• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

(Originally edited this stuff into my post about the young animal post on previous page, but since we turned new page and quite a few of you are into batman stuff right now, thought I'd move it over)

A good bit from Tynion about the upcoming bat-woman book:

Tynion also weighed in on the two-part Batwoman story in “Detective Comics” as well as the “Batwoman” solo book. “This is going to be a very global book,” he shared. “When I first sat down with Marguerite [Bennett], we started talking about what things are the most interesting that haven’t been explored with Kate… Bruce Wayne’s parents were killed by the idea of faceless crime… The difference with Kate is her mother was killed by faceless terror, and she build herself into a solider… The way they approach that differently is at the heart of that. Kate is still trying to find herself… We’ve also seen her become lost in a way that Bruce never did.”

“During Kate’s lost years, she was all off the globe trying to find a path for herself,” he continued. “We’ll see moments of that past come back to haunt her present… She is going to stay a member of the ‘Detective’ team… These are her own little side adventures. We are so excited… We’ve plotted out a year full of stories.”

Also, they get a little little spoilery about when to expect rebirthy/
watchmen
stuff to crop up in Batman, so if you're not interested, keep away from the bat panel write-up. I skimmed most to avoid spoilers about rebirth books I'm waiting on, but Snyder teased his Capullo project briefly again too.

Link for those that want: Click

Also, if we're discussing monkeys....

Monkey+has+a+Gun.jpg

tim1138

I want a issue with all the apes and monkeys. Detective Chimp, Mr. Stubbs, Gorilla Grodd etc

This has been my dream for so long, DC has so many great simian characters: Detective Chimp, Stubbs, Grodd, Mallah, Ultra-Humanite, Titano, Congorilla, Djuba, Solovar, etc, etc

Whoa, if you ain't down with that planned Batwoman marriage, then I don't think we can be friends. I speak for Messi too. In fact, you're going on the list.

I thought Death of X was quite good.

You are wrong.

Read Champions. Made a kind of drastic decision. Aside from the Vision, I'm out of the monthly Marvel Comics game. The comics are just...fine. Certainly not books I'm excited to read. They languish on my backlog and then I finally get to them. Why am I wasting money buying them on Wednesdays if they're not capturing my interest? In a few months I'm going to transition over to Unlimited and if I read something I really need or want permanently I'll buy it on a CMX sale.

Bye, Marvel. Sorry. You're just...okay.

I thought Champions was really good. Not as good as say, a solo issue of Ms. Marvel, but much better than a lot of the mediocre drivel they put out these days.

That awkward moment when you realize your dedication to getting a Sejic sketch has led to you accidentally sneaking into artists Ally before it opens.

"Accidentally." Nice way to spin it.

Champions #1 was so good!

It was. Talk some sense into Birdie.

This book is awesome! I'm really enjoying it.

Jeff Smith is great. I should finish reading Bone one of these days.

Cyborg hate is lame.

So is the comic.
just kidding, I haven't even read it.

Has Messi meet Ann Nocenti?

I think she's some kind of journalist now. She already insulted one medium. Why not another?

Hahah apparently Gerard Way debuted a cave carson song at his panel? And said to expect more Young Animal Themed music from him next year. I'm really not a fan of the guy's music at all despite reaaally liking his writing haha but there you go

I'm not sure I like where this is going. They've given him too much power. It's like Psychbat making gifs.

Also, Deadpool Duck coming 2017:

Sandfox

Whoa, if you ain't down with that planned Batwoman marriage, then I don't think we can be friends. I speak for Messi too. In fact, you're going on the list.

You are wrong.

I thought Champions was really good. Not as good as say, a solo issue of Ms. Marvel, but much better than a lot of the mediocre drivel they put out these days.

"Accidentally." Nice way to spin it.

It was. Talk some sense into Birdie.

Jeff Smith is great. I should finish reading Bone one of these days.

So is the comic.
just kidding, I haven't even read it.

I think she's some kind of journalist now. She already insulted one medium. Why not another?

I'm not sure I like where this is going. They've given him too much power. It's like Psychbat making gifs.

Also, Deadpool Duck coming 2017:
Now to see if that Avengers book shows up lol.

Sandfox

America Chavez ongoing announced!

The monsters in Monsters Unleashed all date from Marvel's "rubber suit monster era," from before the superhero era.

Buckley said promotion for Monsters Unleashed will echo across Marvel's promotional line, not just in its comics. He compared it to Secret Wars in this way.

A series of variant covers by Francesco Francavilla, Ken Nimura, and Mike Mignola will accompany the first issue.

Each artist will create a new monster for the series, with the first being revealed in tomorrow's Cup O'Joe panel.

Marvel will also publish two "Monsterbus" collections with the original Marvel Monster stories from the 50s and 60s.
It looks like Marvel is setting up for a push on their monsters that haven't been getting use.

Also, the classified Star Wars book will be revealed next week and everything Lowe said about Clone Conspiracy makes it sound really good.

Sandfox

America Chavez will get her own solo series titled America.

Amanat said they've been working on it for a long time. The creative team is forthcoming. Jamie McKelvie did the cover, but is not the artist of the book.

The 54th secret variant, available to retailers who purchase all of them, "ties into the theme of the variants," a cover by Daniel Acuna that appears to feature the classic Captain America costume. The return of Steve Rogers from his Hydra status?

The cover is a clue to what Marvel will be doing next year.

A 2017 teaser that simply said "A House Divided Against Itself Cannot Stand" was shown
I'm guessing there's a connection here.

Neoxon

Looks like there's gonna be an animated Hulk movie called "Where Monsters Dwell" involving Doctor Strange & Nightmare.

They also showed footage of the Rocket Raccoon & Groot short that was announced a while back (it wasn't in the style of the current series).

It looks like Marvel is setting up for a push on their monsters that haven't been getting use.

Also, the classified Star Wars book will be revealed next week and everything Lowe said about Clone Conspiracy makes it sound really good.

lol CBR crashed

I love a good monster book. If they can do something there after monsters unleashed then ill be paying attention. Not too sure about monsters unleashed itself though. Need to see.

Wow, I was joking a while back that Fin Fang Foom was showing up everywhere in the last All New Marvel Now but I guess, once again, I was the only one who could see what was really going on.

Sandfox

is it for real or is it a joke to set up the info dump on monsters unleashed?
It's real.
Oh man, why line wide? Why dont they learn? I liked the idea of the mini but this is to much again

Monster's Unleashed will be doing books like the ASM and X-Men CW2 books rather than tying in and it's only running from mid January to March. From what I've read in an interview it's about the heroes coming together making it essentially the opposite of CW2 lol.

Messi! Messi! Are you alright!?
Messi had like one of the greatest weekends of his life lol.

Sandfox

My guess about the house divided thing has always been that it will be a back to basics thing and so far the info we have supports that.

Lol jesus. I would hate to run a comic shop.

The people who buy all those covers just sell them online for a ton of money. I'm not sure what the ratio on these covers are though.

I am so afraid that they fuck this up.

Is the original creator still doing his copy cat book? I hope they lured him back somehow.

It was Gillen that made the character good, not the original creator.

If you want a master class on lettering and speech bubbles read a random page of any mid to late Cerebus comic. Dave Sim being a horrible human being aside, Cerebus is really a must-read.

Side note, anyone know how long it normally takes InStockTrades to ship an order? I don't really care about getting new releases day off but I figured they'd ship within a day or two and so far...nothing.

Side note, anyone know how long it normally takes InStockTrades to ship an order? I don't really care about getting new releases day off but I figured they'd ship within a day or two and so far...nothing.

Depends. If it's a new release from that week, usually within a day or two. If not, they might not have it on-hand and it could be backordered. It's usually not the case, but on occasion I've had orders take up to week to ship. I wouldn't worry, but email them if it concerns you. What did you order?

Going by the last LGBT book(which was also the only one in the line), 7 issues unless someone like Slott, Bendis etc is on it.

I'm going to undercut you and say 6 issues.

Also, weird IST story... I ordered my stuff this week, disappointed that the 4th Goon Library Edition wasn't there. I check a few hours later, and it's listed right at the top of the new releases page ahead of all the other stuff. Annoying, but I order it. Then I check back later and it's gone again, but my order still exists. It's still listed as "Not Available" on the site, but I just checked my order and it's been picked & scanned. So that's good news for me, I guess?

VanWinkle

I'm going to undercut you and say 6 issues.

Also, weird IST story... I ordered my stuff this week, disappointed that the 4th Goon Library Edition wasn't there. I check a few hours later, and it's listed right at the top of the new releases page ahead of all the other stuff. Annoying, but I order it. Then I check back later and it's gone again, but my order still exists. It's still listed as "Not Available" on the site, but I just checked my order and it's been picked & scanned. So that's good news for me, I guess?

Man. It made me so mad. I saw that it became available while I was at work, and then I go home and it's unavailable, and it's STILL unavailable. I don't know what happened.

Man. It made me so mad. I saw that it became available while I was at work, and then I go home and it's unavailable, and it's STILL unavailable. I don't know what happened.

I know Midtown Comics didn't get it at all and they moved the release date to the 12th on their site. TFAW got it in, though. So maybe IST just didn't get many in their first shipment. I've seen a number of things switch to "Not Available" only to come back later. I'm sure they'll get more by next week.

Best I can guess is ist had fulfilled their initial allotment with pre-orders but some cancellations were causing it to pop up again intermittently? Dunno.

Depends. If it's a new release from that week, usually within a day or two. If not, they might not have it on-hand and it could be backordered. It's usually not the case, but on occasion I've had orders take up to week to ship. I wouldn't worry, but email them if it concerns you. What did you order?

Releases this week. I'm not concerned enough to actually mail them, I was just curious. I guess I'm just used to Amazon sending like 3 mails about the status of my order and then a notification that it's actually already under my bed.

And for reference, this is what I mean when I say Cerebus is a master class on lettering:

I'll stop. In my eyes, Dave Sim is the absolute best at speech and lettering that exists. The way he makes you HEAR what he's writing with how it's written is incredible.

Cerebus is an incredible comic even if it gets real...well...you know...at the end.

Top Bottom