• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

I think it's guys who came before that inspired them

portrait_incredible.jpg

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
The Longest Day of the Future #5: 5/5.

A dystopian examination of the futility of consumerism, branding, and ceaseless hostilities. It tells the story of two companies who decide, independent of the other, to go launch a semi-covert war with the other on the same day. At the center is a hapless employee (the long face dude) with a weird, newly-weaponized, suitcase full of cilia monsters, and a janitorial robot with two functions: Clean everything in sight and, when forced to by remote control, kill everything in sight. These characters are the primary first-strike weapons and form the sympathetic focus as both are being used against their will, with other major/minor antagonists filling out the rest of the roster: A failed suicide, a double agent, and the heads of each company.

Besides for paratextual information, such as chapter titles, and diegetic material, such as postcards, the book is without word balloons or other linguistic carriers, but the drawings are expressive enough, with the occasional upfixes to describe an intense mood or feeling, to not lose readers.

It uses heavily stylized art, occasionally transgressive panel stylings, and a somewhat metamodern sensibility to create a lighthearted, but incredibly serious, critique of the future.

VanWinkle

Finished Secret Six Vol. 3. Excellent stuff, as always. I'm really impressed with Simone's writing on that book.

Got these two up next:

TflTAX3.jpg

A dystopian examination of the futility of consumerism, branding, and ceaseless hostilities. It tells the story of two companies who decide, independent of the other, to go launch a semi-covert war with the other on the same day. At the center is a hapless employee (the long face dude) with a weird, newly-weaponized, suitcase full of cilia monsters, and a janitorial robot with two functions: Clean everything in sight and, when forced to by remote control, kill everything in sight. These characters are the primary first-strike weapons and form the sympathetic focus as both are being used against their will, with other major/minor antagonists filling out the rest of the roster: A failed suicide, a double agent, and the heads of each company.

Besides for paratextual information, such as chapter titles, and diegetic material, such as postcards, the book is without word balloons or other linguistic carriers, but the drawings are expressive enough, with the occasional upfixes to describe an intense mood or feeling, to not lose readers.

It uses heavily stylized art, occasionally transgressive panel stylings, and a somewhat metamodern sensibility to create a lighthearted, but incredibly serious, critique of the future.

THAT'S HOW YOU DEBATE

Hey, that sounds really cool! Great write-up man, so no dialogue huh? Interesting. I must list this for further research. Sounds really good though. Did you get a start on Y yet?

As for myself, I read Harrow County vol.2. I think I wrote enough for 4 or 5 reviews with the first volume so I'll just say, the book pretty much continues on the course the first book did, with pretty much the same strengths. I like that as the subject matter got darker in this volume, the colors got darker and more muted too, there were some really creepy moments, especially the ending. Lots of questions were dredged up with this volume (some quite literally) that I'm looking forward to being explored more. I also just find it delightful the way the Emmy carries around (minor spoiler)
the skin boy in her bag all the time,
as if it wasn't the creepiest thing ever.

The only critique that was on my mind when I finished, which I didn't actually mention for vol 1 but I'll say here, I feel like these arcs could actually be a little longer, maybe even just one issue. This isn't really something I think often with comics, usually the opposite. I think within each scene, things are paced perfectly but with a broader view to the plot, so much that has happened in 8 issues, and with a lot of plot threads starting to dangle, the team could spend just a little more time fleshing things out, even with certain things clearly supposed to be mysteries for now. I don't know if it's because they want to keep the trades coming out at a click, or if because Crook is doing the whole art load himself it works better for him this way. I only really say this too because I'm enjoying the lead character and her story, and all the weird plot ideas Bunn has cooked up. Maybe it's just that I enjoy reading the book and want it to last longer ha.

Also, I watched Westworld episode 4 andddd......wasn't that just the best episode since the pilot? I REALLY liked that one. The show feels like it has settled into it's skin with that episode and finally started to really flesh out the characters and the paths they've started down, oppose to re-iterating the same stuff from the pilot. Really hope it keeps this momentum up. I won't say any plot stuff though in case folks haven't watched yet.

It feels like months i tell ya since I've been in here but....basically Hellboy is amazing. Finished Library Edition Vol 2 and there's a marriage between the writing and art that just works so well. Also I love the little stories vs the big 50 odd page "epics".

I also like that Mignola loves a story but doesn't waste time, either with dialogue or overly long action sequences.

....Also after hearing that Hiromu Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist writer/artist) was a huge fan of Mignola's Hellboy work...going back and forth between the two, the inspiration is obvious.

Owzers

I don't like clothing that wants to be line dried or dry clean only, you think you're a special shirt? You're not, you're a shirt and you should be able to be tumble dried on low with the other shirts. Lay flat to dry...you are the $5.99 Marvel Annual of shirts.

It feels like months i tell ya since I've been in here but....basically Hellboy is amazing. Finished Library Edition Vol 2 and there's a marriage between the writing and art that just works so well. Also I love the little stories vs the big 50 odd page "epics".

I also like that Mignola loves a story but doesn't waste time, either with dialogue or overly long action sequences.

....Also after hearing that Hiromu Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist writer/artist) was a huge fan of Mignola's Hellboy work...going back and forth between the two, the inspiration is obvious.

Hell yea. I feel like those two volumes that are collected there are where things really start to get going along. Seed Of Destruction & Wake The Devil are amazing pieces of work and lay the groundwork for so many things, both in HB and the ancillary titles, but volume 3 Mike really starts to find that groove, the more folklorey direction, just brilliant. Just wait until you read the next edition! The Three Wishes is one of my favourite Hb stories bar none, and just everything in there. Shit goes down! His dialogue is perfect too, I totally agree on that, and again, he really finds it in those volumes.

tim1138

Tim man. What you been reading? I'm 100% caught up in hell on earth haha, bought the uncollected issues of Abe and BPRD so I can read the finale next month. Dear Lord. End of days and cometh the hour...SO good.

Over the past week I've read Margaret Atwood's newest novel (Hag-Seed), and Roxanne Gay's essay collection (Bad Feminist). I'll be starting The Mothers by Brit Bennet tomorrow and then I have the Terranauts by TC Boyle after that. If you meant comics, then nothing outside of my weekly pulls.

Over the past week I've read Margaret Atwood's newest novel (Hag-Seed), and Roxanne Gay's essay collection (Bad Feminist). I'll be starting The Mothers by Brit Bennet tomorrow and then I have the Terranauts by TC Boyle after that. If you meant comics, then nothing outside of my weekly pulls.

I'm always interested to hear what novels folks have been reading as well as comics dude. Not a lot of novel chat comes up in here, for all the tv, games stuff that does. I'm clearing the deck of all my unread graphic novels before I set in on The Fireman, excited to read that. Hag-Seed is a brilliant name for a book ha.

tim1138

I'm always interested to hear what novels folks have been reading as well as comics dude. Not a lot of novel chat comes up in here, for all the tv, games stuff that does. I'm clearing the deck of all my unread graphic novels before I set in on The Fireman, excited to read that. Hag-Seed is a brilliant name for a book ha.

Hag-Seed was great, it's a modern retelling of the Tempest. It was much better than her last novel, and probably my favorite thing by her since the MaddAddam trilogy.

Oh yeah I know what you mean on all of that. Hellboy is so good and you're gonna love where the series goes man.

I really like how the mangaka for Yu-Gi-Oh is also a fan. His art trade with Mignola is great, look it up if you've never seen it LOL

shingi70

Banned
There no justice in this world, while I do want some of the other promised Rebirth books wouldn't mind Titans West with this line up.

Wonder_Girl.jpg

Speedy_MIss_Martian.jpg

Bunker.jpg

Aqualad.jpg

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
THAT'S HOW YOU DEBATE

Thanks! But I don't know if I'd call that debate; more like me yapping in a semi-academic fashion.

Hey, that sounds really cool! Great write-up man, so no dialogue huh? Interesting. I must list this for further research. Sounds really good though. Did you get a start on Y yet?

Glad you found it useful. Nope, haven't started Y yet. I'm either reading From Hell next or Y, though, so I'll keep you posted.

Boogiepop

Well, I read all the issues of Bitch Planet that are out in one sitting, and I quite enjoyed it. Especially that last one with the realization of
"oh damn, it makes sense that a world like this would also be extra crap to trans people", and that callback to "I don't have a brother" bringing it into context is great. Plus that moment of realization with the violin piece is really well played in terms of subtly conveying that he knows without coming out and saying it.
Are people not keeping up with this one, btw? I feel like I haven't heard much discussion of it in here (though to be fair I tended to skim past posts discussing new issues with big spoiler tags and not pay them attention, because I only just recently have any books I'm up to date on).

Well, I read all the issues of Bitch Planet that are out in one sitting, and I quite enjoyed it. Especially that last one with the realization of
"oh damn, it makes sense that a world like this would also be extra crap to trans people", and that callback to "I don't have a brother" bringing it into context is great. Plus that moment of realization with the violin piece is really well played in terms of subtly conveying that he knows without coming out and saying it.
Are people not keeping up with this one, btw? I feel like I haven't heard much discussion of it in here (though to be fair I tended to skim past posts discussing new issues with big spoiler tags and not pay them attention, because I only just recently have any books I'm up to date on).
Are you gonna get a Non-Compliant tat?

tim1138

I love it, it's one of my favorite books when it actually comes out. I gave up trying to talk about it, because there's a couple folks who think it's "man hating" or some other nonsense and were offended by it, and it just wasn't worth the hassle of talking into the void.

PsychBat!

Banned
I’m puttin’ on my shades
to cover up my eyes.
I’m jumpin’ in my ride,
I’m heading out tonight

I’m solo, I’m Han Solo.
I’m Han Solo.
I’m Han Solo, Solo.

kmfdmpig

In for a treat with Justice in that format.

Yup. Such beautiful art. I was really pleasantly surprised by the story as well, as I had heard not so great things about it, but thought it was fairly solid, particularly with Green Lantern and some of the more obscure characters.

Zombine

Banned
So, this is my first time really diving into Image Plus, and I had NO idea it was basically all of the back matter and interviews and stuff that I loved fleshed out. I thought it was just previews.

Messi

I love it, it's one of my favorite books when it actually comes out. I gave up trying to talk about it, because there's a couple folks who think it's "man hating" or some other nonsense and were offended by it, and it just wasn't worth the hassle of talking into the void.

I don't remember anyone being offended by it here. Just that the book was very angry and that maybe it's not something that they wanted to read. It's not a comfortable read, nor should it be but sometimes when you sit down with a comic that is not what you are looking for.

There no justice in this world, while I do want some of the other promised Rebirth books wouldn't mind Titans West with this line up.

These are legit the worst Teen Titan costume designs I've ever seen. Someone repost those awesome Batman villain concepts from a few weeks ago.

Top Bottom