• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Malyse

If you like Emma Frost, read Clean Room.

----

Invincible Iron Man is so unsubtle. Like damn.
Really good issue though.

----

I'm exactly whelmed with Death of X.

Malyse

Oh, intriguing...what's this one about?

That's certainly a question...

It's about existential horror?
Astrid Mueller is the enigmatic and compelling guru of a giant self-help organization—a devastatingly powerful figure in the industry between psychology and religion. Journalist Chloe Pierce’s fiancé decided to pick up Astrid’s book, and within three months he was dead. Something in Astrid Mueller’s book made Philip blow his brains out all over Chloe’s new kitchen.

Now Chloe is on a mission to find out who Astrid Mueller really is. What is this Clean Room she’s been hearing about where your deepest fear and worst moments are revealed? Chloe intends to immerse herself in the Clean Room and wreak havoc on Astrid’s empire.
Astrid feels like how ideal!Emma would be written.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
So I briefly mentioned it earlier, but I keep thinking about it and I really loved Jessica Jones 1.

It really felt like the old stuff in all of the right ways, and represents Bendis at his best.

In the originals I always loved when she would be interviewing a new client and then some heroes would fly by, and seeing that done with Miles, Kamala and Sam was fantastic.

Finished rereading Hellboy volume 5: Conqueror Worm. Despite volume 6 being the volume that blows out all the lore that ends up powering the universe from that point on, it kind of sits on it's own little island (pun intended) between the past and the future. Volume 5 really reads like the end of the first leg of the journey for Hellboy, and no matter how many times I read the ending, it gives me the feels. I could write paragraphs about why it's so good, but lets just settle for it is good (and also I know I must be moving past where ever Tragicomedy is and I don't want to a spoil sport).. The Lobster makes his debut, Roger becomes a proper character, old nazi scores are settled, and there is some glorious lovecraftian madness. With Dave Stewart firmly seated as Mignola's cohort on art, there are some absolutely breathtaking panels.

I must write this all the time, but if anyone is interested in trying the series out, and is intimidated by the sheer volume, books 1 to 5 are a nice amount to jump in on. If you're jumping to continue, then brilliant. If you liked it enough but not enough to buy 20 odd volumes of books, you have a nice little complete story here that's actually pretty well tied up. If you hate it, well you are a hateful person but at least you didn't buy 12 volumes up front and discover you hated it 2 books in and wasted a lot of money. This volume is a nice milestone in the series, and a great individual story to book. Highly recommended.

Ah yeah, I've at least been made aware of that. I'll add it to my [giant] list.

ALSV-HC-4X61.jpg

Don't want to post another pic so quickly in the thread so I'll just link. Really awesome drawing of Etrigan by Max Fiumara: Click. He's actually auctioning it on ebay as part of the kirby4heroes campaign.

I must write this all the time, but if anyone is interested in trying the series out, and is intimidated by the sheer volume, books 1 to 5 are a nice amount to jump in on. If you're jumping to continue, then brilliant. If you liked it enough but not enough to buy 20 odd volumes of books, you have a nice little complete story here that's actually pretty well tied up. If you hate it, well you are a hateful person but at least you didn't buy 12 volumes up front and discover you hated it 2 books in and wasted a lot of money. This volume is a nice milestone in the series, and a great individual story to book. Highly recommended.
I plan to dip a toe into the Mignolaverse at some point so I'll keep this in mind when I finally check it out. It's been on my to-read list for a while now but other stuff keeps jumping the line :p

Shaanyboi

Banned
The new Deadman is $6? What happened to "hold the line at 2.99"?

Anyway, I'm holding off on buying stuff for the inevitable NYCC sale on Comixology this weekend

I plan to dip a toe into the Mignolaverse at some point so I'll keep this in mind when I finally check it out. It's been on my to-read list for a while now but other stuff keeps jumping the line :p

Awesome man, glad to hear it! The last Hellboy trade is shipping later this month, so it's a pretty great time.

I don't know about the price, but I'm sure it's a 3 issue series with extra length issues. It's not a normal series.

This isn't a word I like to throw around a lot, but it's really the best way to describe Cage: problematic.

The writer and artist on this are both white, too, right? Eeeesh Marvel, what the fuck

tim1138

Anyway, I'm holding off on buying stuff for the inevitable NYCC sale on Comixology this weekend

Because it's a double sized prestige format book. Each issue is ~50 pages, and the print copies should be square bound with higher quality paper and such.

I thought it was decent. I'm not a huge Azz fan but there is enough weirdness at the fringes of this to keep me on the hook for at least one more issue.

Sounds like I can pass for now. May check it out when the first trade is out.

Then fuck it Luke cage all the way. That show gave me life.

Luke Cage was fantastic. I think I still liked Jessica Jones a bit more, but this is definitely right behind it.

Oh, intriguing...what's this one about?

I've been reading Clean Room since the first issue. Messi bailed but I like it. It follows a woman's investigation of a scientology-like organization after the death of her husband (who was a member), and dips into horror from there.

yeah.
fuck the internet.

I don't even....

is this month's IIM a Riri issue or not?

I would like to know this too.

Owzers

Finished Deadly Class vol 2:
so there's a whole group of Old Man Logan rapey hulks, how did Remender know this is what i secretly wanted? If this section has ended and we are moving on to the Cartel for the next volume, the transition seemed to be over quickly and the Animal Petter died in a similar fashion of a tv show i had watched recently that will not be named. The comic book store scene was hilarious and also felt out of place.

Overall, this book is weird.

Champions #1 was an enjoyable first issue but I found it to be standard fare. I actually can't think of much to say about it, it was so by the numbers. I do like the team and the concept and I think the potential is here for something great.

The complaints about it being too political are SUPER ridiculous, it's like
one panel and it's only using modern events to frame completely normal and uncontroversial super hero ideals
. You have to squint and turn the book upside down to find an agenda here.

Regarding spoilers. The Vision details are light but if you want a pristine experience for the finale, hold off on this book. There are also some details about where the relationships of the ANAD squad land in the wake of Civil War II, and some of those details may surprise you, but ultimately it's not a huge thing. Nothing comparable to the end of Invincible Iron Man #1 last year.

Edit: one thing that bugged me a TON:
Nova dropping an ARMED COSTUMED PSYCHO into a crowd of people, shouting "don't let him get away!" and zipping off without so much as a backwards glance. Surprise surprise, the villain takes a hostage! And nobody even mentions what a colossal fuck up this was.
lol

Finished Deadly Class vol 2:
so there's a whole group of Old Man Logan rapey hulks, how did Remender know this is what i secretly wanted? If this section has ended and we are moving on to the Cartel for the next volume, the transition seemed to be over quickly and the Animal Petter died in a similar fashion of a tv show i had watched recently that will not be named. The comic book store scene was hilarious and also felt out of place.

Overall, this book is weird.

The comic book store stuff was hilarious. I liked Volume 1 but 2 is the one that really won me over.

CazTGG

Cross-posting this from the Marvel thread RE: Champions 2016:
Champions #1: As far as first issues go, it's a solid start to this new team. Waid does a great job establishing the team dynamics i.e. the characters' relationships and roles (Kamala being unofficially in charge is nice touch given how badly the last time she was involved with superhuman individuals went in her book) while showcasing how much work the team has to do before they live up to their name with a good dose of humor to boot. That said, there are some odd faces to be found (evil-looking Kamala in the first few panels and the Hulk looking like a Looney Toons character with their catoonishly unhinged jaw on a later page to name a few) among the generally well-drawn and detailed artwork are a touch on the distracting side and the impetus for Kamala to leave the Avengers, while understandable, can't help but feel a touch contrived considering all the events that took place before it that could have caused her to quit like Spidey and Nova did before. Still, it's a highly promising beginning to what looks like a fun Titans-esque tale of teens trying to do good in a world with so much bad in it. While the heroes might not live up to it just yet, the comic certainly lives up to the name of Champions.

Still can't get over those face though...
L7Fvra3.png

Luke Cage is pretty good,
boy did E07 take a fucking turn I was not expecting. And E08 opening with The Warriors homage was godlike

Top Bottom