• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

VanWinkle

Hey now, this looks great! I had no idea they had got these artists in to work on the book, that's cool. Maybe I need to check that out, I have 0 superman trades haha, not even the Snyder book. My plan was to correct this with rebirth.

Dude, I IMPLORE you to at least get and read this book. You can skip everything else from the New 52 era, but you have GOT to get this.

I'm re-reading the whole thing now and it really is great. Issues 3 and 4 are my favorites.

It's making me want to dig for more great Superman stories other than some of the essentials that I've already read (All-Star, Birthright, Kingdom Come, Red Son, Seasons, Last Son). Probably gonna check out Secret Identity next.

Anyone have more Superman suggestions?

I would also check out Secret Identity (which you said you're going to; it's AMAZING) and Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? by Alan Moore. Haven't read that myself yet but I've heard great things. I also have heard that Geoff Johns Superman stuff has been good (specifically Secret Origin, but all of it really).

I hope it's about Young Jean. Love her very much. Old Jean is super boring.

I like both Jean's equally. Save your hate for NuHumans, ComicsGAF. All mutants are rad, some just get stuck with shit writers for a little while.

(Yes even Maggot and Stacy X and ALL OF THEM)

Cave Carson was dope. Young Animal is 3 for 3 so far for great opening issues. Lots of stuff to take in here and it ended on a solid cliffhanger. The backup by Tom Scioli was amazing too.

Love and Rockets Magazine started today too and I am so excited for that.

Malyse

It would be interesting if the public loved Carol but the entire superhero community hated her. That could be a fun dynamic.
I should be excited as an X-Men fan but it's probably the garbage young Jean Grey so who cares.

Are all of your opinions trash or just this one?

-----

The CW2 delays are really fucking things up. Again, it feels like another of the main books should have been out already to reveal info alluded to in this week.

Infamous Iron Man #1:

Pretty much all brooding and set-up. Really enjoyed the opening segment
with the flashback to the Cabal, with The Hood nerding out in front of Doom. "He's been banished to India. He'll find his way back."
The big reveal didn't have a huge effect on me, we'll have to see it in its' own book before we can judge it I think.

ElNarez

Banned
Hey DC? You only get ONE MORE "and then someone was plopped in a magic box to come back for a later event" ending. So, next one better be good.

I like virtually all of his solo stuff I've read (Alias, Spider-Woman, Daredevil etc.) but I think his team stuff is largely pretty bad and he just puts all his focus on his pet characters and writes everyone else out of character, the only team book I liked of his was Dark Avengers. His New Avengers run was all over the place in terms of quality, Guardians was him on autopilot and his X-Men run completely killed my interest in all the X-books. Haven't read all of Civil War II but it sounds like it's got all the classic Bendis trademarks of writing people out of character, plot holes and straight up ignoring continuity. I always thought it was insane giving him a line-wide crossover event again after all this other ones.

Just remember I haven't bought Jessica Jones #1 yet.

Nothing drives me more crazy in a Bendis Marvel book than to see a scene where a bunch of super powered people sit around a table and talk. They're not eating a meal or playing poker, they are just sitting around a table and laying out the themes of the book like it was an underfunded University Drama Club production of the Avengers.
It's the Bendis trope I hate the most, the most boring way to convey character and exposition.

Nothing drives me more crazy in a Bendis Marvel book than to see a scene where a bunch of super powered people sit around a table and talk. They're not eating a meal or playing poker, they are just sitting around a table and laying out the themes of the book like it was an underfunded University Drama Club production of the Avengers.
It's the Bendis trope I hate the most, the most boring way to convey character and exposition.
And then they start screaming and punching.

I do miss those big parties of like 30 people in his Avengers days

Death of X 02 (AKA The final character assassination of Scott Summers)

Both issues have been god awful. So far nothing that Cyclops has done as been consistant with his character or past actions. I think we can finally give up on the ideal that Marvel might ever treat Cyclops respect or at least give The character a good send off. Marvel is just going to paint Cyclops in a bad as light as possible to retroactively justify every other failed attempt to make him the bad guy.

I called this shit moths ago.

tim1138

Cave Carson was dope. Young Animal is 3 for 3 so far for great opening issues. Lots of stuff to take in here and it ended on a solid cliffhanger. The backup by Tom Scioli was amazing too.

Love and Rockets Magazine started today too and I am so excited for that.

I was pleasantly surprised by how connected Cave Carson felt to the rest of the DCU.

Jean Grey #1

I have a bad feeling...
NOOOOOOOOOOOO
Another damn X-Book.

Are X-fans the worst people on the planet or what?
I'm an X-fan. So no.
Tbf, Jean is boring in general
Yup
I find Young Jean to be one of the most interesting x-men right now. Certainly more interesting than the rest of the young versions.
Have you been readin Extraordinary? She's just as boring. I honestly wish it was Rachel Grey instead of her. Then again that book should have started with a much smaller team
growing up is realizing that Cyclops is actually Cool, and Good, and Right
This is one thing you and I will always agree on
lol yeah who wants a great bendis immonen story oh no wait everyone does
If only it didn't sputter out at the end
Death of X 02 (AKA The final character assassination of Scott Summers)

Both issues have been god awful. So far nothing that Cyclops has done as been consistant with his character or past actions. I think we can finally give up on the ideal that Marvel might ever treat Cyclops respect or at least give The character a good send off. Marvel is just going to paint Cyclops in a bad as light as possible to retroactively justify every other failed attempt to make him the bad guy.

I called this shit moths ago.
I don't think many would have argued with you

Messi

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm an X-fan. So no.

Yup

Have you been readin Extraordinary? She's just as boring. I honestly wish it was Rachel Grey instead of her. Then again that book should have started with a much smaller team

This is one thing you and I will always agree on

If only it didn't sputter out at the end

I don't think many would have argued with you

I read every X Book. I like her very much.

Owzers

Wonder Woman #3: decent

Wonder Woman #4: It's like going to a new ice cream store and ordering one scoop of vanilla in a cup.

Malyse

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-2-Teaser-Poster.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised by how connected Cave Carson felt to the rest of the DCU.

Same. I was really impressed with Oeming's art in this too. I've only seen some pictures of his art here and there but he really nailed it here. This was my least anticipated title of the imprint and I loved it still. Great premise and a good hook at the end, very excited to see what comes next.

I'm really happy with Young Animal so far.

Top Bottom