• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

I need to order the rest of the Deadly Class, Saga and East of West trades. Loved all three from what I've read so far. I've been distracted by my Ultimate Spider-Man marathon.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Internet blackout for me soon

Can only watch TWD tomorrow so want to avoid any definite spoilers. Time to finish this/last weeks comics.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I read the first TPB and really liked it; that's why I think I'll just buy the rest.

Oh, I checked out Manifest Destiny in my LCS and even thought the plot description from Image doesn't excite, the actual book seems good!

I really don't remember what made me buy Manifest Destiny. Because you're right it doesn't sound super exciting as an elevator pitch. I bought it at the same time as Rasputin so I might have just been on a history kick at the time.

And I just tweet about comics studies, which everyone here has shown an intense aversion too so no need to follow me, and UK Bass music.

Hahah, no aversion man, I feel bad when I see you post about your comic studies, I personally just don't reply because I don't know anything aobut that stuff, I don't think I have anything valuable on the area. Sounds interesting though!

Aaron did the Jane/Thor stuff? I'm in on that.

Yea he did, the 8 issue Thor series and the current mighty thor is Aaron :) he's been on Thor back since the beginning of marvel now with the Thor: God Of Thunder book, all the way through til now. Also, if your not familiar with Aaron, Primethius just wrote all those Scalped reviews, they might interest you enuogh to give that a look, amazing book.

I really don't remember what made me buy Manifest Destiny. Because you're right it doesn't sound super exciting as an elevator pitch. I bought it at the same time as Rasputin so I might have just been on a history kick at the time.

The funny thing is, the initial history thing is what interests me most about the book when I read aobut it, even thoug h I know it deviates heavily/is very much a history fiction horror adventure thing.

Messi

I bought it because Zombeen told me it was going to be the next Walking Dead and boy was he wrong. That comic is great but it aint gonna be no walking dead. Very good read though.

Anyone else losing steam a bit on westworld already? I was super impressed with the pilot and like "okay, I'm open to what they do with this", but after 2 and 3 I don't really feel like we've moved further from the pilot at all. Plus, I just find all the *behind the scenes* stuff cheap and nasty looking. I want to see much more of the people in the park and see things go awry form their point of view, robots and visitors, and instead there's a lot of interruption by the staff, both into the park and in the flow of each episode in general. I really like the concept and the idea of where it will go, but finding the execution a bit dull. I thought it would be worth watching weekly because there would be stuff to unpack and mull over week to week but I think that was a mistake. Maybe wait til the end and watch it all like that.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I mean we already know
good luck with the blackout

I kinda hope the spoiler I read is true

Anyone else losing steam a bit on westworld already? I was super impressed with the pilot and like "okay, I'm open to what they do with this", but after 2 and 3 I don't really feel like we've moved further from the pilot at all. Plus, I just find all the *behind the scenes* stuff cheap and nasty looking. I want to see much more of the people in the park and see things go awry form their point of view, and instead there's a lot of interruption by the other stuff. I really like the concept and the idea of where it will go, but finding the execution a bit dull. I thought it would be worth watching weekly because there would be stuff to unpack and mull over week to week but I think that was a mistake. Maybe wait til the end and watch it all like that.

not like this donnie

not like this

Farside

Unconfirmed Member

I'm going to buy the first TPB. $6 isn't too much to spend for a shot in the dark.

Hahah, no aversion man, I feel bad when I see you post about your comic studies, I personally just don't reply because I don't know anything aobut that stuff, I don't think I have anything valuable on the area. Sounds interesting though!

current mighty thor is Aaron :) he's been on Thor Aaron, Primethius

Oh, it's not a problem. I realize academic stuff doesn't fly here; but that doesn't mean I won't shut up about it. :)

And I'll definitely check out Aaron's Thor. Thanks, Flow and Donnie for the rec.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm going to buy the first TPB. $6 isn't too much to spend for a shot in the dark.

Oh, it's not a problem. I realize academic stuff doesn't fly here; but that doesn't mean I won't shut up about it. :)

And I'll definitely check out Aaron's Thor. Thanks, Flow and Donnie for the rec.
Trust me Aaron's run will make you a fan of Thor. So good.

not like this donnie

not like this

Haha I know, I know. I mean, it's early days. This is how I'm feeling about it, but I definitely will give it a bit more rope to pull through on or hang itself. I felt like episode 2 was almost a bit of a repilot from a different perspective and not quite as on point, and episode 3 was like, okay, the first real episode, so I wouldn't write it off or anything at such an early stage. If it isn't doing much for me after next week though, I'll probably just stop and wait til the end of the seaon. No-one I know is talking about it so no fear of spoilers.

And Zombine, I like GoT well enough too, and that took a few episodes to get going and find it's groove and voice too imo, so jury isn't out. Just sharin haha.

I
Oh, it's not a problem. I realize academic stuff doesn't fly here; but that doesn't mean I won't shut up about it. :) .

Dude I wouldn't put it like that at all haha, talk about what your passionate about for sure, of course it flies!

It's really good. Brubaker co wrote tonight's episode. I'm curious how he does

Definitely pulling for him. He's tried a few tv things now that didn't work out. Seems like he wants in that world and who can blame him. Fingers crossed. Apparently he has something else tv-wise going on right now, has mentioned it in his newsletters, maybe a Velvet thing.

The art by David Rubin on the upcoming Ether, written by Matt Kindt, look amazing: Click (Nice variant by Jeff Lemire too)

ETHER1CVR-BC.173603.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Pfft...all of you with your Walking Deads and Westworlds and Son of Zorn's. I'm watching The Strain twice and dvr'ing everything else.

Pfft...all of you with your Walking Deads and Westworlds and Son of Zorn's. I'm watching The Strain twice and dvr'ing everything else.

I have really not been enjoying The Strain this season. It feels like the show has been running out of gas. And I enjoyed all three novels back when I read them.

Hey wait, that's a cool cover. I used the other one for the November OT. oh well.

Haha what can you do.

Anyone try the strain comics? I'm a del Toro junkie but I bounced off the writing style of the books and my girlfriend won't watch the show. Was thinking about the comics. Love premise and the general vibe about it.

Catching up on Rebirth this weekend. Best show on television.

New Super-Man is fucking delightful. Justice League does an insanely good job of feeling like all those other books you like coming together for big stories. Green Lanterns is on some great shit after a wobbly opening arc. Hal Jordan is straight up CLASSIC Johnsey GL storytelling. Even Harley is a lot more fun after that dreadful zombie story. (Which actually ended pretty funly.)

It's honestly just stupid how great and consistent these books are.

Sandfox

Catching up on Rebirth this weekend. Best show on television.

New Super-Man is fucking delightful. Justice League does an insanely good job of feeling like all those other books you like coming together for big stories. Green Lanterns is on some great shit after a wobbly opening arc. Hal Jordan is straight up CLASSIC Johnsey GL storytelling. Even Harley is a lot more fun after that dreadful zombie story. (Which actually ended pretty funly.)

It's honestly just stupid how great and consistent these books are.

I think you're the first person I have every seen praise Justice League lol.

VanWinkle

Finished Camelot 3000 which was really cool. I love 80s comics, honestly. Great stuff.

Starting this volume now. I LOVE this series. It's so amazing. Been a long time since I read volume two, so I am excited to read.

oCnrqxW.jpg

Zombine

Banned
Grimm Fairy Tales is goddamn confusing

I like to play a game when I read the Grimm Fairy Tales. I like to play "is it racist?"

The answer is almost always yes.

If you're talking about the comic book, I like to play "is it good?"

The answer is almost always no.

Ponn

Banned
I have really not been enjoying The Strain this season. It feels like the show has been running out of gas. And I enjoyed all three novels back when I read them.

I was on board for the first season but they really lost me on the second season and this season is just a drag through the mud. I'm really surprised it got a 3rd season.

TheFlow

Banned
Wait are we talking about the Grimm show on nbc where they all do that werewolf like transformation and shit or something else?

Top Bottom