• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

I'm not putting you in any box or anything so no worries there I was talking about the wider attitude to the reactions when diversity doesn't "sell". I don't really know what people expect from those who fight for more representation in books to do except buy it and push it on social media to their friends/others which I've seen countless times before. If it works it works and if it doesn't it doesn't but I'll always side with those who want those kind of things for the industry than those who want the same white characters kicking shit out each other for another 50 years.

I'll take more diverse books that get cancelled in less than 12 issues for 500 Dave
I agree. I like diversity as well and I think it should be pushed if not just for the sake of a wider variety of characters and stories. Pushing for it is just one step in the process, however. Actually putting money where your mouth is another. It's why America had best sell fucking gangbusters.

Wow, I hope this continues. I may not like a lot of Rebirth books but I certainly like the overall direction DC is headed and can only hope/wish that Marvel emulates that.

I don't even want them to emulate DC so much as I just want them to stop the whole cyclical bullshit they're so focused on.

Yay! Just arrived here in cold and dark Sweden:

img_3286h0uaq.jpg

Messi

Here are the ones I really like:

Power Man and Iron Fist
Old Man Logan
The Illuminati
Nighthawk
Captain America: Sam Wilson
Captain America: Steve Rogers
Ms. Marvel
The Ultimates
The New Avengers
All-New Wolverine (though I've only read a few issues which were Road to Civil War 2)
Venom: Space Knight
Black Panther
Extraordinary X-Men
Squadron Supreme
Moon Knight
The Mighty Thor
The Vision

Don't touch Uncanny X-Men. It's absolute trash

No Gwenpool? One of marvels best right now imo

No Gwenpool? One of marvels best right now imo

Second Gwenpool. I can't really call it the best, because it's hard to tell if it's building to anything or if it's just spinning it's wheels at this point narratively. But I do think it's Marvel's most creative book and it's easily one of my favorites.

TheFlow

Banned
The ultimates #9

one of the few teams putting in work during ANAD. one of the few instances where knowing the future helped everyone.

4/5

TheFlow

Banned
Late to seeing this, but that is a great cover.

I need to catch up as usual lately. I have such a love/hate relationship with the IDW product.

I read a lot of the main series but everyone told me I was missing a lot of the main story by not reading the minis. Now I own everything up to #58 but can't muster the strength to dive in.

Sanjuro

I read a lot of the main series but everyone told me I was missing a lot of the main story by not reading the minis. Now I own everything up to #58 but can't muster the strength to dive in.

I think I'm right where you are around possibly. I'm basically right around the large #50 issue, and I've picked up during various sales the issues prior and past that issue. The only thing I've read recently was the Batman/TMNT cross over, and that was more fun than it had any business being.

I'm a Mirage junkie. The IDW series just hasn't had the highs I'm looking for, but their approach is solid. I just hate how many variants there are nowadays.

TheFlow

Banned
Ultimates #10

This is why Thanos is one of the most ultimate villains. Don't fuck with this guy or you will be under his foot. America Chavez went ham this issue. like damn can't say Carol didn't deserve it, but still.

4/5

Ultimates #11
8439ee419efb8ebc2ece9c70cc68cb5c45fb4b38_hq.gif

what a savage beat down. like damn. I often forget how much of a powerhouse Thanos is.

Black Panther has been the highlight of the series so far. that man keeps a clear head no matter what.

5/5

time to catch up on Strange

I think I'm right where you are around possibly. I'm basically right around the large #50 issue, and I've picked up during various sales the issues prior and past that issue. The only thing I've read recently was the Batman/TMNT cross over, and that was more fun than it had any business being.

I'm a Mirage junkie. The IDW series just hasn't had the highs I'm looking for, but their approach is solid. I just hate how many variants there are nowadays.
rare to see a big mirage fan around here. I really need to pick up that tmnt/batman crossover. It has been selling great too

TheFlow

Banned
So what'd ya'll think of Cage! #1?
Gave me life. That
cyclops panel was probably the most funny and clever bit this year

The action panels are drawn perfectly giving off a sense of power to to luke. Overall it is one to watch if you are trying to pick up a miniseries

Sanjuro

rare to see a big mirage fan around here. I really need to pick up that tmnt/batman crossover. It has been selling great too

Rare in general to be honest. If IDW didn't have the reprints, I would just assume most would have been forgotten.

I own every issue of the Mirage series and the various other publications they were in around that time. I was kind of hoping Laird would still make an annual issue or something, but seems like things have halted on that front.

I was looking at importing the abominable Charles Christopher trades recently. 15 CAD for the two, not so bad...50 CAD for shipping. And no other way to get it physically. Great comic strips by Karl kerschl but I can't pay £40 for shipping on two books.

Tizoc

Gave me life. That
cyclops panel was probably the most funny and clever bit this year

The action panels are drawn perfectly giving off a sense of power to to luke. Overall it is one to watch if you are trying to pick up a miniseries

I should've mentioned that I already read it by the time I made my post ^^;
But yeah I enjoyed it among the few handful of Marvel comics I'll be following.

I've been hyping the OG TMNT comics long before I joined GAF :p
OG TMNT has that bizarre feel to its story characters and plots, something you'd rarely see nowadays.
...and it all flows so well in that book heh.

TheFlow

Banned
My first experience with tmnt was the 80s cartoon on vhs along with the movies. Didn't know about the comics till Wayyy later

Sandfox

I don't even want them to emulate DC so much as I just want them to stop the whole cyclical bullshit they're so focused on.
There are some things they could emulate, but the actual issues people have with the line are different and should be handled as such.
Haven't read it.

Power Rangers is infinitely better than it has any right to be

Gwenpool was on sale this past weekend. You messed up.

Hagi

Holy shitballs that Transformers Humble Bundle is an amazing deal. Definitely jumping on that.

I didn't find any of the Dark Horse books I was looking for but I did find BRPD vol in Hardcover which is an amazing get for me so I'm happy.

Mindwipe

Holy shitballs that Transformers Humble Bundle is an amazing deal. Definitely jumping on that.

I didn't find any of the Dark Horse books I was looking for but I did find BRPD vol in Hardcover which is an amazing get for me so I'm happy.

I already posted about it, but I'm going to say it again - the TF Humble Bundle is the best deal they've ever done and you are crazy if you don't jump on it.

Volume 3?? If so, I just finished rereading that this morning haha. Fantastic volume, they really start to fuck shit up irreparably.

haha what the hell I know I typed volume 3 in that post but theres no number lol yeah managed to find it in this shitty pop culture store that sold loads of crap for 3 times the price they are worth.

Now to find 4...

Always blame autocorrect. Dude you are in for a ride. The HC too, they aren't as common these days right?

Sanjuro

I've been hyping the OG TMNT comics long before I joined GAF :p
OG TMNT has that bizarre feel to its story characters and plots, something you'd rarely see nowadays.
...and it all flows so well in that book heh.

The really great thing about it was I got back into comics when I finished high school. It was roughly that point where comic book shops were still struggling and the value of back issues were not inflated.

I went into this old shop nearby and the guy said he thought there were back issues somewhere. Basically he had a giant back room of unorganized and not priced comic books. I think I left with 200+ single issues and trades and he didn't charge more than $.$10 for most. Really helped kickstart and almost complete the collection.

The Mirage issues are from around this area so easier to find. A lot of places they are just long gone.

Hagi

Always blame autocorrect. Dude you are in for a ride. The HC too, they aren't as common these days right?

Yeah seems they have been out of print for a while now. It's easier to get 1 and 2 than 3 and 4. I really should have just bought them all when I got the first 2 from amazon. Going to read from the beginning tomorrow I think.

Yeah seems they have been out of print for a while now. It's easier to get 1 and 2 than 3 and 4. I really should have just bought them all when I got the first 2 from amazon. Going to read from the beginning tomorrow I think.

Brilliant man. I don't want to say too much so ill spoil tag even mentioning the character's name but the stuff they do with
daimio
is brilliant in that volume.

Grabbed gears 4, horizon 3 and rise of iron btw. Ill probs be playing gears campaign tonight but if folks wanna group up at some point for any of these, my tag is doniefnwhalberg :)

Really need to get in on turtles, I think I'd dig it.

Top Bottom