• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

I'm not totally sold on the creative team (I'm not familiar with Steve Epting's work) but the teaser is absolutely beautiful.

He's really really great. You can look to the original Winter Soldier storyline and a lot of Bru's Cap run for examples of his stuff. More recent was his work on Hickman's New Avengers, & Velvet at Image. Fantastic artist.

TheFlow

Banned
So far we need a legion, swamp thing, and zantana to shut fans up.

Realistically Zantana and others can easily get a mini series. Legion will come

ElNarez

Banned
Best news! Kate Kane is my favourite DC character. I was hoping DC would give Batwoman another solo series. I'm not totally sold on the creative team (I'm not familiar with Steve Epting's work) but the teaser is absolutely beautiful.

Steve Epting worked on a little story for Marvel with Ed Brubaker.

By which I mean he co-created the Winter Soldier.

And then he did Velvet, also with Brubaker, and those are some great, moody, action books.

New Batwiman series by Marguerite Bennett and Steve epting.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batwoman-get-new-ongoing-comic-935670?sf38024477=1

batwoman_rebirth_art.jpg

Bennett is doing a two issue arc of detective, and a bat woman one shot to lead into the new series.
I'm crying over here. So happy~

He's really really great. You can look to the original Winter Soldier storyline and a lot of Bru's Cap run for examples of his stuff. More recent was his work on Hickman's New Avengers, & Velvet at Image. Fantastic artist.

I'll check his work out. Based on the praise I've read here, I'm looking forward to seeing what this creative team does with the character.

Batwoman is in a good place right now under James Tynion IV. It's the right time for a new solo series. I'm so happy to see DC give the character this level of attention.

I think this comes back to that when DC kind of killed the DCYou movement, and announced Rebirth, and a lot of places were talking about how conservation things were. Fewer books, only the bigger names etc. However, if you actually look at Rebirth now it's out there, a lot of that spirit is present more than ever, with the creators both writing and involved in the art that are in the mix, naturally the characters are getting the attention now too. Big books like Superman seems different directions and working because of it, and other diverse characters getting their moment, look at TEC or JLA, and now some of those characters jumping off into their own books, again providing different creators opportunities to tell their stories. Good times.

tim1138

Except Nu52 still is in continuity, and they did stuff like this before.

I think they mean that instead of cropping out 52 brand new #1's where the creative teams had no clue what was going on, what happened, what didn't, etc., they're taking the time to build a cohesive universe again and spin off titles when it makes sense and not to have an arbitrary number of books being published each month. The DCU of Rebirth feels connected in a way the New 52 era never did.

Dusknoir

I think they mean that instead of cropping out 52 brand new #1's where the creative teams had no clue what was going on, what happened, what didn't, etc., they're taking the time to build a cohesive universe again and spin off titles when it makes sense and not to have an arbitrary number of books being published each month. The DCU of Rebirth feels connected in a way the New 52 era never did.
This

That person believed Nu52 is retconned. Again it still was there it's just DC was in a different place when it came to #1s.

So far we need a legion, swamp thing, and zantana to shut fans up.

Realistically Zantana and others can easily get a mini series. Legion will come

Shazam. There needs to be some kind of follow-up after his power shuffle stuff during Darkseid War. Swamp is at least in Hellblazer for now.

TheFlow

Banned
I did my part and bought raven (digitally) can't read my comics yet though :/.

I actually keep forgetting shazam exist to be honest. He really should of got a solo title

I actually keep forgetting shazam exist to be honest. He really should of got a solo title
I can't even think of which writer I want more on Shazam/Whiz Comics/Marvel Family. Artist should be Shaner.

I'm not even a huge Shazam fan, the one-shot Darkseid War issue he had got me super interested though and it just didn't go anywhere or was never dealt with.

I may need to go back and read the last few issues of the war because I think everyone else lost their "godhood" except for Shazam and maybe Lex but I don't think we really know what happened to him on Apocalypse after the war.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm not even a huge Shazam fan, the one-shot Darkseid War issue he had got me super interested though and it just didn't go anywhere or was never dealt with.

I may need to go back and read the last few issues of the war because I think everyone else lost their "godhood" except for Shazam and maybe Lex but I don't think we really know what happened to him on Apocalypse after the war.
That is how DC gets you. They give us a small taste to remind readers he is still around but no fruits come from the seeds they plant.

You guys got a better chance of getting a tim drake solo book

That is how DC gets you. They give us a small taste to remind readers he is still around but no fruits come from the seeds they plant.

You guys got a better chance of getting a tim drake solo book

There's no way a Shazam or Shazam family book isn't in the pipe with a The Rock movie coming out.

Is Epting exclusiv?

I don't think anything like that was mentioned. He has commitments on Velvet anyway so it'd simply be a "I'm using the rest of my time on DC for awhile oppose to Marvel" type exclusive. If he plans to do a bunch of Batwoman & keep going with Velvet, you'll see nothing else out of him for two years anyway, exclusive or no. He's also got two issues of Aaron's Thor solicited.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw the Batwoman news.

Do you think Messi is back to normal yet, or do you think he's still running around NYCC hugging strangers and throwing things triumphantly into the air?

tim1138

Super Sons is coming in February with JLA and Batwoman, but there's still no sign of a creative team. My dream of Burnham writing and drawing it lives for a little longer...

Super Sons is coming in February with JLA and Batwoman, but there's still no sign of a creative team. My dream of Burnham writing and drawing it lives for a little longer...

I was kind of hoping for that. Awhile back (during the rebirth announcement), newsarama *incorrectly* reported that a "chris burns" and Dennis Culver would write the series. Culver was Burnham's writing partner for the e is for extinction secret wars title, so it's possible? They never clarified where they got that from though, and it may have been removed. Jorge Jimenez was the artist they reported.

It is actually still printed here: click

tim1138

He did the initial sketches at the launch announcement, at least.

I didn't pay too much attention to those, because I know ACO did the design sheets for Deathstroke, but he has nothing to do with the actual book and there were a few others like that.

I was kind of hoping for that. Awhile back (during the rebirth announcement), newsarama *incorrectly* reported that a "chris burns" and Dennis Culver would write the series. Culver was Burnham's writing partner for the e is for extinction secret wars title, so it's possible? They never clarified where they got that from though, and it may have been removed. Jorge Jimenez was the artist they reported.

It is actually still printed here: click

Yep, Culver was Burnham's partner on E is For Extinction, so the dream partially lives! I really do think Jimenez would be a great fit for that though.

Also, as far as announcements this weekend, Simone Catwoman seems a lock.

Source?

smisk

Anyone here into indie comics? I backed Kilgore Books' kickstarter a few weeks ago and got my stuff in the mail yesterday. Blammo #9 by Noah van Sciver and Scorched Earth by Tom van Neusen. Read through Scorched Earth last night and really enjoyed it, though it's certainly not for everyone.

Top Bottom