• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

TheFlow

Banned
You live a good life man.

I might bite for the free month, see how sitting in the study and reading it on the pc monitor suits me. I think even an air would be too rich for my blood, but I bet that's a great reading experience.

haha i love bone! That's actually why I asked, the name made me take notice :D

I really dig Cloonan's writing, very versatile if you compare Southern Cross & Gotham Academy. I just can't get behind Dillon's art though. He's one of the very very few artists I practically have an allergic reaction too, I'm not even sure why.

yea the art is easily the worst for a marvel title but 3 bucks is not bad.

VanWinkle

haha i love bone! That's actually why I asked, the name made me take notice :D

Dude, the art and lettering is SO GOOD!

xXsDGvP.jpg

7G1VaVi.jpg

rSZFKq0.jpg

CzztwuV.jpg

Champions reminds me of Rebirth in that it's a intentional middle finger to how Marvel has been running it's universe since the first civil war. Really outside of Secert Invasion and Dark Reign/Seige it's been hero vs hero all the time. The problem is that for all the good champions does were still getting this from marvel from other books, variants and this whole Xmen v Inhumans conflict.

I will pick it up!!!

Looking back the first Civil War onward really severely killed my great love for the Marvel universe and I'd love some if it back.

Champions reminds me of Rebirth in that it's a intentional middle finger to how Marvel has been running it's universe since the first civil war. Really outside of Secert Invasion and Dark Reign/Seige it's been hero vs hero all the time. The problem is that for all the good champions does were still getting this from marvel from other books, variants and this whole Xmen v Inhumans conflict.

Exactly.

This was my problem reading it. Rebirth feels like a coherent movement across an entire line. Champions is just an attempt to staple together its handful of interesting/progressive characters in one book.

No thanks.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I will pick it up!!!

Looking back the first Civil War onward really severely killed my great love for the Marvel universe and I'd love some if it back.

Champions & the some of the related solo books are so good.

Namely Ms Marvel, The Vision & Spider-Man. From the 1 issue I've read of TAH, it seems solid as well.

Champions & the some of the related solo books are so good.

Namely Ms Marvel, The Vision & Spider-Man. From the 1 issue I've read of TAH, it seems solid as well.
Vision only has one more issue, though.

I was pulling a lot of Marvel books and trimmed them down considerably.

Owzers

Are you guys buying some of these holiday issues? I'm debating Gwnenpool Holiday Special and Power Man and Iron Fist Sweet Christmas since i buy those two monthly.

Sweet Christmas holiday special? Uh duh.

Rebirth holiday special? What is that?

DC’s biggest and brightest heroes celebrate the holidays in this new special! Don’t miss a Chanukah crisis for Batwoman, a Flash family Christmas, Wonder Woman interrupting John Constantine’s hellblazing pagan party and more—including the return of Detective Chimp! Today’s top talents bring you a very special holiday gift that’ll keep on giving through the New Year! And writer Paul Dini crafts a Harley holiday tale featuring DCU guests that bridges all the stories in the weirdest, wildest way.

Definitely in for the Marvel specials but will probably skip DC's

I don't even know who Detective Chimp is but I'm guessing he isn't half as cool as Hit Monkey

That looks like so much fun just looking at it
It's a pretty enjoyable tale. Nothing too deep but it's fun. I figured most already knew about it

So all these marvel books on sale on CMX that haven't made it MU. Any real standouts. I read the first issues of BP and Widow on MU and liked them so I think I'm in for them.

Owzers

Wytches vol 1: Two issues in and it seems like a book that was built around that early "pledged is pledged" moment with no follow-up.

Rereading Hellboy reminds me of not only all the great short stories, but about a lot of the stories that are teasing and hinted at but haven't actually made it to paper (and maybe never will). Like his time at sea between the end of Then Island & Darkness Calls, and the teased
ghost ship
. Or his first trip to Africa in 1947 where he disappeared for a week. There's even a volume set during that year (BPRD 1947) with young Hellboy in it and the story isn't broached. So much exciting sounding stuff left untold. Although, having at least some of it left like that is what makes the books so exciting, that feeling that there is a bigger world and history out there going on, outside of the main narratives.

Wytches vol 1: Two issues in and it seems like a book that was built around that early "pledged is pledged" moment with no follow-up.

Damn, the narrative of late really has been that wytches was no good haha, seems to turn up every few days. I really need to go back and read it because I remember it being pretty good.

EDIT in with my own thoughts: Just reread the first two issues there. I don't know. I feel like there's plenty going on with the characters and the plot. Jumping between the thing that made them move and what exactly is out to get Sailor and just her general fear of moving to a new school and fitting it, the father's own anxiety, with his career and his kid growing up. Knowing Snyder suffers anxiety and his fears about his kids, it's clear he's the closest to Snyder's own voice in the book which is an interesting subtext in it's own right. The mother's circumstances. Purely in terms of the creepy stuff there's
Annie creeping around haunting Sail
and the old lady rolling bones.

Hey, to each their own, but I can't get behind that the book is the first scene and nothing. Maybe you just feel that way because pledged is pledged gets quoted a lot and you expected more of that first scene quicker, but I think I actually forgot about it totally the first time I read through until it was given more context. The book to me nails what good horror is though. It's character first, people and life and our own fears manifest as the real horror, all the wytches and lore is just the creepy dressing on top to give Snyder the means to explore issues like maturing and adulthood, and letting go and stand on your own feet etc.

OH also I forgot, but I really like the night arcade element to the book, and the parallel it draws.

Malyse

Alex + Ada was such a beautiful book... really tugged my heartstrings throughout.

Of what I've read, I think The Sword is my fave, followed by Alex + Ada, then Ultra, then Girls, and Star Bright and the Looking Glass last. Skipping Spider-Woman.

That being said, I think Ultra would work best as an adapted work. Preferably on Netflix, preferable without any teasers saying it's about superheros. Do a Cabin in the Woods bait and switch and make it look like Girls/Sex in the City.

Sandfox

First 3 issues of Punisher(2016) are on sale at CMX for 99 cents.

ok Sandfox guess I am diving in

I didn't recommend that book lol.

If other books weren't like that these kids trying to be different would have little meaning. The entire point is that they don't like how the other heroes are operating.

Ponn

Banned

Oh Ho Ho...Keep reading. I love that book.

I really should read something during this storm but its just cathartic listening to the shit going on outside.

Batman #8 (Night of the Monster Men Part 4): It's not exactly a new observation, but I really can't think of a fictional metropolis less appealing than Gotham City. A city where immortal serial killers escape on the regular from a huge insane asylum you can probably see from your house, a place that basically functions as the worst prison in the country, and go to town setting new body count records before they are finally stopped by any number of heavily armed vigilantes. A city once so badly devastated by an earthquake the federal government abandoned it to said serial killers. A city where you not only have to deal with all of the insane shit of Marvel NY or Metropolis, but also occasionally
becoming the zombie henchman of some psychopath.
This happens one time, I am gone so fast I wouldn't even pack my things.

This crossover isn't working for me. It compares unfavorably to certain other recent events in Gotham City, particularly
Endgame.
I feel like we just explored all of these ideas so recently that
Dr. Strange trying to pull this shit in Gotham seems so destined for failure from the start that I'm not even sure why he'd do it, and the threat never feels as credible as in several recent stories depicting citywide threats like the aforementioned Endgame, Zero Year or even the Mr. Bloom arc.

Too bad the Nightwing problem doesn't get resolved here...I hope that doesn't mean we are about to do an "in the mind of the beast" story.

I have many pet peeves with
mind control
fiction, and one of them is
a rampaging mind controlled person stopping dead because someone they know is saying just the right things. Half the time this move is so effective it completely counteracts the mind control, which fortunately doesn't happen here, but this does happen twice.

I had a couple of issues with the art as well. Spoiler is often depicted with an expression of
stark terror, which I think is a disservice to her character. It's meant to convey the gravity of the mold people situation, I get that, but it ends up making her seem more inexperienced with these sorts of things than she really is.
The proportions of some of the monsters, particularly the
Nightwing monster
appeared inconsistent at times. And there is something weird going on with capes in this book. Especially Batman's and Batwoman's. They often looked oddly flat and they don't move properly with the characters.

TheFlow

Banned
Batman #8 (Night of the Monster Men Part 4): It's not exactly a new observation, but I really can't think of a fictional metropolis less appealing than Gotham City. A city where immortal serial killers escape on the regular from a huge insane asylum you can probably see from your house, a place that basically functions as the worst prison in the country, and go to town setting new body count records before they are finally stopped by any number of heavily armed vigilantes. A city once so badly devastated by an earthquake the federal government abandoned it to said serial killers. A city where you not only have to deal with all of the insane shit of Marvel NY or Metropolis, but also occasionally

This crossover isn't working for me. It compares unfavorably to certain other recent events in Gotham City, particularly
Endgame.
Dr. Strange trying to pull this shit in Gotham seems so destined for failure from the start that I'm not even sure why he'd do it, and the threat never feels as credible as in several recent stories depicting citywide threats like the aforementioned Endgame, Zero Year or even the Mr. Bloom arc.

Too bad the Nightwing problem doesn't get resolved here...I hope that doesn't mean we are about to do an "in the mind of the beast" story.

mind control
a rampaging mind controlled person stopping dead because someone they know is saying just the right things. Half the time this move is so effective it completely counteracts the mind control, which fortunately doesn't happen here, but this does happen twice.

I had a couple of issues with the art as well. Spoiler is often depicted with an expression of
stark terror, which I think is a disservice to her character. It's meant to convey the gravity of the mold people situation, I get that, but it ends up making her seem more inexperienced with these sorts of things than she really is.
Nightwing monster
appeared inconsistent at times. And there is something weird going on with capes in this book. Especially Batman's and Batwoman's. They often looked oddly flat and they don't move properly with the characters.
i am waiting till it finish to read it all

Endgame.

mind control

Nightwing monster

Pretty much agree.

My biggest issue though
is how much of a dick Batman is being and how much Duke and Alfred seem to be deifying Tim. Everything they try to do they have to say they aren't as good as Tim was.

Pretty much agree.

My biggest issue though
is how much of a dick Batman is being and how much Duke and Alfred seem to be deifying Tim. Everything they try to do they have to say they aren't as good as Tim was.

Yeah I think I said something similar about previous issues.

The
Clayface armor
is a cool idea but
hilariously ineffective

So which one is the alt account then, Messi or Echoshift?

Lol now THAT would be a strange twist

Hahah apparently Gerard Way debuted a cave carson song at his panel? And said to expect more Young Animal Themed music from him next year. I'm really not a fan of the guy's music at all despite reaaally liking his writing haha but there you go

Top Bottom