• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Jacket swap by Claire Roe:

9lkz1.jpg

And, see, here is a character that first popped up in the midst of a huge cast of new and forgotten characters, who hasn't even had a cameo in...five years? Almost five years? I could still write a paragraph about her.

Fucking nuhumans.

Nah, I wanna say she popped up more recently than that in some book or another, but only for a couple panels.

Mafro

Didn't realise Infamous Iron Man #1 was out today, thought that was still weeks away.

Feels dirty buying a Bendis comic.

Sandfox

Bendis is solid. His problems stem from the fact that he's often very formulaic. But then he's also capable of writing amazing shit like his Daredevil run and Scarlet. I'm also a huge fan of his X-Men stuff.

I will be 100% happy with Bendis' output after this final Guardians arc.

Bendis is solid. His problems stem from the fact that he's often very formulaic. But then he's also capable of writing amazing shit like his Daredevil run and Scarlet. I'm also a huge fan of his X-Men stuff.

I definitely think he works a lot better in a bubble than in the company event/tie in game. Definitely agree on Daredevil, amazing run. I also bought the scarlet HC drastically marked down because it had a "Mark" on the front, that turned out to be his signature haha.

Hagi

I think Guardians is the worst book Marvel is putting out, but all of his other books seem to going pretty well lol.

The grounded stuff doesn't really make much sense when every one and their mother could probably buy a spaceship in the Marvel universe. Who gives a shit if their ship got blown up just get a new one...

I love the film but if ever there was a property that has been mishandled since getting popular it's the Guardians.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Bendis is great with the bunch of characters he cares about. Would love to see another take from hin on Daredevil.
I just dont think that he is a teamplayer and doesnt care what to do with other characters when he has to play around with them.

Trying to catch up on last weeks Marvel books before this week:

Doctor Strange

I'm liking Strange without magic. I like seeing stuff like the magic apple, and the magic gum. It could feel cheap and he could just have an item for everything, it comes off as interesting because the items aren't really that powerful. I foresee Misery being used to face Mordo. Also, I really freaking like the idea of Misery just out there moseying around looking to torment people. It's creepy and cool.

Gwenpool

This was maybe the first meh issue. It was all meeting the benefactor and he was nothing special. I dunno, wasn't feeling this issue.

Jessica Jones

Really good start that has me curious where it goes but the ending stinger was kind of obvious? It definitely has me curious though.

Great Lakes Avengers

Well I'm in.

Batman #9 was indeed awesome. So many questions need answering.
How did Selina get 200+ counts of murder charged against her and get on death row? Who is the Legion character named Jane Doe who was also in the Rebirth special? Ok 2 questions but they are big.

Mafro

I like virtually all of his solo stuff I've read (Alias, Spider-Woman, Daredevil etc.) but I think his team stuff is largely pretty bad and he just puts all his focus on his pet characters and writes everyone else out of character, the only team book I liked of his was Dark Avengers. His New Avengers run was all over the place in terms of quality, Guardians was him on autopilot and his X-Men run completely killed my interest in all the X-books. Haven't read all of Civil War II but it sounds like it's got all the classic Bendis trademarks of writing people out of character, plot holes and straight up ignoring continuity. I always thought it was insane giving him a line-wide crossover event again after all this other ones.

Just remember I haven't bought Jessica Jones #1 yet.

TheFlow

Banned
I like virtually all of his solo stuff I've read (Alias, Spider-Woman, Daredevil etc.) but I think his team stuff is largely pretty bad and he just puts all his focus on his pet characters and writes everyone else out of character, the only team book I liked of his was Dark Avengers. His New Avengers run was all over the place in terms of quality, Guardians was him on autopilot and his X-Men run completely killed my interest in all the X-books. Haven't read all of Civil War II but it sounds like it's got all the classic Bendis trademarks of writing people out of character, plot holes and straight up ignoring continuity. I always thought it was insane giving him a line-wide crossover event again after all this other ones.

Jessica Jones #1 is legit. trust me fam.

I thought it(Jessica Jones) was really good. It reminded me of both Black Widow and Mockingbird in that the first issue had me asking all kinds of questions.

tim1138

Batman #9 was indeed awesome. So many questions need answering.
How did Selina get 200+ counts of murder charged against her and get on death row? Who is the Legion character named Jane Doe who was also in the Rebirth special? Ok 2 questions but they are big.

Re: your second question

The most common and likely theory is that it's Saturn Girl

Mindwipe

Bendis is great with the bunch of characters he cares about. Would love to see another take from hin on Daredevil.
I just dont think that he is a teamplayer and doesnt care what to do with other characters when he has to play around with them.

Bendis is a brilliant dialogue writer who is fantastic when he has a very strong editor to make sure he sticks to the fucking plot.

However, that is a rare situation for him nowadays, and it shows.

Mafro

Jessica Jones #1 is legit. trust me fam.
Just bought it. I'm way behind on my comics.

Doom Patrol #1
Nighthawk #5
Ultimates #11
Squadron Supreme #12
Black Panther #7
Infamous Iron Man #1
Jessica Jones #1

All to read today and I'm not working.

kmfdmpig

I'd be all about a Tom King penned Legion book, especially if he approached it the same way as the Omega Men. Lord knows they've gone back to the Levitz well enough times to know there's nothing left there anymore.

I agree. King would be good for Legion. Omega Men shows that he can blend political intrigue with character building. The only other DC writer I can think of who would be suited for Legion would be Tomasi (Based on his GLC run years ago).

tim1138

I agree. King would be good for Legion. Omega Men shows that he can blend political intrigue with character building. The only other DC writer I can think of who would be suited for Legion would be Tomasi (Based on his GLC run years ago).

I'd love to see a Jeff Parker/Doc Shaner take on the Legion, that would be a very fun book.

tim1138

Oh man Cave Carson was great. I would have never expected that
Wild Dog
of all people would be in this book.

The Tom Scioli Super Powers back up is amazing.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So there is yet another of this super spoilerish thread titles in the OT currently, even when I think thats a pointless cliffhanger anyway.

Just giving a PSA.

Malyse

So, if CW1 had Cap as in the right and then killed him and CW2 has Tony in the right and kills him, does that mean that CW3 will have Carol in the right and kill her?

And will CW3 kill Blue Marvel or Patriot?

ElNarez

Banned
One panel of Batman #9 did more to make me believe in the future of the DC line than any press release, interview or solicit. We're in The Good Stuff.

Haha well if you have it anyway man. I mean it's not Bru right but it's about what I would want, and more so, what I think they're capable of right now if they'd just put a team together and do the book.

Still pulling for a bucky/natasha spy couple book, the Americans does not fulfilled my all year round need for this kind of stuff.

I remember really liking this one man. I love Dash and Carol's destructive relationship and this is the one where
dash gets hooked right?
Fantastic unflinching stuff. I love
Red Crow too. Even for the things he does, he sees Brass for what he is, a truly disgusting cretin.
So good! I keep responding to these reviews late ha but keep em coming! It's fun to see the ride.

Yea, that's the one. That relationship stuff was fantastic.

I was bummed when we weren't hearing much about X-books, but none of these announced have grabbed my interest.

Is Clone Conspiracy really that batshit insane how the OT indicates?

Didn't read the thread but just looking at the title and guessing the talking points, I guess you could say it's that insane but it happens over a long period of time and just kind of coming to head.

Top Bottom