• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

tim1138

Damn so many cool looking #1s today. It's a feast!

I nabbed Black, Cage, Cannibal, Champions, Death of Hawkman, Death of X, Green Valley, Jessica Jones, Midnighter and Apollo, Moonshine, Romulus, Shade, and Shipwreck. WHEW. Thirteen books to try :D

Lemme know what that Hawkman book is like.

Shade was incredible, I'm really curious to see what people make of it.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
On this gorgeous release day??? Awww man I feel for ya :(

New teen team book!

New Jessica Jones! (And it's excellent!)

Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe!

Giant Days Volume 3!

Midnighter and Apollo!

Doctor Strange!

Superman!

Night of the Monster Men? (I haven't started this yet, actually, but still)

It truly is an embarrassment of riches.

Champions #1

Where's my crow? I enjoyed this far, far more than I thought I would. Very excited to see where it goes next.

Those cameos at the end, just teasing or hinting at future members? I mean, Nadia is out as she's on the main Avengers team, but the others all seem likely. Also, "Battlesmite"? Sounds like an unholy fusion of Battlerite and Smite. "Battleground of the Champions"!

New teen team book!

New Jessica Jones! (And it's excellent!)

Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe!

Giant Days Volume 3!

Midnighter and Apollo!

Doctor Strange!

Superman!

Night of the Monster Men? (I haven't started this yet, actually, but still)

It truly is an embarrassment of riches.

I completely forgot Squirrel Girl

AGAIN

Good gravy what a day.

Half watching the first Hellboy animated movie again since my kid is watching it. Some pretty cool Japanese folklore being channelled. Kate Corrigan is in it too, super awesome.

Also reading Conquerer Worm. Here is the claw!!!

Between rebirth stuff, young animal and the new wildstorm I'm going to be reading a ton of dc.

Edit: hahaha God Damn, I forgot so much about this movie. They incorporate the entire of the heads short story including the joke the Japanese dude tells Hellboy. Brilliant.

Champions #1

Where's my crow? I enjoyed this far, far more than I thought I would. Very excited to see where it goes next.

Those cameos at the end, just teasing or hinting at future members? I mean, Nadia is out as she's on the main Avengers team, but the others all seem likely. Also, "Battlesmite"? Sounds like an unholy fusion of Battlerite and Smite. "Battleground of the Champions"!

Appropriate use of spoiler tags. Thank you very much.

You're about to tackle DC Comics' chief superhero team, The Justice League of America. Spill: who is your favorite Leaguer.

That’s easy! Martian Manhunter is not just my favorite leaguer but my favorite DC Comics character.
Yep, J'onn seems likely on JLA.

Snyder twitter said:
Side note: just put some last touches on the big DC project I'm doing w/brother @GregCapullo for you guys summer 2017 & it's very very evil
Hmm...

Not sure about evil as a tease but he's said again and again over the last few years that if there's a character other than batsman that he's got a story idea for, it's WW. Would love to see the two of them on that book. Don't know if this is that though...
This is the only spoiler from him thus far. Looks like he's keeping things close to the chest until Capullo is back.
Spoiler is just that it'll be bigger cast, crazier, than anything we tried previously. Excited.

Lemme know what that Hawkman book is like.

I just read it. I have mixed feelings.

The book opens in media res and that stuff promises a really cool, intense story featuring two of my favorite DC characters. But then it jumps back to tell us
how one of these characters ended up there
and the book grinds to a halt here.

The art is good, it looks like a DC book. What elevates it is the use of color: red and blue are used very effectively to evoke this sense of a spacefaring adventure, and the light use of shadow makes the book feel both fresh and a little Silver Age.

Overall I don't think the issue is great on its own terms, but I am sold on the promise of those early scenes. I'm on board for now.

This is the only spoiler from him thus far. Looks like he's keeping things close to the chest until Capullo is back.

Hmmm. Who knows. I'd be inclined to guess that's another batman project purely because he isn't adding that it's something different, but certainly could be WW, if you.think back to Azzarellos take. I'm excited anyway ha!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
waiting til Vision 12 drops to read Champions is going to be torture with all these positive reviews

maybe i can finally read some AN X-Men & TAH to round out my knowledge of young cyke & chohulk

Holy shit, james stokoe doing an aliens book. That's amazing.
ALDO-Cover.jpg

Nice thing with him here, april: http://www.cbr.com/exclusive-james-stokoe-is-eager-to-giger-with-aliens-dead-orbit/

Finished Luke cage last night.

Like all marvel shows the second half is the weakest but luke cage managed to bounce back better than the other shows.

8/10. I wanna give it a 9 but that would be me being a fanboy

First half of DD season 2
Luke cage
DD season 1
JJ

All awesome shows but I am praying I live long enough to see Luke and Danny become bros.
I don't see why you're worried about how people will look at you as a fanboy. You're saying why you enjoyed it so much. It's why I put no stock in numerical ratings. They aren't worth anything.

Also, ranking half of one season of a two season show is the dumbest thing I've seen written in a while. Just put LC at the top like you want to. Don't front.

Was just about to share this. Never read any Aliens comics, but I love Alien/Aliens and James Stokoe, so I'm sold.

Haha sorry man. Awesome news. You should check out the Gibbons Mignola book. They put out a nice little HC awhile back. It's not long though.

Ribbons and Mongolia. Phone on a hot streak there.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone read Midnighter and Apollo yet? Is it good?

I don't have too much experience with them (outside of Midnighter in Grayson, and a few issues of his recent solo) and I really enjoyed it. Orlando is a great writer, and the art was great too. This has a ton of potential.

TheFlow

Banned
I don't see why you're worried about how people will look at you as a fanboy. You're saying why you enjoyed it so much. It's why I put no stock in numerical ratings. They aren't worth anything.

Also, ranking half of one season of a two season show is the dumbest thing I've seen written in a while. Just put LC at the top like you want to. Don't front.
Then fuck it Luke cage all the way. That show gave me life.

and yea like cage is a strong 9/10. Only two episodes I thought that were rather weak.

But yo if we get punisher next year as well I will be so happy

ElNarez

Banned
speaking of

as a white dude in his 20s from the nice suburbs of Paris, France, I feel wholly unqualified to talk about CAGE! by Genndy Tartakovsky

it had a solid
70s Cyclops
goof, but, it felt real uncomfortable, in the way Billy Crystal's "Jazz Man" character makes me feel uncomfortable

Max Landis makes a lot of bad storytelling choices with Green Valley #1, such as
infusing characters in a medieval fantasy setting with 21st century sardonic wit
, which can be done! It's not a crime. Rat Queens pulled it off. But...it's an art. And Rat Queens simply spawned too many books that try it. Also (big spoiler)
creating one lone female character, whose clear purpose from the moment she is introduced is to die and motivate the men
, that is a no no as far as I am concerned, and it's handled horribly to boot. Also
creating a weird gyrating sense of how powerful our main characters are
. Finally, not really offering any compelling twists. Probably a couple more but those are the ones that stick out. Can't recommend this one sadly.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
speaking of

as a white dude in his 20s from the nice suburbs of Paris, France, I feel wholly unqualified to talk about CAGE! by Genndy Tartakovsky

it had a solid
70s Cyclops
goof, but, it felt real uncomfortable, in the way Billy Crystal's "Jazz Man" character makes me feel uncomfortable

I was worried about that from the preview. It seems awfully regressive.

TheFlow

Banned
I am not expecting the Luke cage we love and adore now. I am expecting the full on 70s Luke cage going around busting fools up and being corny

speaking of

it had a solid
70s Cyclops

yeah didn't really have a big problem making this part of my More Like Marvel LATER book dropping initiative

ElNarez

Banned
I am not expecting the Luke cage we love and adore now. I am expecting the full on 70s Luke cage going around busting fools up and being corny

It is completely that, down to the
impromptu basketball sesh with local children
, but, it's 70s Luke Cage, in 2016, by this guy

bio_GenndyTartakovsky.jpg

and that's a throwback to an era that, in certain ways, most ways, if not all of the ways, is better left behind

shingi70

Banned
Death of Hawkman #1 was cool. I'm glad that this issue is more focused on strange than the titular hero. This seems like the good version of Anderyco and not his Batwoman counterpoint. Loprestti brings it on art and hopefully this lets him stretch his muscles the way his Metomorpho miniseries did.

I was confused about one thing is I recon that
Alana strange is of Ran, because I'm JLU she's human and Adam is bit of Slub and not the buck rogersntype.

Rebirth really reminds me of a few different periods but mostly the 80s DC Comics. Hoping this weekend we see some announcements for Firestorm, JSA, and the Outsiders.

ElNarez

Banned
I didn't touch Champions because I can't stand Ramos' art, and attempts at a certain form of political awareness from Waid, who, let us never lose sight of that, wrote goddamn Strange Fruit, ring super hollow.

Plus there was that interview about young Cyclops being like baby Hitler.

Death of Hawkman #1 was cool. I'm glad that this issue is more focused on strange than the titular hero. This seems like the good version of Anderyco and not his Batwoman counterpoint. Loprestti brings it on art and hopefully this lets him stretch his muscles the way his Metomorpho miniseries did.

I was confused about one thing is I recon that
Alana strange is of Ran, because I'm JLU she's human and Adam is bit of Slub and not the buck rogersntype.

Rebirth really reminds me of a few different periods but mostly the 80s DC Comics. Hoping this weekend we see some announcements for Firestorm, JSA, and the Outsiders.

I haven't read it yet but does it seem in the Rebirth like "world"?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't touch Champions because I can't stand Ramos' art, and attempts at a certain form of political awareness from Waid, who, let us never lose sight of that, wrote goddamn Strange Fruit, ring super hollow.

Plus there was that interview about young Cyclops being like baby Hitler.

There's a panel of Ms. Marvel's face that was particularly bad. I didn't like the coloring too much either. But the story and characterization were good enough to make up for it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Haha sorry man. Awesome news. You should check out the Gibbons Mignola book. They put out a nice little HC awhile back. It's not long though.

Ribbons and Mongolia. Phone on a hot streak there.
Ah yeah, I've at least been made aware of that. I'll add it to my [giant] list.

I should note, I've gotten all the DC mini series now too after reading some DiDio thing saying they're all character test balloons to see how they do so even if they don't have the Rebirth banner they're part of the same initiative.

Top Bottom