• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Deadly Class, Vol 4: Die for Me
[2/5]: Oh boy, where to start? After three volumes which I heavily enjoyed, this was a huge disappointment.
Shabnam is a grade-A manga-villain reject. He sucked and brought the entire volume down with his shittiness. Marcus's continued introspection just doesn't work. It's boring. There's also way too much monologuing or what feels like monologuing where characters just repeat bits of dialogue trying to hammer their point in. And to be very honest, I'm not really emotionally invested in any of these characters so none of those scenes are effective in the least. The dialogue between Willie and Marcus on the roof just kinda sucked. Remender seemed self-aware with how cliche the entire thing sounded but was never able to write the scene in a way to escape the mediocrity of it all.

The backstories also seem to be trying to one-up each other. "No, I'm more fucked up then you or just as fucked up." But none are really done particularly well for me to give a shit that the character died. Which sucks because I'm the easiest guy to please in this regard. One Piece character backstories are my kryptonite. But somehow Remender continuously interjects the backstories throughout the volume and they never manage to make a lasting impression past the initial point in which you've read them.

The entire arc is just happened too early in the story. There needed to be another 10-15 issues of progression within the school itself before something like this story should take place.

TheFlow

Banned
Deadly Class, Vol 4: Die for Me
[2/5]: Oh boy, where to start? After three volumes which I heavily enjoyed, this was a huge disappointment.
Shabnam is a grade-A manga-villain reject. He sucked and brought the entire volume down with his shittiness. Marcus's continued introspection just doesn't work. It's boring. There's also way too much monologuing or what feels like monologuing where characters just repeat bits of dialogue trying to hammer their point in. And to be very honest, I'm not really emotionally invested in any of these characters so none of those scenes are effective in the least. The dialogue between Willie and Marcus on the roof just kinda sucked. Remender seemed self-aware with how cliche the entire thing sounded but was never able to write the scene in a way to escape the mediocrity of it all.

The backstories also seem to be trying to one-up each other. "No, I'm more fucked up then you or just as fucked up." But none are really done particularly well for me to give a shit that the character died. Which sucks because I'm the easiest guy to please in this regard. One Piece character backstories are my kryptonite. But somehow Remender continuously interjects the backstories throughout the volume and they never manage to make a lasting impression past the initial point in which you've read them.

The entire arc is just happened too early in the story. There needed to be another 10-15 issues of progression within the school itself before something like this story should take place.
The book will be finished before 40 issues though. that being said I will have to disagree because the books is about an escalation of shit getting worse and worse. good people don't survive at an assassin school

I like that the name of the arc is "Made in China," like Yang's acknowledging the perception of these kinds of characters as inferior foreign knockoffs. I wonder how much of that is deliberate and how much of it is me reading into something that isn't there.

That said, I find most of these "replacement" characters pretty cynical ultimately, regardless of good intentions. Kamala is one thing because it's conceivable that she's the Ms. Marvel for the forseeable future but we've had a black Captain America* and a black Iron Man before and we know what happens: either they recede into the background or the original (white) character comes back and they split the spotlight which is what they're doing now. But if you do it the other way and make a new character who doesn't sell and gets cancelled in 5 then you end up with other problems so I'm almost convinced at this point that mainstream superhero comics are kind of a dead end for representation/diversity people are looking for for the most part.

* gr8 comic btw

These are all really good points.

I'm curious to see what happens to Sam when they decide they only need one Captain America. Or what happens to Miles and Miguel when they decide they only need one Spider-Man. I don't think Sam can go back to being Falcon, he has grown too much as a character to return to an identity that will always be labeled a sidekick role (this is even being reinforced right now in his title). Do they risk a new identity for him, a new hero? Is that the only way through the obstacles frye illustrated so well...build an audience for a character while they're using a legacy identity, then create a new hero? I think that's clearly what they're going to try to do with RiRi. Sam is the greater, more important test.

Miles I don't think is going anywhere but I do wonder if he will be "Spider-Man #2" forever.

Maybe that's what they will do, though, maybe they'll decide the best solution is to have multiple versions of the big name characters forever and keep minority representation in those roles. The problem is, as long as the movies feature the "default" versions, that's how most kids will grow up seeing them. To my daughter, Steve Rogers IS Captain America, Peter Parker IS Spider-Man. Someday I'll get her to read more cape books and she'll know better. ;p

Messi

The book will be finished before 40 issues though. that being said I will have to disagree because the books is about an escalation of shit getting worse and worse. good people don't survive at an assassin school

I really think it came too early also but really liked it.

Sandfox

Pretty much.

Sam Wilson can definitely survive but Riri won't really.

Marvel movies along with having the main cap book for about a year or so has boosted his popularity.
That would depend on how popular Riri ends up being. A good amount of these characters will probably stick around.

Another thing about Riri is that she doesn't have to give up a mantle sunc she has an original name and Doom will probably be the one to become Iron Man.

TheFlow

Banned

I'm curious to see what happens to Sam when they decide they only need one Captain America. Or what happens to Miles and Miguel when they decide they only need one Spider-Man. I don't think Sam can go back to being Falcon, he has grown too much as a character to return to an identity that will always be labeled a sidekick role (this is even being reinforced right now in his title). Do they risk a new identity for him, a new hero? Is that the only way through the obstacles frye illustrated so well...build an audience for a character while they're using a legacy identity, then create a new hero? I think that's clearly what they're going to try to do with RiRi. Sam is the greater, more important test.

Miles I don't think is going anywhere but I do wonder if he will be "Spider-Man #2" forever.

Maybe that's what they will do, though, maybe they'll decide the best solution is to have multiple versions of the big name characters forever and keep minority representation in those roles. The problem is, as long as the movies feature the "default" versions, that's how most kids will grow up seeing them. To my daughter, Steve Rogers IS Captain America, Peter Parker IS Spider-Man. Someday I'll get her to read more cape books and she'll know better. ;p
Lol there will never be just one spider person. Hell marvel keeps making more tbh.

I see miles as the one to take over the mantle of Spider-man. Peter is evolving past the street level stuff. The next movie Spider-Man is definitely going to be black as well

Foofaraw

No, sorry, I cant take this shit talk anymore.
People who dont dont have any plan what they are talking about, people who scream that its racist to make Danny Rand white and who would scream that it would be racist when he would be the cool asian who can do Kung-Fu.

We have zero idea what at least happens in that show and when there is really stupid stuff going on I am fine with people complaining, but smh. Its so annoying.

I just hope Ser Loras can do some good Kung Fu.

Haha no each issue is 99 cents on CMX right now. It would save you about 3 months of wait.

And if you liked that Fraction run you are going to love the stuff being done with Danny

I'm staring right at a 3.99 price per issue on Comixology. They aren't part of the sale.

Back to Luke Cage watching, woo.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Miles has still his favor from Molecule Man left to bring bAck the Ultimate Universe when Bendis descides to want his own sandbox back and Miguel will go back to the everlasting year of 2099 where everyone will continue to not care about him when the book is canceled soon, beside the occasions Slott wants to do something with him.

And I think this is way better solution then the quadrillions of Spider-People that running currently around in 616.

TheFlow

Banned
I just hope Ser Loras can do some good Kung Fu.

I'm staring right at a 3.99 price per issue on Comixology. They aren't part of the sale.

Back to Luke Cage watching, woo.
I was on this morning when it said 99 cents for the first 5 issues of power man and iron fist. But maybe it ended? It was apart of the Luke cage sale so yea the sale is probably over.

I am almost done with the show

Lol there will never be just one spider person. Hell marvel keeps making more tbh.

I see miles as the one to take over the mantle of Spider-man. Peter is evolving past the street level stuff. The next movie Spider-Man is definitely going to be black as well

Well I didn't say "Spider person." Obviously, yes. But even during the clone thing, Ben had to call himself Scarlet Spider. And back then Miguel wasn't running around current day New York calling himself Spider-Man. In Ultimate U Peter had to go before Miles became THE Spider-Man. This is a new approach.

"Definitely" is quite a stretch. They might do Miles, and they might do him as a replacement rather than his own thing. Or they might do one movie with both of them right before they reboot the whole universe and immediately bring back Peter. Nothing is certain here, not even close.

TheFlow

Banned
Miles has still his favor from Molecule Man left to bring bAck the Ultimate Universe when Bendis descides to want his own sandbox back and Miguel will go back to the everlasting year of 2099 where everyone will continue to not care about him when the book is canceled soon, beside the occasions Slott wants to do something with him.

And I think this is way better solution then the quadrillions of Spider-People that running currently around in 616.
Miles better not go back

TheFlow

Banned
Well I didn't say "Spider person." Obviously, yes. But even during the clone thing, Ben had to call himself Scarlet Spider. And back then Miguel wasn't running around current day New York calling himself Spider-Man. In Ultimate U Peter had to go before Miles became THE Spider-Man. This is a new approach.

"Definitely" is quite a stretch. They might do Miles, and they might do him as a replacement rather than his own thing. Or they might do one movie with both of them right before they reboot the whole universe and immediately bring back Peter. Nothing is certain here, not even close.
True but Movie wise we have to either get a reboot or new characters taking over for the legacy heroes.

Miles will probably become his own When he is older and adopt a new name.

tim1138

Ahah oooh shhhhiiiiit, you didn't did you. They were huge spoilers too I bet the books nearly done haha

Yeah...
It didn't shock me, but I still wish I hadn't read it. Stupid reading in trade and not knowing what issue I'm on. I just finished the tenth trade of Hell on Earth and now I have to wait for the library to get volumes 11-13.

Aceun

You know, they really only need a couple more Captain Americas to have a Civil War where both sides are all Captain America

WHY DO I WANT THIS!?

The Establishment
Steve Rogers (Captain America)
John Walker (US Agent)
Roberta Mendez (Captiain America 2099)
William Burnside (Grand Director)

The Independents
Sam Wilson (Captain America)
Bucky Barnes (Winter Soldier)
Danielle Cage (Future Captain America)
Jeffrey Mace (Patriot)

I can think of about twenty characters Bendis can have to form his own little universe where he doesn't have to worry about people giving him shit for not caring about continuity or the shared universe. He can have all of them before he can take Miles.

I love seeing Miles play in the big leagues way too much.

Yeah...
It didn't shock me, but I still wish I hadn't read it. Stupid reading in trade and not knowing what issue I'm on. I just finished the tenth trade of Hell on Earth and now I have to wait for the library to get volumes 11-13.

Haha well ill be avoiding all spoilers but I know what you mean, in terms of being shocked. I honestly wouldn't put anything past them. I expect everything to burn to the ground haha.

Also Damn, you have raced through them. I'm only at volume 12, we'll be at the same spot soon! Have you enjoyed hell on earth as much as plague of frogs? Did you pick up Abe after whatever volume that stuff kicked off with him or are you going to finish bprd first?

Sandfox

What leads you to believe these will stick when so many others didn't?
Off the top of my head:
-Miles and Kamala are obvious
-Jane is Marvel's most popular female character so I expect her to stick around somehow
-I expect Robbie to stick around since Ghost Rider hasn't been popular for a while and this version is more modern

A lot of the others depend on reception to their appearances in new books among other things.

Off the top of my head:
-Miles and Kamala are obvious
-Jane is Marvel's most popular female character so I expect her to stick around somehow
-I expect Robbie to stick around since Ghost Rider hasn't been popular for a while and this version is more modern

A lot of the others depend on reception to their appearances in new books among other things.

Oh, I thought we were talking about our favorite ships for a minute.

tim1138

Haha well ill be avoiding all spoilers but I know what you mean, in terms of being shocked. I honestly wouldn't put anything past them. I expect everything to burn to the ground haha.

Also Damn, you have raced through them. I'm only at volume 12, we'll be at the same spot soon! Have you enjoyed hell on earth as much as plague of frogs? Did you pick up Abe after whatever volume that stuff kicked off with him or are you going to finish bprd first?

I'm actually liking Hell on Earth more than Frogs, I like how fucked up everything is and all the crazy monsters. Plus
the fight between Liz and the Black Flame
was amazing. Abe is next up after I'm all caught up on BPRD, and then I'll move on to Lobster Johnson and Frankenstein. Somewhere between all this and the new Jonathan Safran Foer novel I need reread Hellboy in Hell vol 1.

Boogiepop

I'm actually liking Hell on Earth more than Frogs, I like how fucked up everything is and all the crazy monsters. Plus
the fight between Liz and the Black Flame
was amazing. Abe is next up after I'm all caught up on BPRD, and then I'll move on to Lobster Johnson and Frankenstein. Somewhere between all this and the new Jonathan Safran Foer novel I need reread Hellboy in Hell vol 1.

On the matter of that one, you'd largely be fine without it, but note that the Hellboy in Mexico trade (or just the House of the Living Dead story contained within) technically does lead into that one, and is worth reading either way.

tim1138

On the matter of that one, you'd largely be fine without it, but note that the Hellboy in Mexico trade (or just the House of the Living Dead story contained within) technically does lead into that one, and is worth reading either way.

The House of the Living Dead is in my stack to read.

Boogiepop

So, I read Spider-man: Ends of the Earth in my read-through of the Slott Spider-man I had on Comixology, and in turn that meant I actually read my first comic with Big Hero 6 in it as a result, which I wasn't expecting at all! Aren't the characters supposed to have a really low number of appearances in comics?

Anyway, that got me thinking... man, representation of minorities in general is far more important and it's cool to see that happening better lately, but Marvel/DC really do have an issue getting super-heroes in other (real life) countries than America to stick, don't they? Like, X-men is the one example that nailed making multi-cultural characters popular, but they kind of spend like all their time in the US anyway. It's just weird because whenever a comic needs to show a global crisis and pulls in international superheroes, it's generally D-listers or characters thrown together for that one arc. Like, what's the list of Marvel/DC characters anyone gives much of a damn about who don't spend most of their time in America or some fictional location? Because I feel like there really aren't that many...

The House of the Living Dead is in my stack to read.

Cool, just figured it was worth mentioning since that connection is especially easy to miss if you're just looking at the titles.

tim1138

Cool, just figured it was worth mentioning since that connection is especially easy to miss if you're just looking at the titles.

When I bought the Hellboy trades a few years back, I just bought the numbered volumes because of that very reason. I wasn't sure where the side story stuff fit into the chronology and figured it wasn't all that essential. It took me so long to read any of this stuff because the sheer number of volumes is pretty intimidating honestly, but it's been well worth the wait.

Top Bottom