• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

TraBuch

Banned
So what's the deal with Valiant? Are they like the Asylum of the comic world or something? Just a bunch of knock-offs of bigger, more successful comics? Seems like there's a crapload of derisiveness when there's a Valiant topic in OT.

So what's the deal with Valiant? Are they like the Asylum of the comic world or something? Just a bunch of knock-offs of bigger, more successful comics? Seems like there's a crapload of derisiveness when there's a Valiant topic in OT.

oh shit, Lunchpod is coming. Run away!

giphy.gif

Serious answer, we just like to give Lunchpod shit about Valiant because he loves them so much. Some of their books are fantastic, though. I've found them to be hit-or-miss like any other publisher.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone catch me up on Hellblazer #2?
Who's the girl? And obvious Watchmen reference, so this book will have some relevance to the larger mystery.

mreddie

latest

Eddie scooped COMICSGAF?

WHAT IS THIS? Also, G Willow Wilson did some DC work. I could be working for GOD TRUMP.

Well. I don't think schooling boxy and echo QUITE qualifies as scooping comicgaf, mister

Let's see who else fesses up to this gap in their comic knowledge

Ok, let me give you the low-down...

Valiant was a pretty successful comic publisher in the 90s that went belly-up around the turn of the century. They were revived in 2012 as an independent publisher using the same stock of characters, but with some not-so-well-known talent. The reboot resulted in some of the best comic stories in the past decade and was incredibly well-received by the core comics community, despite them seeming like knockoffs of more popular characters. Valiant's overall philosophy is telling good stories that happen to center around superheroes. Over time, it started drawing bigger writers and artists, mainly because of the nature of the publisher in letting writers do whatever they want with characters. As Jeff Lemire has said, it feels like a creator-owned publisher.

Anyway, the "derision" doesn't usually come from Valiant itself, but because Sony is the company that will be producing their cinematic universe.

Oh, also, any shit talking that happens in this thread is just to give me shit.

TraBuch

Banned
Ok, let me give you the low-down...

Valiant was a pretty successful comic publisher in the 90s that went belly-up around the turn of the century. They were revived in 2012 as an independent publisher using the same stock of characters, but with some not-so-well-known talent. The reboot resulted in some of the best comic stories in the past decade and was incredibly well-received by the core comics community, despite them seeming like knockoffs of more popular characters. Valiant's overall philosophy is telling good stories that happen to center around superheroes. Over time, it started drawing bigger writers and artists, mainly because of the nature of the publisher in letting writers do whatever they want with characters. As Jeff Lemire has said, it feels like a creator-owned publisher.

Anyway, the "derision" doesn't usually come from Valiant itself, but because Sony is the company that will be producing their cinematic universe.

Oh, also, any shit talking that happens in this thread is just to give me shit.

Interesting. Who're the flagship Valiant characters? Assuming X-O Manowar is one of them? What're the must-reads? I tried reading Rai a few weeks ago and wasn't really feeling it.

VanWinkle

Interesting. Who're the flagship Valiant characters? Assuming X-O Manowar is one of them? What're the must-reads? I tried reading Rai a few weeks ago and wasn't really feeling it.

X-O Manowar and Bloodshot I'd say are the biggest ones. I tried Rai and I wasn't really into it, but I really like Ivar, Timewalker and Archer and Armstrong (haven't tried X-O Manowar and Bloodshot yet).

Ivar Timewalker is a great, self-contained story. Well worth a read. I also enjoyed Doctor Mirage.

WAIT Vixen's gonna be in the new JLA?

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS.

Her new design looks great too.

I love her hair. Her hairdo here > her previous designs. Especially the godawful weave in Season 4 of Arrow.

Their flagship characters are XO Manowar and Bloodshot, but I'd throw the Harbinger crew in there since they're making the film on them.

Must-reads, as Freeza and VanWinkle mentioned, are:
Ivar, Timewalker
Harbinger
The Valiant -> Bloodshot Reborn
Archer & Armstrong

Great:
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
XO Manowar
Quantum & Woody
Generation Zero
Unity Vol 1-5
Divinity I&II
Faith
Imperium

Good:
Unity
Ninjak
Rai
Dr. Mirage Vol 1&2
A&A: Adventures of Archer & Armstrong

Meh:
Shadowman Vol 1&2
Eternal Warrior (Greg Pak)
Unity Vol 6&7
Bloodshot

Avoid:
Shadowman Vol 3&4
Dead Drop

There are some crossovers and events sprinkled in there, but I tried to keep it to the standalone stuff. Most of those are built into a respective series.

I love Del Mundo but I haven't found him to be a great fit for the main Avengers team. I like him better on books like Elektra - a series I stuck with for several issues despite hating the story because it was so gorgeous - and Weirdworld, books where he really gets to play with some wacky stuff. I've found his Avengers issues too restrained. Admittedly it reminds me of his All-New X-Men work which I love...I dunno for whatever reason it doesn't quite click.

Is he picking up anything new in the incoming wave?

It's crazy how long some of those characters have been around. I remember reading a couple issues of Bloodshot when I was like...twelve, maybe thirteen years old

Boogiepop

So continuing on through my "Slott Spider-man that happened to be a large chunk on sale on Comixology a big back" read-through, I finally hit Spider Island. And I enjoyed it, but man, it was disappointing that
an interesting premise like that just turned into "eh, now everyone's giant mind-controlled spiders, and also the generic villain turns into a big generic giant monster." Like, sure, I guess the plot needed to escalate the stakes to move towards a conclusion and that was just about the easiest way possible to do it, but it still felt a tad lame.

TheFlow

Banned
WOAh all of Ms. Marvel is on sale at CMX!

guess I am going to power through all her issues before this wednesday.

Top Bottom