• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
A-Force and Mockingbird sucked IMO and the other two sound like they are going to be better.

Doesnt surprise me. Your tastes have always been the polar opposite of mine.

We will see what happens with Hulk. I'm willing to see how that plays out. A-Force ain't been great in a long time, though I will miss Singularity if she doesn't land anywhere.

There's no way Occupy is anywhere near as good as Mockingbird. That's a safer bet.

I have no interest in the Hulk book regardless of quality.

Messi

A-Force and Mockingbird sucked IMO and the other two sound like they are going to be better.

olivia3.gif

Have you read any Baltimore? Badass vampire hunter seems right up my alley.

Yea man! I have all the HCs here, quite a fan of the series in fact, especially as of the last few volumes. I forget to mention it sometimes because it stands outside the Mignola-verse as it's own thing, but that's one of it's biggest strengths, someone wants a Mignola thing but doesn't want to go balls deep on Hellboy/BPRD/so on, you've got Baltimore right there. The scripter on it is Chris Golden ,who was actually the scripter on the original BPRD Hollow Earth story that kicked everything off with the BPRD books, and he does some great work. I wrote a little back in August actually. It was about Chapel Of Bones, which is vol. 4, but I specifically made sure not to have any spoilers since I was trying to sell the series haha Click
It's very cool, and a nice twist on vampires, just the way they're picked the setting and period, it opens up some really fun storytelling. I'm guessing you'll go digital, but the HCs are actually REALLY nice too, I love them.

EDIT: OH and if you see Joe Golem while you're looking around, that is Mig & Golden's other thing they do together. They just kicked off the comic series and that is also it's own totally separate thing to HB & to Baltimore.

Zombine

Banned
Baltimore needs to be included in the universe. I love the book, but there's very little keeping it outside of the Hellboy universe other than Mignola saying it's not a part of it. Thematically is the same, and could serve to flesh out that era of the universe. Kinda weird it's legit like the only thing excluded.

Either November or closer January.
I thoight it was supposed to drop this past Thursday
Even good ol donnie joined.

BK, join!
I don't know what this is
Yea man! I have all the HCs here, quite a fan of the series in fact, especially as of the last few volumes. I forget to mention it sometimes because it stands outside the Mignola-verse as it's own thing, but that's one of it's biggest strengths, someone wants a Mignola thing but doesn't want to go balls deep on Hellboy/BPRD/so on, you've got Baltimore right there. The scripter on it is Chris Golden ,who was actually the scripter on the original BPRD Hollow Earth story that kicked everything off with the BPRD books, and he does some great work. I wrote a little back in August actually. It was about Chapel Of Bones, which is vol. 4, but I specifically made sure not to have any spoilers since I was trying to sell the series haha Click
It's very cool, and a nice twist on vampires, just the way they're picked the setting and period, it opens up some really fun storytelling. I'm guessing you'll go digital, but the HCs are actually REALLY nice too, I love them.

EDIT: OH and if you see Joe Golem while you're looking around, that is Mig & Golden's other thing they do together. They just kicked off the comic series and that is also it's own totally separate thing to HB & to Baltimore.
Joe Golem and the Sunken City is a really dope book. Highly suggest reading it before the comic

Baltimore needs to be included in the universe. I love the book, but there's very little keeping it outside of the Hellboy universe other than Mignola saying it's not a part of it. Thematically is the same, and could serve to flesh out that era of the universe. Kinda weird it's legit like the only thing excluded.

Have you read through volume 4? I would initially maybe have agreed (although the vampires in HB's world do have quite a specific history/status) but volume 4 really kind of plants its foot in terms of the mythology of the world. It's not quite as revelatory but it's kind of Baltimore's the island moment. I do appreciate what you're saying though. I think it's maybe just to do with the novel coming first and being more of a co-creation than osme other things. I kind of like that it does it's own thing though. Leaves it very flexible, and a bit easier to jump into.

Speaking of Mignola novels, new book in Feb:

An uneasiness festers upon the city streets, threatening the peace and safety of law abiding citizens. A war is escalating, and it seems as though the good and righteous are being crushed beneath the unholy weight of evil s onslaught. Organized crime is spreading in an unchecked reign of terror.

Until a mysterious agent of retribution rises up from the shadows to challenge the villains. A lone figure, clad in a slouch hat and clothes seemingly stitched from the blackest shadows, masked in the guise of a skull-faced death a Grim Death emerges with guns blazing. With him, a wronged ex-con clad in the striped costume of his misfortune Bill the Electrocuted Criminal.

Looks pretty rad. No doubt there will end up being a comic series haha Mig doesn't miss a trick when it comes to franchising.

Boogiepop

This opinion will earn you hate in here I'm sure, but I at least somewhat have your back on this one. (I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate them, and I could still see myself reading the rest of them down the line via either a nice cheap Comixology sale or MU, but they just didn't really click with me. Well, post Secret Wars tie-in A-Force at least. Like, they have their moments, but I just didn't feel the same love people seem to have for them.)

TheFlow

Banned
This opinion will earn you hate in here I'm sure, but I at least somewhat have your back on this one. (I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate them, and I could still see myself reading the rest of them down the line via either a nice cheap Comixology sale or MU, but they just didn't really click with me. Well, post Secret Wars tie-in A-Force at least. Like, they have their moments, but I just didn't feel the same love people seem to have for them.)
They got cancelled for a reason
dont hurt me

Messi

So It seems Doom Patrol and now Shade have both underperformed in Big Bang. These dudes are super high on young animal too, posters all over, flyers ect. Shade in particular seems to have done badly. It's a small sample but I find it curious (it being my store) and considering we seem to take the rest of what they say at face value.

Champions also flopping is curious. People in there love Kamala and Miles. Ms Marvel and young books usually sell huge.

TheFlow

Banned
So It seems Doom Patrol and now Shade have both underperformed in Big Bang. These dudes are super high on young animal too, posters all over, flyers ect. Shade in particular seems to have done badly. It's a small sample but I find it curious (it being my store) and considering we seem to take the rest of what they say at face value.

Champions also flopping is curious. People in there love Kamala and Miles. Ms Marvel and young books usually sell huge.

people hate change.

A.D.: AFTER DEATH BOOK ONE 12-Page Preview
http://www.newsarama.com/31488-chea...after-death-book-one-12-page-preview.html#s11

I didn't read the words it but this looks really good.
11277294.gif

We should see the sales numbers for Doom Patrol #1 next week. Time will tell. It's a valid concern though.

VanWinkle

Halfway through Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I have the illustrated edition and it's really impressive. The book is really good! I enjoy its writing style and I THINK it's better than the movie but it's been so long since I've watched the movie so I can't say for sure.

Ross61

I thoight it was supposed to drop this past Thursday

I don't know what this is

Joe Golem and the Sunken City is a really dope book. Highly suggest reading it before the comic

Nah, Direct Currents magazine in November will contain more information and behind the scenes of DC Rebirth and the Second Wave.

Halfway through Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I have the illustrated edition and it's really impressive. The book is really good! I enjoy its writing style and I THINK it's better than the movie but it's been so long since I've watched the movie so I can't say for sure.

Haha i am planning on buying these editions for the house. My partner is a big fan, and I thought it's be fun to read with my boy. He's close to leaving the age where I could read a book to him anymore but he loves Harry potter. I read the books back in school as they came out but it's been a long time since I revisited them. I really liked the earlier books though, where a lot of the time is just devoted to them going to weird classes and the like.

What sort of number did Big Bang expect to sell for Doom Patrol?

TheFlow

Banned
Green Arrow #6

this Emiko story is soooo neeeded. not everyone starting rebirth is familiar with her.

4/5

Green Arrow #7

I don't like the design of the Clock king, but his plan was pretty solid. CW should of thought of this idea. The Arena fight was dope too, along with the art. Now we move on to the ISLAND!

4/5

Green Arrow #8

tumblr_mg9p5eZPUm1qbco56o1_500.gif

Return of the fuckkking king. This is hands down one of the best teams to ever grace rebirth. The art had my jaw on the ground. tears. Slay queen!

I am sorry guys but best colorist has proved himself with this issue. like damn.

anyway lets talk about plot. After the crazy events of the
rig blowing up
Emiko ended up in Japan with her mother, and Ollie, Dinah, and Ty Diggs ended up
on the island
. Dinah does a good job on calling out ollie on his ego, and corniness which is always a delight. This issue was about the two being love birds, but now the action comes in.

5/5 must read issue.

2. Look at this!

I see it! Super cute.

Hulk and Occupy replacing A-Force and Mockingbird is such a downgrade. :(

Nah. Occupy maybe, but I'm all in for Hulk.

I love that you are comfortable in sharing this quantifiably terrible opinion.

He has many bad opinions.

I didn't read the words it but this looks really good.

Words aren't that important. If we liked them we'd be reading real books and not comics.

That is pretty odd. I thought it was much better than a lot of the new books Marvel tried.

Have you read through volume 4? I would initially maybe have agreed (although the vampires in HB's world do have quite a specific history/status) but volume 4 really kind of plants its foot in terms of the mythology of the world. It's not quite as revelatory but it's kind of Baltimore's the island moment. I do appreciate what you're saying though. I think it's maybe just to do with the novel coming first and being more of a co-creation than osme other things. I kind of like that it does it's own thing though. Leaves it very flexible, and a bit easier to jump into.

Speaking of Mignola novels, new book in Feb:

Looks pretty rad. No doubt there will end up being a comic series haha Mig doesn't miss a trick when it comes to franchising.
More Mignola!

mreddie

Champions flopping has me fearing people are already done with the youth moment and want the old guard again. Back to old white people again. Again, NOW Shattered Dreams should have took more advantage with the big names mixed with safe bets.

Messi

Sanford Greene gave me two of this print for free as he was packing up his table. It's massive.

He gave them to me as I had booked a sketch cover but he forgot who I asked for and didn't want to risk guessing. He is gonna get it to me this week and something to make up for the fuck up (I told him not to worry but he said he was really sorry). Great guy.

A book with images scattered here and there is referred to as a light novel.

#AnimeLife

Ha it is a bit more of a real novel. The pictures mostly just pop up at chapter turns and stuff, nothing Cray. There's a few out there, Baltimore, Joe golem, the puppet thing, haven't read that one yet. Father Gaetano's Puppet Catechism, that's it.

TheFlow

Banned
Sanford Greene gave me two of this print for free as he was packing up his table. It's massive.

He gave them to me as I had booked a sketch cover but he forgot who I asked for and didn't want to risk guessing. He is gonna get it to me this week and something to make up for the fuck up (I told him not to worry but he said he was really sorry). Great guy.

wtf that is gorgeous!!! I would love to have that art in Coate's panther run.(Starfleeze is taking a break from drawing it I think)

Top Bottom