• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
My LCS was running a buy Champions #1 get Death of X #1 for free.

Emotional response:

YyWCgu.gif

tim1138

Everytime I see the thread title I think it's a reference to the old X-Ray Spex song "Oh Bondage! Up Yours!" and then I feel sad when I realize it's not.

Been doing a couple pieces for Inktober. Mostly comics focused because thats who I am

Ill be doing an Apollo and Midnighter one so Tim will stop texting me at night. They say appeasement isn't a good strategy for tyrants but we will see! Taking requests since Ill have to do 31 of these total

edit: I ordered UXM omnibus vol 2 which will complete my UXM omnibus collection. Wee. Those things can sell out quick for expensive books

Finished Luke Cage last night, and liked it... Though I think it's my least favourite of the Netflix/Marvel shows. I like Cage, but his fighting is a bit "HULK SMASH" -- it's just not as visually exciting as martial arts.

I thought Cottonmouth was a great villain. Sinister, charismatic, unpredictable.
Diamondback however was just fucking goofy. Especially after he put his super jumpsuit on. All you could see was his goofy smile beneath that visor, and it was not menacing at all. I did burst out laughing when he said "Bye Felicia" though.

Loved Misty. Loved Claire. Loved the live music in Harlem's Paradise. I liked the music

Death of X #1: Oh fuck this so far

If the goal here is to make me hate the Inhumans by the time IvX rolls around, they're off to a great start! The terrigen cloud is such a bullshit plot device and if there is one good thing that comes out of these two events, it would be the elimination of that crap for good.

Also maybe don't shine such a bright and direct light on the absurd double standard in the Marvel universe with regards to mutants and ANYONE ELSE with powers. There's a scene here where an inhuman emerges from a cocoon and immediately unleashes an uncontrolled and potent power on a crowd, which is supposed to be one of the big reasons people hate mutants but I guess if they're coming out of a cocoon it's your own fault for being in the area? WHEN are we going to see the civilians of the Marvel universe turn on the fucking Inhumans? It's overdue.

Fuck off with killing one of the best X-Men for no damn reason here. The silver lining is he's a hard one to keep down, but it's still a garbage move for a cheap shocker.

TheFlow

Banned
Death of X #1: Oh fuck this so far

If the goal here is to make me hate the Inhumans by the time IvX rolls around, they're off to a great start! The terrigen cloud is such a bullshit plot device and if there is one good thing that comes out of these two events, it would be the elimination of that crap for good.

Also maybe don't shine such a bright and direct light on the absurd double standard in the Marvel universe with regards to mutants and ANYONE ELSE with powers. There's a scene here where an inhuman emerges from a cocoon and immediately unleashes an uncontrolled and potent power on a crowd, which is supposed to be one of the big reasons people hate mutants but I guess if they're coming out of a cocoon it's your own fault for being in the area? WHEN are we going to see the civilians of the Marvel universe turn on the fucking Inhumans? It's overdue.

Fuck off with killing one of the best X-Men for no damn reason here. The silver lining is he's a hard one to keep down, but it's still a garbage move for a cheap shocker.
Lol why do I keep reading the spoilers for this. Ughhh

Tizoc

Finished rereading Hellboy volume 5: Conqueror Worm. Despite volume 6 being the volume that blows out all the lore that ends up powering the universe from that point on, it kind of sits on it's own little island (pun intended) between the past and the future. Volume 5 really reads like the end of the first leg of the journey for Hellboy, and no matter how many times I read the ending, it gives me the feels. I could write paragraphs about why it's so good, but lets just settle for it is good (and also I know I must be moving past where ever Tragicomedy is and I don't want to a spoil sport).. The Lobster makes his debut, Roger becomes a proper character, old nazi scores are settled, and there is some glorious lovecraftian madness. With Dave Stewart firmly seated as Mignola's cohort on art, there are some absolutely breathtaking panels.

I must write this all the time, but if anyone is interested in trying the series out, and is intimidated by the sheer volume, books 1 to 5 are a nice amount to jump in on. If you're jumping to continue, then brilliant. If you liked it enough but not enough to buy 20 odd volumes of books, you have a nice little complete story here that's actually pretty well tied up. If you hate it, well you are a hateful person but at least you didn't buy 12 volumes up front and discover you hated it 2 books in and wasted a lot of money. This volume is a nice milestone in the series, and a great individual story to book. Highly recommended.

dal;kfgnadmfh;ldkry;hlsdh n;ljeh;lehr ;lneh
EDIT: This was from 1993? So it got a reprint last year, gonna go grab it.

Dusknoir

I wish marvel comics were cheaper...
I just read Power man and Iron fist 1-5. I loved it. Never read a Luke cage comic before but from impressions I can tell this is a older Luke; One not like the show on Netflix.
I was lucky enough to get it on the cmx sale.

I wish marvel comics were cheaper...
I just read Power man and Iron fist 1-5. I loved it. Never read a Luke cage comic before but from impressions I can tell this is a older Luke; One not like the show on Netflix.
I was lucky enough to get it on the cmx sale.

If you're mostly concerned with price, Marvel Unlimited is great value. They currently have a free month with code NY16 at checkout (open to cancelled subs as well, so I hopped on myself).

Boogiepop

My Big Time onwards Slott read-through of Spider-man stuff I have on Comixology finally took me up through Spider-verse, and I honestly enjoyed that. I definitely would've preferred it to have focused more on reveling in the insanity instead of putting so much attention on the kind of generic and super strong for reasons I don't understand villains who are derived from that era of Spider-man I thought everyone really, really hated. (I haven't read the whole Spider totem/Ezekiel/weird powers and all that junk part of Spider-man history, but I really haven't heard good things, so it feels weird to have the core of the event kind of anchored in that).

I mean, if nothing else, tokusatsu Spider-man and his Leopardon played more of an actual role than I thought they would, so that's cool. (I knew Leopardon was in there, but I had been led to believe by something or other that it was just a one-panel cameo.) Oh, and Mayday made it out better than I was expecting from the beginning, so that was also nice.

dal;kfgnadmfh;ldkry;hlsdh n;ljeh;lehr ;lneh
EDIT: This was from 1993? So it got a reprint last year, gonna go grab it.

Hahaha wat? I think the conqueror worm was around 2001, the original seed of destruction was 1993. I'm not sure if I missed a joke here though lol. Also dude I remember you making the Hellboy ot back in the day, I thought you'd be further by.now!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hahaha wat? I think the conqueror worm was around 2001, I'm not sure if I missed a joke here though lol. Also dude I remember you making the Hellboy ot back in the day, I thought you'd be further by.now!
Tizoc was quoting your image of Aliens: Salvation, it just didn't carry over because it was quoting a quote.

Tizoc was quoting your image of Aliens: Salvation, it just didn't carry over because it was quoting a quote.

Hahaha okay! Makes much more sense now, I knew I was missing something. I was like I'm sure Tiz knows his HB too

Yea the aliens book got a nice reprint, it's similar to the midnight circus HC

Malyse

Any Shade impressions yet?
I dun liek it.
It could get good, but right now it's just too out there for my taste.
Champions #1

Where's my crow? I enjoyed this far, far more than I thought I would. Very excited to see where it goes next.

Those cameos at the end, just teasing or hinting at future members? I mean, Nadia is out as she's on the main Avengers team, but the others all seem likely. Also, "Battlesmite"? Sounds like an unholy fusion of Battlerite and Smite. "Battleground of the Champions"!
Bullshit. People can be on two teams. I'll accept an adjunct member.

I didn't touch Champions because I can't stand Ramos' art, and attempts at a certain form of political awareness from Waid, who, let us never lose sight of that, wrote goddamn Strange Fruit, ring super hollow.

Plus there was that interview about young Cyclops being like baby Hitler.

I mean, you should read it before you make that judgement and Tyklops is the teen version of the current biggest mutant terrorist around.

Ramos art though...

When it works, it works well, but sometimes it doesn't work.
Cross-posting this from the Marvel thread RE: Champions 2016:
and in this case it's not working.

So I briefly mentioned it earlier, but I keep thinking about it and I really loved Jessica Jones 1.

It really felt like the old stuff in all of the right ways, and represents Bendis at his best.

In the originals I always loved when she would be interviewing a new client and then some heroes would fly by, and seeing that done with Miles, Kamala and Sam was fantastic.

I just finished Pulse so I could read JJ. Really good issue. Also, it's fun that they were teasing Civil War back in 2005.

Champions #1 was an enjoyable first issue but I found it to be standard fare. I actually can't think of much to say about it, it was so by the numbers. I do like the team and the concept and I think the potential is here for something great.

The complaints about it being too political are SUPER ridiculous, it's like
one panel and it's only using modern events to frame completely normal and uncontroversial super hero ideals
. You have to squint and turn the book upside down to find an agenda here.

Regarding spoilers. The Vision details are light but if you want a pristine experience for the finale, hold off on this book. There are also some details about where the relationships of the ANAD squad land in the wake of Civil War II, and some of those details may surprise you, but ultimately it's not a huge thing. Nothing comparable to the end of Invincible Iron Man #1 last year.

Edit: one thing that bugged me a TON:
Nova dropping an ARMED COSTUMED PSYCHO into a crowd of people, shouting "don't let him get away!" and zipping off without so much as a backwards glance. Surprise surprise, the villain takes a hostage! And nobody even mentions what a colossal fuck up this was.
lol

He is going to be the team fuckup #callingit.

----

I think we are at the point where the delays in CW2 are causing plot points to be offhandedly outed in other books. For example
Invincible Iron Man #14 all but tells you that Tony dies, and seems to be fulfilling a "last days of Tony Stark" plot.
The same can be said of
Champions making it clear that ain't shit gonna happen to Miles. Not that anyone would expect it to. Oh and the Viv and Vision are the Last Men Standing from The Vision.
They aren't outright spoilers, but I'm inferring a hell of a lot more than I would normally.

Champions was great. I like how they put
all those character cameos in there so Marvel can just move them over to Champions when their individual solo books get cancelled.

shingi70

Banned
Aquaman #8 was pretty great and its constantly in my top three DC books every month. Eaton kills it on art giving us some nice underwater action, but the meat of the story right now is the Mera plotline with the Widowhood. Black Manta is such a deliciously douchey badguy

ElNarez

Banned
I mean, you should read it before you make that judgement and Tyklops is the teen version of the current biggest mutant terrorist around.

you say terrorist, I say the last hope of his people against oppression

and, also: I'm the one guy who's totally bored of Mark Waid

but also also, Strange Fruit was the clumsiest attempt at being A Comic With Things To Say About The Problems

look

this is a 2015 comic

shingi70

Banned
Both Power Man/Iron Fist and Jessica Jones are good books on a paper, but I'd rather read a book about the cage family and not books that equate too Luke and Jessica are having Middle age crisises

Yea I did not see that coming

That plot twist is everything.

It's weird, because I never hated Cottonmouth. Like, he did some bad shit, but I never really hated him. I didn't dislike him, and his constant fuck-ups just made him tenacious. It made it all very personal. And then the flashback just made me feel bad for him. Then WHAM comes Mariah and her talking to Mabel's picture and shit. And then straight up pedophilia, incest, and murder in about a minute.

E10 also has a pretty hefty twist in it, too. With it turning out that Reva was playing Luke for literally the entire time. Don't feel so bad, in retrospect.

Still, I'm only just finishing E10 and then I got shit to do.

Top Bottom