• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Extraordinary X-Men Annual #1
This was enjoyable. Fun prison break story that I enjoyed. Just a good old fashioned heist. The second story was heartwarming. Not much to say here, other than it was fun.

Shame you mentioned she's really only into characters she knows, I was going to recommend that Super Dinosaur book my boy has been reading (same age). He's been devouring it. OR maybe that was your wife you mentioned. In which case Super Dinosaur is really great. Super kid friendly, and just good comcis in general. You might have fun reading it together.

I love that your whole family reads the same books as you man

Me too. :) My wife hasn't read much for awhile (other than the first half of Vision which I insisted upon) so I'm jazzed she asked for some stuff to read on our long day of travel. She used to read tons of books, but hopped out right around the time Civil War consumed most of the books she was reading.

Not coincidental timing. I always tell her she should read non-big 2 stuff if she finds the events so distasteful, and she's tried a few, but nothing sticks. If she's reading a comic she wants X-Men in there, or Batman, or Daredevil, etc.

Shame you mentioned she's really only into characters she knows, I was going to recommend that Super Dinosaur book my boy has been reading (same age). He's been devouring it.

Oh that's my wife, not my kid. My kid will read whatever. Super Dinosaur is a good idea, that book is rad. I might toss that on there too, thanks :)

Me too. :) My wife hasn't read much for awhile (other than the first half of Vision which I insisted upon) so I'm jazzed she asked for some stuff to read on our long day of travel. She used to read tons of books, but hopped out right around the time Civil War consumed most of the books she was reading.

Not coincidental timing.

Oh that's my wife, not my kid. My kid will read whatever. Super Dinosaur is a good idea, that book is rad. I might toss that on there too, thanks :)

Haha I went back to the last page and realised >_< is gaf fucking crawwwllling for you guys btw? It's taking ages for pages to load here. Blah.

Hahah I threw Super Dinosaur into the maw that is my kids's room and the first volume came back out quicker than any other comic I've tried him on, so I ended up just grabbing all the rest. The lead is a boy (I don't know if that makes a difference here) but I wouldn't say the book is overtly boy-ish, it's just good times, and there's a fairly diverse cast of main characters!

Also lol, marvel: the story right now, right? CW2: everything I touch turns to shit, apparently.

My partner won't touch anything unless it's EXACTLY in her wheelhouse already haha she loves American Vamp & Wonder Woman (Vampires & Greek Mythology) but I've had ziltch success getting her onto more stuff really (a little bit of success with Coffin Hill, I got an "it's okay").

Death of X #1
I honestly don't know what this book is. All I can say is that I'm not fond of it. Any of it. At all. I was bored. For a multitude of reasons. The art is the biggest one. Book is hard to look at. I'm also not a fan of anyone.

Kinda liked the
Hydra armor though
. That's about it.
There's a 50% off IDW thing going on! The code is just IDW.

I'll mention Locke & Key in the same post for the top of the page again :L
But why Ghostbusters?

Haha I went back to the last page and realised >_< is gaf fucking crawwwllling for you guys btw? It's taking ages for pages to load here. Blah.

Hahah I threw Super Dinosaur into the maw that is my kids's room and the first volume came back out quicker than any other comic I've tried him on, so I ended up just grabbing all the rest. The lead is a boy (I don't know if that makes a difference here) but I wouldn't say the book is overtly boy-ish, it's just good times, and there's a fairly diverse cast of main characters!

Also lol, marvel: the story right now, right? CW2: everything I touch turns to shit, apparently.

My partner won't touch anything unless it's EXACTLY in her wheelhouse already haha she loves American Vamp & Wonder Woman (Vampires & Greek Mythology) but I've had ziltch success getting her onto more stuff really (a little bit of success with Coffin Hill, I got an "it's okay").

I love the image of your kid's room as a gaping maw that accepts sacrifices of trade paperbacks.

I definitely feel your pain man. So many amazing books I've put in front of my wife met with an apathetic shrug. And she despises Jonathan Hickman and Grant Morrison; the tears are welling up just thinking of those resounding rejections. But I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth here, right? At least she reads comics. It's cool.

Reread Deadly Class most recent arc so I could finally read the new issue. Huge spoilers.
my god that last issue is still a total heartbreaker. I don't know if I even want to continue if I am honest. Such a drastic end and requires a big change going forward for me to care. They killed every single person I cared about.

I read it last week for the first time, and while I loved it for many reasons, I do agree with you.
They even killed off Kendall who had just won me over!

I haven't been around for a while, and I haven't read much comics either (the joys of having a 9 month old)! However, I have made it into the 1970's in the Marvel Chronological Reading Order. Boy they don't waste any time tackling social issues.

CuTyRTAWYAAwGZt.jpg

CuTyRS_WgAAeNjN.jpg

Black Panther has totally stepped up as an Avenger for black people, and I know Luke Cage starts in a few hundred issues or so too. For all the strangeness Marvel still has towards women, it's crazy how quickly they stepped up and attempted to represent black people.

I love the image of your kid's room as a gaping maw that accepts sacrifices of trade paperbacks.

I definitely feel your pain man. So many amazing books I've put in front of my wife met with an apathetic shrug. And she despises Jonathan Hickman and Grant Morrison; the tears are welling up just thinking of those resounding rejections. But I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth here, right? At least she reads comics. It's cool.

Haha dude it's more literal than you know, it has a vague sense of sarlac about it. I try and not look directly in too often. And yes, totally, you have a good thing here, do not rock the boat haha. You're clearly doing a better job than me :L

(the joys of having a 9 month old)

As awesome as it is, I do not miss this haha.

Had my fingers crossed more Harrow County would arrive today, but no dice :mad: smh

I am feeling like I'm going to finally do tmnt. Hey, what's another 15 volume series to catch up on right? It's not really on my list but I do see they have similar HCs for transformers. IDW are smart guys with this stuff.

arkon

I am feeling like I'm going to finally do tmnt. Hey, what's another 15 volume series to catch up on right? It's not really on my list but I do see they have similar HCs for transformers. IDW are smart guys with this stuff.

The "problem" with the Transformers HCs is that they include everything like the spotlights and crossover stuff so you get less issues of the two main ongoings in each volume. You don't need those parts as all the good stuff is generally in the ongoing series. This leads to a situation where they're at volume 4 in HCs but only up to something like issue 16 of each ongoing collected and still another 40+ to go. I'd have loved 3 to four 4 HCs with 10-15 issues of just the ongoings collected. But maybe that's just me.

The "problem" with the Transformers HCs is that they include everything like the spotlights and crossover stuff so you get less issues of the two main ongoings in each volume. You don't need those parts as all the good stuff is generally in the ongoing series. This leads to a situation where they're at volume 4 in HCs but only up to something like issue 16 of each ongoing collected and still another 40+ to go. I'd have loved 3 to four 4 HCs with 10-15 issues of just the ongoings collected. But maybe that's just me.

This sounds like the opposite to tmnt, where the HCs are like that but everyone seems to think those are pretty good and borderline necessary. I guess IDW just applied the same logic.

DC characters at the moment:

Midnighter
Red Hood
Jon Kent
Artemus(only been a couple issues she's been in but she's been great)
Maps

Marvel Characters at the moment:

Howard the Duck
Miles
Gabby
Gwenpool
Jessica Drew

Action Comics

I'm really liking how Action is kind of dealing with all the people in the Super family. We get a Lex issue, a Lois issue, a Clark issue. I like how they're doing it to fill out what's going on with all these characters without having to force them all into some small story and instead just spacing it out. The mystery can get annoying without getting much answers but I've come around on how they're doing it.

Suicide Squad

Well that ended fast. I actually liked the backup more than the actual issue this time around.

Going to give it another issue or two but Superwoman really feels like a bait and switch and I'm close to dropping it. Like it was solicited as Lois Superwoman but they killed her first issue and solicits for Action Comics say that Pre 52 Lois is taking over her life. So this was all literally to kill off the previous Lois and "tidy" up their continuity.

Honestly we need just one more Darkhorse sale to close out the year. pray that the CMX annual Christmas sale includes Mignolaverse.

I might actually go in on it if they do a mignolaverse sale and i've got cash, wouldn't mind having all the issues on the computer and such for quick referencing. At latest I think they'd do a sale to get people up to speed for the BPRD book that replaces hell on earth.

James Harren sketch from nycc:

TheFlow

Banned
I might actually go in on it if they do a mignolaverse sale and i've got cash, wouldn't mind having all the issues on the computer and such for quick referencing. At latest I think they'd do a sale to get people up to speed for the BPRD book that replaces hell on earth.

James Harren sketch from nycc:

actually there will be a B.R.P.D sale when the last issue releases. but what about this new BRPD series after hell on Earth?

shingi70

Banned
DC has really been going at it with the crossovers as of late. Too bad theres no way in hell they will partner with Marvel again.

Going to give it another issue or two but Superwoman really feels like a bait and switch and I'm close to dropping it. Like it was solicited as Lois Superwoman but they killed her first issue and solicits for Action Comics say that Pre 52 Lois is taking over her life. So this was all literally to kill off the previous Lois and "tidy" up their continuity.

If you read Action there seems to be something going on with n52 Lois.
P52 Lois got a letter from her and is now having dreams about her and trying to find her. Her going in her place was trying to find information.

shingi70

Banned

Read the solicts for Superman #14, and what's happening in action. I'm guessing what happened to Lois is related to the mystery of what happened to new 52 Clark.

actually there will be a B.R.P.D sale when the last issue releases. but what about this new BRPD series after hell on Earth?

So the mega plan they've been working to all these years, and much more formally since hell on earth began is that the universe will eventually break down into three major cycles. The original BPRD line of series was rebranded under the "plague of frogs" banner, the hell on earth and the books under it, like Abe: the dark and the terrible, constitute the second cycle which officially ends in November with HB in hell, bprd and Abe all wrapped up. Right now the books releasing by Roberson, rise of the black flame, 1950s etc are really just books set in continuity, filling in gaps etc, laying seeds. There will be one more "phase" or mega arc of the BPRD and whatever ancillary books that tell the final end of the mignolaverse, at least as far as the main major narrative built from hellboy #1 goes.

There is a good idea what the premise will be since thematically and conceptually it has been going one way all along but I don't want to breach spoilers unless you want to know the gist. Also I have to read the last few volumes so my opinion of what's next may change radically once I've read them haha. Also Mig taking a break, Arcudi moving on and Allie grabbing people's asses and biting their ears was unforeseen so who knows how thats changed things. I assume they are grooming/testing Roberson for the role with his current books.

Also, Yea, you guys can probably predict sales on cmx much better than me haha

TheFlow

Banned
So the mega plan they've been working to all these years, and much more formally since hell on earth began is that the universe will eventually break down into three major cycles. The original BPRD line of series was rebranded under the "plague of frogs" banner, the hell on earth and the books under it, like Abe: the dark and the terrible, constitute the second cycle which officially ends in November with HB in hell, bprd and Abe all wrapped up. Right now the books releasing by Roberson, rise of the black flame, 1950s etc are really just books set in continuity, filling in gaps etc, laying seeds. There will be one more "phase" or mega arc of the BPRD and whatever ancillary books that tell the final end of the mignolaverse, at least as far as the main major narrative built from hellboy #1 goes.

There is a good idea what the premise will be since thematically and conceptually it has been going one way all along but I don't want to breach spoilers unless you want to know the gist. Also I have to read the last few volumes so my opinion of what's next may change radically once I've read them haha. Also Mig taking a break, Arcudi moving on and Allie grabbing people's asses and biting their ears was unforeseen so who knows how thats changed things. I assume they are grooming/testing Roberson for the role with his current books.

Also, Yea, you guys can probably predict sales on cmx much better than me haha
oh snap that is cool then, and yea a lot of CMX sales are based around Major cons, relaunches, and new movies/shows based on comics.

for example expect to see a Chew sale and Walking Dead within the month.

TheFlow

Banned
Warning this is a recent series so I spoiled tag everything that isn't obvious from the covers starting at #3.

Cap: Steve Rogers #2
The Red Baron is probably produced the biggest mind fuck of all ANAD. This shit is inception tier of fuckery. Like damn this stuff has been planned since Cap:Sam Wilson #1.

Cap: Steve Rogers #3
I think this is the best issue so far. Twist after fucking twist. Cap and the Red Skull are playing a dangerous game of cat&mouse. I also love the flashbacks to
Caps fake memories.
hope they go all the way with it. Also I hope
Jack flag
pulls through or I will be sad.

Cap: Steve Rogers #4
Ah we finally find out so many things in this
1. what happened to steve's parents
the fake history of course
2. where is kubik
Really Bucky
3. Hydra Caps ultimate goal
4. I don't think Baron Zemo
is dead.
can't be that easy.
5.Hydra Cap is not afraid to kill. That shield can do some cool things.

Cap: Steve Rogers #5

This is the big civil war tie in! Cap was behind one of the biggest things to come out of Civil war Banner's
death
. ULYSSES is a great problem to Hydra Cap. The man has the power to reveal Cap to all of the world, so Cap had to come up with some quick problem solving. If you didn't read solicits the ending of this issue is jaw dropping.

overall this is a very interesting series though I can't wait for Cap to become good again :/

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It's pretty cool the two books crossing over like they did. You'd be missing out on 3 issues of Vader if you pass on it.

I'd say read Vader Down for some book interactions between Vader and the rebellion.

We're you only.intrested in Vader or just straight wars books in general.

i was hoping to find time to watch Season 5 of Clone Wars and read Marvel's Darth Vader before the next SW movie drops.

upon looking it up, Vader Down seems to be only 1 'extra' issue of Vader and 3 issues of SW. not too much of an extra time investment so i'll check it out!

anyone know the reading order?

Vader 12 -> Vader Down 1 -> Star Wars ?? -> ??

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Death of X #1
I honestly don't know what this book is. All I can say is that I'm not fond of it. Any of it. At all. I was bored. For a multitude of reasons. The art is the biggest one. Book is hard to look at. I'm also not a fan of anyone.

Kinda liked the
Hydra armor though
. That's about it.

The Death of X was my last hope to get back into X books. I'm off them all now. That book was a POS, but luckily I got it for free for buying Champions.

shingi70

Banned
i was hoping to find time to watch Season 5 of Clone Wars and read Marvel's Darth Vader before the next SW movie drops.

upon looking it up, Vader Down seems to be only 1 'extra' issue of Vader and 3 issues of SW. not too much of an extra time investment so i'll check it out!

anyone know the reading order?

Vader 12 -> Vader Down 1 -> Star Wars ?? -> ??

Vader Down 1
Darth Vader 13
Star Wars 13
Vader 14
Star Wars 14
Darth Vader 15

Star Wars rebels is surprisingly solid as well. The show

It is, but it hasn't hit the Clone Wars highs yet.

It's funny, because I was contemplating putting all Star Wars characters on my Marvel list.

Star Wars and Vision are the only things I read from Marvel so they won by default. But I could see them winning out even if I read other Marvel books. I love Vader and the cast of characters that were introduced and actually getting their own book in December. The droids are fantastic.

Top Bottom