• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Why is Valiant announcing a 2018 event now?

Also, tomorrow's Marvel book announcement will probably be a big one to end the week.

That game looked like an enhanced version of MK8 given the new character and the ability to hold two items. Splatoon had had enough new stuff to make me think it might be a sequel.

To coincide with the movie would be my guess.

FYI, during Book of Death, they had teased that there had been 4 Harbinger Wars at the point where Fall of Harbinger takes place

But also, yes, this is probably hyping up the film that they've also been teasing a bit about.

I can't wait for CWII to end, it is a dark cloud hanging over the entire MU. Then things will be fiiine....but then there's DoX and CC still and then IvX and oh god it's never going to end is it

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Me too. But I think he'll be focusing on Thor and Doc for another few years.

I'm very ok with that. I've been thinking about it, and those are by far my favorite traditional sort of books from Marvel.

(As compared to my less traditional, more all-ages, friendlier/funnier sort of books like Squirrel Girl and Patsy Walker. The distinction may just be in my mind, but I feel like they're going for different things creatively, and I like both types for different reasons.)

I ended up reading some Ms Marvel and catching up with Detective Comics on the train instead. I'm going to give it some time tonight.

Haha good thing too. I just read through the first issue and I wouldn't want to read it on a train (especially a scotrail train). It's a really meaty read, feels like a warm fireside book, or for reading by lamp light. I'm going to withhold all my thoughts on the story stuff until you've read some, but DAMN the art is incredible. Crook immediately blows his BPRD and even his witchfinder stuff I really liked out the water. Especially his colour work, it really makes the art light up on the page, and there is just some really striking panels. I'm not sure what it is about watercoloured art but I love it.

Marvel have been so wise with putting Aaron on Thor and Strange, his stuff will do them well for when these new movies drop.

Sandfox

Is part of it IP rights?
I think Marvel might be loosening up a bit in that regard, but this probably has more to do with how X-fans have felt about the state of the brand during ANAD among other things.

The problems aren't stories or characters though (which is what they're overhauling), they need a giant shift in their creators and consistency.

Bendis and Waid are the only big name writers they have left (outside of Coates, who happens to be a massive X-Men fan, HELLO MARVEL) and Champions is a dud and Bendis just killed the Marvel Universe with a CWII that everybody hates.

You can't just shift down the ladder of creators and expect everything to only do 20% less if you can't get a 20% bigger name. People are just going to leave.

It's like, big creators are presidential nominees, and the other creators are down ticket. The big creators set the tone of the entire line and the entire universe. They make it a place a reader decides whether or not they want to invest their time and attention and their money in. And if those big names are a success at garnering interest (Johns being showrunner for DC Comics), you get pickups on downballot comics. But if the presidents are churning out unpopular stuff, no one has any interest in downticket comics, even if the nominees might have solid ideas (but shitty campaign posters).
I would say characters and stories are definitely complaints that have been going around lol. I'm expecting creative team changes as well though and it's not like Marvel puts new people on their biggest books lol.

I'd vote for Aaron in this analogy.
In terms of big/older names there's also Peter David, Gerry Conway, Joe Kelly and James Robinson if you want to ignore people like Bendis and probably Slott lol.

I would say characters and stories are definitely complaints that have been going around lol. I'm expecting creative team changes as well though and it's not like Marvel puts new people on their biggest books lol.

In terms of big/older names there's also Peter David, Gerry Conway, Joe Kelly and James Robinson if you want to ignore people like Bendis and probably Slott lol.

Characters and stories are driven by creators. No one would care if they focused on an Inhumans book written by Grant Morrison.

All those names you cited, BTW, are old(er) creators, not big name creators. It's not about new or old, it's about names that drive people to books sight unseen.

I mean, follow further down the path they did with Coates. Jonathan Lethem's Avengers. Chabon's Fantastic Four.

They kind of literally have no other options.

Boogiepop

Guys, is the new Batman Beyond any good at all? Like, it's something I want to be good (like, to the degree that I'd probably be happy with a perfectly average book), but I don't recall much discussion in here, so I'm hesitant to give it a shot. Also, I can't recall even though I asked before, but was the Tim Drake Beyond stuff any good at all? Never touched it because that very basic detail of switching out the main character turned me off of it. Oh, and is that stuff in continuity with what's going on now?

I can't wait for CWII to end, it is a dark cloud hanging over the entire MU. Then things will be fiiine....but then there's DoX and CC still and then IvX and oh god it's never going to end is it

You can say this about most Marvel events in recent memory. I legit enjoyed Time Runs Out more than any of the proper events that surrounded it.

Guys, is the new Batman Beyond any good at all? Like, it's something I want to be good (like, to the degree that I'd probably be happy with a perfectly average book), but I don't recall much discussion in here, so I'm hesitant to give it a shot. Also, I can't recall even though I asked before, but was the Tim Drake Beyond stuff any good at all? Never touched it because that very basic detail of switching out the main character turned me off of it. Oh, and is that stuff in continuity with what's going on now?

Ryan Sook drew the Rebirth issue which is like unprecedented and makes it an instant must buy.

MG310

IST order came in

The Fade Out hardcover
Power Man & Iron Fist vol. 1
Rocketeer Cargo of Doom
Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe

Forgot to order the Jill Thompson Wonder Woman book but I can get that next week since I think the Art of DC Bombshells book is out.

Also I just noticed that Beast seems to be nude on the Squirrel Girl cover.

Sandfox

Comixology is having a sale on Hickman's New Avengers and TWD.

Characters and stories are driven by creators. No one would care if they focused on an Inhumans book written by Grant Morrison.

All those names you cited, BTW, are old(er) creators, not big name creators. It's not about new or old, it's about names that drive people to books sight unseen.

I mean, follow further down the path they did with Coates. Jonathan Lethem's Avengers. Chabon's Fantastic Four.

They kind of literally have no other options.
I don't necessarily agree, but meh.

That's exactly my point. Events are garbage. You can get more mileage out of a good storyline then just branding a mediocre plot as an event.
I think events are cool, but need to be a lot smaller.

Owzers

Still say events are a continuity tax. You want to keep up, you pay, if it turns out well then that's a bonus. I am still not regretting skipping civil war 2.

PsychBat!

Banned
Do I hear Secret Wars bashing in here?

ADJGEES.gif

Still say events are a continuity tax. You want to keep up, you pay, if it turns out well then that's a bonus. I am still not regretting skipping civil war 2.

Shit is too predicatable now, too. Post Civil War II, Captain Marvel will be revealed to be a Skrull, leading into Secret Invasion 2: Veranke Does Vegas

I will fight you!

You won't catch me bashing Secret Wars. Fucking loved it. But it was the culmination and payoff of years of groundwork, and those are the exception, not the rule.

Can't think of anything like it in recent memory actually. Secret Invasion I guess. Oh and Siege so I suppose there are a few.

Sandfox

They can be, but are often not. Marvel is too attached to branding events one after the other instead of making it a special, occasional thing. It's really just the status quo nowadays.

These events are too lucrative for Marvel lol.

Shit is too predicatable now, too. Post Civil War II, Captain Marvel will be revealed to be a Skrull, leading into Secret Invasion 2: Veranke Does Vegas
I'm guessing the next event is going to be built about the Champions and the concept of heroes acting like heroes and stopping the infighting.

Just wait until the reveal that East of West is actually TWD in the distant future.

Hahha, every TWD fan should be happy if this was a possible outcome. Although, it would make the eventual tv adaptation awkward at the beginning of every episode: "Previously in the future, on the walking dead"

EDIT: X-men Gold & Blue haha

"These are the return to the quintessential X-Men team books. Rosters you’re going to love. The kinds of stories we all grew up on," said editor Mark Panicia. "You’re going to dig them and maybe even feel a little competition between the books, trying to outdo each other. If I do my job right, there will be readers who are Team Blue or Team Gold. Don’t get me wrong. You’ll enjoy both but you will have a home team."

Newsarama link

TheFlow

Banned
Hahha, every TWD fan should be happy if this was a possible outcome. Although, it would make the eventual tv adaptation awkward at the beginning of every episode: "Previously in the future, on the walking dead"

EDIT: X-men Gold & Blue haha

Newsarama link

GOD IS GOOD! YES LORD. The different teams competing with each other was awesome back in the day and this is what I wanted!

Sandfox

Interview for the new X-books: http://marvel.com/news/comics/26906/x-men_primary_colors

Extinction is no longer staring them in the face, so the X-Men can exhale and turn their attention back to doing what’s defined them since the beginning: Protecting a world that hates and fears them. These new titles won’t cast the X-Men as members of a species fighting for their survival but rather as big, bright, colorful super heroes who want to demonstrate to the world that they want to walk with them hand-in-hand into the future. They’ll have costumes with capes, a school, and softball games. Oh, there will be softball games. The goal is to tell exciting new X-Men stories while keeping an eye on the tropes and touchstones that longtime X-Men fans cherish.
I'm am so happy right now.

Top Bottom