• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

I'm actually liking Hell on Earth more than Frogs, I like how fucked up everything is and all the crazy monsters. Plus
the fight between Liz and the Black Flame
was amazing. Abe is next up after I'm all caught up on BPRD, and then I'll move on to Lobster Johnson and Frankenstein. Somewhere between all this and the new Jonathan Safran Foer novel I need reread Hellboy in Hell vol 1.

Not to kibosh your planned order but Hellboy In Hell is essential reading for recent BPRD storylines.

When I bought the Hellboy trades a few years back, I just bought the numbered volumes because of that very reason. I wasn't sure where the side story stuff fit into the chronology and figured it wasn't all that essential. It took me so long to read any of this stuff because the sheer number of volumes is pretty intimidating honestly, but it's been well worth the wait.

Yea, it's one of those things. There is a connection there, (it's basically just
frankenstein's first appearence
), but it's nothing that you need to read in a specific order or anything. There's some cool stuff you'll see in Lobster Johnson & Witchfinder vol 1 that tie in to BPRD stuff though, and Frankenstein Underground is really something, probably one of the most essential side things they've ever done., but I like how 99% of the time it doesn't matter what order you read the ties in, they just connect the way round you saw it instead. Tons of eye opening stuff in there, and just a great tale to boot though. I think you'll like Abe a lot too given what you mentioned liking about the books in general. It's very tragic and it has this real nice ground level view at the eponymous hell on earth, there's a lot of personal stories told in that book. Lots of weird and fucked up stuff too haha.

Rereading The Right Hand Of Doom tonight and it's unreal how much stuff that seemed like a swerve later on was right there in front of you. I mean,
Azeroth literally tells him his crown will be in hell waiting for him, yet it's mindblowing when HB dies and its all DEATH WAS NOT THE END"

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
The most was like 500 but I've spent over 2k I'd say on NYCC

That's about what I expected. I haven't gone too hard on the commission thing yet, but it can add up real quick.

But on the other hand you get a one of a kind piece of art, which is awesome.

Messi

Are we going to the auction or am I going alone?

I'll go but if all goes as planned I won't have cash to mess with

That's about what I expected. I haven't gone too hard on the commission thing yet, but it can add up real quick.

But on the other hand you get a one of a kind piece of art, which is awesome.

It absolutely adds up fast. But I love the personalized art.

Right now just got an email from Elsa Charretier saying she could not finish my commission on time and she is really sorry and if I come to her table she will give me a gift to apologize. Sad but I will get it shortly after NYCC.

tim1138

Not to kibosh your planned order but Hellboy In Hell is essential reading for recent BPRD storylines.

I only have the second Hellboy in Hell trade left, so I'm up through the first five issues. Where do I need to stop in BPRD before the second HiH trade drops in a couple weeks?

Yea, it's one of those things. There is a connection there, (it's basically just
frankenstein's first appearence
), but it's nothing that you need to read in a specific order or anything. There's some cool stuff you'll see in Lobster Johnson & Witchfinder vol 1 that tie in to BPRD stuff though, and Frankenstein Underground is really something, probably one of the most essential side things they've ever done., but I like how 99% of the time it doesn't matter what order you read the ties in, they just connect the way round you saw it instead. Tons of eye opening stuff in there, and just a great tale to boot though. I think you'll like Abe a lot too given what you mentioned liking about the books in general. It's very tragic and it has this real nice ground level view at the eponymous hell on earth, there's a lot of personal stories told in that book. Lots of weird and fucked up stuff too haha.

Rereading The Right Hand Of Doom tonight and it's unreal how much stuff that seemed like a swerve later on was right there in front of you. I mean,
Azeroth literally tells him his crown will be in hell waiting for him, yet it's mindblowing when HB dies and its all DEATH WAS NOT THE END"

I'm really looking forward to reading Abe, his story is so sad. :(

I'm really hoping CMX has a sale on everything when vol 2 of HiH comes out, so I can just buy everything. I'm prepared to spend all of the money and buy all of the Mignolaverse comics.

Sandfox

Is anyone checking out Black tomorrow? It's pretty interesting how the book is releasing just days after Luke Cage.

shingi70

Banned
Going you my first con this year and want tone take a theme notebook for commosions. Any advice on a type of notebook and the usual conduct.

MG310

Still not sure if that Pichelli Scarlet Witch is for the NYCC auction...she already donated a cover.

Also Messi I spent the same on one from Yanick.

As long as I still have enough around to pick up Mafia 3 after I'm good. Decided to go harder on commissions this year and less on prints/books. Don't usually buy a lot of statues or figures at NYCC as there's the issue of traveling with them.

Here's one of Sara Richard's pre-show commissions. Definitely getting another one from her this year. Loved the Roller Derby Harley she did for me last time.

(Sorry for the posting the maybe NSFW pic)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLJ01JggeEt/?taken-by=sararichardart

I only have the second Hellboy in Hell trade left, so I'm up through the first five issues. Where do I need to stop in BPRD before the second HiH trade drops in a couple weeks?

I'm really looking forward to reading Abe, his story is so sad. :(

I'm really hoping CMX has a sale on everything when vol 2 of HiH comes out, so I can just buy everything. I'm prepared to spend all of the money and buy all of the Mignolaverse comics.

Just the last like 8 issues of BPRD

Still not sure if that Pichelli Scarlet Witch is for the NYCC auction...she already donated a cover.

Also Messi I spent the same on one from Yanick.

As long as I still have enough around to pick up Mafia 3 after I'm good. Decided to go harder on commissions this year and less on prints/books. Don't usually buy a lot of statues or figures at NYCC as there's the issue of traveling with them.

Here's one of Sara Richard's pre-show commissions. Definitely getting another one from her this year. Loved the Roller Derby Harley she did for me last time.
NSFW?

The book will be finished before 40 issues though. that being said I will have to disagree because the books is about an escalation of shit getting worse and worse. good people don't survive at an assassin school

Yea, I can see that and heck, that was a huge part of the reason I really enjoyed the first three volumes. I suppose for me, the issue is largely that there's a very fine line that you have to balance yourself around when the world you are depicting is one that anyone can die in.

For me, the book has hit the point where I stopped caring about the characters (in part due to how Remender is writing it and how the story is playing out), so the central crux of all of the tension and escalation vanishes for me.

I would like to say two things and I'll be on my merry way:

-Rick Jones will be the new Venom
-Simon Baz is the single most frustrating character currently in comics

You may continue

Messi

My list so far looks like this:

Elsa Charretier
Mirka Andolpho
Joe Quinones
Jen Bartel
Sanford Greene
Marcio Takara

3 more in various states of kinda sorta.

Sandfox

He'll become Venom and reunite a new team of Avengers after working with Captain Marvel and the Hulk

Also what does that mean?

He's basically Steve's sidekick at the moment in an Oracle-like role. I used the quotes because Rick took up the Bucky mantle in the past.

My list so far looks like this:

Elsa Charretier
Mirka Andolpho
Joe Quinones
Jen Bartel
Sanford Greene
Marcio Takara

3 more in various states of kinda sorta.

For a second I thought this was the list of people Messi is taking with him back to Ireland against their will.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Marcio Takara.

486137a07945b2ab-MarcioTakara_04.jpg

tumblr_m413zjhlyj1r9kz6do1_1280.jpg

Daaaaaaaaammmmmn.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IST WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME!?

You didn't have Goon Library edition Vol.4 when I put in my order. Now you do!? Why do you hate me!?

You are fucking me, IST. Fucking me!

Finished Deadly Class vol 1, i see why people like it, but it reminds me of Preacher where the content is just too much for me.

If i didn't already have the next two trades i don't think i'd continue despite being interested.

You seemed to miss the memo when you used words instead of gifs for this review.

You are fucking me, IST. Fucking me!

Physical comics in 2016. You have no one to blame but yourself.

He's basically Steve's sidekick at the moment in an Oracle-like role. I used the quotes because Rick took up the Bucky mantle in the past.
I know he played sidekick to Steve in the past, but what has he really done for him now? He hasn't showed up past issue #1. Maybe #3.

Physical comics in 2016. You have no one to blame but yourself.

I don't consider trades the same way I do floppies. Floppies, I used to buy, read, then toss in a box until I recycled most of them. But the stuff I really liked, I want to have in a collected format. Sure digital is great, but what are you going to do when aliens hit Earth with an EMP bomb and destroy all electronics on earth? Can't read digital comics then!

Tragicomedy: 0
Freeza: 1

Overwatch hasn't done a Halloween event yet, should we worry?

You should always worry when Overwatch is involved.

Sandfox

I know he played sidekick to Steve in the past, but what has he really done for him now? He hasn't showed up past issue #1. Maybe #3.

He in 3 and 4.

Politics in my X-Men? I just wanted to read about stories about weird people fighting bad guys.
Marvel is disrespecting Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and the characters by putting politics in my comics. Stan Lee would never approve of Liberal opinions in his books!

Top Bottom