• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Foofaraw

Snipes all the way.

Street level blade <3. Hell Wesley could reprise his role but with the plot twist of having a teen daughter.

NOOOOOOOO!!!! Really just on the Snipes front. I can't imagine anyone wanting to work with him. Michael Jai White? A complete unknown. Idris Elba as every single black character and most white ones in the MCU?

No way in hell they'd nail the visuals.

I thought the super stark visuals was more a product of the Ellis run, not anything central to the character. Moon Knight would be a better Batman TV show than Gotham, at least.

Jessica Jones #1: Can Bendis please stick to writing books like this, and not superhero events or team books that are completely unsuited to his strengths as a writer?

Also, Apollo/Midnighter. Holy shit
Extrano cameo

JTripper

Max Landis makes a lot of bad storytelling choices with Green Valley #1, such as
infusing characters in a medieval fantasy setting with 21st century sardonic wit
, which can be done! It's not a crime. Rat Queens pulled it off. But...it's an art. And Rat Queens simply spawned too many books that try it. Also (big spoiler)
creating one lone female character, whose clear purpose from the moment she is introduced is to die and motivate the men
, that is a no no as far as I am concerned, and it's handled horribly to boot. Also
creating a weird gyrating sense of how powerful our main characters are
. Finally, not really offering any compelling twists. Probably a couple more but those are the ones that stick out. Can't recommend this one sadly.

I agree with your criticisms, but the honestly the one that bothered me the most is the
modern banter
which I think I can get used to since I thought the dialogue was better in the latter half of the issue than at the start. As far as the
female character goes, I think Landis is presenting something kind of cliche and conventional on purpose for the first issue. That could relate to the seemingly over-powered main cast too, but we'll see.
I like Landis' writing a lot if American Alien is anything to go by alone, and the way he talks about writing from his twitter and youtube "rants" make it apparent to me that he's aware of the kind of storytelling elements you bring up. The way he teases where this series will go makes me pretty optimistic, so I'm gonna stick with it for now.

TheFlow

Banned
NOOOOOOOO!!!! Really just on the Snipes front. I can't imagine anyone wanting to work with him. Michael Jai White? A complete unknown. Idris Elba as every single black character and most white ones in the MCU?

I thought the super stark visuals was more a product of the Ellis run, not anything central to the character. Moon Knight would be a better Batman TV show than Gotham, at least.
True. The world isn't ready for a moon knight show

I think we are getting a Luke cage season 2 so I don't think we will get a heroes for hire in 2018. :/

So JJ 2 DD3 and a new series for 2018?

I agree with your criticisms, but the honestly the one that bothered me the most is the
modern banter
which I think I can get used to since I thought the dialogue was better in the latter half of the issue than at the start. As far as the
female character goes, I think Landis is presenting something kind of cliche and conventional on purpose for the first issue. That could relate to the seemingly over-powered main cast too, but we'll see.
I like Landis' writing a lot if American Alien is anything to go by alone, and the way he talks about writing from his twitter and youtube "rants" make it apparent to me that he's aware of the kind of storytelling elements you bring up. The way he teases where this series will go makes me pretty optimistic, so I'm gonna stick with it for now.

That's an interesting take. I won't be pulling the next issue but I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions, I do hope he pulls it off if that's what he's aiming for.

Foofaraw

True. The world isn't ready for a moon knight show

I think we are getting a Luke cage season 2 so I don't think we will get a heroes for hire in 2018. :/

So JJ 2 DD3 and a new series for 2018?

New series is just Heroes for Hire? Please? I want this so bad, it hurts. I need Danny to ask Luke to go grab some coffee.

Vic_Viper

How is Death of X and Champions? Not a fan of the art for DoX but still want to see what happened.

And yes please to a Heroes for hire show instead of Cage season 2.

How is Death of X and Champions? Not a fan of the art for DoX but still want to see what happened.

And yes please to a Heroes for hire show instead of Cage season 2.

The only reason to read Death of X is to find out what happened. There's nothing to recommend in the writing or even the art.

Champions is off to a much more promising start.

Foofaraw

I smiled at this. but we gotta see how they write Danny next year.

I swear to Thor, if we get a dour fiddle faddle Iron Fist, I'll have a stroke. I loved all the
kung fu movie talk
in what I've seen of Luke Cage so far.

Here's another thought, Heroes for Hire as a one off movie. 2 hours, less conflict with schedules, and I still have to go see my doctor to make sure I don't have a heart condition after it.

Jessica Jones #1: Can Bendis please stick to writing books like this, and not superhero events or team books that are completely unsuited to his strengths as a writer?

Well with Marvel Now he's down to just writing JJ, Miles' title, and the two Iron-Man books so it looks like that is going to be the plan.

TheFlow

Banned
I swear to Thor, if we get a dour fiddle faddle Iron Fist, I'll have a stroke. I loved all the
kung fu movie talk
in what I've seen of Luke Cage so far.

Here's another thought, Heroes for Hire as a one off movie. 2 hours, less conflict with schedules, and I still have to go see my doctor to make sure I don't have a heart condition after it.
I think heroes for hire coming out of Defenders is going to make so much sense.

All-New Wolverine #13 was okay. Nice to be free of CWII but kind of a boring start.
Trigger scent? Again? How many times we gonna do this story.
Hopefully they have an interesting spin on it in the next issue, but no sign of that here.

PsychBat!

Banned
3867935-moon+knight+ghost+busting+4.jpg

They'll never do this.

fuck I haven't had a chance to read it yet was hoping it wasn't a continuation of how shit the X books have been :(

least I bought Vision vol 1 from the Champions sale

Ya know, call me a sucker, call me a gullible fool who keeps letting Lucy swipe the football away, but despite how shitty DoX was, I am more optimistic about the X-Men than I have been in a very long time. I have high hopes for where these books are gonna be after these two events.

Enjoy that Vision trade. Top tier comics.

diaspora

I always thought Moon Knight could be done if it were visually like Hannibal.

edit: if it's possible to do American Gods...

Amazing Spider-Man #19: HUGE improvement over the past several issues. THIS feels like a proper prologue.
What a heartbreaking issue. The emotional beats were note perfect from start to finish. Though I knew deep down how it had to end, man, I was with Peter every step of the way...his desperate hopes for conventional methods, the construction worker save while time ran out, the clock...damn. I audibly gasped when he dropped it. The look on Jonah's face on that final page is burned into my brain. And it's written so well, there was no win possible here for Peter. Point to the Jackal and New U no matter what happened.

Great, GREAT backup too. One of the best issues of this volume, really, and up there among the best Slott Spider-Man stories.

Sandfox

I haven't read DoX, but it seems like it did a good job of getting people into the Cyclops mindset and read for war in IvX lol. I really just want to find out more about the new status quo for both groups, but it's too early for us to get more info.

Ya know, call me a sucker, call me a gullible fool who keeps letting Lucy swipe the football away, but despite how shitty DoX was, I am more optimistic about the X-Men than I have been in a very long time. I have high hopes for where these books are gonna be after these two events.

Me too lol. After IvX the mist should be gone as well as the issues between the two groups.

Hagi

I mean the idea that they will hopefully move on from this horrible Inhumans/Mutant feud after IvX fills me with hope as well so you aren't the only person standing on the edge. X-men deserve better.

All I've heard is praise for Vision so looking forward to diving in. Bought ANAD Nova vol 1 as well because I have grown to like the little chuckle head.

Sandfox

Amazing Spider-Man #19: HUGE improvement over the past several issues. THIS feels like a proper prologue.
What a heartbreaking issue. The emotional beats were note perfect from start to finish. Though I knew deep down how it had to end, man, I was with Peter every step of the way...his desperate hopes for conventional methods, the construction worker save while time ran out, the clock...damn. I audibly gasped when he dropped it. The look on Jonah's face on that final page is burned into my brain. And it's written so well, there was no win possible here for Peter. Point to the Jackal and New U no matter what happened.

Great, GREAT backup too. One of the best issues of this volume, really, and up there among the best Slott Spider-Man stories.
Next week is going to be amazing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I assume every one saw the gwenpool page shitting on Bendis?

I think heroes for hire coming out of Defenders is going to make so much sense.

Ehhhhhh

I feel like LC sorta repudiated the idea of heroes for hire, that when people need help stopping to ask for money is about the last thing you should do. He repeatedly rejected compensation or requests to act as protection.

One thing I really think they should do with Iron Fist is give him a drama-free backstory, or at least a drama-free childhood. Just to contrast with the rest of the Defenders. Don't know if that lines up with the comics, though.

Anyone still reading Future Quest?

I'm about to start in on the issues I've missed. I'm a few behind.

Ehhhhhh

I feel like LC sorta repudiated the idea of heroes for hire, that when people need help stopping to ask for money is about the last thing you should do. He repeatedly rejected compensation or requests to act as protection.

One thing I really think they should do with Iron Fist is give him a drama-free backstory, or at least a drama-free childhood. Just to contrast with the rest of the Defenders. Don't know if that lines up with the comics, though.

Hmmm. Well I haven't watched LC yet. Probably won't get a chance until the end of the month. But I can think of a few things that might change his mind. Heck depending on how that was presented it could even be interpreted as foreshadowing? Maybe?

Danny's childhood is a long way from "drama free" but it's safe to say it'll have an entirely different flavor to it.

Next week is going to be amazing.

Are we finally THERE?? Is it starting?!?!

Edit: OMG IT IS!!!

&#12298;celebratory gif.gif&#12299;

Messi

I went into a dunkin doughnuts today and Jeremy Haun was in there. I also used the urinal next to Declan shalvey at the airport lol. What.

TheFlow

Banned
Ehhhhhh

I'm about to start in on the issues I've missed. I'm a few behind.
That is where Danny comes in. He is going to sugar luke up.

also Danny is definitely going to have probably the worst childhood out of everyone. He loses both his parents, ends up in a different world, and gets literally bitch slapped for years into a martial artist. Like damn mane

Messi

If thats regarding my question we had a open discussion regarding that a few weeks ago, so I thought that would be ok...

It's regarding the fact that I don't read solicits and was wondering if those had spoiled anything. Don't read so much into things.

Looking over the solicits for next week god fucking damn. How is every week amazing these days

Comics are in such a good place, my friends. No it's not perfect, but it never is. Every week there are at least half a dozen books I'm incredibly excited about.

Hey guys, my girlfriend wants to read some graphic novels. She never has before, but she's hoping I could give her some to dive into. She's a voracious reader and likes Batman in a cursory way.

I was planning on giving her Blankets by Craig Thompson, because I think she'll really enjoy the story, but I was hoping to get some more recommendations from you all!

Staying away from the superhero stuff right now, only because I'm not sure what to hand her that is self contained and has less punchy punchy while focusing more on relationships, psychology, and that sort of thing. But recommendations are welcome if you can think of anything! I especially was hoping to give her something Superman related, he's my guy, but can't decide what she would like.

Her favorite books are Infinite Jest and The Sound and the Fury if that helps(?)

TheFlow

Banned
Looking over the solicits for next week god fucking damn. How is every week amazing these days

Comics are in such a good place, my friends. No it's not perfect, but it never is. Every week there are at least half a dozen books I'm incredibly excited about.
Honestly this would be the golden age of comics of the prices weren't so pricey for single issues

VanWinkle

Reading Earth 2. Stuff is GREAT. Man. I read volume one a long time ago but I re-read it today because it's been so long. On the plus side, I see so many more JSA parallels and characters that completely passed me by the first time I read it.

Top Bottom