• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Super lame that Valiant has a bunch of dope stuff that's nycc exclusive. I need that faith shirt.

NYCC_006_FAITH-POP-SHIRT.jpg

😍😍😍

shingi70

Banned
😍😍😍

Damnit Valiant, the other exclusive shirts aren't too shabby either.

Have he next two days off so planning to do a ton of reading until then. Right now my three favorte Valiant characters and books are.

1. Faith
2. XO Manowar
3. Doctor Mirage

1. XO Manowar
2. Archer and Admitting
3. Harbinger

Damnit Valiant, the other exclusive shirts aren't too shabby either.

Have he next two days off so planning to do a ton of reading until then. Right now my three favorte Valiant characters and books are.

1. Faith
2. XO Manowar
3. Doctor Mirage

1. XO Manowar
2. Archer and Admitting
3. Harbinger

Not too shabby. It's hard picking favorites, but I'm partial to Ninjak, Geomancer (Kay), and Neela

EDIT: oh shit I forgot Harada and Peter

Foofaraw

Is there a Power Man equivalent to the Brubaker/Fraction/Aja Iron Fist? I feel like I've missed out on Luke Cage stories. The only stuff I've read are from one of the older New Avengers books were he lives at the Mansion with Jessica Jones.

Messi

Is there a Power Man equivalent to the Brubaker/Fraction/Aja Iron Fist? I feel like I've missed out on Luke Cage stories. The only stuff I've read are from one of the older New Avengers books were he lives at the Mansion with Jessica Jones.

Are you reading the current Power Man and Iron Fist run by David Walker and Sanford Greene? Its not serious in tone but it is really fantastic stuff.

Foofaraw

Are you reading the current Power Man and Iron Fist run by David Walker and Sanford Greene? Its not serious in tone but it is really fantastic stuff.

I wasn't, and I MU wait. BUT! The first 2 are on MU. Just read them.

This is super fun! I love how dynamic the art is, and really love the buddy cop vibe with the non-sequitur panels. Also, Danny's costume, the reverse Game of Death outfit? Come on, too good. I'm excited for more of this, and hope that Danny gets to be more light than the rest of the Netflix Marvel shows to take advantage of this dynamic.

Owzers

I still haven't read the last three or so issues of Fraction's Hawkeye, i was starting to reread the first OHC to get set up for it but i'm thinking we should start a book club and all read it together. Thoughts?

Sandfox

I still haven't read the last three or so issues of Fraction's Hawkeye, i was starting to reread the first OHC to get set up for it but i'm thinking we should start a book club and all read it together. Thoughts?

What could possibly go wrong?

Foofaraw

Fifth times a charm, right?

Owzers

Well, I started deadly class issue three in the first trade, honestly I wasn't expecting
goat sex. This book is getting far too weird for me and I'm wondering if I bought the wrong book.

Man I love Cassandra Cain so much. She feels like such a unique character. Very refreshing. On the surface, it seems like she'd be some dark and broody character who hated talking to people, but that's not true. She's a lonely girl who wants to make up for an awful life of killing by saving people instead. She wants to communicate and better display affection, but she genuinely has an incredibly difficult time with it. She can't even read or write. Because of the communication barrier, she has a hard time connecting even though she wants to.

I really do love her a lot.

Sandfox

Brevoort interview about Avengers and Champions:
http://comicbook.com/2016/10/03/exc...micbook.com Daily Newsletter&utm_content=Link

Avengers sounds like it should please a lot of people.

Man I love Cassandra Cain so much. She feels like such a unique character. Very refreshing. On the surface, it seems like she'd be some dark and broody character who hated talking to people, but that's not true. She's a lonely girl who wants to make up for an awful life of killing by saving people instead. She wants to communicate and better display affection, but she genuinely has an incredibly difficult time with it. She can't even read or write. Because of the communication barrier, she has a hard time connecting even though she wants to.

I really do love her a lot.
I need to read that Batgirl run.

Re-reading Whedon's Astonishing after reading Emma Frost's solo really brings a lot more insight to her character
I need to read that Batgirl run.
There's two volumes out right now. Dunno if there are anymore scheduled for the future, otherwise it's only 25 issues. It's pretty good, though I do have issues with the pacing.

Also was there a crossover involving Bruce Wayne getting arrested for murder during this time? Because there's an issue that feels very out of place because of it.

Remender and Ellis were lead writers on Dead Space! How did I not know this!?

Haha, it actually goes a little deeper than this, and I only say because Antony Johnston who's Wasteland comic I was a big fan of back in 2006, and was really fantastic for it's first two years. Remender puts it this way himself, form an old newsarama interview:

Newsarama: This isn't your first video game, or even your first game with EA. Warren Ellis was the "public" writer of Dead Space, but you did some work on that too, right?

Rick Remender: Well Warren didn't write Dead Space, he did the concepts- cooked up the universe for them basically. He set the stage, and once they had that stuff from him I came in and took his beats and character stuff and concept, and I wrote 6, 7, 8 outlines; I wrote the game out, the ending, a lot of the stuff in there, then Antony Johnston came in, and took the next step. He did all the dialogue and the final script writing, all of that stuff. Antony was the guy whose voice came across the most, for sure.

I only say add that because imo Johnson deserves the shout out, he's done some really good work over the years. Wasteland went to shit after Chris Mitten the artist left, but those first two years were awesome. They did Umbral at image together a year or so back, and I think Johnston is working on The Fuse right now. After the release of the first game I believe Johnston continued to work on some side stuff for the series like the series that came out at Image & Extraction ,but it's probably worth mentioning that none of the three worked no the actual video game stories after that, particularly not 3...ugh.

Now if only GAF offered an easy way to turn off gifs...

So preferences on mobile up in the top right, or edit options in your user control panel on the desktop site and you can do just that. I already have it set that way on my phone because of data cap

Waid-vengers by Mike Del Mundo

hnnng. So good. Wouldn't mind seeing Del Mundo take a turn at Thor, this is rad.

Edit: N52 launch volumes included in it.

Swamp Thing. Animal Man. I, Vampire. Batman. Wonder Woman, if there's any of those you haven't read.

EDIT: I'd add Batwoman but if I remember right, that vol 1 came a little while later, may not be included as a launch volume. Frankenstein was sweet too. I think the only one I skipped was resurrection man.

Swamp Thing. Animal Man. I, Vampire. Batman. Wonder Woman, if there's any of those you haven't read.

EDIT: I'd add Batwoman but if I remember right, that vol 1 came a little while later, may not be included as a launch volume. Frankenstein was sweet too.
It looks like ALL are included. Have a few in single issues(Batwoman, Batman etc) but I'll pick up the other you mentioned.

How was the GL books at the N52 start?

Well that's already a plus 1 for atomic junk shop, that arcane Sally and Mr steam review they have on the front page looks great, I might check that out haha very much up my alley.

BTW, if you're checking those books out, def prioritise animal man and swamp thing. Not only are they the best out of the ones you haven't tried, but they actually play off of each other up til the end of the third arc in both books. You can read them totally separate but they very much are two halves of a greater whole. My favourite thing about the new 52 launch was the Monster books push.

It looks like ALL are included. Have a few in single issues(Batwoman, Batman etc) but I'll pick up the other you mentioned.

How was the GL books at the N52 start?
Green Lantern is amazing because Geoff Johns continued the run as if the New 52 didn't happen and nothing changed.

If all volume 1 ar e included, Dial H is fucking awesome, although I wouldn't recommend that to everyone. Mieville has a very, how to put it...opaque writing style. He is an incredible writer, with some fantastic novels under his belt but I can see as many people being as put off as people loving it. His word choice, the way he does dialogue and plotting. That said, he creates the most wonderful fantastical dirty worlds. I bet those collections have quietly did super well for DC too.

Edit: jesus just realised in my last few posts I used the word awesome half a dozen times.. guess that's my word of the day

Foofaraw

If all volume 1 ar e included, Dial H is fucking awesome, although I wouldn't recommend that to everyone. Mieville has a very, how to put it...opaque writing style. He is an incredible writer, with some fantastic novels under his belt but I can see as many people being as put off as people loving it. His word choice, the way he does dialogue and plotting. That said, he creates the most wonderful fantastical dirty worlds. I bet those collections have quietly did super well for DC too.

Edit: jesus just realised in my last few posts I used the word awesome half a dozen times.. guess that's my word of the day

Mieville is so delightfully weird. I would love to see him on a creator owned book. Not that he didn't appear to have many restraints on him while writing on Dial H.

Mieville is so delightfully weird. I would love to see him on a creator owned book. Not that he didn't appear to have many restraints on him while writing on Dial H.

Hahah, so true. I would buy any comic put out by him in an instant. Even just imagine Bas-Lag visualised...any of his stuff visualised really. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been courted by DC or Image for more stuff but I imagine his novel workload get sin the way. Same reason there are not nearly enough Joe Hill comics in the world. I think Mieville even put out a children's story book this year.

Rat King would be a bit much maybe haha, so gross.

kmfdmpig

EDIT: I'd add Batwoman but if I remember right, that vol 1 came a little while later, may not be included as a launch volume. Frankenstein was sweet too. I think the only one I skipped was resurrection man.

Those are all good. I'd also recommend Batman and Robin, Batman, and Demon Knights as well for those who haven't read them.

Those are all good. I'd also recommend Batman and Robin, Batman, and Demon Knights as well for those who haven't read them.

I actually totally agree with batman and robin. I ended up dropping off after volume 3 I think because of keeping my list down basically, but what I read d I really enjoyed. It is very character focused and as someone with a kid in the house, it's a pretty effective horror book, when you begin to consider and treat Damian 's upbringing realistically.

TheFlow

Banned
I wasn't, and I MU wait. BUT! The first 2 are on MU. Just read them.

This is super fun! I love how dynamic the art is, and really love the buddy cop vibe with the non-sequitur panels. Also, Danny's costume, the reverse Game of Death outfit? Come on, too good. I'm excited for more of this, and hope that Danny gets to be more light than the rest of the Netflix Marvel shows to take advantage of this dynamic.

bruh, go to Comixology and scoop up the last 3 issues of that arc for 3 bucks.

Power man and Iron fist is my favorite book at Marvel.

Comixology is getting in on the originals content game.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/0...e-comics.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

Valiant High about the characters in high school.

Adventure time Marshall Lee Spectacular

Harvey Kutzmans Marley's Ghost.

When I first saw it, I honestly thought the Valiant one was related to Prince Valiant, and I was thinking "oh great another comic with the word Valiant in it for the comicgaf crew to take jabs at me with".

Owzers

Is Superman Rebirth still something i should buy the trade of? Some say Superman is boring.

Deadly Class vol 1 continues to be weird.

Top Bottom