel like 25% of them were psychics. Also there was a weirdly high number of werewolf characters. Like, 4-5 characters of the 200 had the mutant power of "is a wolf-man/woman", which feels like a weird thing to make so many of.

TheFlow

Banned
In my mind, as long as Marvel's running a full X-line as they have been, realistically I'd want to see three team books as a minimum, one covering primarily the old classics (because there's a lot of them that people love, of course), one focused on a more quirky cast of picks (since there have been a LOT of X-men, and playing around and trying to revitalize some older characters that may not be super popular seems to work quite well when it's done properly), and one focused primarily on new characters/students/whatever (since in my mind that's always been the lifeblood of the series, IE focusing on new characters who are out of their element and thrust into this world, and then maybe throw in some older cast as teachers/mentors). I'm not familiar if the current books cover these topics (because people say all of them but Extraordinary and the Wolverine books are super crap), but I'm guessing that last one (which is probably what I'd most want to read) is definitely not happening because of the stupid Terrigen Mists plot.

But yeah, at least in my mind, solo spin-offs for X-men is probably the least interesting thing I can think of from that line conceptually, so I'm not exactly excited for those new books. I mean, X-men work best as a team concept, and there's already too many of them to fit in a few books without people going "why isn't character X on a team right now?!", so it just kind of feels like a waste. Of course they can still be good like pretty much anything else if they get decent teams (hell, I LOVE Old Man Logan right now), but just in terms of concept, I'm super unexcited.
Pretty much 3 teams. Old, weird, and new.

The new mutants need to be on a team.

Sandfox

Just read through volume 2/the end of Hellboy earlier. Dead. Have a lot of thoughts, most of them are jumbled right now and I'll need to go back through it a few times but yea, literally the best thing ever. It's super uplifting and devastating at the same time.

REALLY glad I saw something a week or so ago mentioning that you should really read the magician and the snake before the end of HB. I wouldn't have been lost as such but I think I would have missed some of the emotional depth at the end.

Dude, I IMPLORE you to at least get and read this book. You can skip everything else from the New 52 era, but you have GOT to get this.

I'll take a note man, I don't really know anything about the writer, think that's why I passed over it. Is it nu52 or OG supes?

Charles Soule on Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men this week. Talks about Death of X and Death of Wolverine. Has some interesting stuff to say. No spoilers.
Steve makes a great villain, shame people aren't reading SamCap

#14 was great.
You know, I thought Old Man Rogers was a great way to go with the character. Really interesting direction and a great arc, so needless to say I was pretty bummed when they gave him his powers back.

But then Spencer made him Hydra, and it's fucking awesome.
Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-2-Teaser-Poster.jpg
Who will they do dirty this time?
Yup. Enjoy them too.

You're my hero if you somehow manage to enjoy Uncanny.

Sandfox

The grounded stuff doesn't really make much sense when every one and their mother could probably buy a spaceship in the Marvel universe. Who gives a shit if their ship got blown up just get a new one...

I love the film but if ever there was a property that has been mishandled since getting popular it's the Guardians.

From what I remember reading in an interview the reasoning is that nobody is willing to give or sell them a good enough ship.

Also, Bendis was on Guardians well before the movie.

Black Panther was pretty good today. The Crew was cool, but Tetu's section was the most interesting part to me.

But holy shit, SamCap was fuego! Shame on everyone for not reading this dual Cap run.

shingi70

Banned
From what I remember reading in an interview the reasoning is that nobody is willing to give or sell them a good enough ship.

Not even the oh so loved, captain marvel who's a member of the Ultimates, leader of alpha flight and also a member of the guardians of the galaxy.

Nrama: But how long has this been in the works? When you put the team in Avengers Assemble, was it always a prelude to you doing Guardians of the Galaxy as an ongoing series?

Bendis: Everyone knows they’re making a Guardians of the Galaxy movie now, but for a while, in secret, the creative committee has been helping out Marvel Studios. For the last year or two, we’ve been going over the characters, and talking about them, and thinking about “What kind of movie would it be?” With that conversation comes, “What kind of comics should they be?” We’ve seen the DnA comics, which were really great and pushed the characters forward in such a powerful direction, but what else can you do with them?

As we were doing our research and due diligence, I had read a lot of it, but I read it as a fan, and not with the eyes of a writer. Stumbling across Peter Quill’s origin, and really getting to know what makes the characters tick, I got very excited about them. We would talk about them, and I guess I was getting more and more excitable. When the time came, they said, “Along with making this movie, we want to put these characters back into the Marvel Universe and really give it our all.” I think [Marvel publisher Dan] Buckley asked me, “Would you do the comic if it was you and someone like Steve McNiven?” I was like, “Well, if you get Steve McNiven, I’ll do it!” It’s a very exciting project for us, because, jokes aside — it leaked out like a year ago — it is a surprising project for us. It is kind of wonderful how much Marvel’s letting us do with the characters, and looking at the Marvel Universe from a different angle. It’s a real high-quality book, and I’m pretty proud of it.

We talked about what hasn’t been done with the Guardians so far, and why, no mater how good the DnA book was, it always seemed like it was separate from the Marvel Universe in a way, even though there were chunks of it that were connected so strongly to Secret Invasion and stuff, it still feels like it’s out in its own little world, like someone else publishes it. It does seem to keep some readers away. We were like, “Why can’t we bring those characters closer to the center of the Marvel Universe?” and “What kind of sci-fi could we bring to Guardians?” There are so many different kinds of sci-fi.

It’s going to be a much more character-based book. I think these characters are amazing. They have a really unique place in the Marvel Universe, so we’re going to explore that, explore what their relationships are with each other. Our Point One issue is Peter’s origin that very few people know. Once you read it, you go, “This is as good as Spider-Man’s origin.” I told this origin at the Marvel retreat, in a room full of Marvel writers — nobody knew it. Even Dan Slott was like, “Really, where was this?”

N52, but it's all about Clark Kent before he became Superman. There's nothing about him that feels like, "yeah, this is the N52 version" or whatever.

Cool man. Originally what got me into DC after being a marvel kid was them having a lot of *timeless* stories out in trade, this looks like it'll make a good addition to the shelf. Superman is just a character I keep waiting for the right moment on.

VanWinkle

Cool man. Originally what got me into DC after being a marvel kid was them having a lot of *timeless* stories out in trade, this looks like it'll make a good addition to the shelf. Superman is just a character I keep waiting for the right moment on.

I know exactly what you mean by that, and this is 100% one of those types of books.

If you ever feel saucy, Superman Secret Identity, Superman For All Seasons, All-Star Superman, and Superman Birthright are those kinds of stories, too.

It's not actually about N52!Clark IIRC. It's an Elseworld.

New DC All Access.

Oh, that's interesting. Makes sense then, because it really feels like it could be any version of Clark.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
CMX downloads are totally doinked so I had to read BPRD on a FRIGGIN LAPTOP but

HOLY SHIT

Glad it's not just me. I couldn't get Hellcat or Backstagers to download.

Mighty Thor though!!!! Holy shit, it was great, and looked great.

Frazier Irving isn't the best at faces, but he's the best at a lot of other things.

+1 for American Alien. I thought it was fantastic as just a glance at some stories with a Superman. I got no real feel of a specific Superman for it. Just thought it was a great collection of good stories.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I just got all the ones I'd been having trouble with on my iPad to download on my phone. It's not ideal, but hopefully a good sign for when I get home.

Top Bottom