• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Aceun

Champions #1

I'm gonna keep this as spoiler free, but hot damn is this what I wanted from a Marvel comic, especially considering what we're experiencing in CW2.

I just really believe in principled heroes and the spirit of the Champions resonates. We should be making our world better, not worse. Our heroes should be helping, not fighting each other. I'm sick and tired of this trend and it's great to see the new generation step up.

I also happen to LOVE all these characters. We get an assembling of heroes that feels natural and earned. It has heart and plenty of action to boot. They work so well together already! The final panels sheds a light on just how big this movement can be.

I have a digital copy, but I can't wait to pick up a physical copy and an obnoxious amount of variants later today.

smisk

Does Champions take place after CWII, or does it acknowledge it at all? This is the problem with these events getting so delayed...
Still these posts make me interested in it so I might have to pick it up as well.

Messi

Champions #1

I'm gonna keep this as spoiler free, but hot damn is this what I wanted from a Marvel comic, especially considering what we're experiencing in CW2.

I just really believe in principled heroes and the spirit of the Champions resonates. We should be making our world better, not worse. Our heroes should be helping, not fighting each other. I'm sick and tired of this trend and it's great to see the new generation step up.

I also happen to LOVE all these characters. We get an assembling of heroes that feels natural and earned. It has heart and plenty of action to boot. They work so well together already! The final panels sheds a light on just how big this movement can be.

I have a digital copy, but I can't wait to pick up a physical copy and an obnoxious amount of variants later today.

Does it spoil the end of Vision?

Like, what's the list of Marvel/DC characters anyone gives much of a damn about who don't spend most of their time in America or some fictional location? Because I feel like there really aren't that many...

While Morrison was writing JLA, Mark Millar wrote a great story featuring Martian Manhunter in one of the annuals or secret files oneshots. In that comic, J'Onzz became the most popular superhero in the Southern hemisphere and East Asia, because that's the section of the world he patrolled and covered. I loved that little detail and wish DC did more with that.

ElNarez

Banned
Midnighter/Apollo is one part Seven Soldiers tribute, one part More Of The Midnighter Solo Book, and one part I'm not even gonna tell you about because man, you need to see it.

It is THE GOOD SHIT, and Orlando is def. the best writer of 2016.

TheFlow

Banned
Midnighter/Apollo is one part Seven Soldiers tribute, one part More Of The Midnighter Solo Book, and one part I'm not even gonna tell you about because man, you need to see it.

Added to my pull

Messi

Tom King doesn't get a nod?

Messi

I've stanned for his Batman run in a way I never had to with any of Orlando's books. Shit, he's taken point on Night of the Monster Men and that has been fire.

Yeah but it's not just Batman. Orlando does great work but King is doing amazing things. Can't wait to read Midnighter and Apollo tho.

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah but it's not just Batman. Orlando does great work but King is doing amazing things. Can't wait to read Midnighter and Apollo tho.
King is not the only writer doing amazing things.

Edit: he has fierce competition marvel wise but a lot of books can be argued on the same level of not better.

His DC work with omega men and babylon is what makes him solid

TheFlow

Banned
Finished Luke cage last night.

Like all marvel shows the second half is the weakest but luke cage managed to bounce back better than the other shows.

8/10. I wanna give it a 9 but that would be me being a fanboy

First half of DD season 2
Luke cage
DD season 1
JJ

All awesome shows but I am praying I live long enough to see Luke and Danny become bros.

tim1138

Fingers crossed people actually buy it this time, so Orlando can keep writing it.

I concur 100% on him being the best writer of 2016.

Messi

King is not the only writer doing amazing things.

Edit: he has fierce competition marvel wise but a lot of books can be argued on the same level of not better.

His DC work with omega men and babylon is what makes him solid

I can't think of anyone at Marvel I'd put on his level with multiple books.

I also didn't say he was the only one doing amazing things. I think his greatness over multiple books is what puts him over the top for me.

TheFlow

Banned
The final fight was super akward
It was awesome imo
lets be rea luke cage having a street brawl is what he is about

I just wish the stuff leading up to it in the second half was done better. Episode 7-8 is when thing started to get jarring I believe

TheFlow

Banned
I can't think of anyone at Marvel I'd put on his level with multiple books.

I also didn't say he was the only one doing amazing things. I think his greatness over multiple books is what puts him over the top for me.
But King is only writing one book at marvel. I am not going to hold it against other writers if they only one boo. Especially when that book is hot fire. Like black panther had better writing than kings vision and I think Luke cage and iron fist is the best book on the market.

The man did two 12 issue books. That might as well be mini series too me

Messi

But King is only writing one book at marvel. I am not going to hold it against other writers if they only one boo. Especially when that book is hot fire. Like black panther had better writing than kings vision and I think Luke cage and iron fist is the best book on the market.

The man did two 12 issue books. That might as well be mini series too me

Marvel had a lot of mini series then huh?

I don't get what difference it being a mini series means especially when you have listed two books that haven't even hit that 12 issues.

At the end of the day it's opinion.

Aceun

Does Champions take place after CWII, or does it acknowledge it at all? This is the problem with these events getting so delayed...
Still these posts make me interested in it so I might have to pick it up as well.

It takes place after CW2. It acknowledges that it happened, but doesn't give any insight into the current status quo. There are a few minor things,
Both Nova and Spidey quit before Champions start and Tony is nowhere to be seen

Does it spoil the end of Vision?

It doesn't beyond what we already know from the solicitations.

TheFlow

Banned
It takes place after CW2. It acknowledges that it happened, but doesn't give any insight into the current status quo. There are a few minor things,
Both Nova and Spidey quit before Champions start and Tony is nowhere to be seen

It doesn't beyond what we already know from the solicitations.
Thank you for this.

Why did marvel do my boy
jamie
so dirty.

The ending of
Peter David's X-factor was so good. Him and layla were happy

Death of X #1:
Yeah, that made me legitimately angry, for the same reasons as yourself. PAD's X-Factor was a perfect ending for him. Some people just can't leave well enough alone.

What if we don't read solicits

Not considered spoilers under the policy though.

Not my favourite writer of the year, but it's hard to deny Tom King made a huge impact this year. Wrote two landmark intelligent cape books across both of the two largest publishers, put out a very well received creator owned book, and regardless of what people think, he got himself on batman. For a guy that was co-writing Grayson, that's crazy.

TheFlow

Banned
Not my favourite writer of the year, but it's hard to deny Tom King made a huge impact this year. Wrote two landmark intelligent cape books across both of the two largest publishers, put out a very well received creator owned book, and regardless of what people think, he got himself on batman. For a guy that was co-writing Grayson, that's crazy.
Amen. The man made a name for himself with 2 years of work.

All that is left for him is an image book

Messi

Not considered spoilers under the policy though.

That's great and all. I don't read them so I was just asking if the solicit had revealed anything. I have seen more than enough things in solicits in the past that I wish I didn't see.

Aceun

How does Champions handle Viv? She seems like... well, a really weird fit, considering.

It's a pretty natural explanation with a funny/awkward exchange to boot.

Adding spoilers for those super interested:

Essentially it's Cho's idea. Him and Viv play an online game together. She is called on to be the team's eyes and ears into the world.

Death of X #1:
Yeah, that made me legitimately angry, for the same reasons as yourself. PAD's X-Factor was a perfect ending for him. Some people just can't leave well enough alone.

Haha. I read the spoil tags for this book because I don't care that much. Pretty savage considering. They even mentioned recently that they had
written a death
that they took back out of their plans because they didn't want to fall into the trap of doing stuff like that for the sake of numbers or or anything.

Damn so many cool looking #1s today. It's a feast!

I nabbed Black, Cage, Cannibal, Champions, Death of Hawkman, Death of X, Green Valley, Jessica Jones, Midnighter and Apollo, Moonshine, Romulus, Shade, and Shipwreck. WHEW. Thirteen books to try :D

TheFlow

Banned
Damn so many cool looking #1s today. It's a feast!

I nabbed Black, Cage, Cannibal, Champions, Death of Hawkman, Death of X, Green Valley, Jessica Jones, Midnighter and Apollo, Moonshine, Romulus, Shade, and Shipwreck. WHEW. Thirteen books to try :D
Romulus looks like the book I have been waiting for

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't say that Champions spoils Vision 12.

If you've seen any of the Marvel Shattered Now previews or covers, you know as much about it as the actual book gives away
(re: who, if anyone, survives.)

Top Bottom