• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Cry Havoc was decent. I wanted to like it more than I did though. The 3 colorist thing was a nice experiment if nothing else.

I dropped the Spire after a few issues.

Cry Havoc was interesting. I still have no idea what the fuck happened in that book. I loved the story structure and art, though. And the general premise.

But I still did not understand what the hell was going on.

Cheers for the thoughts guys. It was the structure and the thing with the colourists that sounded appealing, alongside the basic concept. I'll come back to it, maybe. Haha.

Tizoc

Alright, I am now caught up on Slott's Amazing Spider-man, from Big Time up through present. That... that was a lot of Spider-man. And I know people aren't so hot on him on the title nowadays, but... I enjoyed it. In particular this latest run has been nailing it for me pretty hard, both with switching to an art style that's working for me a LOT better and just playing around a bit more in general with stuff like the spider vehicles.

Also, now that I'm caught up... what's going on with this event-y stuff? Like, there's both a "Dead No More" and seemingly an additional "Clone Conspiracy" header thing going on. Like, are those events? Just the "big arc" for the book? What exactly am I looking at here, and are either already started and looking to make me pick up stuff outside of numbered Spider-man issues?

Edit: Also, Slott reaally needs to cut it out with the pop culture/current event references. Though that's something I wish comic writers in general would avoid.
It all coms down to how the writer presents it

TheFlow

Banned
Lake of Fire #1

Bought this due to the high praise here, and you guys were right. This book is awesome. The first issue was so long but in a good way. Felt like I was reading a stand alone hc book. But yea great dialog and everything. Basically imagine Xenomorphs but 1220 AD.

5/5

Lake of fire #2

so scary. legit goosebumps on one of the pages.

5/5

Monster Men 4&5

I was really enjoying the first couple issues but these two didn't really do much for me. They're still talking about Tim and Batman is still being dumb because of it. Those motorcycles seem to be rockets but do very little.

Green Lantern

I fucking love Schmidt's art.

Read Champions. Made a kind of drastic decision. Aside from the Vision, I'm out of the monthly Marvel Comics game. The comics are just...fine. Certainly not books I'm excited to read. They languish on my backlog and then I finally get to them. Why am I wasting money buying them on Wednesdays if they're not capturing my interest? In a few months I'm going to transition over to Unlimited and if I read something I really need or want permanently I'll buy it on a CMX sale.

Bye, Marvel. Sorry. You're just...okay.

Read Champions. Made a kind of drastic decision. Aside from the Vision, I'm out of the monthly Marvel Comics game. The comics are just...fine. Certainly not books I'm excited to read. They languish on my backlog and then I finally get to them. Why am I wasting money buying them on Wednesdays if they're not capturing my interest? In a few months I'm going to transition over to Unlimited and if I read something I really need or want permanently I'll buy it on a CMX sale.

Yea makes sense. If the comics aren't doing it for you at those cover prices then it's best to change it up

I moved over to Unlimitted and buy only on sale for comics a while ago and I have more than enough to read.

And it's always cyclical, things will swing the other way eventually

Why am I wasting money buying them on Wednesdays if they're not capturing my interest?.

Not agreeing or disagreeing on Marvel in particular, but I've definitely fallen into this trap and found myself in this position before with various series, maybe reading one or two where I feel that way right now tbh. Reading by trade kind of helps because the glow of a series being hot or the big thing on all the websites has usually worn well off by the time it filters down to my basket on amazon or whatever, but it still happens haha.

tim1138

That's exactly what I do with Marvel. They have a small core of books that I look forward to on Wednesdays, but the rest of it I'm fine reading on the six month Unlimited delay. And like you said, if something ends up really catching my interest I grab it during a sale.

shingi70

Banned
Champions reminds me of Rebirth in that it's a intentional middle finger to how Marvel has been running it's universe since the first civil war. Really outside of Secert Invasion and Dark Reign/Seige it's been hero vs hero all the time. The problem is that for all the good champions does were still getting this from marvel from other books, variants and this whole Xmen v Inhumans conflict.

Messi

That awkward moment when you realize your dedication to getting a Sejic sketch has led to you accidentally sneaking into artists Ally before it opens.

dg6L6dv.jpg

Haha me too...the hating myself. and I dont think Ive played an hour of the other ones.

Horde in Gears 3 was awesome, really good fun. I hope they live up to it with this one. That said, I can't justify that digital tax haha. Paying over double for a few days extra, I just can't. Did you get the old games as a pre-order bonus? I thought that was a thing.

Horde in Gears 3 was awesome, really good fun. I hope they live up to it with this one. That said, I can't justify that digital tax haha. Paying over double for a few days extra, I just can't. Did you get the old games as a pre-order bonus? I thought that was a thing.

I think so. I haven't checked yet but I know I got them with the Ultimate Gears my Xbox came with. I just never got to them.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Champions #1 was so good!

Read Totally Awesome Hulk #1 on the subway this morning and loved it.

Not really interested in Cyclops but I guess I will check out the first 5 issues Rukka wrote on his solo series.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Now they should be worried :/

Champions was fun, though a bit awkward in spots. I still say that barring a really weird ending to Vision, Viv doesn't make a ton of sense on the team. And the moment at the end where they spontaneously go viral was kinda... off, somehow. Plus Nova tossing an armed lunatic into a crowd of people and being all "you guys take care of it." Still, enjoyed it on the whole.

Foofaraw

That awkward moment when you realize your dedication to getting a Sejic sketch has led to you accidentally sneaking into artists Ally before it opens.

Don't get caught, you might get tied up.

This. Newsarama writer and other people there were shocked. People left the panel in disgust.

This reminds me. I watched Toxic Avenger last night, and couldn't help but think that it was the most anti-tumblr movie I've seen. Good ol' Troma schlock. And then I remembered they turned it into a kids show. Super bizarre.

I can see why PAD might react that way if his only actual frame of reference for the Romani is seeing an injured child and having his guide tell him that the Romani hurt their kids to get more money. This seems more like "Old man gets mad at perceived injustice of parents hurting kids." If this were the case of hearing about female genital mutilation in a different region, I could see a similar reaction of anger occurring. This doesn't excuse him for not wanting to learn more, but it certainly saves him from being put on my "Do Not Read Due To Being A Orson Scott Card Level Dirtbag."

That's exactly what I do with Marvel. They have a small core of books that I look forward to on Wednesdays, but the rest of it I'm fine reading on the six month Unlimited delay. And like you said, if something ends up really catching my interest I grab it during a sale.

Yeah, I was gonna trade wait and then I was like "Hang on. MU is the ULTIMATE trade wait!"

Foofaraw

Yeah, I was gonna trade wait and then I was like "Hang on. MU is the ULTIMATE trade wait!"

So much savings in space and money. Stopped buying Epic Collection books as about a month after I discovered how fantastic MU is for back catalog. Stopped buying all but Black Panther a few months after that, because the only singles I want, are ones with letter columns from Coates.

So much savings in space and money. Stopped buying Epic Collection books as about a month after I discovered how fantastic MU is for back catalog. Stopped buying all but Black Panther a few months after that, because the only singles I want, are ones with letter columns from Coates.

SHiiiit I'll have to stick with BP monthly, yeah

Can someone with twitter ask Bennet to unblock me(@O_Erik_O)? Seems she has a autoblocker on.

Stop being an alleged alt-right activist who allegedly supports Peter David and Paul Pope, and you'll likely be okay. Allegedly.

Aside from the Vision, I'm out of the monthly Marvel Comics game. The comics are just...fine. Certainly not books I'm excited to read. They languish on my backlog and then I finally get to them. Why am I wasting money buying them on Wednesdays if they're not capturing my interest? In a few months I'm going to transition over to Unlimited and if I read something I really need or want permanently I'll buy it on a CMX sale.

When you lose Birdie, whose love of comics knows no boundaries, who considers Green Lanterns a 9/10 book, you done messed up. Marvel was a mistake.

I really think you should join us in the MU world. It's dirt cheap relative to the rest of the industry. I pay around $6 a month and end up reading between 10-15 Marvel books a week. It's insanely good, and makes me largely indifferent to the lesser events when they drop. Dump bad books and binge them later. Read bad books. It's all so cheap!

If there's stuff you don't want to read, it's no biggie. If there's stuff that you find mildly interesting, it's all there. If there are books you're dying to read, just realize we're all a lot more vulnerable to spoilers in MU land. I don't personally give a damn, but that might be a deal breaker for some.

Unlimited is my baby and I do my part to spread the word on here on the weekly. If DC had a counterpart, I'd be all over that, too.

Stop being an alleged alt-right activist who allegedly supports Peter David and Paul Pope, and you'll likely be okay. Allegedly.

When you lose Birdie, whose love of comics knows no boundaries, who considers Green Lanterns a 9/10 book, you done messed up. Marvel was a mistake.

I really think you should join us in the MU world. It's dirt cheap relative to the rest of the industry. I pay around $6 a month and end up reading between 10-15 Marvel books a week. It's insanely good, and makes me largely indifferent to the lesser events when they drop. Dump bad books and binge them later. Read bad books. It's all so cheap!

If there's stuff you don't want to read, it's no biggie. If there's stuff that you find mildly interesting, it's all there. If there are books you're dying to read, just realize we're all a lot more vulnerable to spoilers in MU land. I don't personally give a damn, but that might be a deal breaker for some.

Unlimited is my baby and I do my part to spread the word on here on the weekly. If DC had a counterpart, I'd be all over that, too.
Yea a DC version is the ultimate dream for me.

What do you read on? I'd probably jump on MU permanently if I had something decent but I have a 7 inch kindle fire as the only tablet in the house...bleehhh. That I want is some shit hot, perfect aspect ratio/sized Tablet that is cheap as chips because all it knows how to do is run MU and have a good screen. I don't have much else use for a tablet.

Also fuck yes, managed to find a uk retailer that has HBiH vol. 2 in stock, it will allegedly posted in a few days. Hopefully I don't have to wait til the 20th anyway.

Also, since Tragicomedy made Allegedly the word of the page:

Yeah just joined. If anyone else wants to join us, first month is free for NYCC, code: NY16

Yea a DC version is the ultimate dream for me.

It will happen. DiDio may have to die for his sins in order for us to reach utopia, but it will happen.

What do you read on? I'd probably jump on MU permanently if I had something decent but I have a 7 inch kindle fire as the only tablet in the house...bleehhh. That I want is some shit hot, perfect aspect ratio/sized Tablet that is cheap as chips because all it knows how to do is run MU and have a good screen. I don't have much else use for a tablet.

Also, since Tragicomedy made Allegedly the word of the page:

I used to try on the same device, but it's a rough experience. I jumped onto the iPad Air 2 game this year and I'm in heaven. I don't believe the aspect ratio is perfect on it, so there are black bars, but it's damn good in my mind. I can straight up read full pages with no zooming, and can go landscape mode for double spreads 95% of the time.

People with the 12.7 inch version of the iPad Pro say it's the absolute best, but I couldn't justify spending that much for a device I mainly use to read comics. Plus, it's a bit too heavy for leaning back in my bed at night and drifting off to sleep while reading comics.

Allegedly.

Yeah just joined. If anyone else wants to join us, first month is free for NYCC, code: NY16

Perfect. Now that they have the option to mark books as read, it's pretty damn perfect. The offline reading option is limited, but everything else is A+. Start filling up that library!

tim1138

It will happen. DiDio may have to die for his sins in order for us to reach utopia, but it will happen.

I used to try on the same device, but it's a rough experience. I jumped onto the iPad Air 2 game this year and I'm in heaven. I don't believe the aspect ratio is perfect on it, so there are black bars, but it's damn good in my mind. I can straight up read full pages with no zooming, and can go landscape mode for double spreads 95% of the time.

People with the 12.7 inch version of the iPad Pro say it's the absolute best, but I couldn't justify spending that much for a device I mainly use to read comics. Plus, it's a bit too heavy for leaning back in my bed at night and drifting off to sleep while reading comics.

Allegedly.

Perfect. Now that they have the option to mark books as read, it's pretty damn perfect. The offline reading option is limited, but everything else is A+. Start filling up that library!

The resolution seems to have improved with the last few updates as well. It's not at CMX HD levels yet, but it's much better than it used to be.

leaning back in my bed at night and drifting off to sleep while reading comics.

You live a good life man.

I might bite for the free month, see how sitting in the study and reading it on the pc monitor suits me. I think even an air would be too rich for my blood, but I bet that's a great reading experience.

This hardcover came out in 2007 so I assume the miniseries came out sometime a little before that. This is the same guy who did the series Bone if you didn't know.

haha i love bone! That's actually why I asked, the name made me take notice :D

First 3 issues of Punisher(2016) are on sale at CMX for 99 cents.

ok Sandfox guess I am diving in

I really dig Cloonan's writing, very versatile if you compare Southern Cross & Gotham Academy. I just can't get behind Dillon's art though. He's one of the very very few artists I practically have an allergic reaction too, I'm not even sure why.

Top Bottom