• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Hey guys, my girlfriend wants to read some graphic novels. She never has before, but she's hoping I could give her some to dive into. She's a voracious reader and likes Batman in a cursory way.

I was planning on giving her Blankets by Craig Thompson, because I think she'll really enjoy the story, but I was hoping to get some more recommendations from you all!

Staying away from the superhero stuff right now, only because I'm not sure what to hand her that is self contained and has less punchy punchy while focusing more on relationships, psychology, and that sort of thing. But recommendations are welcome if you can think of anything! I especially was hoping to give her something Superman related, he's my guy, but can't decide what she would like.

Her favorite books are Infinite Jest and The Sound and the Fury if that helps(?)

A little more information that would be helpful:
-Are you only looking for work that is already finished?
-Are you only looking for single volume stories?
-Are you interested in super hero stuff that isn't from the big 2? There are a lot of unconventional super hero stories out there, many of them great.

You mention Superman but also say no super heroes? Some unconventional Superman stories (that are self contained and single volume): Red Son, For All Seasons, All-Star. Maybe check those out.

Shade the Changing Girl #1:

YS4GmFn.gif

mreddie

Looking over the solicits for next week god fucking damn. How is every week amazing these days

Comics are in such a good place, my friends. No it's not perfect, but it never is. Every week there are at least half a dozen books I'm incredibly excited about.

If only Marvoo cuts the books down a buck and DC has better Rebirth books.

TheFlow

Banned
Hey guys, my girlfriend wants to read some graphic novels. She never has before, but she's hoping I could give her some to dive into. She's a voracious reader and likes Batman in a cursory way.

I was planning on giving her Blankets by Craig Thompson, because I think she'll really enjoy the story, but I was hoping to get some more recommendations from you all!

Staying away from the superhero stuff right now, only because I'm not sure what to hand her that is self contained and has less punchy punchy while focusing more on relationships, psychology, and that sort of thing. But recommendations are welcome if you can think of anything! I especially was hoping to give her something Superman related, he's my guy, but can't decide what she would like.

Her favorite books are Infinite Jest and The Sound and the Fury if that helps(?)
Blankets is an all time great but the new superman is a good place to start. Just tell her the basics of it before she reads it

Ugh. I need to go through my CMX library and make a list of my favorite stuff to recommend to people. Or just archive all the middling stuff I will never revisit. Or both. It's become impossible to wade through all this looking for the right book to recommend.

Edit: Netflix ratings have been worthless to me for years but I'd LOVE a rating system in CMX. I know they used to have something like that (maybe they still do?) but I need to be able to sort my books by rating for it to be useful.

Edit2: Yeah I guess it's still there but it does appear to be useless on a personal level

A little more information that would be helpful:
-Are you only looking for work that is already finished?
-Are you only looking for single volume stories?
-Are you interested in super hero stuff that isn't from the big 2? There are a lot of unconventional super hero stories out there, many of them great.

You mention Superman but also say no super heroes? Some unconventional Superman stories (that are self contained and single volume): Red Son, For All Seasons, All-Star. Maybe check those out.

- Already finished, yeah. I think I would want to hand her a complete story.
- Again, yeah. Probably nothing too aggressive in length or commitment
- I think so! I'm a big fan of Invincible, but that sprawled out a little too much for me to recommend to her.

- Sorry I wasn't clear; I meant that yes I am trying to stay away from superheroes but I'm open to unconventional superhero stories if people feel strongly about them.

You know, I haven't read Red Son in so long that I don't even remember how important it is to be knowledgeable about established Superman mythos. I definitely need to go back and look at For All Seasons because I remember loving it. All Star I think might be better for fans of Superman than a newbie, but I'll re-look at it too!

Also considering Superman: Secret Identity. I think she might like that story; it's just different enough.

Blankets is an all time great but the new superman is a good place to start. Just tell her the basics of it before she reads it

It really is.

I'll look into New Supes! I've been a little busy and actually haven't been keeping up with it.

TheFlow

Banned
- I think so! I'm a big fan of Invincible, but that sprawled out a little too much for me to recommend to her.

- Sorry I wasn't clear; I meant that yes I am trying to stay away from superheroes but I'm open to unconventional superhero stories if people feel strongly about them.

You know, I haven't read Red Son in so long that I don't even remember how important it is to be knowledgeable about established Superman mythos. I definitely need to go back and look at For All Seasons because I remember loving it. All Star I think might be better for fans of Superman than a newbie, but I'll re-look at it too!

Also considering Superman: Secret Identity. I think she might like that story; it's just different enough.

It really is.

I'll look into New Supes! I've been a little busy and actually haven't been keeping up with it.
Yea now that I think about it the new superman really is perfect for everyone. Once you get past the backstory of the new 52 superman dying

It really is.

Yeah you're right, All-Star needs at least some general super hero knowledge to work, and you need some background in Superman for it to sing. My bad. Just flies out of my mouth when people want a self-contained Supes story ha ha ;)

Scrolling through my books right now, trying to find a few good fits for her.

PsychBat!

Banned
Scrolling through my books right now, trying to find a few good fits for her.
W̩̬̤͔͉a҉͓̟̜̦ͅn̡t̵̤̳͉͙̬ ̵͈͙͍̦̙s̮̻̟o̢̹̟̫͉̥m͈̺̗ͅę̱̭ ̳̳c̺̙̰͓̞͙̕a҉̘͇̹̥n̴̹͖͙̙d̢̞̼̯̮̳y̩͈̮̮͇?̞̰͈

trivia01.jpg

tim1138

How about Tom King's The Omega Men, it was only 12 issues and is collected in one trade. While nominally it's a superhero book, it's more of a political/psychological examination of war, rebellion, and the lengths people will go to for freedom. It'd be a good introduction to superhero stuff because it's self contained and you don't need to know any background information about the world or characters.

I'd also recommend Persepolis, Blankets, American Born Chinese, Fun Home, Essex County, and other books of that ilk.

TheFlow

Banned
American born Chinese is a must read. I don't care who you are. You aren't shit till you read that. Essex county is still lemires best work

Foofaraw

I smiled at this. but we gotta see how they write Danny next year.

That is where Danny comes in. He is going to sugar luke up.

also Danny is definitely going to have probably the worst childhood out of everyone. He loses both his parents, ends up in a different world, and gets literally bitch slapped for years into a martial artist. Like damn mane

He watches his mom be eaten alive by wolves. And people think Batman had it rough.

TheFlow

Banned
So I ordered the 2nd X-Men Claremont Omnibus. Any chance they'll release the stuff from the 3rd omnibus after?
The third released earlier this year.. If it not up it might already be Oop. Meaning you will have to most likely pay an extra 20-30 bucks or just wait for a reprint.

And believe me it will be reprinted.

Shaanyboi

Banned

It really is.

Alias has been collected into 4 trades.

Okay JStein, based on what you've told us -

-Citizen Jack if she digs politics, especially if she hates the Donald. That book can be cathartic. And scary.
-House of Penance if she likes weird creepy shit and tense stories about the nature of madness. One issue left technically but one to keep an eye on
-Klaus just finished so the trade isn't quite out yet but should be soon. This is Morrison at his most accessible...it starts simple but gets pretty crazy by the end. A good choice if she likes fairy tales and a great Christmas gift
-Six-Gun Gorilla if she enjoys off the wall weird but fun stuff and experiencing joy
-Weavers if she likes creepy Lovecraftian monsters and mob stories. One issue to go on this book as well
-Wytches if she wants something Halloweeny. There's another volume of this launching soon but the story in the first volume is self contained.

That's all newer stuff, here are a few of my all time favorites:
Persepolis
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Asterios Polyp (this I think has a high chance of being a good fit)
Maus
The Nightly News

Unless I dun goofed somewhere, these are all short, self contained, single volume stories. And no capes! I hope you see something she might like. :)

Glix

True Story Swear To God.

Youre welcome

Aquaman #8: Great start to the new arc. I am not familiar with
Shaggy Man
but the creative team does a great job portraying him as a major threat (well, the sort of major threat that will occupy our heroes for a few issues, anyway). I do wish the
attack on Atlantis, the resulting carnage and destruction
, could have been emphasized more to give a better sense of what's at stake, but overall it's a pretty good fight.

...and, that's really more or less all we get here. Rebirth has an overabundance of long fight scenes. The stuff with
Mera and the Widowhood
is a cool bit of world building - new to me anyway - but it's easy to see where that's going.

Overall I am enjoying the book. I think the first big test for an Aquaman writer is the
first issue that is entirely underwater, away from the easy jokes about Aquaman and the same ol' surface/underwater tension we get with every single Aquaman story.
I'd say Abnett passed.

Sandfox

I was going to get Shade, but the preview turned me off.

Hmmm. Well I haven't watched LC yet. Probably won't get a chance until the end of the month. But I can think of a few things that might change his mind. Heck depending on how that was presented it could even be interpreted as foreshadowing? Maybe?

Danny's childhood is a long way from "drama free" but it's safe to say it'll have an entirely different flavor to it.

Are we finally THERE?? Is it starting?!?!

Edit: OMG IT IS!!!

《celebratory gif.gif》
One aspect about CC that people are sleeping on is that the stars are some of Slott's best written characters.

Foofaraw

She's actually finished reading Infinite Jest? Lock it down, put a ring on it.

Well, at some point, have her read All-Star Superman to make sure she's the one. That's not a comic recommendation for the purpose of your post, just a life rec.

Owzers

Finished Deadly Class vol 3: book is still weird, and sooooo much drug usage. I have liked it more since it moved on from the first arc and i do want to read more.

But i kind of don't?

But i do.

Wytches was the worst Image title I've read all year. Still have no idea what you guys saw in that POS.

Well, now i know what i'm reading next. To the Wytches!

I assume every one saw the gwenpool page shitting on Bendis?

Not to be a buzzkill, but out of context panel was out of context.

Gwenpool was asserting that no one would be in danger of dying because a random C-List writer is writing the issue. Then she sees Kitty Pryde appear and assumes that must mean Bendis is the writer; so Carol actually could die then.

Top Bottom