• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

I would say society (social media) has become the biggest governing body when it comes to censorship. I don't think censorship is something that politicians have touched since Grand Theft Auto and Eminem. The problem with that though is not everyone gets represented.

We have always been at war with Marvelasia.

I will say the Moe anime type crowd did intersect with the comics community for a bit so that was interesting to see go down. I saw a lot of anime avatars interacting with people who were against the cover. lol

I know all of you like this Campbell cover:

iN8oyAj.jpg

That is legit horrifying. It looks like his neck's not connected to the rest of him. Like Jughead just got tired of his shit one day and tried to snap his neck.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I would say society (social media) has become the biggest governing body when it comes to censorship. I don't think censorship is something that politicians have touched since Grand Theft Auto and Eminem. The problem with that though is not everyone gets represented.

that's not how censorship works

I will say the Moe anime type crowd did intersect with the comics community for a bit so that was interesting to see go down. I saw a lot of anime avatars interacting with people who were against the cover. lol

of course lol

oh god, of course they did. lol

of course lol
I get giddy watching the mainstream be introduced to the really weird anime nerds. It's like a social experiment. I know these types of people too well and I know that will never be normal in the eyes of the public.
That is legit horrifying. It looks like his neck's not connected to the rest of him. Like Jughead just got tired of his shit one day and tried to snap his neck.

I've seen worse from other popular artist. It's not that exaggerated.

For soliciting and almost publishing the cover? Definitely.

Literally only a government can censor. Everything else is a business making a decision based on profit risk/reward. People just get pissed, royally pissed, when they're on the wrong side of that equation. Tough toenails, I guess?

Proof once again money and exposure corrupts. I just don't buy the internet majority that gets these things pulled as the definite voice of the people. 10 years ago, these people's voices would only have been heard through their local, state, or federal politicians. Now you can gather up a hive mind via social media and have much more influence than any politician. I don't deny the good this tool has done but I don't think anyone has stopped to think of the harm it is doing.

Social media isn't a governing body. It's a bunch of whiners who finally have an outlet for forcing their opinions on the rest of us.

I think Marvel will continue to get Campbell to do variants but this time they won't have him on teenage books. We'll see what happens when the America Chavez book gets close to release.

Proof once again money and exposure corrupts. I just don't buy the internet majority that gets these things pulled as the definite voice of the people. 10 years ago, these people's voices would only have been heard through their local, state, or federal politicians. Now you can gather up a hive mind via social media and have much more influence than any politician. I don't deny the good this tool has done but I don't think anyone has stopped to think of the harm it is doing.

I don't agree with all of this, but I think the next generation is going to look at us broadcasting our every random thought and ill-thought-out opinion to the entire world and wonder what in the fuck we were doing.

"Never put anything on the internet you wouldn't want on a 50 foot billboard outside your mother's house." has pretty much been my rule of thumb.

Owzers

Looking at the upcoming Marvel stuff, it's weird to think I want NONE of it.

There's still Gwenpool

But yeah, i'm not buying a single one of these new books so far. Hawkeye was the closest to a maybe, but i still need to finish Fraction's hawkeye series.

It fed a 100% business driven decision by a corporation actively and daily trying to expand their readership into female audiences.

It's the same damn reason Trump isn't going to be president. Blaming Twitter for an overwhelming sea change in our society seems super myopic.

Same. Sad!

It really bums me out as a lifelong Marvel fan, but I feel very similar these days. It's pretty much just Squirrel Girl and Black Widow each month now for me. I'll give Renew Your Vows a shot because I'm just desperate for a Spidey book again but I am just not into what they're putting out right now for the most part.

Stuff I've been reading:
Love and Rockets Monthly #1 - Great issue with some gorgeous art from Los Bros. I love this series.

Hellboy and The BPRD 1954 Black Sun #2 - Fun little story with some great action sequences. I mentioned it previously, but the art's just fantastic here too. There's one sequence where Hellboy gets hit with electricity and you see the skeleton and it just looks really great. It's fun to read stories with a young Hellboy too, especially compared to the more serious and moody ending to the main series.

Sandfox

Personally I've been enjoying the new stuff like Champions, GLA and Jessica Jones quite a bit. Marvel now doesn't have a lot of big names launching for obvious reasons though so I expect expect quite a few books to have short run.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I think the art is much improved over Oeming's work on Powers.

Haven't seen it. It's not bad in Cave, just a bit cartoony for my taste.

Stuff I've been reading:
Love and Rockets Monthly #1 - Great issue with some gorgeous art from Los Bros. I love this series.

I gotta find that book.

Hmm... is Marvel fucked just playing catch up? Ressurexion/ Rebirth? I will say Champions was good, but I'm not continuing it. I still need to check out JJ.

It fed a 100% business driven decision by a corporation actively and daily trying to expand their readership into female audiences.

It's the same damn reason Trump isn't going to be president. Blaming Twitter for an overwhelming sea change in our society seems super myopic.

Same. Sad!

Most POVs these days come off as myopic. There is no compromise. It's one extreme or the other. It's black and white. Plus or minus. Good or bad. Too much or too little. Most of the "truth" is found in the inbetween.

Hellboy and The BPRD 1954 Black Sun #2 - Fun little story with some great action sequences. I mentioned it previously, but the art's just fantastic here too. There's one sequence where Hellboy gets hit with electricity and you see the skeleton and it just looks really great. It's fun to read stories with a young Hellboy too, especially compared to the more serious and moody ending to the main series.

Don't sleep on Rise of the Black Flame.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Hadrian's Wall #2: Good book; nice art; interesting vibe.

Black Panther #7: Excellent when focused on politics, cultural memory/myth; garbage when it's a straight superhero book.

This sounds great. This is the Stephen Green book right? I agree with what your saying. It easy to see the 1950s stuff as just more Hellboy, but after in Hellboy, it'll be nice to just read some more "tales of", I love the HB volumes like the troll witch, crooked man etc.

Saw Churilla teasing art for his 1954 series on Twitter, cant wait for that.

Most POVs these days come off as myopic. There is no compromise. It's one extreme or the other. It's black and white. Plus or minus. Good or bad. Too much or too little. Most of the "truth" is found in the inbetween.

I feel like you're not addressing the argument, you're discussing the state of the argument.

Weird thing about the Cave Carson art is that the first page when you see those people in his eye it immediately made me think it was some representation of those older marionette shows like Thunderbirds. Something about the proportions.

Hagi

I'm only going to be adding Nova to my already diminished Marvel reading list, nothing else they have coming out soon or have announced interests me at all.

Owzers

Ghostbusters was pretty good with a few cringey moments that i wonder if they were in the theatrical version ( blu ray has extended), namely
fart joke, pringles joke, and the portal dive at the end. Dancing scene was a bit weird too.
Cameos were kinda goofy, i did like the special effects a lot. I was expecting worse but i don't think the plot is going to be something that i look positively on later too.

I gotta find that book.

Hmm... is Marvel fucked just playing catch up? Ressurexion/ Rebirth? I will say Champions was good, but I'm not continuing it. I still need to check out JJ.
It's great stuff, I think all fans of the series will enjoy it. I really liked that the physical copy has bigger proportions than a typical floppy. Jaime's art is just so damn good too!

re: Marvel stuff: I read through some of Champions and did not like it one bit. The writing and dialogue just felt off to me.The ending was kinda lame too.

I'm sure JJ is fine, but as I've said a bunch in the past, I was really disappointed and underwhelmed by Alias. I have no interest in this new series from the same team.
Don't sleep on Rise of the Black Flame.
I want to read that actually based off of all of the praise. I'm still playing catch up on BPRD so I'll check it out once I'm further in.
This sounds great. This is the Stephen Green book right? I agree with what your saying. It easy to see the 1950s stuff as just more Hellboy, but after in Hellboy, it'll be nice to just read some more "tales of", I love the HB volumes like the troll witch, crooked man etc.

Saw Churilla teasing art for his 1954 series on Twitter, cant wait for that.
Yes it is! Check out some of Green's fanart from the past, it's really rad. I'm happy he got a chance to work on the series.

I think you'll, unsurprisingly, enjoy it. I loved the one-off side stories throughout Hellboy so more of that is perfectly fine by me. It's a great way to add some fun back to the universe with all the shit going down in Hellboy and BPRD. It's great to follow it month to month.

I feel like you're not addressing the argument, you're discussing the state of the argument.

Yeah. No argument here with that assessment. I think that's where you find your answers. That's looking at things at a higher perspective. I feel like the argument has no true answer. There is 2 sides arguing their black and white answers when they should be looking at how they got to the argument and finding the compromise there.

Ghostbusters was pretty good with a few cringey moments that i wonder if they were in the theatrical version ( blu ray has extended), namely
fart joke, pringles joke, and the portal dive at the end. Dancing scene was a bit weird too.
Cameos were kinda goofy, i did like the special effects a lot. I was expecting worse but i don't think the plot is going to be something that i look positively on later too.

Just about what I thought. I thought the last quarter of the movie felt like it suddenly shifted gears and became a totally different movie and very goofy and cringey.
The dance scene was cut and put into the credits I think so that seems different.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Only terrible people hate that style. That's a thing I heard.

Puh-lease.

I'm only going to be adding Nova to my already diminished Marvel reading list, nothing else they have coming out soon or have announced interests me at all.

Sticking with Doctor Strange and Black Panther, but I think that's it.

It's great stuff, I think all fans of the series will enjoy it. I really liked that the physical copy has bigger proportions than a typical floppy. Jaime's art is just so damn good too!

re: Marvel stuff: I read through some of Champions and did not like it one bit. The writing and dialogue just felt off to me.The ending was kinda lame too.

Champions was a great setup issue, but I have no interest in where it's going.

May tradewait JJ, tho.

Sandfox

Haven't seen it. It's not bad in Cave, just a bit cartoony for my taste.

I gotta find that book.

I wouldn't say Marvel will be playing catch up because they have different issues, but I expect them to make big changes in 2017 like we're already starting to see with the X-line.

Dude, did you read Harrow County? About to sit down with it haha pry myself off the Mignola reread & Gears for the evening.

Yes it is! Check out some of Green's fanart from the past, it's really rad. I'm happy he got a chance to work on the series.

Holy shit, some of those are awesome! The ones with HB wearing the shogun-esque armor...I want to see that story told haha, not enough japanese myth stuff in HB. Just "heads" which is amazing. Although, lol, they adapated that into the cartoon including the horrific joke the dude tells and as he starts to tell it, I dive to cover my kids ears haha. Yea, I really like that dude's stuff! They really do come up with the most impressive crop of artists to work on these books though. Can't wait to read that Black Flame book either, Mitten is such a great artist.

Hagi

Sticking with Doctor Strange and Black Panther, but I think that's it.

The only books I follow monthly are Black Widow and All New Wolverine. Dr Strange and Thor are trade buys now. I buy all the Star Wars books in trades as well, Han Solo in January!

There's a few Marvel books I know I should likely follow but the incentive just isn't there.

Dude, did you read Harrow County? About to sit down with it haha pry myself off the Mignola reread & Gears for the evening.

I ended up reading some Ms Marvel and catching up with Detective Comics on the train instead. I'm going to give it some time tonight.

I wouldn't say Marvel will be playing catch up because they have different issues, but I expect them to make big changes in 2017 like we're already starting to see with the X-line.

The problems aren't stories or characters though (which is what they're overhauling), they need a giant shift in their creators and consistency.

Bendis and Waid are the only big name writers they have left (outside of Coates, who happens to be a massive X-Men fan, HELLO MARVEL) and Champions is a dud and Bendis just killed the Marvel Universe with a CWII that everybody hates.

You can't just shift down the ladder of creators and expect everything to only do 20% less if you can't get a 20% bigger name. People are just going to leave.

It's like, big creators are presidential nominees, and the other creators are down ticket. The big creators set the tone of the entire line and the entire universe. They make it a place a reader decides whether or not they want to invest their time and attention and their money in. And if those big names are a success at garnering interest (Johns being showrunner for DC Comics), you get pickups on downballot comics. But if the presidents are churning out unpopular stuff, no one has any interest in downticket comics, even if the nominees might have solid ideas (but shitty campaign posters).

Top Bottom