• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Cuc_f18VIAAqkjc.jpg

WE BACK BABY

Awww shit. But I already have so much to play AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Call me when they move to a real ammo system.

What do you mwan, like a more realistic one? If so, the new tactical realism mode has a different system of managing ammo (which takes into account ammo you would discard in a clip).

But I'm not a fan of that given how constrained ammo is for most operators anyways. A more realistic system of managing it doesn't work without an across the board ammo increase for OPs, which sounds like a balancing nightmare imo.

I like the current system of having to balance level destruction and saving ammo for the enemies, atleast with certain operators.

Edit: When is Monster Men ending? I want to pick up Detective Comics again.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I finally got around to reading the original Old Man Logan series by Mark Millar, because of all the 'Logan' news going up by the day; also, I wanted to get in to an ongoing regular book.

Mark Milar really truly has a cannibal/vore fetish, doesn't he?

mreddie

I finally got around to reading the original Old Man Logan series by Mark Millar, because of all the 'Logan' news going up by the day; also, I wanted to get in to an ongoing regular book.

Mark Milar really truly has a cannibal/vore fetish, doesn't he?

Civil War is his tamest work and even that has a gore shot.

OML Millar has Dinos eating people and A LOT OF GORE.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Mission accomplished

Stjepan Sejic - Ally and Lisa

You wouldn't believe how over the moon I was with this. Stjepan was really nice. He was the reason I went to the con in the first place.

I was out of town his weekend NFL I'm just catching up on the thread, but Messi all of your commissions look absolutely great. That Harley/Zatanna piece is all time.

MG310, I love yours too. That Nick Fury!

I actually thought ANAD was pretty darn close to a classic Avengers book itself. I mean true there are a lot of new characters but most of them are filling legacy roles. Really the lineup was standard for a pre-Hickman Avengers title. Classic villains. Felt like a classic Avengers book to me.

It really did. Problem with me is that it felt too long to get going, and I really only cared about half the characters: Sam, Miles, Kamala, and Jane. Didn't give a damn about Sam, Tony, and Vision.

Venom: Space Knight #12
At first I was shaky about the art change, but Sandoval really works for Venom. He goves the symbiote the proper amount of fluidity and exaggeration I expect when I picture Venom, Carnage, or any other symbiote characters. That said, this issue made me really want to read Agent Venom, since
I know nothing in regards to Andi, Mania, and the Hell Mark. Also, the elixir storyline is rather boring. I don't particularly care about, especially since I know that they'll be irrelevant once the new book comes around

Black Panther #6
Sometimes this book just makes me feel stupid, since I feel like I fail to comprehend the political and philosophical ideals presented. That said,
the whole Shuri afterlife thing going on is too abstract for me to care and just downright confusing at times. On the other hand, T'challa own personal struggle, as well as the themes presented regarding monarchy, democracy, and feminism are strong, which is good. Powerful and important themes in this day and age, though pardon my ignorance, but is monarchy really a big issue in African countries? I realize that treatment of women is, but is monarchical rule? Seems like a governmental ideal that's becoming increasingly outdated. Or so I'd like to think. I won't pretend to know more about global politics than I do, which isn't much.

On a more comic book level FUCK MAN IT'S THE CREW Y'ALL GET READY YOU AIN'T EVEN SEEN SHIT YET.

Good issue. Good book.
It does bring up a point about how many of the people who are campaigning for it are actually buying into the product they want changed. I mean, we've seen the mass freakouts about certain comic "events" (Batgirl covers, Cap/Thor mantle changes, Hydra Cap), and how many of the people involved in that freakout actually engaged in the medium they were so enraged about.

That's all I'm going to say on it, though

Ross61

This last season of The Office is like...better(?) than last season. It's definitely got more energy than last season. It's kinda funnier, but it's no where near the series highs or really that close to it's earlier lows. But it's definitely more tolerable than the last season.

Hagi

It does bring up a point about how many of the people who are campaigning for it are actually buying into the product they want changed. I mean, we've seen the mass freakouts about certain comic "events" (Batgirl covers, Cap/Thor mantle changes, Hydra Cap), and how many of the people involved in that freakout actually engaged in the medium they were so enraged about.

That's all I'm going to say on it, though

I'm always interested in how large digital sales are becoming as we move forward. I'd like to think that more young people are heading that direction. Anyway brining up SJWs just seems like a smug way to laugh at how these books aren't selling. Good way to reinforce stereotypes about comic readers that should be on the way out at this point.

Bit of self reflection wouldnt go amiss for some invested in this industry.

Ross61

I need DC to keep this Hanna-Barbera thing going. I need to see who they put on and what they do with Secret Squirrel. Oh, and Atom Ant.

I legitimately forgot this existed. And I LOVED the previous game. Damn console exclusives.

It's really great. I do prefer the japanese setting in the first game, architecture etc, & and more tightly wound world, but Rise Of is good times, and does manage to expand on some gameplay stuff from the previous game in a meaningful way. It's also just fucking gorgeous. Gotta jump on that.

Hagi, you go in on any of those comics you were browsing?

Hagi

It's really great. I do prefer the japanese setting in the first game, architecture etc, & and more tightly wound world, but Rise Of is good times, and does manage to expand on some gameplay stuff from the previous game in a meaningful way. It's also just fucking gorgeous. Gotta jump on that.

Hagi, you go in on any of those comics you were browsing?

Sorry man I didn't reply last night to your great post about Baltimore. Im actually in Glasgow today so I'm going to hunt for some of those we talked about. I really like Dark Horse hardcovers so I'm going to try and get Baltinore. Might pick up Frankenstein and Lobster Johnson as well.

Sorry man I didn't reply last night to your great post about Baltimore. Im actually in Glasgow today so I'm going to hunt for some of those we talked about. I really like Dark Horse hardcovers so I'm going to try and get Baltinore. Might pick up Frankenstein and Lobster Johnson as well.

Haha don't apologise. Ugh, I'm so jealous, I was complaining about this to my girlfriend last night, I REALLY miss living up in the city and having a comic book store to go in, and just browse you know? You find stuff that way and try things you might not on a whim. Especially OGNs. Or you get to see the HC in your hands and how nice it is, instead of scouring ebay to see pictures. Well good luck. Frankenstein is a trip, I loved that book. I think Baltimore will serve you well though.

I Wish more publishers put up actual physical pictures of their trades, so you can see the spine etc. I'm into that trade life after all.

Hagi

Haha don't apologise. Ugh, I'm so jealous, I was complaining about this to my girlfriend last night, I REALLY miss living up in the city and having a comic book store to go in, and just browse you know? You find stuff that way and try things you might not on a whim. Especially OGNs. Or you get to see the HC in your hands and how nice it is, instead of scouring ebay to see pictures. Well good luck. Frankenstein is a trip, I loved that book. I think Baltimore will serve you well though.

I Wish more publishers put up actual physical pictures of their trades, so you can see the spine etc. I'm into that trade life after all.

I do enjoy a good trade if I wasn't easily swayed by cheap digital goods and constantly worrying about a lack of physical space I'd keep ramping up my trade spending. Maybe when we finally move and get our own place I'll dive head first and get a proper library collection going. You are right though can't really beat browsing and flipping through stuff in a store. Three page previews on line don't really scratch that itch lol

Zombine

Banned
Thing is though...there's no way to rationalize it as "urban" streetwear unless you're Macklemore trying to climb up the billboard charts.

Eclipse 2

This art makes it hard to tell male characters apart. They all seem the same and it kind of makes it hard to get what they're trying to say in the transitions from flashbacks to now. It wasn't impossible, just took a couple page flips back and forth to understand. Other than that it felt like not much happened in this issue.

Spider-Woman

Fuck you Carol, quit being in every damn book! First half was great, second half bleh.

Deadpool

I really like this 2099 story that it's been telling. Even more now with some things coming together between the two stories.

TheFlow

Banned
The Ultimates #8

yet another book that makes the civil war stuff appealing. Rhodes going down sucks, and Thanos is up to some fuckery. I liked the origin of how they all got together.
4/5

I'm always interested in how large digital sales are becoming as we move forward. I'd like to think that more young people are heading that direction. Anyway brining up SJWs just seems like a smug way to laugh at how these books aren't selling. Good way to reinforce stereotypes about comic readers that should be on the way out at this point.

Bit of self reflection wouldnt go amiss for some invested in this industry.
I'm not supporting what was said or how it was said, but the point at it's very core of, "are the people who campaigned so hard for this even actually invested in its success," is a sentiment worth noting. When people complain about why 'X' character wasn't successful, it's simply because they didn't sell. And then people get angry that Marvel would dare let a character fall back because "they didn't make enough money," not seeming to realize that Marvel is a company that needs money to keep going. They aren't going to push characters that don't sell. Unless there is something they really need out of that character.

And keep in mind, we've all seen how a lot of the people that push so hard for change are the same that say comics are niche and that no one reads them, begging the question of why they even care so much then.

Again, I need to note that I am not against change or "SJWs" or any of that. I'm not attacking them or anyone in this. I'm just pointing out that, if people are going to push for change, then they need to be willing to help sustain that change as well. Otherwise it was all just talk.
Refuse to believe WW is an unknown.

Deadpool #1 selling less than Green Arrow #6?

Dayum.

Marvel's next few moves should be interesting. I'm catching up on the MU slowly, what were the best ANAD books besides Thor & Vision?

Dr strange is pretty rad, although not particularly anad, just the same run that's been going.

In fact strange started as part of anad? I am terrible following this stuff. It's a great book regardless haha. It's my favourite marvel right now alongside thor and vision.

Was Streets of Gotham a good story? Making a list of what I want to grab in the next BOGO sale and I can't recall it showing up in a sale the last 3 years.

Dayum.

Marvel's next few moves should be interesting. I'm catching up on the MU slowly, what were the best ANAD books besides Thor & Vision?

Don't know if these are up on MU already or not:

Spider-Woman
Power Man & Iron Fist
Ms. Marvel
Old Man Logan
All-New Wolverine
Dr. Strange
Spider-Man/Deadpool

Messi

Dayum.

Deadpool Back in Black is a mini series and those sell usually around a quarter or half of the regular book. I'm not sure if Deadpool had an issue last month but if it did it was a between arc mini story.

Deadpool Back in Black is a mini series and those sell usually around a quarter or half of the regular book. I'm not sure if Deadpool had an issue last month but if it did it was a between arc mini story.
It had a issue and a annual on the same day IIRC. Retailers complained about it forcing customers to pick one or the other mostly.

Messi

It had a issue and a annual on the same day IIRC. Retailers complained about it forcing customers to pick one or the other mostly.

Yeah, the annual was dogshit. I read it like an hour ago. The art was insultingly bad for 3/4 of it. The second story by Adam Warren was fine art wise. The Deadpool regular issue is one of the Deadpool 2099 stories and I like those.

Hagi

I'm not supporting what was said or how it was said, but the point at it's very core of, "are the people who campaigned so hard for this even actually invested in its success," is a sentiment worth noting. When people complain about why 'X' character wasn't successful, it's simply because they didn't sell. And then people get angry that Marvel would dare let a character fall back because "they didn't make enough money," not seeming to realize that Marvel is a company that needs money to keep going. They aren't going to push characters that don't sell. Unless there is something they really need out of that character.

And keep in mind, we've all seen how a lot of the people that push so hard for change are the same that say comics are niche and that no one reads them, begging the question of why they even care so much then.

Again, I need to note that I am not against change or "SJWs" or any of that. I'm not attacking them or anyone in this. I'm just pointing out that, if people are going to push for change, then they need to be willing to help sustain that change as well. Otherwise it was all just talk.

Refuse to believe WW is an unknown.

I'm not putting you in any box or anything so no worries there I was talking about the wider attitude to the reactions when diversity doesn't "sell". I don't really know what people expect from those who fight for more representation in books to do except buy it and push it on social media to their friends/others which I've seen countless times before. If it works it works and if it doesn't it doesn't but I'll always side with those who want those kind of things for the industry than those who want the same white characters kicking shit out each other for another 50 years.

I'll take more diverse books that get cancelled in less than 12 issues for 500 Dave

Dayum.

Here are the ones I really like:

Power Man and Iron Fist
Old Man Logan
The Illuminati
Nighthawk
Captain America: Sam Wilson
Captain America: Steve Rogers
Ms. Marvel
The Ultimates
The New Avengers
All-New Wolverine (though I've only read a few issues which were Road to Civil War 2)
Venom: Space Knight
Black Panther
Extraordinary X-Men
Squadron Supreme
Moon Knight
The Mighty Thor
The Vision

Don't touch Uncanny X-Men. It's absolute trash

Top Bottom