• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Owzers

I bought 24 loot boxes.

Got a double halloween reaper box.
two regular legendaries because everyone wants regular Symmetra skins.
Rein and Pharah halloween epics.

prettttttty bad.

I bought 24 loot boxes.

Got a double halloween reaper box.
two regular legendaries because everyone wants regular Symmetra skins.
Rein and Pharah halloween epics.

prettttttty bad.

I took all of the good loot box luck yesterday and left none for you. Sorry not sorry.

Aceun

It was a great week for Superman family books.

Action Comics carries over the events from Superwoman and places Lois Lane center stage. There's so much fun and intrigue in that story.

Superwoman continues the elements from Action Comics and places Luthor in the center of some compromising scenarios. Loving the villain in the Superman story as well and the supporting cast for Superwoman are a great sounding board for her.

New Super-Man is AWESOME. There's an interesting Lex connection, but more importantly the cliffhanger really sets up some great tension for later. I like the take on good vs evil here and what it means when the government is the one that decides.

Haven't read Supergirl yet, but really looking forward to that one!

Hagi

To be a student again!

Maybe a bit hot and heavy for comicsgaf, so i'll tag it out haha, keep the tone of the thread light :)
I totally know what you mean man, but with a kid and a mortgage and so on, I just want it past haha, there's no fun in it for me. Like, even if it's yes this time, are we talking about it again in another year or two? and same for another no vote. At some point we have to decide on a status quo and start talking about what we can do within it, oppose to perennial discussion you know? Anyway, I saw some of your posts in the thread and you talk alot of sense. I don't want to see xenophobia OR hate within the country between ourselves.

The best thing about being a student was all the discounts I could get with my student card. After a year without it I miss that thing dearly lol.

I get what you are saying completely. We have been talking about getting married next year and starting a family so even though I'm not there yet I can totally relate to how shitty this uncertainty can be like. I agree with having a set path for ourselves but I can see why they would jump at the opportunity for another referendum and quite frankly it would be stupid of them not to. You are right though there's absolutely a limit to how much they can keep pushing this before they need to let it go and deal with the shit we have in front of us. I don't really know how all this is going to end up, it's hard to predict things with how big a cluster fuck this year has been for politics heh.

This seems pretty cool but I'm still sceptical about the whole Iron Man aspect of the book. I'd rather it was just Doom being Doom instead of weird Tony Stark stalker.

TheFlow

Banned
I am close to reading 100 issues this week... Damn.

I have a write up for Sam cap

I skipped the standoff tie ins because I could care less but that Godzilla fight looks dope so I might go back. I have to say I overall liked it. Great concept

I also have a write up for sheriff of Babylon, Steve cap, hopefully strange if I get to it.

My brain hurts from all this serious stuff need to get on that Great Lake avengers

Is there any explanation about why Doom is not in Latveria and stalking Tony? Does he remember everything about Secret Wars?

Hyped for this book anyway.

Hagi

Is there any explanation about why Doom is not in Latveria and stalking Tony? Does he remember everything about Secret Wars?

Hyped for this book anyway.

From what I recall Latveria is in civil war and Doom is trying to find his purpose or some shit like that. Bendis is painting him as wanting to move forward but with no clear vision. Tony is a poor substitute for Reed. His interactions with Tony through Iron Man never really felt natural to me.

mreddie

Doom is bored lol. What is left to do after ruling the universe? It's like Obama retiring.

3200818-doom.jpg

Ross61

I hope they do a little better with spreading out the releases though. I feel like last week was a little too heavy on the mini releases. Deadman, Hawkman and another one or two I think? Those could have easily been spread out a little better. Sure they cover different genre's and probably have different audiences but it's still limiting their potential audience in some ways.
Now is it limiting their potential audience? Outside of the Mini's, their wasn't much coming out that week in the name of main titles.

Now is it limiting their potential audience? Outside of the Mini's, their wasn't much coming out that week in the name of main titles.

What? Last week was a pretty big week just on the amount of books. But I also didn't mean releasing them along other books, I just meant releasing all the mini's with each other. If you're a fan of DC and are interested in their mini's I feel like you're more likely to pick up all 4 if they're spread out than if they're on the same day.

Ross61

What? Last week was a pretty big week just on the amount of books. But I also didn't mean releasing them along other books, I just meant releasing all the mini's with each other. If you're a fan of DC and are interested in their mini's I feel like you're more likely to pick up all 4 if they're spread out than if they're on the same day.
I think it boils more down to interest. You can be a DC fan but have no interest in Death of Hawkman or Deadman, then you just aren't going to pick up those books. Also, the books aren't gone so you can just pick them up whenever you like if you did have interest.

TheFlow

Banned
hellboy is in my top 5 favorite runs. the wild hunt/darkness calls/the storm and the fury are above and beyond regular comics.

I think four #1s in a week is fine within a big launch window, which is where we are with both Big Two companies at the moment. Most people are going to find one or maybe two things in there they want to try and maybe stick with one. The #1 junkies like me are going to try them all or most of them no matter what, and pick our favorites to stick with.

I don't think someone who would have bought Deadman or Shade would have bought Death of Hawkman if those books weren't also on shelves. Those books are attractive to very different sorts of readers.

TheFlow

Banned
I think four #1s in a week is fine within a big launch window, which is where we are with both Big Two companies at the moment. Most people are going to find one or maybe two things in there they want to try and maybe stick with one. The #1 junkies like me are going to try them all or most of them no matter what, and pick our favorites to stick with.

I don't think someone who would have bought Deadman or Shade would have bought Death of Hawkman if those books weren't also on shelves. Those books are attractive to very different sorts of readers.

amen. hawkman was the only one I didn't buy. not my cup of tea

TheFlow

Banned
I already read Cap #1 but I might as well re read it to stay fresh. edit: damnit! double post. sorry Warning light spoilers for this first half.

Cap: Sam Wilson #1
lol the white dudes giving him grief on the plane is too funny. KAAAA! KAAA!

Maria Hill is such a bitch in everything I read her in. Like she goes out of her way to be mean. Redwing still a fan favorite among the Americans made me lol. Uh oh now Steve is being a dick?

Cap: Sam Wilson #2
solid chapter. Sam finally realizing that him and cap don't believe the same things. Growing up Black does that to you. Misty Knight pissed as hell for going on a pointless road trip lol. Also I forgot Sam wilson had the power to link up with any bird. cool.

This book was needed at Marvel. Spencer is sparing no expense to talk about both sides of America.

Cap: Sam Wilson #3
SamWilsonCapWolf.png

Misty is slaying me. Her jabs at Cap is perfect. I like the Cap wolf design. overall decent issue nothing special. I had no idea Malus had carnage powers. This is what happens when you decide not to read marvel for almost a decade.

Cap: Sam Wilson #4

Woah Claire Temple! aand that betrayal. smh. some people just can't stay good. Also woah I didn't know Serpent Society(social had that many strong members)
5105121-0664068288-CW9Zg.jpg

Cap: Sam Wilson #5
OK damn Diamondback, I had no idea she went through so much. no wonder she joined back up with the serpents. new falcon is alright so far. no gripes with him

Cap: Sam Wilson #6
Bruh why the hell is Misty the best part about this series. Her and the dialog is what keeps me coming. Sam is cool but I don't like him much as CapWolf. Also Falcon's new outfit suckkkks. that green is ew.

Avengers Standoff Welcome to Pleasant Hill

ahhh so that is where Bucky went. but yo the whole time I thought the guy was somehow Captain America turns out it was
Zemo
. Don't get me wrong I think the pleasant hill program is a great idea, but anything Maria Hill starts is bound to blow up in her face.

Avengers Standoff Assault on Pleasant Hill Alpha
L-O-L. Shield agents breaking into high command to watch NFL is the greatest thing ever. I.T guy is so realistic. Listen man he had a big gun and a metal arm, so I gave him whatever he wanted.
raw
. Anyway I like this cosmic girl and I did not see that Whisperer reveal coming
Rick Jones. lol
Zemo plans have been put into action and shit is about go down!

Cap: Sam Wilson #7
gotta say this is one hell of a cover. now back to my summary
This one awesome Cap tribute. those 2 page spreads <3. loved all the panels where Steve Rogers was the point of view. The Red skull was in pleasant hill too? damn who didn't they capture. But I am glad to see
Cap back in action

Cap: Sam Wilson #8
love the dialog between all the villians. this is what happens when you put the big league players like Zemo along with small fries like Trapster. Kraven slayed me with his trap
surprise birthday party does wonders
I liked all 3 caps teaming up and having a bro-out. Glad Steve is letting Sam continue his legacy.

Assault on Pleasant Hill: Omega
Zemo is ruthless, I guess he really is salty about the whole thing. overall the event was great. and that final battle was awesome. Maria Hill got what was coming to her and Kubik
got to live
Zemo and Red Skull are going to be a pain in the ass to deal with though

That concludes the First Half of Flows Cap reading. The only reason I am cutting this post short is because no one is going to read a post containing more than 20 issues of summaries.

hellboy is in my top 5 favorite runs. the wild hunt/darkness calls/the storm and the fury are above and beyond regular comics.

Yea, those volumes are great. Even avoiding the actual story entirely, Fegredo's art is incredible in those. It's not often the guest artist manages to put in an equal take on the book while the original creator who is an artist himself is still working on it but there you have it. Unbelievable stuff. I love the mix of European folklore, Norse mythology and even
Arthurian legend
that manages to permeate the whole thing without ever clashing too.

I agree mostly, but feel like there is a different mentality going into Mini's. Maybe it's just me, but I'm always interested in mini's because they're more free to try different things and they also fill out the universe so I usually want to check them out. I just hate seeing 4 mini's launch at the same time when I'm wanting to pick them all up.

Guess it's just me though.

At least with DC, marvel's mini's all seem to be tie-ins and shit that mostly just annoy me.

Real talk: hellboy is one of the rare titles that is deserving of being called Graphic Novel.

anyway

Trees, by Warren Ellis, makes me wish that he'd have a go at sci-fi more often.

Yes, im aware, that he writes plenty of it. I want more.

kmfdmpig

I agree mostly, but feel like there is a different mentality going into Mini's. Maybe it's just me, but I'm always interested in mini's because they're more free to try different things and they also fill out the universe so I usually want to check them out. I just hate seeing 4 mini's launch at the same time when I'm wanting to pick them all up.

Guess it's just me though.

At least with DC, marvel's mini's all seem to be tie-ins and shit that mostly just annoy me.

Another thing nice about minis is that you know that (for the most part) you'll get a self contained story that has an ending. That can help make them more satisfying.

TheFlow

Banned
Cap:Steve Rogers #1
that opening action scene reminded how Cap in the movies would act. bust through the fucking window and take on a group of cats without blinking. but yo even though I knew the ending was coming it was still shocking. I feel bad for Spirit.

4/5. need a break.

mreddie

I am caught up on visioin, but I can't find the current ant-man on marvel unlimited. searching.

Problem is like Thor and Cap, it splits from to 4 books in its run

Ant-Man
Ant-Man Annual
Last Days of Ant-Man
Astonishing Ant-Man

Ant Man 1-12
Ant Man whines about how he isn't good enough, teases him being in prison for an unnamed thing. Every issue shows him repeatedly failing his daughter.

Done.

Damn. Rekt.

Sandfox

Ant Man 1-12:Ant Man whines about how he isn't good enough, teases him being in prison for an unnamed thing. Every issue shows him repeatedly failing his daughter.

Done.
One good thing about the run is that
it restablished Cassie as Stinger

TheFlow

Banned
Next week is strong for Marvel/DC. Nothing from Image that interest next week. They saved everything for the 26th.
Superman #9
Black Panther #7
Death of X #2
Mighty Thor #12
Doctor Strange #13
Infamous Iron-Man #1
Captain America: Sam Wilson #14
Raven #2
Nightwing #7
Green Arrow #9
Cave Carson has a cybernetic eye #1
Batman #9

Problem is like Thor and Cap, it splits from to 4 books in its run

Ant-Man
Ant-Man Annual
Last Days of Ant-Man
Astonishing Ant-Man

Damn. Rekt.
I am going to take a rain check because I want to read all of Ghost Rider(the current one) and Nova.

One good thing about the run is that
it restablished Cassie as Stinger

True but
I'm pessimistic about her actually showing up anywhere in this wave with Ant-Man canceled. Wasp seems like the best fit but they won't want to overshadow their new character with a character that has an established fan base, especially with Janet already in the mix. Maybe next time they take a stab at Young Avengers we will see her again (whenever that is). She is still stuck in teenage mode unlike most of her former teammates.

mreddie

I am going to take a rain check because I want to read all of Ghost Rider(the current one) and Nova.

Makes sense, with both getting relaunched, Ant-Man, Howard and Vision are ending weeks next to each other and thought they would be better lookbacks.

tumblr_o7urxkmwyA1qetpq0o8_r2_250.gif

You didn't lie, the book is a drag.

I wouldn't be shocked if we see some parallels from Rudd to comic Lang

True but
I'm pessimistic about her actually showing up anywhere in this wave with Ant-Man canceled. Wasp seems like the best fit but they won't want to overshadow their new character with a character that has an established fan base, especially with Janet already in the mix. Maybe next time they take a stab at Young Avengers we will see her again (whenever that is). She is still stuck in teenage mode unlike most of her former teammates.

Yep,
with both Janet and Nadia pretty much the same power set, I get a feeling Cassie might just revert back to Stature to differ from both, we know she's still Stinger in Champions according to Miles.

Sandfox

True but
I'm pessimistic about her actually showing up anywhere in this wave with Ant-Man canceled. Wasp seems like the best fit but they won't want to overshadow their new character with a character that has an established fan base. Maybe next time they take a stab at Young Avengers we will see her again. Whenever that is.
They mentioned her in Champions lol. I think she'll show up in a guest role at some point with my guesses being either Wasp or Hawkeye. Her being a regular in a book will probably happen further down the line with some different books.

They mentioned her in Champions lol. I think she'll show up in a guest role at some point with my guesses being either Wasp or Hawkeye. Her being a regular in a book will probably happen further down the line with some different books.

Oh right I forgot about that. Well. We shall see ;p

mreddie

I have only heard of Howard but never read any of his stuff. sell me on him.

About a Duck trying to figure out his life, solving cases about the bizarro Infinity Gauntlet, helping out Lea Thompson, being a herald to Galactus for a brief minute, fighting with old people, making jokes about Spider Man, and of course, crossover with Squirrel Girl.

ok I found astonishing ant-man.

So what do I read before this?

Ant-Man (2015)
Ant-man Annual
Last Days of Ant-Man

They actually have certain elements that will be in that series.

TheFlow

Banned
About a Duck trying to figure out his life, solving cases about the bizarro Infinity Gauntlet, helping out Lea Thompson, being a herald to Galactus for a brief minute, fighting with old people, making jokes about Spider Man, and of course, crossover with Squirrel Girl.

Ant-Man (2015)
Ant-man Annual
Last Days of Ant-Man

They actually have certain elements that will be in that series.

ok I will read both by Wednesday.

Top Bottom