• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Boogiepop

Hahaha are the Ghostbusters comics that bad? I don't keep up with a lot of this kind of stuff.

They're actually perfectly solid. Like, unlike TMNT and MTMTE, I wouldn't recommend them to people who aren't fans. But if you're the type of person interested in reading a Ghostbusters comic, they do a good job of that and you'll probably get what you want out of them.

Where have you been? People fuckin' love bad comics.

I thought Squirrel Girl didn't sell?

People will probably read it till after JLvsSS when JLA launches.

I'm happy with Trinity being my JL book until JLA shows up. After getting a bit of Johns' JL it's just so hard to not like the Justice League book. I may go back and read the rest of Johns' run before I picked comics back up.

Phamit

I didn't like Night of the Monster Men. It just didn't felt right, like fighting these Monsters or
turning
into Monsters. They probably went for a Power Ranger type story, because that's the only explanation I have for those
goofy Watchtowers with the Symbols
. The whole event feels out of place and not what I want from a Bat-Book.

Sandfox

Hopefully this leads to an X-line relaunch and maybe we get some good X books out of that, but right now the only hope for a good X book lies with Extraordinary and, well, that's a mixed bag as it is.

You couldn't have picked up Edward Scissorhands?

I don't really see how this could end with them not doing a relaunch lol.

I don't really see how this could end with them not doing a relaunch lol.

I suppose they could have a new status quo for the books but keep the same titles and writers on-board. Honestly though, it feels like they only just relaunched and it's already time to pull the plug on the team books. Who knows at this point.

tim1138

I'm happy with Trinity being my JL book until JLA shows up. After getting a bit of Johns' JL it's just so hard to not like the Justice League book. I may go back and read the rest of Johns' run before I picked comics back up.

If you go back and read the older arcs for Johns JL run, you can safely start with vol 3 (Throne of Atlantis). The first year was forgettable at best.

Hahaha are the Ghostbusters comics that bad? I don't keep up with a lot of this kind of stuff.

Likely!

Unless you have a robot/sci-fi fetish

Who doesn't?

You couldn't have picked up Edward Scissorhands?

I hated that movie. I should totally buy the comics. I even considered the Crow, because I'm a great judge of quality.

No robot fetish. Big Tom King fan.

Why not both? My Venn diagram is all inclusive.

The recycle bin usually

Perfect response. Accurate, too. Nobody reads their Humble Bundle comics.

They're actually perfectly solid. Like, unlike TMNT and MTMTE, I wouldn't recommend them to people who aren't fans. But if you're the type of person interested in reading a Ghostbusters comic, they do a good job of that and you'll probably get what you want out of them.

I've totally redeemed myself!

I was told Night of the Monster Men was the event of the year after two issues...

It sort of...was. I mean, those first two issues were really damn good. It's a shame the whole thing collapsed the following week. I still haven't even purchased the final issue from Wednesday, because fuck that crossover.

I was told Night of the Monster Men was the event of the year after two issues...

I liked the first two issues, though not nearly that much, but the next two issues and nothing still happened I was way out on it. Still haven't read the last issue because I doubt anything will still happen.

If you go back and read the older arcs for Johns JL run, you can safely start with vol 3 (Throne of Atlantis). The first year was forgettable at best.

Thanks, that definitely helps.

Aye, I'm through the first three volumes. I really enjoyed the story where he visits the pilgrims at the beach in California. Abe's arc is second only to Hellboy for me, they're both such tragic figures.

Oh 100%. I was going to do a Hellboy top 5 to take the piss, but it surprised me how close up there Abe is with HB. He's such an intelligently written character. I honestly have a lot of thoughts about the whole mignolaverse I've been holding on to until hell on earth is done but Abe is really tragic, the life put upon him. It's sad he and Hellboy couldn't have done more of it together but such is their journeys, alone. My huge surprise with that series is just how good Scott Allie's writing is. I liked the stuff he did in the Pickens County horror but it's SO good on this series. You suddenly realise how much you were missing that ground level view until you start to follow Abe's journey through the apocalypse, and he really nailed the character.

Fiumara bros. are the best thing since Harren too, the Abe redesign is so awesome (it's a goddamn frog man!), the monster designs, their sense of atmosphere and place.

Hahaha

tim1138

I liked the first two issues, though not nearly that much, but the next two issues and nothing still happened I was way out on it. Still haven't read the last issue because I doubt anything will still happen.

Here's the reading order to follow:

Vol 3: Throne of Atlantis
Vol 4: The Grid
Trinity War (standalone trade)
Vol 5: Forever Heroes
Forever Evil
Vol 6: Injustice League
Vol 7: Darkseid War pt 1
Justice League Darkseid War: Power of the Gods
Vol 8: Darkseid War pt 2

In a perfect world you would alternate issues of what's collected on vol 5 and Forever Evil, since that's how it was written, but DC collected them separately. Stuff that happens in JL affects Forever Evil, so that's why I have that one listed first.

Oh 100%. I was going to do a Hellboy top 5 to take the piss, but it surprised me how close up there Abe is with HB. He's such an intelligently written character. I honestly have a lot of thoughts about the whole mignolaverse I've been holding on to until hell on earth is done but Abe is really tragic, the life put upon him. It's sad he and Hellboy couldn't have done more of it together but such is their journeys, alone. My huge surprise with that series is just how good Scott Allie's writing is. I liked the stuff he did in the Pickens County horror but it's SO good on this series. You suddenly realise how much you were missing that ground level view until you start to follow Abe's journey through the apocalypse, and he really nailed the character.

Fiumara bros. are the best thing since Harren too, the Abe redesign is so awesome (it's a goddamn frog man!), the monster designs, their sense of atmosphere and place.

I would love for a book that's just Abe and Hellboy traveling the world and fighting monsters and demons and stuff, that'd be so great. They are both very pensive characters, I love it so much. My Hellboy top 5 would be:

Hellboy
Abe
Liz
Howards
Iosif

TheFlow

Banned

First 2 were awesome
3 one was meh
4 was awesome
5. Was meh

I already know they are going to rush the conclusion because too many things are left open for a 22 page book.

First 2 were awesome
3 one was meh
4 was awesome
5. Was meh

I already know they are going to rush the conclusion because too many things are left open for a 22 page book.

The issues on their own I feel like can be argued for but I feel like as an overall event it's been pretty blah. The first two issues seemed to be fun and set up but going into the next issues nothing came of the hurricane, nothing really came of Strange until issue 5, batman and batwoman were on flying motorcycles the entire time and Batman still was able to find time to bitch about people being in danger.

I just get to the last issue still not really knowing what the point of it all is. It comes down to Strange manipulating people into committing suicide to later become monsters that represent the different parts of Batman to just distract Batman from Strange to take his time cosplaying as Batman himself? I just go into the last issue thinking WTF and I just don't have the urge to read it.

Believe it or not, no.

It's like... Humans turning into robots.

tumblr_ljpmgrOs9j1qgma7so1_500.gif

I didn't care for Trinity War and Forever Evil was when I dropped almost every N52 book I was reading, but I enjoyed Darkseid War quite a lot. I appreciated how easy it was to jump into, and that it managed to tell a big, important story while remaining fairly self-contained.

Yeah yeah yeahhhhh

Ross61

I wonder why DC only gets Tom Taylor on special projects, Whenever he's on an ongoing it's either promotional video game comic like Injustice. And when he was on an actual ongoing, it was something out of the main universe (Earth 2). But the times he's been the main universe, Batman/Superman and Green Lantern Corps: Edge of Oblivion, he did a really great job. He could definitely take over the GLS/Hal Jordan and GLC from Vendetti/Humphries, take over or co-write Justice League, or write Trinity with a co-write from Manapul.

I haven't bought it in ages and I'm not really sure why. I'm sure Brian can tell you.

But that might change after I read USGBUtMU this weekend.

You are the only person I would recommend it to.

But he could be spending that money on Overwatch loot boxes. Stop leading our youth astray.

I have read 0 issues of it and assure you that this is simply not the case.

This Death of X event ends with every X character in a mass grave. Except Illyana. Everyone loves Illyana.

What about Eva!?

I know someone who has a legitimate robot fetish.

Don't look at me.

Then again, I'd fuck it.

TheFlow

Banned
The issues on their own I feel like can be argued for but I feel like as an overall event it's been pretty blah. The first two issues seemed to be fun and set up but going into the next issues nothing came of the hurricane, nothing really came of Strange until issue 5, batman and batwoman were on flying motorcycles the entire time and Batman still was able to find time to bitch about people being in danger.

I just get to the last issue still not really knowing what the point of it all is. It comes down to Strange manipulating people into committing suicide to later become monsters that represent the different parts of Batman to just distract Batman from Strange to take his time cosplaying as Batman himself? I just go into the last issue thinking WTF and I just don't have the urge to read it.

Damn that pretty much sums up the event.

at this point I am just happy to get back to the normal arcs.

Malyse

Justice League Gods and Monsters is ridiculously good. The web shorts, the movie, the tie in comic:, all of it is top tier.

TheFlow

Banned
Read the article. Cage and black Mariah are definitely black stereotypes of that era but it wasn't like the writer wasn't pulling the source material out of his ass. He gave us a faithful adaption of the old school cage and crew. Unfortunately that also brought with it the bad as well. I didn't like the use of BET and other things in the article. Almost felt like I was reading an article about black people from white people. I enjoyed cage and it makes me appreciate the work that is being done in Pm&IF(2016). Cage is still drawn with ridiculous body proportions and Mariah is still super fat after decades but I like that. It fits the cartoony art of both books

Top Bottom