• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Top 5 Marvel characters at the moment.

1. Darth Vader
2. 0-0-0
3. BT-1
4. Dr. Aphra.
5. Vision

Top 5 DC characters at the moment.

1. Superman
2. Jon Kent (Superboy)
3. Casey Brinke
4. Danny the _______
5. Harley Quinn

Messi

I read the first Darth Vader HC and really enjoyed it. I was worried for Aphra though. She was playing a dangerous game.

CusadZeVUAAQcP9.jpg
One of these could not give less of a fuck.

aaand trees caught up. Quite enjoyable. Easy-going book, really. Some wonderful dialogue in there, and the raw velocity of the violence displayed suits the artist's talent very well.

...now noticing there was 9 month gap between the last couple of issues. Oh gods, it's gonna be another Planetary, ain't it?

Boogiepop

I have read my big old mass of Marvel backlog, and have more or less emerged with a pull list (via Comixology) for the first time in my life.

Non-Marvel:
Sonic and Sonic Universe (they're better than you probably think, I swear!)
Walking Dead
Doom Patrol

Marvel "Holy crap I love these enough that I'm probably going to double dip for nice physical copies" tier:
Gwenpool
Power Man & Iron Fist
Old Man Logan
and kind of Doctor Strange

Marvel "I am going to keep pulling these" tier:
Squirrel Girl
Mighty Thor
Amazing Spider-man
All New Wolverine
Spider-man/Deadpool
Spider-Woman (man that first trades worth of this one was really, really good, though)
Totally Awesome Hulk
Ultimates
Hellcat
Extraordinary X-men (though this one is borderline and I may drop it in the end)

Marvel "Dropping but possibly pick back up via sale or MU" tier:
Black Panther (sorry, I can see the quality, but it just wasn't clicking right with me at all)
Mockingbird (same)
Invincible Iron Man (really just didn't like it)
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur (toughest cut, but just wasn't quite doing enough for me)
A-Force

"Oops, I didn't buy enough to reasonably continue until another sale or something" tier:
Web Warriors
Spider-Gwen
Ms. Marvel (damn Champions sale still leaving like 5-6 issues that weren't on sale making it all awkward and expensive to fully catch up)
and Sam Wilson Cap, though I still need to read that one

Oh, and I have all of Vision, though waiting on the last one to read that. And I finished Howard, which I really enjoyed.

Now to hope that DC actually makes it feasible to catch up on their series digitally without needing to spend a crapton right now, so I could balance this list a little better...

(I've got some stuff I'm also staying firm trade-waiting on, such as the Mignolaverse, TMNT, etc, and I'm kind of aiming to be mainly fiscally responsible on Image and just buying their stuff in sales, since those are so frequent and vast in coverage. But we'll see how that goes).

Boogiepop

Welcome to the game, Boogie!

Thanks! We'll see how it goes, as all the reading I did was mostly just catching up on those series from when I bought them in the last line-wide sale and whittling down. So it'll be the coming months that show how I like pulling a series monthly instead of trade waiting.

Oh, and I forgot: Tana Ford did indeed kill Silk. Like, I was liking it for the "volume 0" a ton, and I can tell I'd still like it otherwise, but her art has just destroyed the book for me, and it sucks. Screw artist changes mid-run, at least 99% of the time.

Also also, reading through Doctor Strange taught me for the first time that Baron Mordo has a first name, and it's Karl. That's just... kind of disappointing. Takes away a bit of your mystique there, man...

Can we talk about how great Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe was?

First off, it really felt like an actual old school OGN. A long form story that was super important to the character, amazingly funny and smart and sweet. God damn, it was so good.

mreddie

Can we talk about how great Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe was?

First off, it really felt like an actual old school OGN. A long form story that was super important to the character, amazingly funny and smart and sweet. God damn, it was so good.

Feels like every year, Marvel makes me buy a Novel but dammit, they fucking ace it.

But we're talking about Squirrel Girl, man. What are we talking about? Squirrel Girl? We're talking about Squirrel Girl, man. We're talking about Squirrel Girl. We're talking about Squirrel Girl. We ain't talking about a legit superhero. We're talking about Squirrel Girl, man. When you come to this thread, and you see me post, you see me post, don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about Squirrel Girl right now. We talking about Squirrel Girl...

VanWinkle

But we're talking about Squirrel Girl, man. What are we talking about? Squirrel Girl? We're talking about Squirrel Girl, man. We're talking about Squirrel Girl. We're talking about Squirrel Girl. We ain't talking about a legit superhero. We're talking about Squirrel Girl, man. When you come to this thread, and you see me post, you see me post, don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about Squirrel Girl right now. We talking about Squirrel Girl...

Tragic, what's your absolute FAVORITE Rebirth book? Like, the one you're just really psyched to come out every issue.

Tragic, what's your absolute FAVORITE Rebirth book? Like, the one you're just really psyched to come out every issue.

I'd struggle to say I'm psyched about any of them. But the standout favorites are Green Arrow and Nightwing, pre-Night of the Boring Men. Green Arrow is by far the best. Detective and Superman are tier 2. I buy Batman because it's Batman.

The rest I can easily skip and put that $6 towards comics that are actually enjoyable. Image, Mignolaverse, and Vertigo backlog. I'm reading Swamp Thing right now, and it's better than anything DC or Marvel are currently publishing.

/oldmanyellingatclouds.gif

I'd struggle to say I'm psyched about any of them. But the standout favorites are Green Arrow and Nightwing, pre-Night of the Boring Men. Green Arrow is by far the best. Detective and Superman are tier 2. I buy Batman because it's Batman.

The rest I can easily skip and put that $6 towards comics that are actually enjoyable. Image, Mignolaverse, and Vertigo backlog. I'm reading Swamp Thing right now, and it's better than anything DC or Marvel are currently publishing.

/oldmanyellingatclouds.gif

Alan Moore Swamp Thing? Yeah, that's hard to beat.

Ross61

Didio and Lee confirm that as of right now Batwoman, JLA, and Super Sons are the Rebirth 2nd wave.
Nrama: This second wave of "Rebirth," is this where we could see the return of the JSA or the Legion of Super-Heroes? These classic DC properties that didn’t get a spotlight in “Rebirth”?

Lee: Geoff Johns certainly laid the groundwork for those things in DC Universe: Rebirth #1, through a large, epic storyline. And I think behind the scenes, we’ve given ourselves that two-year window to tell the story. So I think you’re gonna see things slowly teased out through stories like Justice League vs. Suicide Squad, but those characters aren’t part of wave 2. Wave 2 is Batwoman, Super Sons, and Justice League of America. We actually pared down that list from an initial launch list, because we realized with the success of “Rebirth” that we actually have time to add to the line, and make sure we don’t dilute the line, and the brand awareness, and the good will we’ve generated from “Rebirth.”

And as with all things, you want the right creative team in place. I think, when we talk about bringing the generational aspect back to the universe, clearly that means we’re gonna be talking about those titles that you just mentioned, those characters you just mentioned, but that also means they have to fit into the bigger storyline that we’re weaving, and also give the the right creative teams to give them their best chance at success.

It's disappointing but I honestly get it.

Didio and Lee confirm that as of right now Batwoman, JLA, and Super Sons are the Rebirth 2nd wave.

It's disappointing but I honestly get it.

I swear Lee and Didio have been replaced by robots from the future somehow. The Rebirth launch, the cautious second wave, getting the creative right...I don't even recognize these guys. I'm still not wild about twice-a-month, I've got a handful of other complaints, but even I must admit that it has been fucking masterful. Based on this interview, it wasn't luck, either. So yeah. Robots.

I mean, I wish JSA and Shazam were coming sooner but I appreciate what they're doing, here.

Sandfox

I swear Lee and Didio have been replaced by robots from the future somehow. The Rebirth launch, the cautious second wave, getting the creative right...I don't even recognize these guys. I'm still not wild about twice-a-month, I've got a handful of other complaints, but even I must admit that it has been fucking masterful. Based on this interview, it wasn't luck, either. So yeah. Robots.

Johns probably told them what to do after he started focusing on other things.

VanWinkle

I mean, I wish JSA and Shazam were coming sooner but I appreciate what they're doing, here.

Agreed with all of this. Geoff Johns HAD to have played a much bigger role in this relaunch than previously.

Messi

Reread Deadly Class most recent arc so I could finally read the new issue. Huge spoilers.
my god that last issue is still a total heartbreaker. I don't know if I even want to continue if I am honest. Such a drastic end and requires a big change going forward for me to care. They killed every single person I cared about.

Bernbaum

Comixology have the full run of Fear Itself at 50% off. I'm thinking of picking up just the core series and associated X-books/Wolverine. Any other tie-ins worth picking up?

There's bleeped cussing but your kid was likely gonna learn from TV

There's unbleeped cussing in my house fairly regularly so I'm not too fussed about that

She can handle relatively mature content, I just wanted to make sure there was nothing that was gonna give her nightmares or anything. She's sensitive to scary stuff but that's about it.

mreddie

There's unbleeped cussing in my house fairly regularly so I'm not too fussed about that

She can handle relatively mature content, I just wanted to make sure there was nothing that was gonna give her nightmares or anything. She's sensitive to scary stuff but that's about it.

It's fine then...the OTHER GLA in MU is the one that's not as tame.

It's fine then...the OTHER GLA in MU is the one that's not as tame.

Yeah, hehe, that's why I was asking ;)

Okay, bearing in mind their requirements (big 2 capes only; recent books; nothing with a tie-in or crossover) the wonderful wife gets
All-Star Batman
Black Widow
Dr. Strange
Gwenpool
Jessica Jones
Old Man Logan
Spider-Man & Deadpool
The Vision (she's already read about half of this though)

And the wonderful daughter gets
Great Lakes Avengers
Gwenpool
Legend of Wonder Woman
New Super-Man
Silver Surfer
Superman
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe

...plus all the other crap she reads

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Hahah, I got my friend,to start reading Wic+Div by getting him the first hardcover with issues 1-11, and then he got all annoyed that it ended where it did. 11's the one where
Inanna and Laura/new Persephone die*
. I promised him that what he read was only half of what was out so far, which helped.

Okay, bearing in mind their requirements (big 2 capes only; recent books; nothing with a tie-in or crossover) the wonderful wife gets

Those are still pretty good lists, though.

No no no, see Lee is the robot. I swear to god that man just agrees, laughs, and nods to everything. The Lee we see and hear about in interviews is the robot. The real Jim Lee is locked in a tower.

Sandfox

Has your wife tried Spider-Woman? Just a general recommendation since it breaks the rules lol.

Neither of them want anything to do with Jane, that makes me so sad like all the time.

Has your wife tried Spider-Woman? Just a general recommendation since it breaks the rules lol.

She has a secret additional rule: she is one of those character-picky people we speak of only in low murmurs around these parts. If she doesn't already know who the character is, she isn't interested. It has to be someone she likes or someone she is curious about (i.e., Dr. Strange).

I'm rolling the dice with Gwen. She's gonna land with one of 'em, I know it.

IDW linewide 50% sale on CMX this weekend using code IDW. Stacks with the horror sale they also are doing

Sounds like some folks could read Locke & Key for the first time if they haven't, and in itme for halloween no less. I can't really recommend anything else at IDW, but I would recommend Locke & Key just as fast as I recommend Y The Last Man. GOAT run. I've not read this fireman book yet but imo still Hill's defining work, even over his novels.

Nice, I have the Star Wars OHC and Darth Vader OHC and I need to read them soon!

Pics!

I love that your whole family reads the same books as you man

Top Bottom