• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
CuF_DH0WIAAdEG4.jpg

Energy / fire hands confirmed for the show hopefully?

Also the chest tattoo but its not like that needs SFX :3

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Totally agree with the people who said this was a great issue of The Walking Dead. So much good shit went down this issue and far less idiocy from certain characters.

MG310

There was a DC All Access panel, and a Superfamily Panel too. CBR seems to be under the impression that Tomasi is the writer of Super Sons, but nothing has been confirmed. They also showed Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders.

I think the Rebirth panel is tomorrow.

Return of the Caped Crusaders was ridiculous in the best way. Plus they announced a sequel at the end of the panel with William Shatner as Two Face.

MG310

Is it friendly for those with minimal knowledge of the original Batman 66 series?

It's more of a parody of 66 Batman than an animated version of it. Lots of bits relating to their questionable (but always right) detective work and how they always have a very specific gadget on hand.

Hydra World Order will depend on how they approach it. An event predicated on Hydra successfully conquering the world could be really cool. Or it could be Age of Ultron again.

Sounds like something that would work better as a "world state" than an event, like Dark Reign.

Boogiepop

Alright, I am now caught up on Slott's Amazing Spider-man, from Big Time up through present. That... that was a lot of Spider-man. And I know people aren't so hot on him on the title nowadays, but... I enjoyed it. In particular this latest run has been nailing it for me pretty hard, both with switching to an art style that's working for me a LOT better and just playing around a bit more in general with stuff like the spider vehicles.

Also, now that I'm caught up... what's going on with this event-y stuff? Like, there's both a "Dead No More" and seemingly an additional "Clone Conspiracy" header thing going on. Like, are those events? Just the "big arc" for the book? What exactly am I looking at here, and are either already started and looking to make me pick up stuff outside of numbered Spider-man issues?

Edit: Also, Slott reaally needs to cut it out with the pop culture/current event references. Though that's something I wish comic writers in general would avoid.

That misty knight scene had me shook. My gf couldn't stop me from having a fanboy moment.

Luke cage has the best supporting cast and I think that is what put it above the other shows for me.

Also yea there are so many open plot developments leading up to Defenders.

My guess to the villain
the hand

Also love triangle is going to be real
claire and Luke feels so right but Jessica has to be the end game
Didn't dig the Claire and Luke romance. I like that Claire didn't get pulled in, but it felt natural so I'm ultimately fine with it. My biggest issue is Diamondback. He's just not a strong villain.
@Cage:
What do you mean with Misty? Seems like I missed every important easter egh this time, even missed Stan Lees kinda Cameo
Her final shot in the series is her in Harlem's Paradise in her old-school look, minus the bionic arm.
getting sick of the racists in ComicsGAF these days, like real talk
Are there racists here?
Batman B&W Nightwing statue.
GODDAMN I NEED IT.

Sandfox

Alright, I am now caught up on Slott's Amazing Spider-man, from Big Time up through present. That... that was a lot of Spider-man. And I know people aren't so hot on him on the title nowadays, but... I enjoyed it. In particular this latest run has been nailing it for me pretty hard, both with switching to an art style that's working for me a LOT better and just playing around a bit more in general with stuff like the spider vehicles.

Also, now that I'm caught up... what's going on with this event-y stuff? Like, there's both a "Dead No More" and seemingly an additional "Clone Conspiracy" header thing going on. Like, are those events? Just the "big arc" for the book? What exactly am I looking at here, and are either already started and looking to make me pick up stuff outside of numbered Spider-man issues?

Edit: Also, Slott reaally needs to cut it out with the pop culture/current event references. Though that's something I wish comic writers in general would avoid.
Dead No More is the name they used for Clone Conspiracy before they wanted to reveal details about things like the man in the red suit. Clone Conspiracy is an event like Spider-Island and Spider-Verse were and starts next week.

Boogiepop

Dead No More is the name they used for Clone Conspiracy before they wanted to reveal details about things like the man in the red suit. Clone Conspiracy is an event like Spider-Island and Spider-Verse were and starts next week.

Ah, thanks. That makes sense, and I can be down for that. Had me worried for a second there that they were double-booking on the same theme or something.

Pretty damn good week for me.

--

Cage #1

[4/5]: What an extremely fun issue. The art style is pretty much perfect for the type of story being told. I love that the comic doesn't rely on humor as a crutch but that it's rather just another charming aspect of it.

Champions #1
[3/5]: This started good and fun. A really solid setup that took a pretty dark turn near the middle and this is where it lost me a bit. The trafficking was kind of glossed over in favor of this preachy ending that completely ignored the actual issue in favor of the comics setup, which made it feel largely wasted. And the Twitter page was just cringey.

Doctor Strange #12

[4/5]: A great start to the arc. I love the idea of Strange getting put through the ringer immediately after the previous arc ended, despite missing the spells aspect quite a bit.

Invincible Iron Man #14
[3/5]: I'm not sure how to feel about this issue or rate it. I continue to like Bendis' focus on Tonys character and I liked most of the conversation between Tony and
Carol (aka the Tony bits). But there wasn't much in the way of answers when looking at the entire series. There was some stuff with Doom but that seems to be left entirely to the new series which makes its inclusion across this entire series so strange. Same for the stuff with Riri. Both were extremely half baked setups that might as well not have been included. Oh and Carols line about the court of law proving her right.
L O L. I wonder if Marvel knows what a great villain they are making Carol.

Jessica Jones #4
[4/5]: I liked this a lot, primarily on the backs of being invested in both plot strings. I'm hoping that continues to be the case instead of one taking over relgating to another, more boring role which is what I felt happened with Alias in parts. I want to give this a 0/5 for finding out
Carol is still alive and kicking post CWII.
Ugh.

Superman #8
[4/5]: A fun, fast paced start to the new arc. The art just continues to impress though the ending reveal seems like an odd place to end the issue on. I was expecting something more. Not sure what, but just something else.

Paper Girls #10 was money. BKV is building up a really quirky, fun world here. It's going to be fun watching everything devolve into madness.

TheFlow

Banned
Hydra World Order will depend on how they approach it. An event predicated on Hydra successfully conquering the world could be really cool. Or it could be Age of Ultron again.

Sounds like something that would work better as a "world state" than an event, like Dark Reign.

think they were joking about that,at least I hope they were..

hydra world order sounds like a cross over event for agents of shield

TheFlow

Banned
went ahead and preordered my marvel books.

Great Lakes Avengers #1

Moon Knight #7

Power Man and Iron Fist #9

Mosaic #1

I refuse to buy solo lol

Yeah I realize that now but I don't care. I want Captain Hydra to Make Hydra Great Again!
you just reminded me to buy his issues real quick

The best news. But you should talk to her again tomorrow and advise her against vampires and outer space and marriage.

Ftfy.

No thoughts from anyone on Cry Havok? Guess I will have to fall on the sword for that one at some point. Spurrier has done a lot of stuff that interests me, but nothing I've read yet. Six Gun Gorilla always looked good because it pushed that Hellboy button on the surface level a little, but The Spire, Weavers & Cry Havok all look good.

If it is Tomasi writing Super Sons, that's a pretty great outcome. His B&R run for the first year and a half of new 52 was great (I only read that much, not a judge against the rest), & by all accounts his Superman is red hot by and large for the added dynamic of Superboy. I will buy that book. 3/3 DC, not bad.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Ftfy.

No thoughts from anyone on Cry Havok? Guess I will have to fall on the sword for that one at some point. Spurrier has done a lot of stuff that interests me, but nothing I've read yet. Six Gun Gorilla always looked good because it pushed that Hellboy button in my a little, but The Spire, Weavers & Cry Havok all look good.

Cry Havoc was decent. I wanted to like it more than I did though. The 3 colorist thing was a nice experiment if nothing else.

I dropped the Spire after a few issues.

Ftfy.

No thoughts from anyone on Cry Havok? Guess I will have to fall on the sword for that one at some point. Spurrier has done a lot of stuff that interests me, but nothing I've read yet. Six Gun Gorilla always looked good because it pushed that Hellboy button on the surface level a little, but The Spire, Weavers & Cry Havok all look good.
Cry Havoc was interesting. I still have no idea what the fuck happened in that book. I loved the story structure and art, though. And the general premise.

But I still did not understand what the hell was going on.

Top Bottom