• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

mreddie

Ct7HTQnW8AAw-B5.jpg

mreddie

Hmm I'm gonna have to read that. I feel like there is a long way to go with creators and not every publisher is embracing diversity to the same degree, so it will be interesting to see what they have to say.

Yep, Marvel got a TD with Kamala but I think we still have a LLLLLLOOOOONNNNGGGG way to go.

Sandfox

Yep, Marvel got a TD with Kamala but I think we still have a LLLLLLOOOOONNNNGGGG way to go.
Marvel is doing good, by promoting minorities as some of their biggest heroes and finally diversifying creative teams, but I want to see more. Orlando and others are making some good steps at DC as well, though I think they need to push some more PoC heroes.

Marvel is doing good, by promoting minorities as some of their biggest heroes and finally diversifying creative teams, but I want to see more. Orlando and others are making some good steps at DC as well, though I think they need to push some more PoC heroes.

Marvel is an interesting case. They've made some shockingly bad moves with their LGBT characters this year. And while they're doing a pretty good job promoting minority characters - a laudable job even, in some cases - I think it's interesting that while they have minorities and a woman taking on the roles of some of their biggest characters, the traditional white versions of those characters are still around (except Bruce). It's a delicate balancing act to keep Miles, Kamala, Jane, Amadeus and Sam from seeming overshadowed, though I think they are doing a reasonably good job with that for most of these characters.

shingi70

Banned
DC is always gonna be seen as "not doing enough" despite, in some cases, doing more than Marvel.

True, I was a bit dismayed that BoP and Batgirl having female creators haven't gotten much more praise. Or Vigilante Southland.

In DC's case they have bad habit of giving and then taking away in favor of more iconic versions of characters.

I'd love it if the new Venom host is either nonwhite or lgbt or both

DC is always gonna be seen as "not doing enough" despite, in some cases, doing more than Marvel.

Different approaches for the most part. I'm very interested to see what that article has to say about both of them.

shingi70

Banned
Honestly both could do better, Marvel I fear that Sam and friends will go back to being non enites if they were to go back to their original identities, at the same time giving a new character a starting identity is a good idea, but history has told us that it rarely works these days.

Honestly both could do better, Marvel I fear that Sam and friends will go back to being non enites if they were to go back to their original identities, at the same time giving a new character a starting identity is a good idea, but history has told us that it rarely works these days.

I think the New Super-Man approach is smart and hopefully it will work out well for them. That character has his own corner in the universe which belongs to him and his supporting cast. There isn't a sense that he is ever going to cramp Superman's style just by existing.

Ms. Marvel was handled well too, taking a legacy identity that would never be needed for Carol ever again now that she has "grown out of it."

Of course they should keep experimenting with brand new characters as well, like Mosaic, but as you say, that's always gonna be the long shot.

TheFlow

Banned
It's just the general opinion from people that Marvel characters feel more relatable thus they assume they're doing more for diversity.
Oh gotcha.

As a black man I am loving what marvel is doing but I also know there are other minorities and groups that are not in the spotlight as much. Like ghost rider needs another chance at a book.

Sandfox

Oh gotcha.

As a black man I am loving what marvel is doing but I also know there are other minorities and groups that are not in the spotlight as much. Like ghost rider needs another chance at a book.
Ghost Rider is getting a new ongoing next month.

God dammit. Instocktrades failed me. Goon Library Edition Vol.4 has apparently shipped to some places, but not others. IST doesn't have it, but TFAW does. Midtown doesn't have it and says it's now a release for next week. Ah well. I have to grab The Fade Out Dlx HC next week from IST anyway.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yes and this time around he will actually be interacting with other characters in the MU, which IIRC was a complaint about the previous run.
And maybe we will even hear what happened to Johnny.

But I would kill that character off, too, if Nicolas Cage would do that character in a movie, tbh.

frye

I think the New Super-Man approach is smart and hopefully it will work out well for them. That character has his own corner in the universe which belongs to him and his supporting cast. There isn't a sense that he is ever going to cramp Superman's style just by existing.

I like that the name of the arc is "Made in China," like Yang's acknowledging the perception of these kinds of characters as inferior foreign knockoffs. I wonder how much of that is deliberate and how much of it is me reading into something that isn't there.

That said, I find most of these "replacement" characters pretty cynical ultimately, regardless of good intentions. Kamala is one thing because it's conceivable that she's the Ms. Marvel for the forseeable future but we've had a black Captain America* and a black Iron Man before and we know what happens: either they recede into the background or the original (white) character comes back and they split the spotlight which is what they're doing now. But if you do it the other way and make a new character who doesn't sell and gets cancelled in 5 then you end up with other problems so I'm almost convinced at this point that mainstream superhero comics are kind of a dead end for representation/diversity people are looking for for the most part.

* gr8 comic btw

TheFlow

Banned
I like that the name of the arc is "Made in China," like Yang's acknowledging the perception of these kinds of characters as inferior foreign knockoffs. I wonder how much of that is deliberate and how much of it is me reading into something that isn't there.

That said, I find most of these "replacement" characters pretty cynical ultimately, regardless of good intentions. Kamala is one thing because it's conceivable that she's the Ms. Marvel for the forseeable future but we've had a black Captain America* and a black Iron Man before and we know what happens: either they recede into the background or the original (white) character comes back and they split the spotlight which is what they're doing now. But if you do it the other way and make a new character who doesn't sell and gets cancelled in 5 then you end up with other problems so I'm almost convinced at this point that mainstream superhero comics are kind of a dead end for representation/diversity people are looking for for the most part.

* gr8 comic btw
Pretty much.

Sam Wilson can definitely survive but Riri won't really.

Marvel movies along with having the main cap book for about a year or so has boosted his popularity.

Foofaraw

bruh, go to Comixology and scoop up the last 3 issues of that arc for 3 bucks.

Power man and Iron fist is my favorite book at Marvel.

I would, but the last three issues are $4 a piece right now. I ain't about to do that when I can just a wait a few months for all that free goodness. Shoot, I'm behind on IBO and I have no reason to be.

Is Superman Rebirth still something i should buy the trade of? Some say Superman is boring.

Deadly Class vol 1 continues to be weird.

I really liked Superman. More like Superdad. Has some good gonzo 90's feels.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Seriously curious when Sam is going to be Falcon again.
I kinda think when the current Steve Rogers arc is over -> in 25 issues/ 2 years.

TheFlow

Banned
I would, but the last three issues are $4 a piece right now. I ain't about to do that when I can just a wait a few months for all that free goodness. Shoot, I'm behind on IBO and I have no reason to be.

I really liked Superman. More like Superdad. Has some good gonzo 90's feels.
Haha no each issue is 99 cents on CMX right now. It would save you about 3 months of wait.

And if you liked that Fraction run you are going to love the stuff being done with Danny

Top Bottom